Beer freshness question: Pliny, Just Outstanding?

Discussion in 'US - West' started by IPAGeorge, Mar 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IPAGeorge

IPAGeorge Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2014 Illinois

Being in Chicago I don't always have Pliny so I want to ask some of you west coast guys your opinion. Should a Feb 15th Pliny still taste pretty close to fresh? Also getting Kern Just Outstanding that was Feb 24th. That also. Should both be tasting pretty fresh still?

2. DoubleSimcoe

DoubleSimcoe Poo-Bah (2,965) Jan 7, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

40-day-old Pliny the Elder? OUTRAGEOUS!!! I would pour it down the drain and send angry letters to California.

3. offthelevel_bytheplumb

offthelevel_bytheplumb Devotee (402) Aug 19, 2013 Illinois

You might enjoy drinking from the toilet more than that shit.

4. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poo-Bah (2,902) Jun 18, 2002 Arizona
    Society

Decent.

I prefer draft

jrnyc likes this.
  5. IPAGeorge

Are you guys being serious?

DoubleSimcoe likes this.
  6. patpbr

patpbr Initiate (0) May 25, 2005 Ohio

I would try it IPAGeorge

7. IPAandGreenChile

IPAandGreenChile Initiate (0) Jun 25, 2014 Colorado

Old Pliny is crap. Seriously, within a few weeks it's world class. After a few weeks it barely mediocre. I didn't believe it until I experienced it.

8. NorCalMajoc

NorCalMajoc Initiate (0) Jul 3, 2014 California

I'm having a Pliny right now dated 2/24. It's still damn tasty. As good as fresh? No but still very good in my opinion.

9. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,771) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Pliny falls off faster than any ipa I've ever had, if it's over 30 days it's probably past peak. I'd probably put ZD in this class too.

SpecialAgentDaleCooper and jrnyc like this.
  10. IPAGeorge

I totally agree with ZD. And I'm glad I asked you guys. Thank you

jrnyc likes this.
  11. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (7,203) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

This. IMHO, the other folks on the thread are having some fun with you. Enjoy!

12. IPAGeorge

Now I'm more confused than I was before asking

OneBeertoRTA likes this.
  13. pinballplayer

pinballplayer Disciple (356) Jul 2, 2014 California
    Trader

Does Kern bottle date JO? I had one over the weekend and couldn't locate a date.

14. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Crusader (738) Mar 28, 2009 California

Just drink it and make your own obeservarion. It's not like you're going to return it. Both beers will still be good, will it be as good as a week old? Will you or the majority of people really able to taste a difference?

Briesch and nc41 like this.
  15. nc41

Society Trader

Well try it for yourself is the only answer. I'm sensitive to turning malty ipas, some guys may not be. I wouldn't bother with 6 week Pliny, but that's me,

16. GetMeAnIPA

No they don't.

pinballplayer likes this.
  17. IPAGeorge

No. The guy in trading with told me this.

18. IPAGeorge

Its a trade so I can either do it or not. I can just find a trade for fresher. I'm asking opinions from people that know. And I can totally taste the difference between fresh and not fresh on certain IPA's so I'm sure some people with the experience will know.

19. HeyKid

HeyKid Initiate (73) Jun 5, 2014 California

:rolling_eyes:

20. nc41

Society Trader

You forgot the try it for yourself part, should have quoted that.

21. schuey1010

schuey1010 Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2009 California

The only place where I have seen a kern date is on the box of the 12 JO's

pinballplayer likes this.
  22. HeyKid

HeyKid Initiate (73) Jun 5, 2014 California

That wouldn't have been as fun though

nc41 likes this.
  23. pourmeanothr

pourmeanothr Initiate (0) May 26, 2010 Colorado

If my Plineyz is more than a couple hours old I usually just drainpour it as a sign of respect.

In all seriousness - will it taste pretty close to fresh? No, not really, because they really aren't close. If you're thinking of buying them, I would just save the money. If you already have them and you're weighing it, I say drink 'em - they will probably taste fine, albeit nothing like the quality closer to bottling.

