Beer from 5 breweries for the rest of your life.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cmiller4642, Oct 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmiller4642

cmiller4642 (0) Aug 17, 2013 West Virginia

Rues are simple, you choose 5 breweries, and you can only have beers from them for the rest of your life. Distro to where you live matters too (so if you select all NE breweries and you live out in California you better invest in some plane tickets)

My picks:

1. Jackie O's
    2. Columbus Brewing Company
    3. Bell's Brewery
    4. Fat Head's Brewing Company
    5. Great Lakes Brewery

So I went with ones that have a lot of distro around where I live, and carry a variety of the beers that I really like.

Jackie O's give me access to a lot of stouts and sours and their hoppy hazy IPAs are taking off

Columbus Brewing Company gives me my go to DIPAs in Bodhi and Creeper, plus they have other really good offerings like Citra Noel and Yakima Fresh Hop (my #1 beer all time no ifs ands or buts)

Bell's Brewery gives me Two Hearted, Hopslam, Black Note, and Oberon. Not to mention their Oktoberfest is my absolute favorite

Fat Head's Brewing Company gives me Head Hunter, Hop Juju, IBUsive, Spooky Tooth, Holly Jolly (my favorite Christmas beer), and their Hop Stalker Wet Hop IPA (assuming they release in bottles next year grrr)

Great Lakes gives me all kinds of variety with things like Dortmunder Gold for light easy to drink beer, Lake Erie Monster DIPA, Nosferatu and Oktoberfest (2 of my favorites in the fall), and their Christmas Ale of course

I think I could live with those 5, they make a lot of really great beers in all kinds of styles, and have some of my favorite seasonal and one off releases.

ChicagoJ, Tucquan, champ103 and 4 others like this.
  2. Squire

Squire (0) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

I refuse to be limited by a mere five. That and there's no guarantee any five I might currently choose will still be around as long as I plan to be around.

JimKal, ilikebeer03, Junior and 7 others like this.
  3. cmiller4642

In the event that happens substitutions are allowed.

cavedave and Squire like this.
  4. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt (1,880) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Been a while since this has popped up.

Chimay

Bale Breaker

North Coast

Unibroue

Wander

ChicagoJ, rronin, sharpski and 3 others like this.
  5. deleted_user_1007501

deleted_user_1007501 (0) Jun 30, 2015

Jackie O’s for the stouts and farmhouses/wild ales

Köstritzer (technically Bitburger) for my black lager needs

Fat Heads simply because of their IPAs, but moreover their amazing traditional style lagers.

Stillwater because they cover a lot of ground in terms of styles, and none have come close to failing me

Alesmith has to make it, assuming I can get it fresh. Nothing beats fresh Speedway, IPA, DIPA, or really any of their beers.

I’d be more than happy with just these.

6. Premo88

Premo88 (1,139) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society

Live Oak
    Lone Pint
    Jester King

It's way too hard after that. I'm tempted to take Rochefort and Samuel Smith, so I at least get the couple three goodies available to me from them, but it'd be smarter to take breweries like Real Ale, Rahr & Sons, Sierra Nevada, Bell's or Saint Arnold ... or even Brooklyn or Boston Beer Co.

I don't like this game. :slight_frown:

7. Giantspace

Giantspace (842) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Does InBev count as one brewery?

Enjoy

PatrickCT, steorn, Harrison8 and 3 others like this.
  8. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Yes.

Elysian, Budweiser, Ten Barrel, et al, same damn brewery.

SammyJaxxxx, TongoRad and SFACRKnight like this.
  9. jakecattleco

jakecattleco (1,243) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

This assumes I get everything with reasonable freshness (not 15 month old Pivo).

Firestone Walker
    Russian River
    pFriem
    Cellarmaker
    Barley Brown

Others I'd gladly have in here but don't distribute ever or consistently to my part of CA (Odell, Fremont, FatHeads, Trillium).

10. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

It's a fantasy bro, share with us.

11. cavedave

cavedave (1,206) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Funny to have to cut down to five favorites, when a goodly chunk of AAL drinkers may not have tried five different in their life.

Suarez- Saisons as good as HF, or better, wonderful low ABV super flavorful ales, and lagers that are among the best made in USA

Hill Farmstead- Top of the line hoppy beers and the best porter made in this country on tap and fresh

Rushing Duck- Excellent quality with a wide range of styles that feature easy availability of their best regulars and an often changed up selection of many more

Crooked Stave- I love wild ales and especially the way Crooked Stave does them

Industrial Arts- Been a fan of Chief's beer for many years. Could likely survive nicely with only beer from Industrial Arts, but it would be even better with the four other breweries listed above.

ChicagoJ, mtgwi, dcotom and 10 others like this.
  12. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt (0) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Deactivated

I'm a stone's throw away from this scenario in actuality. Jack's Abby, Bitburger, From the Barrel, Trillium, and Tilquin make up the vast majority of my beer intake.

