Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Scandinavia Beer in Norway

Discussion in 'Europe' started by PrimeBeer, Oct 17, 2013.

1. PrimeBeer

Beer Trader

Hey all, I've been looking through the forums for some info on beer in Norway but I've come up pretty much empty. I will be going to Oslo and Bodo in November to visit family and I had a couple of beer related questions.

1. What Norwegian brews should I be looking for?
    2. Are there any breweries in Oslo or Bodo that are open to the public?
    3. Are there any bottle shops or bars in these cities that I should go out of my way for?
    4. I know little to nothing about distribution in Norway, but is there any chance of finding Cantillon/Westvleteren/other Euro brews not easily available in the US?

Any advice or help would be much appreciated. I'm actually a native Norwegian returning to the country for the first time in 18 years so I'm very excited about the trip! If there are any BA's over there interested in some US beers, I can definitely try to bring some with me as well. Cheers!

2. Crusader

3. Albin

Beer Trader

Norway has, as Sweden, a monopoly on alcoholics. You need to go to "Vinmonopolet" to buy anything above 4,2% and in some areas 3,5%. I know there was a release recently with westvleteren beers on the monopoly but they shouldve gone fast. Try to visit www.vinmonopolet.no to see where stores are located and what you can buy. Prices are the same in all stores.

4. Albin

Beer Trader

And to answer your 1st question. Look for Nøgne Ø and Lervig. Those are the most recognized craft breweries in Norway.

Goudie likes this.
  5. PrimeBeer

Beer Trader

Awesome, thanks for all of the advice so far. Much appreciated!

6. HenrikO

1. Also look for Haandbryggeriet. They make some excellent sours as well as regular beer (their session IPA Humlesus is available in better-stocked supermarkets). Unlike Sweden, you can get beers under ABV 4.5 in supermarkets. Meny Oslo City had the best lower-ABV bottle selection in Oslo.

2. There are a few brewpubs in Oslo: Crow Bar, Amundsen Bryggeri & Spiseri and Schouskjelleren. Schouskjelleren also has a decent vintage Cantillon/3F list (on premises consumption only, no take away). Shoot me a PM if you want more info.

3. Besides the above-mentioned brewpubs, Hantverksstuerne (restaurant and bar) is worth a visit. Some vintage 'loons can be found in their fridges. Vinmonopolet Vika is the best-stocked liquor store, they are likely to have some
    3 Fonteinen - they had Armand Herfst when I was there last week. Heinously expensive, though.

4. See above.

Have fun in Oslo and make sure you hit up Schouskjelleren. Start a convo with me if you want some more info.

Cheers
    Henrik

7. Gr1mmy77

Nøgne had a barley wine I remember that was a limited release, some weird name... It was the name of the cook in odins kitchen... Had a ship on te bottle and was a bluefish color... If you can find those there bring them back... One of the best beers you'll ever have, it's all in the water if you ask me... Last names Grimstad and they use Grimstad water from that city over there

8. interman

Alcohol under 4.75% is sold in supermarkets, and as mentioned anything above is sold in Vinmonopolet. The selection is large cities especially can be very good, compared to plenty of countries. You can find lists of top beer places on here and on ratebeer. Oslo, Bergen, Stavanger, and Trondheim have plenty of nice places to check out. Nøgne Ø, Ægir, Haandbryggeriet and Lervig are the main breweries you want to check out. Since you're going to Oslo you can drop by the best bottle shop in Norway, which is located here http://www.vinmonopolet.no/butikker?butikk_id=114

There will be a special release of big beers on october 9th, and there might be a few rarities left to pick up by November. Prepare for high prices.

9. olradetbalder

I got one of those in my cellar. It is called Andhrímnir right?

10. interman

That is correct. It's pretty tasty.

11. Frankie24

If anyone is visiting Norway (Oslo) in near future, I got a fou´foune bottled 21. august 2014 and is open for a trade.

12. Morten

Hope you had a nice beer visist to Oslo... And otherwise :)

13. MatthewWalters

Beer Trader

Look for 7 Fjeill also

14. viper11tg

Beer Trader

Bumping up this thread since I am heading to Oslo a week from Sunday. Anything new or exciting to add? @interman seems to be a wealth of knowledge?

15. interman

So on the 22nd there's an event at HåndverkerStuene in Oslo where the brewery Voss (brewery that has focused on historic and traditional beers) is competing against Lervig (brewers of beer geek brunch ++, on behalf of Mikkeller), in a fight of pairing beer with food.

If you look up Rosenkrantz gate 7 you'll find it. It starts at 6pm and ends at 10pm.

Also, there's a fun brewery called Cervisiam that's been making a bunch of fun beers lately. You should be able to find them in the various pubs mentioned above, as well as Vinmonpolet. Satanic Panic is a super thick adjunct stout, and Jungle Juice is a sort of Vermont inspired juice bomb of an IPA. Not all the way to that level, but definitely worth a try.

16. Hallu

Remember though that Norway is very expensive, a lot more than Sweden. Petrol, alcohol, food, everything is more expensive in Norway, and they also make you pay extra for linen and cleaning in hotels, beware. I loved the landscapes, the glaciers etc... but I must admit they are pretty cold people. Maybe beer will break the ice ? If you want euro beers, like from Belgium and Germany, you shouldn't buy them here. Get a layover elsewhere if you can. In supermarket you will only find half-filled bottles of low alcohol beer (very weird), so you need to find a liquorstore.

17. viper11tg

Beer Trader

Thank you both @interman and @Hallu, very much appreciate all the help.

interman likes this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe