Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Beer in Darwin

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by sinkas, Jul 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sinkas

sinkas Jul 9, 2008 Australia
    Beer Trader

Hi all,
    anyone got any tips on good beer in Darwin,
    I cant find much, online,
    I am sure there was athread before the forum shit itself, and I think there is a member who fifo there or lives there?
    any input welcomed,
    I am up there for a week, on holiday,
  2. Lukie

Lukie Jun 16, 2007 Australia

Isn't there a "micro brewery" up there now?

And stock up on Darwin Stubbies. Re-sale value in Perth is huge.
    Bitterbill likes this.
  3. bylerteck

bylerteck May 17, 2009 Ontario (Canada)
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Seems like NT is a wasteland for craft stuff. The fact that there was no Pint of Origin for NT during Good Beer Week kinda hammered that home.
  4. mungus

mungus Oct 19, 2010 Australia

Vintage cellars and Parap fine foods are probably your best bet at the moment for retail.

Deck bar probably the best bar with their craft offerings, although Nirvana are decent also (awesome food and atmosphere too).

But wasteland is fairly accurate yes.
  5. CromDubh

CromDubh May 17, 2009 Australia

Last I heard about the micro brewery was that the local macro pubs in the area it was planned for were ganging up to stop the licensing authority giving it the go ahead. Yes, it's a beer desert really, a craft brewery/restaurant would go so well up here.
    As Mungus says, Vintage Cellars and PFF have a small range of craft, Vintage Cellars are improving. Deck Bar have some Belgians as well as craft. There's an Irish pub down on the waterfront that also does some British bottles. Superb time of year for a holiday, but of course the place is heaving.
  6. sinkas

sinkas Jul 9, 2008 Australia
    Beer Trader

Hi all,
    enjoyed my trip to Darwin,
    and , found some tasty Vale IPA adn Knappsiten up there,
    A local art dealer told me that there is a brewery "1 Mile Brewing" set up by a industrial chemist that will have a pale ale on at the SLide bar? soon
    apparently its going to be producing 2 regular beers for that place, might even be on tap by now, if you want the contact for the guy, let me know
  7. Arassuil

Arassuil Jan 21, 2008 Australia

'The Precinct' opened recently and have some reasonable taps. Nothing too heavy being it's Darwin, but getting a Stone & Wood is always nice. Despite their website stil in pre-open mode, they are open.
  8. danieelol

danieelol Jun 15, 2010 Australia

I feel for you guys who you guys who reside in the NT

I will be praying you for you tonight
  9. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Beer Trader

They still make them? Wow. How cool is that?
  10. mungus

mungus Oct 19, 2010 Australia

The Precinct is far and away the best spot for beer at the moment - Hop Hog on tap and moondog in the fridge. Completely unheard of up here
  11. CromDubh

CromDubh May 17, 2009 Australia

Completely agree, great range of beers for Darwin, obviously not for you spoilt southerners. Unfortunately had just missed a keg of Angry Man, so had a Hop Hog. Also on tap were Prickly Moses, Two Birds and Mountain Goat. In the fridge were a range of Holgate, Bridge Road, 4Pines, Nail and others. They are rotating taps so hope some more Murray's arrives.
    mungus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!