Beer in Omaha, NE

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by BeersAndBears, Jan 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poopinmybutt

poopinmybutt Initiate (83) May 25, 2005 Nebraska

i was slightly let down, tbh. love funky saisons so my expectations were maybe a bit high, but i feel like this one needs some time - the brett was way more subtle than i like. base beer seems solid, but there just wasn't enough going on for me to really like it. i'll buy another bottle and hold onto it for awhile.

lvoutlawjlh likes this.
  2. dmfc906

dmfc906 Initiate (0) Jul 2, 2010 Illinois

I'm heading to that on Sunday...Pretty pumped. Really want to try the BCS Napa and Sofie Paradisi (amongst others)

BrettHead likes this.
  3. BeersAndBears

BeersAndBears Devotee (456) Dec 30, 2012 Georgia
    Beer Trader

There is a bunch of Stone RIS and Espresso RIS at the Hyvee in Council Bluffs. Anything else spotted around town?

4. poopinmybutt

i made quick stops at said hy-vee & beertopia and beertopia has the two new lips of faith beers along with the SN/ovila orange saison, did not see too much else of note

there's a place in lincoln that has bombers of lagunitas lucky 13 which oddly enough i haven't seen anywhere else in lincoln or omaha....awesome stuff

5. BrettHead

BrettHead Devotee (474) Sep 18, 2010 Nebraska

Boulevard Saison-Brett is in.

I knew we were expecting lucky 13 sooner or later, glad to hear it is apparently starting to trickle in, killer beer.

Hoptimum should be Tuesday (although we have been told a couple dates already by Johnson Bros. that ended up not being true).

6. BrettHead

Oh, some places around Omaha should be tapping Sofie Paradisi sooner or later.

7. BeersAndBears

Beer Trader

Sofie Paradisi in Omaha?? Definitely give us a heads up if you see it! I drank some Hoptimum in South Dakota last week. Great brew.

8. BeersAndBears

Beer Trader

A few bottles of BA Olde Bluehair at the Whole Foods FYI

9. poopinmybutt

sofie paradisi was so good, holy smokes i wish that was a summer beer that we could get in bottles

BrettHead likes this.
  10. DemoniChris

DemoniChris Disciple (309) Jun 4, 2013 Nebraska

There's another beerfest going on in Omaha this weekend in case any of you weren't aware.
    http://www.omahabeerfest.com/beer/
    Probably not as impressive a list as the one in august, but I'm looking forward to Lucky 13, West Coast IPA, St. Lupin and Long Strange on tap (among others).

11. poopinmybutt

would highly recommend anyone going to that fest to check out zipline if they haven't already. their taproom has great atmosphere too, for anyone visiting lincoln.

cran852 likes this.
  12. BrettHead

Hoptimum and Lucky 13 are in at Beertopia

13. CowsandBeer

CowsandBeer Devotee (481) Sep 24, 2012 Nebraska
    Beer Trader

Hopefully there is still some left by this weekend!

14. BrettHead

They put it on at Jake's (Omaha location) last night.

15. DemoniChris

I know where I'm going tonight :wink:

16. lvoutlawjlh

lvoutlawjlh Disciple (303) Mar 15, 2012 Nebraska
    Beer Trader

How was it? Think it will still be on tonight?

17. DemoniChris

I had two glasses of this delicious nectar, it was superb! Yes I'm sure it'll be around at least a little while longer.

lvoutlawjlh likes this.
  18. CLaBarre

CLaBarre Aspirant (288) Feb 22, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

Anyone in Omaha want to trade for some Pseudo Sue when I drive through on Fri/Sun....see the trade forum. Any other local stout recommendations? Black Betty BA?

19. lvoutlawjlh

lvoutlawjlh Disciple (303) Mar 15, 2012 Nebraska
    Beer Trader

I'll trade.

20. BrettHead

Nothing comes to mind at the moment that you can't get in Iowa.

21. CowsandBeer

Beer Trader

Have any of you guys tried those Templeton Rye BA Belgian beers from Upsteam Brewing? I saw a bunch the other day and was curious if anybody had tried them. I think I saw a Quad and and a Tripel.

