1. We need your support. Become a Premium member now for as little as $1.99 a month. And, if you join this month you can help us beta test our new app!

Beer in Omaha, NE

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by BeersAndBears, Jan 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrettHead

BrettHead Initiate (0) Sep 18, 2010 Nebraska

Well damn, I wish I had know about that. Would have driven down for sure!

#1041 BrettHead, Jan 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
    Ristaccia and TomClem like this.
  2. poopinmybutt

poopinmybutt Initiate (104) May 25, 2005 Nebraska

i got really lucky with my timing as i just happened to go there during a biking event they had with a hundred-plus people and a buddy pointed it out - i wouldn't have even noticed as it was just the BCBS tap handle, but there was a tiny handwritten note saying 'vanilla' above it. apparently it was an accident and was supposed to be normal bcbs...here's hoping for more 'accidents' in the future

cran852, CowsandBeer and BrettHead like this.
  3. TomClem

TomClem Initiate (119) Mar 7, 2012 Nebraska

Remember that Omaha Beer Week is meant to cater to a wide variety of craft beer drinkers. Not just us crazy BAs. There are plenty of craft beer drinkers who get excited about bus rides, bike give-aways, and New Belgium tap takeovers.

Be thankful we have a few events that really cater to us.

siouxbrew and lvoutlawjlh like this.
  4. poopinmybutt

'plenty' may have been a slight stretch, but waldos was on tap at minimum 3 places here, tapped on different days/weeks, so between those 3 you could find it available for 3-4 weeks total, so i thought it was pretty easy to get to without any hassle... but lagunitas distro definitely varies between lincoln & omaha i've found. stuff also tends to just sit longer in lincoln, like when the aforementioned CBS was tapped here, it was on a friday afternoon and the keg didnt kick until the next day.

5. ElJosharino

ElJosharino Initiate (198) May 3, 2013 Nebraska

Boise and Des Moines are actually both quite a bit smaller than Omaha, both in city limits population and metro area population, so citing a lack of market here compared to there doesn't really work. The thing is that everybody in Omaha seems content on being a neighborhood joint that coasts on having good enough stuff all of the time and great stuff only during the one week of the year where they do just enough to keep up with the Joneses, and nobody wants to step up and be a destination all the time.

6. BrettHead

In other beery news Crazy Mountains beers will soon be on shelves

7. poopinmybutt

anyone seen coop ale works stuff on shelves yet? there was a tapping party @jakes lincoln last week but still haven't seen any on shelves.

8. BrettHead

No package for a while. May is the current target.

9. MNBeer1017

MNBeer1017 Devotee (451) Mar 27, 2013 Minnesota

Check in here from time to time since I visit Omaha regularly this is getting scary

10. Ristaccia

Ristaccia Defender (658) Nov 21, 2012 Nebraska

I can certainly understand some of the frustration; for the handful of real events (like Migration Week, EBF/GNBF, kegs like Waldo's or CBS) each year a lot of events and 'events' end up coming off as pretty phoned in. It does seem pretty rare that Pint Night has something worth going out for, and tap takeovers often end up just being a brewery's year-round lineup (that's sitting on shelves in every Hy-Vee in town). I think some of that definitely comes down to what the brewers decide to send our way. We got KBS and Abyss the first year Founders and Deschutes were distributing to Nebraska, we've seen some fairly rare/one-off beers come out from Stone ('12 IRS, Belgo-Anise IRS, Vertical Epic 12-12-12), Deschutes (Green Monster and 3 years of Abyss at last year's EBF?), etc. I definitely think some of it has to do with our state's distribution as well. For instance, I've got nothing against New Belgium, but as memory serves the best we've usually seen from them has been La Folie and Le Terroir - which frankly are some of their top-end beers. Many of, say, Chicago's notable tappings (outside of Goose, which Chicago gets an ample quantity of for obvious reasons) are simply from breweries we don't get - Firestone Walker, 3 Floyds, Avery, Lost Abbey/Port, Pipeworks, etc. Hell, check the Twin Cities thread and see how many notable tappings or events are things we could have gotten - the only one that jumps to mind is BA Ten Fidy, and Oskar Blues just hit the Nebraska and Iowa markets.

11. bditty187

bditty187 Poo-Bah (2,419) Jul 10, 2002 Nebraska

As an old school BA. As the dude that “created” beertopia. As the dude that MADE distributors bring beers like Duvel, St. Bernardus, Aventinus… hell, about every Belgian/German import aside from the Merchant du Vin portfolio it warms my heart to hear people not happy with Omaha Beer Week events. 99% of it is lame. It’s a money grab. It’s a trick to fool “craft beer” drinkers that Omaha is grown-up like Portland or Denver. Almost every craft beer event is lame in Omaha. No matter when it happens.

10 years ago it was almost impossible to find any craft beer in Omaha. Craft beer is way more prevalent now and that is awesome but Omaha is not a craft beer town. Not close. The problem is simple in my mind, the Moon rules the roost (it was the first to do it and has earned it) but nobody pushes them. Who is demanding the distributors to up their game? I’ve been out of the Nebraska distribution system for about 5 years (I’m back!) but who is demanding better beers? It is shocking how little the beer selection has changed from the time I left Brix and when to Hy-Vee in CB. While more American craft beer has arrived in Nebraska not all of it is good and/or it is underserved. I’m not putting anybody on blast but I think most of the people who are the faces of craft beer in Omaha are under-educated, misguided or blind to the reality of the situation. Omaha is not a legit craft beer town… yet. It kills me to say that. I’ve been trying since 2005. You youngsters have no idea how lame it used to be. I’m glad people here want more. Let’s demand better.