I'll stick there. I don't have to go out of my way to obtain any of these. 2 I can walk in the store and buy, 1 is 5 min from my house, 1 is 5 min from my job. I have to make rounds to stock up on Tilquin when beers drop but thats not all that tough either.

ChicagoJ, EMH73, cmiller4642 and 2 others like this.
  13. shadyside

shadyside (687) Feb 27, 2011 Georgia

Ommegang, Unibroue, Service (out of Savannah), St. Bernardus, Sierra Nevada

ChicagoJ, djl9701, PatrickCT and 4 others like this.
  14. papposilenus

papposilenus (1,106) Jun 21, 2014 New Hampshire
    Society

Hill Farmstead
    Trillium
    Schilling Beer Co
    Idle Hands
    Jack's Abby

Maybe on my birthday I could have some Tree House?

ChicagoJ and EMH73 like this.
  15. Jay_P22

Jay_P22 (0) Mar 17, 2016 Virginia

Well my choices would suck if I ended up moving. Lol

Aslin
    Veil
    Other Half
    Tired Hands
    Hardywood

Honestly I could live off Aslin, Veil and Other Half. Constant access to amazing IPAs, stouts, goses, sours, and Pils.

Threw in Tired Hands because I could drive there for an occasional milkshake.

Threw in Hardywood for the winter barrel aged stout releases.

* Not my top 5 favorites, but these 5 would give me constant access.

16. dennis3951

dennis3951 (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Sierra Nevada
    Brooklyn
    Chimay
    Twin Elephant (NJ local)
    Bells

ChicagoJ, Stoutmaster9 and cavedave like this.
  17. nc41

nc41 (0) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

That's tough.

Alchemist
    Hill Farmstead
    Resident Culture
    Firestone Walker
    Von Trapp

18. Comparison_Ford

Comparison_Ford (0) Apr 4, 2014 New York

Hill Farmstead
    Other Half
    Hudson Valley
    Weihenstephan
    J. Wakefield

ChicagoJ and GreenBayBA like this.
  19. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 (1,630) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

So you mean breweries that I actually have regular, relatively easy access to? Tough one, but I guess I'll have to go with these. Very tough choice between Kloster Andechs and Weihenstephaner but the Andechs Doppelbock Dunkel is just too good and their Hefeweizen isn't half bad either.

Frau Gruber
    Stone Berlin
    Maisel & Friends
    Freigeist Bierkultur
    Kloster Andechs

ChicagoJ and cavedave like this.
  20. zid

zid (829) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Sierra Nevada
    Bell's
    AB InBev
    Dupont
    Weihenstephan

If AB InBev as an answer is not within the spirit of the game, then I'll put Barrier in there instead. If I had to reduce down to one brewery, I'd go with Bell's. I'm shedding two tears for Rauchbier and Kolsch.

21. NotAlcoholicJustAHobby

NotAlcoholicJustAHobby (0) Jun 13, 2015 Vermont

Sierra Nevada
    Bell's
    Weihenstephan
    Sixpoint
    Hill Farmstead

ChicagoJ and jhavs like this.
  22. Lahey

Lahey (0) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

Bells

Great lakes

North coast

I can't even think of two more. I've been trying to find English pale ales, porters and other malty balanced beers, but hardly any American breweries do that anymore... so I'll just take 3 I guess. Not trying to trash other locals, but I'd like some classic styles along with all the experimentation.

#22 Lahey, Oct 13, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    ChicagoJ and rronin like this.
  23. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight (0) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

Jack's abbey, BA Framminghammer may be my favorite beer right now.
    Trve
    Modern times
    Crooked stave
    Aaaaaaaaaand maybe comrade, no dry dock, wait....um. .

ChicagoJ, ManBearPat and cavedave like this.
  24. SoCal_Matt

SoCal_Matt (0) Jul 13, 2014 California
    Trader

Modern Times
    Sierra Nevada
    Pizza Port
    Lagunitas

Really hard to decide after these four. It would be a toss up between Burgeon, Beachwood, and Alesmith. I would love to have Hill Farmstead in there but access is a parameter on this one and I don't get to enjoy their beers as much as I would like.

25. nc41

Society Trader

Let me add to get Jacks Abby stuff would be great I’d add them take off Von Trapp.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  26. Lahey

Lahey (0) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

I'll add samuel Smith's to my truncated list, I forgot about them.