24. spark3148857

spark3148857 Crusader (773) Dec 4, 2010 Ohio

I picked up two Plinys at whole foods bottled on 3/24/15 but decided not to buy them because they were probably past their peak :wink:

25. IPAGeorge

Dick

spark3148857 likes this.
  26. GetMeAnIPA

On two seperate beersmith homebrewing podcasts the guests, one was Mitch steel, stated citra hops fall off faster than any other hop and are extremely sensitive to oxygen.

jakecattleco and IPAGeorge like this.
  27. DoubleJ

DoubleJ Poo-Bah (5,886) Oct 13, 2007 Wisconsin
    Society

IPA freshness is like sex. When it's great, it's really great. And when it's "off", it's still pretty good.

28. schuey1010

schuey1010 Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2009 California

Bo Dereks tits......... I like sex!

29. spark3148857

spark3148857 Crusader (773) Dec 4, 2010 Ohio

I actually asked for Blind Pig (they keep the RR in the walk in cooler by customer request only) and she came back with two Pliny explaining that they didn't get Blind Pig this week. I said "well if you insist." But really it is the freshest that I've ever gotten from a WF in SF so I was pretty surprised to see the date.

IPAGeorge likes this.
  30. bnelson997

bnelson997 Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2013 California

Can confim as a KRBC local that they only put the bottling date on their cases and usually deliver to at least local stores same day. The So Cal stores usually take a week or so before their cases get to them.

31. reefer_bob

reefer_bob Disciple (302) May 13, 2014 California
    Trader

IMO Pliny and Pig to 45 days is perfectly outstanding. 60 days is falling off. 90 days is not good at all.

PeprSprYoFace and IPAGeorge like this.
  32. Earlycsquid

Earlycsquid Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2013 California

unless you're sucking it out of the spiget, you may as well drain pour it.

33. Rbarnes4381

Rbarnes4381 Initiate (171) Oct 29, 2013 California
    Trader

I have purchased 2-3 week old bottles of Pliny from the brewery before, so if they are willing to sell them they must still be good.

34. KRBCEric

KRBCEric Initiate (119) Jan 6, 2009 California

We only date the cases of IPA but should be getting a bottle coder in the next few months.

We did not bottle on Feb 24th, but did on Feb 19th. That run had an unusual amount of sediment in the bottles for reasons I don't really need to go into here.

If you see a bunch of yeast/hops on the bottom of the bottle please pour it carefully and leave the last little bit in the bottle. The beer is still really good (think bottle conditioned), but if you get all that sludge in your glass it will adversely affect your experience. I actually had a few bottles last night...

35. Alpha309

Alpha309 Initiate (0) Nov 13, 2014 California

I must have a bottle from that batch in my fridge that I picked up a few days ago. I noticed the sediment when I was putting it away. Drinking it tonight.

36. dcgunman

dcgunman Meyvn (1,337) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Society Trader

Was at RRBC the last 2 days. Bought bottles of Pliny, Pig and 2-56. All pliny bottles were dated 2-27-15! I mean WTF! Guys were leaving out with cases dated 2-27-15.
    A month old pliny out of RRBC. I expected fresh bottles from the source. I'm glad I bought only 4 pliny bottles. The Pig and 2-56 were 2 weeks old. I guess the guys leaving out with month old cases were to F'd up to realize the date. Or they are planning to drink it all up ASAP.

BartS likes this.
  37. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,170) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Trader

It starts falling off at hour 23.

38. jwolfe1311

jwolfe1311 Initiate (0) Oct 18, 2014 California

By the time anyone gets any Pliny east of the Mississippi its probably seen sun, 90 degree heat and 19 temp changes. Any Hoppy Ipa would suck after that.

39. xraided81

xraided81 Aspirant (251) Jan 9, 2008 California
    Trader

had a 6 week old pliny bottle at Stuffed Sandwich last week and it was horrible. Completely had fallen off. They also had a keg of Blind Pig which was also bad, oxidized and super malty, and a few shades darker than it usually is .im guessing it had to have been 6 months old? Blind Pig is one of my top 5 IPAs.

IPAGeorge likes this.
  40. xraided81

xraided81 Aspirant (251) Jan 9, 2008 California
    Trader

and for the Just Outstaning dating question: my buddy picked up a case for me at KRBC the day after the super bowl and it was dated 1/16/15, im assuming that was the bottle date

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.