22. TomClem

TomClem Initiate (8) Mar 7, 2012 Nebraska
    Beer Trader

I haven't tried them recently but had a couple a year ago. They came with a tag that said they were purposefully under-carbonated to enhance the barrel flavors. Under-carbonated was an understatement. They were pretty much still. The lack of carb took away from the mouth feel that I like in a good stout. The flavor was OK, but nothing could overcome the lack of carb in my mind. I decided that day I didn't ever need to drink them again. If they revisited the carbonation the experience would likely be completely different, so if there isn't at tag on the neck of the bottle they may have changed this issue. A frequent wine drinker may enjoy a still beer, it just wasn't for me.
    The two that I tried:
    Templeton Rye Whiskey Barrel Aged Snow Blind Imperial Stout http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1056/88396
    Horse Feathers http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1056/71295

23. CowsandBeer

Beer Trader

Thanks for the info Tom. There was no tag on the bottle that mentioned the carbonation. Do you think they actually meant for it to be like that or it was just an accident? :confused:
    They looked expensive so that's why I hesitated to pull the trigger. If I end up getting one I'll make sure to put up a review.

24. BrettHead

Two years in a row the BA Snow Blind was undercarbed (and every single bottle I had was this way). Which was a damn shame as I really enjoy non-BA Snow Blind. The Iowa Coffee and BA Wee Heavy (Kurgan, iirc) were also undercarbed but not to the degree of the BA Snow blind.

Anyway, besides the BA Snow Blind (again..) not being carbed this last Christmas, I haven't had any issues with the last 6-7 (can't remember which it is) bottles they have released. This includes the current Quad, Tripel, Dubbel, and Scotch Ale.

CowsandBeer, dbossman and TomClem like this.
  25. dbossman

dbossman Meyvn (1,200) Apr 27, 2009 Nebraska
    Subscriber

Just a heads up...Sofie Paradisi is still on at Jake's (and awesome) as is the new dry hopped Saison Dupont (I believe they got one of the only kegs in town and it too is awesome).

BrettHead likes this.
  26. BrettHead

Should still be on at Library as well (and I agree it is delicious!).

+1 for the dry-hopped Dupont, haven't had draft yet but the bottles are sublime. (Crescent will be tapping a keg down the road too..so just a heads up)

If you are a fan of big stouts and haven't gone to the Mall of the Bluffs HyVee to get Evil Twin Imperial Biscotti Break and Evil Twin Even More Jesus then I would highly recommend you do so.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/24300/80291
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/24300/81067

Ristaccia and dbossman like this.
  27. CowsandBeer

Beer Trader

Had that Biscotti Break at Beertopia once. Sweet beer. Both literally and figuratively.

TomClem likes this.
  28. distantmantra

distantmantra Savant (982) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Beer Trader

I'm headed from Seattle to Omaha next weekend (28th-2nd) to visit my wife's family. Any local releases from Lucky Bucket, NBC, Upstream, Empyrean that I should be looking for?

29. dbossman

dbossman Meyvn (1,200) Apr 27, 2009 Nebraska
    Subscriber

Upstream has a bunch of BA releases that I have heard aren't undercarbonated like the last bunch (but I haven't tried any yet) and if you go to NBC, they still have some bottles of their latest Inception Series beers: Cowboys and Indians (both are saisons brewed with rose hips, hibiscus, and cherry juice and aged in wine barrels) I have only yet had the Indians and it was tasty..

distantmantra likes this.
  30. poopinmybutt

shit i was going to head down to NBC and pick some up last sunday while i was in town but skipped it, figuring they wouldn't have any of that left. d'oh

31. TomClem

TomClem Initiate (8) Mar 7, 2012 Nebraska
    Beer Trader

When in doubt give them a call. NBC has great customer service!

32. BeersAndBears

Beer Trader

Any rumors lately on new breweries coming to NE? Also, anyone know if the new brew from Funkwerks is in town yet? Thanks.

33. BrettHead

Probably be another week or two.

BeersAndBears likes this.
  34. CowsandBeer

Beer Trader

What's up with this new Funkwerks? Is that that bourbon barrel Wild Ale?

35. poopinmybutt

it's a "berliner influenced saison" iirc

i had a bottle of the lueven i got from the brewery, which i think is more of a straight up berliner and thought it was kinda thin, so the idea of a bigger bodied saison version sounds appealing to me

CowsandBeer likes this.
  36. DemoniChris

is that the Provincial? sounds tasty

37. BrettHead

Yup, that's the one :slight_smile:

38. BrettHead

dbossman, Ristaccia and poopinmybutt like this.
  39. BeersAndBears

Beer Trader

Boom! When will it arrive???

40. DemoniChris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.