TongoRad likes this.
  27. jhavs

jhavs (1,304) Apr 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

I’ll guess I’ll go with the 5 that are closest to me or I have access to in cans at nearest gas station
    River Roost
    Hill Farmstead
    Alchemist
    Schilling
    Lawson’s Finest

Seem to cover all my bases style wise.
    If access wasn’t part of the equation I’d stick Side Profect or Jester King in there somewhere

ChicagoJ, nc41, SFACRKnight and 3 others like this.
  28. ToddSoonerFan

ToddSoonerFan (0) Aug 23, 2013 Iowa

I 2nd that with jhavs as far as proximity.
    Toppling Goliath
    515 Brewing
    Barn Town Brewing
    Confluence
    Peace Tree Brewing

29. Buck89

Buck89 (0) Feb 7, 2015 Tennessee
    Society Trader

Sierra Nevada
    Russian River (in this crazy new life access to them would become a priority)
    Bearded Iris
    Modern Times
    Weihenstephan

ChicagoJ and SFACRKnight like this.
  30. papposilenus

papposilenus (1,106) Jun 21, 2014 New Hampshire
    Society

I had considered putting River Roost on my list, too (as well as Brick & Feather and Honest Weight, those being the three that are closest to me) but, in the end, I figured I had the NEIPA's pretty thoroughly covered with HF and Trillium so I went with Idle Hands and Jack's Abby instead, just so I could have some different styles from time to time.

31. TongoRad

TongoRad (1,191) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

In the spirit of maximizing favorites, variety and availability I'd have to go with the following:

No Brainers:
    Heller Trum (Schlenkerla)
    Dupont

English ales:
    Samuel Smith, on the strength of Nut Brown, Taddy Porter and Imperial Stout alone.

Left Field choice:
    Catskill- top quality sour/wild ales (including a killer Flanders Red) and lagers (Black Lager, Pils especially), but also good to very good hoppy beers for variety's sake. ( @cavedave - I also considered Crooked Stave for this slot, with a better wild/fruited beer program, but the Black Lager and Flanders Red pushed Catskill ahead :slight_smile:).

American hops:
    Industrial Arts- plus, they're sort of the converse to Catskill in that they'll surprise you with a great lager every now and then.

32. jesskidden

jesskidden (884) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Played this game in the 1970s --- when, by the end of the decade "5 breweries" equaled over 10% of the brewing companies in the US:astonished:--- into the 1980s, when I eventually "lost".

1. P. Ballantine & Sons
    2. Rheingold Brewing Co. (McSorley's Ale)
    3. Falstaff/Narragansett (Croft, Pickwick, Ballantine)
    4. Ortlieb Brewing Co. (McSorley's, Neuweiler, Boarshead)
    5. C. Schmidt's & Sons (Prior, McSorley's)

33. cavedave

cavedave (1,206) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Samuel Smiths was under consideration for me as a sentimental favorite. I donated a lot of hard earned money to them back in the day drinking Nut Brown at Dead shows, and the rest of the lineup rocks too.

I'm gonna hafta make it over to Catskill for a session, and some take out. I just resent the large amount of time the low amount of miles to get there will cost lol.

Your list is a bunch of greatness that covers a large amount of territory, nicely done..

Lahey, LarryV, JakerLou and 1 other person like this.
  34. Shroud0fdoom

Shroud0fdoom (0) Oct 31, 2013 Maryland

I’ll play!

1. Victory Brewing Company: Above Solid English Bitters and damn fine Pilsners.
    2. Union Brewing Company: Same reason, German and English Style Beers come Natural to these Guys!
    3. De Molen: These guys know how to Bourbon Barrel age a Beer or Two!
    4. Unibroue: simple reason....they know how to make Belgian style Beers that isn’t too cloying sweet like most American Brewers do with the use of Candied Sugar.
    5. Brasserie de Rochefort: I wouldn’t know how to live if I couldn’t snag a Rochefort 10 every now and then.

35. jhavs

jhavs (1,304) Apr 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

Yeah, I put them for proximity and since they are on tap everywhere I go. I’ve got Schilling to cover my lagers, European styles (plus Mary and Marie from HF)
    Have you tried River Roosts BA Stout or sours? Making some progress and starting to diversify. Bottle release should be soon.
    I love Idle Hands, but don’t make it down that way quite enough to make my list.

36. TongoRad

TongoRad (1,191) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Thanks , yours too.

If you ever do make it to Catskill make sure to get the Grand Cru first. It's a brewery-only beer that's not packaged, no crowlers either; it's a blend of foeder aged brett and sour beers, so good! Sometimes I just drink that while I'm there and get the other beers to go.

cavedave and jhavs like this.
  37. brucepf92

brucepf92 (0) Jul 20, 2018 New York

Big Ditch (Buffalo brewery that makes consistently solid beers)
    Allagash
    Ommegang
    Trillium (only beer not locally available, but I visit Boston often).
    Jack's Abby/Springdale

ChicagoJ likes this.
  38. cmiller4642

I wish I lived near all of my breweries. I'm about 30 minutes from Jackie O's so I get to go to bottle releases there.

cavedave likes this.
  39. dennis3951

dennis3951 (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

My 5 from the 70's would be
    Rheingold Brewing
    Pabst Brewing
    Anheuser Busch
    Rolling Rock
    F&M Schaeffer
    Very few people in and around Newark drank Ballantine after they closed the Newark Brewery.

ChicagoJ and Tripel_Threat like this.
  40. nc41

Society Trader

Show off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.