12. BrettHead

Always appreciated what you have done for the selection in the Metro area (whether it be Beertopia/Brix/MotB) @bditty187. I've been lucky enough to always buy beer in a post-Beertopia Omaha. I can't imagine Spirit World offering the best selection in town (how things have changed). Cheers

13. bditty187

I remember the day when Mojo showed up at Wild Oats and I about cried tears of joy. Hell, I remember trying every beer Spirit World had (less than 150 to choose from, tops... and that was everything! Skunked Genny Cream still haunts me). Dark times.

CowsandBeer, dbossman and BrettHead like this.
  14. BrettHead

I should add that I completely agree with this. I don't understand the passive attitude of "be thankful for what we can get/have". I am glad that wasn't your attitude when opening Beertopia.

15. fds

fds Initiate (76) Aug 17, 2013 Nebraska

Thanks for everything you've done @bditty187 . I know it's probably not a top priority, but do you have plans to have a Facebook page for the Linden Market Hy-Vee? Did my grocery shopping there this morning and the beer cooler already was much improved.

Continuing some of the conversation above, I thought I had heard at some point in the last year that Shelton was going to expand to Nebraska. Anyone have knowledge of that? Any other exciting rumors of new breweries? I've heard Renegade and Schlafly both mentioned by a friend.

16. BrettHead

I think he started a facebook on day 1 :wink:

https://www.facebook.com/lindenmarkethyveewineandspirits

fds likes this.
  17. fds

BrettHead likes this.
  18. BeersAndBears

BeersAndBears Devotee (485) Dec 30, 2012 Georgia

Guys, any chance you would be willing to conclude your dispute? I have no horse in the race, but I find this thread very useful and would hate to see it terminated. I also look forward to the day that the Omaha beer scene is as robust as some of the other large Midwestern cities, but it's not terrible now. Having Brent back in Omaha is sure to instigate a local competitiveness amongst several shops, and hopefully he will bridge some relationships that he cultivated in Iowa. I have met a number of great local BA's over the last couple of years, and have participated in more than a few top shelf local bottle shares and trades. I would greatly appreciate if we could keep this thread on the up and up, and I doubt I'm the only one. Cheers guys!

19. BrettHead

20. fds

I have a friend from Denver who is moderately into craft beer, and he's always said Renegade is one of his favorites. Not sure I'd drink it all the time but I've always wanted to try the triple IPA.

Guy on reddit said that Schlafly should be here relatively soon, although not before EBF. As long as it's here before next fall so I'll have less of a drive to get TIPA and some Pumpkin, that would be fine by me.

Also, not really available here per se, but ordered some Abrasive from france44 on Friday. First time trying it, excited for it to get here.

BrettHead likes this.
  21. BrettHead

Yeah, Schlafly was originally looking at Q1 but apparently supplying Chicago is a bigger chore than they anticipated and we have been pushed back

I've got some 1/23 Abrasive on its way too. Hope this snowstorm doesn't screw things up...I see it is mighty cold in MN.

#1061 BrettHead, Feb 1, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  22. ElJosharino

Also have some Abrasive on the way, having not had it before as well, I figured I should order some just in case they don't get to Council Bluffs before it's too late.

BrettHead likes this.
  23. BrettHead

It's one of my favorite Double's

24. DemoniChris

DemoniChris Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2013 Nebraska

I ordered mine from Merwins Liqours. It's quite hard to beat for its style.

Might as well ask: any Hopslam lingering over in Iowa at all? Or anyone got a single or two they could sell me?

25. BrettHead

Hopslam should be early next week

26. DemoniChris

Cool, thought I missed it since it was set to drop on the 26th

BrettHead likes this.
  27. BrettHead

26th is when those shipments began to ship out from Bell's to the distributors

28. bditty187

Shelton Bros is in the works. I don't know how soon it will be back in Nebraska. A few months.... a year? But I am sure it is coming unless something unexpected happens.

29. BrettHead

I will leap for joy when that day comes.

And sort of on that topic, here is an awesome new site that has recently gone live that aims to be the largest repository of (accurate) information on lambics. As a admitted lambic lover, I am thrilled.

http://www.lambic.info/Home

30. BrettHead

The cold claimed 3 cans :slight_frown:. I am sure france44 will take care of me though.

31. BrettHead

@DemoniChris It's in

DemoniChris likes this.
  32. fds

Uh-oh. 3 out of how many?

33. BrettHead

24 (not all for me) :grinning:

DemoniChris likes this.
  34. DemoniChris

I just got an email from Merwin's Liqours that they only had 3x 4pks left -_- Oh well, I asked them to replace the fourth with some Furious and Overrated. Also told them to wait until thursday to ship since that's when it's supposed to warm up

35. fds

I ordered 3, one of which is for a friend. Crossing my fingers I have better luck tonight when I pick it up.

36. ElJosharino

@BrettHead I'm guessing it was either you or DJ that was in right before me. The guys working said I bought the exact same three things (Hopslam, a Bomb, and an Ete) as the person before me.

37. fds

Worst day of the week for me in terms of Hopslam releasing. Maybe I'll finally get to try one next year. At least I'll have some Abrasive tonight.

38. BrettHead

Nope we have both been at the store all morning. No off-site Beertopia meeting today :grinning:

ElJosharino likes this.
  39. BrettHead

Damn, ends up a whole 4-pack was compromised. Just discovered a pinhole leak on a can I didn't see at first. Best of luck to you all :slight_smile:

40. ZaxGhost

ZaxGhost Initiate (117) Apr 28, 2013 Nebraska

I've got a single or two I'd sell at cost or trade if you want some.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.