Beer freshness question: Pliny, Just Outstanding?

Discussion in 'US - West' started by IPAGeorge, Mar 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IPAGeorge

IPAGeorge Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2014 Illinois

This is ridiculous! If you can't get it fresh from the source where can you get it? I'm thinking about not even trying now...

2. IPAGeorge

Unless you are trading. I'm pretty sure they don't distro east on Miss

3. offthelevel_bytheplumb

offthelevel_bytheplumb Devotee (402) Aug 19, 2013 Illinois

Are you serious?

dcgunman likes this.
  4. clayfu

clayfu Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2010 California

My friend brought me a case from RRBC. I picked it up from him the same day he purchased it. It was 20 days old. Crazy, they were selling 20 day old PTE out of the brewery. The bottles I picked up the week before from WFs were the same batch.

5. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,789) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

^^^ very strange, every time I've bought bottles @ RRBC they've been only a couple days post bottling. Except for one batch of BP that was a week old.

6. dcgunman

dcgunman Meyvn (1,335) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

7. aquazr1

aquazr1 Defender (677) Jul 27, 2013 California

You do remember that their new brew house just recently was fired up. They have not produced any new beer for probably 6 weeks. They have been living off the fermenters and bright tanks.

m34josh and Original_Fake like this.
  8. Original_Fake

Original_Fake Initiate (0) Nov 15, 2013 North Carolina

That's what I was thinking too.

9. gldnns

gldnns Initiate (0) Nov 2, 2014 California

Can also confirm. Picked up 3/22 with a bottling date of 2/27. I found fresher bottles in SoCal the week before.

10. clayfu

clayfu Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2010 California

mine was from December O_O.

I thought FW was brewing their elder during the down time at RRBC?

11. SDReaper

SDReaper Crusader (712) Aug 15, 2013 California
    Trader

FW is brewing Elder, they didn't say that they were bottling it though.

12. deford

deford Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2013 California

I'm glad I live in Cali...:sunglasses:

13. bnelson997

bnelson997 Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2013 California

I could have sworn I read the Pliny that they brewed was destined for kegs only, but I may be wrong.

14. Lostmango

Lostmango Initiate (0) Jun 29, 2013 California

Hold on... when did they start bottling row 2 again?

jakecattleco likes this.
  15. dcgunman

Society Trader

It's on their site as bottles for sale. Grabbed 4 bottles while I was there. I haven't seen any 2-56 bottles in SoCal the last year n half +.

16. dcgunman

Society Trader

Let me add…on my visit to KRBC last Tuesday they had JO as the $2 per pint for their $2 for Tuesday special. Of course we ordered that as our first beer. The aroma and taste were off. And it was not quite as cold as it should be. So we were thinking they must of just tapped the keg. We went on and ordered Hop Nookie (their first TIPA). Glad we got to try this one as I see it's all gone now. And Class X was on too. That was our afternoon session. We headed back for the night session and started off with the $2 JO again and come to find out they were from the bottles, not draft. Asked if all the $2 Tuesday pours were from bottles, she said no. Only the JO bottles that week were returned back to KRBC from Bakersfield/local distro because of sediments on the bottle of the bottles. :grimacing: So they must of been old or left out on the shelves for a period of time. Nothing was bad about the JO. Just tasted a bit off. So they just poured the JO from the bottle into a pint glass and threw out the rest. Ordered another JO this time on draft and it tasted fantastic (er just outstanding). Shuttle Bunny was gone so I had another Class X with the Hot Fudge brownie with ice cream and those went great together. In the cooler were bottles of JO (good bottles), Class V, Shuttle Bunny and Gravity Check. Brought back bottles of JO, CV & SB. The JO bottles were fresh. Not the returned bottles. :slight_smile:

17. dcgunman

Society Trader

They are brewing it at FW for now. And I believe it is keg only. I forgot to ask while I was at FW this past Saturday. But they did not have any Pliny on tap at FW tasting room. They did have Hammersmith (tasting room only) and it was good. But nothing like Hammerland.

Let me add. . .the month old pliny bottles tasted fine. Not as fresh as it should be. I think the freshest pliny bottles I've had were a week old. Theres nothing better than day one fresh pliny at RRBC. Not sure on the keg date last Thursday but it was one of the best glasses of pliny I had in a very long time. And to get fresh Pig and Row 2 Hill 56 were bonus.

18. aquazr1

aquazr1 Defender (677) Jul 27, 2013 California

This I can highly recommend...

dcgunman likes this.
  19. Coldstorage

Coldstorage Initiate (0) Oct 1, 2014 California

Gone as of Friday morning. My pal in the bottle shop side said she did not know if they would do another run soon.

20. dcgunman

Society Trader

So I guess I was lucky to grab some bottles of 2-56 that Thursday evening. :slight_smile:

21. jwolfe1311

jwolfe1311 Initiate (0) Oct 18, 2014 California

If you trust the person you are getting it from it should be fine for about 30 days or so. I've probably had Pliny about 25 times out of the bottle, only 1 time I wasn't impressed. The rest of the time it is consistently great. Most of the bottles I've had are 10-14 days old.

22. time4beer

time4beer Initiate (14) Aug 13, 2014 California

I was just at RRBC on 3/29 and bought bottles of pliny dated 3/7.

I've heard so many times over that pliny falls off so much quicker than any other IPA, so I decided to do a blind taste test one time. I had one bottle that was three weeks old and kept refrigerated the whole time, one that was three weeks old, but spent 4 days or so at room temperature in the light, and one that was about seven weeks old and kept refrigerated. Among 3 people, the three week old refrigerated bottle was unanimously the best, the three week old unrefrigerated was second, and the seven week old was last. Honestly though, none of us could taste any significant difference between the three. I'd be just as happy drinking the seven week old bottle as the 3 week old bottle. Maybe it's just us though, YMMV.

23. Coldstorage

Coldstorage Initiate (0) Oct 1, 2014 California

I agree. While there is something magical about ultra fresh pliny on tap, I just don't think the bottles are as volatile as people make them out to be. My friend tried to get into trading and bought a case of pliny before setting up his trades, life got in the way and soon he had a case of six week old Pliny he couldn't find any takers for. He decided to throw a pliny party and invited 7 guys to come and drink through it together. I decided to bring down a 4 day old bottle for some blind taste tests. Our group was split with 4 thinking the correct new bottle was the freshest while the other 3 misidentified the month old as being fresher... and no one out of the 7 of us felt really confident in our answer... we all felt they were pretty close to a tie in flavor.

*(The fine print, my friends case had been properly stored away from light in a walk in fridge at the bar he works at.)

24. walterfredo

walterfredo Aspirant (203) Nov 22, 2011 California
    Trader

My wife picked up a 12-pack of Pliny at the brewery yesterday 4/2, dated 3/7. Why the change, and what exactly is going on there? It's one thing to see month old (or older) beers through distro, but Pliny at the source? no comprende.

BartS likes this.
  25. dcgunman

Society Trader

Like I said bottles and cases were going out a week ago dated 2-27-15. Why? I know that they were brewing pliny at the Firestone Walker site up until a week ago. The new brewery site opened last week. Down here in SoCal we (I) haven't seen any bottles at my local for weeks. Maybe they have been stockpiling the pliny for a rainy day. But the pliny on tap last week was fresh that day. And to be honest the month old bottles weren't bad at all. Carb was still present and the taste I thought was still spot on. Aroma was lost a bit. Still fine for me. Only bought a couple of bottles.

26. SDReaper

SDReaper Crusader (712) Aug 15, 2013 California
    Trader

Start checking around, san diego had cases of pliny hit the usual spots. I did not check the date though so I can't tell you how old they are but it should be arriving around LA/OC as well.

I'm just sitting and waiting for more nelson though. :wink:

27. SanFranJake

SanFranJake Initiate (0) Nov 2, 2012 California
    Deactivated

I bought a case at the brewery yesterday and when the server brought it to the table, it was bottled 3/7.
    I don't go batshit crazy for Pliny and bought it because I knew it'd be great extras for the few trades I have going out this week and the wife is out of town this week.
    Cracked one last night...still awesome.

dcgunman likes this.
  28. dcgunman

Society Trader

Bought 2 bottles yesterday at one of my locals and they were dated 3-19. The bottles I bought a week ago at RRBC were bottled 2-27. Go figure. Something doesn't seem right here.

29. SanFranJake

SanFranJake Initiate (0) Nov 2, 2012 California
    Deactivated

I think if you actually go into the "shop" they bring you the oldest shit.
    But to be honest, how many guys on here would blow their load for 6-week old Pliny?

30. IPAGeorge

I would be pretty dissapointed to get that.

deford likes this.
  31. SierraJosh

SierraJosh Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2013 California

3/7 Pliny is on point. IMO, the only beers not disappointing from Illinois are Bourbon County & Unsessionable.

32. IPAGeorge

You must not have had enough...

33. BartS

BartS Aspirant (269) Nov 15, 2012 California
    Trader

last Fri picked up two cases dated 3/7 as well. Wouldn't get so much had I looked.

Blind Pig and 2/56 were both out that day, BPig was out 1-2 days prior to it, 2/56 bit longer it seems.

34. IpaBeerDrinkers

IpaBeerDrinkers Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2014 California

I've had Pliny only a few times. I actually had a 1 week old bottle that tasted off. Had some 3 week old bottles that were literally one of the best ipas I've tasted. Go figure

35. DrinkNoH2O

DrinkNoH2O Initiate (0) Oct 17, 2009 California

Are you under the impression that beer loses carbonation as it ages or something?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.