Beer in Omaha, NE

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by BeersAndBears, Jan 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheHopsman

TheHopsman Defender (632) Apr 7, 2015 Nebraska
    Trader

Had a pour of Hill Farmstead Dorothy at The Happy Raven on Friday. It sure was delicious. Nebraska going to get bottles?

BrettHead likes this.
  2. hoptheology

hoptheology Poo-Bah (5,304) May 12, 2014 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Around 3 or 4pm...ish. Talked with a really nice guy with a beard about my band, Virgin Mary Pistol Grip. I'm really bad with names. Another, taller guy checked me out. Both of these cats were equally awesome. :sunglasses:

CowsandBeer likes this.
  3. beardown2489

beardown2489 Devotee (428) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois

Hill farmstead in Nebraksa

Someone want to break this down for me?

4. LarkinW

LarkinW Initiate (0) Dec 23, 2007 Nebraska

Sure. Matt Dinges of GoodLife Provisions is our distributor of Shelton Brothers products, 12 percent imports Etc. Matt is friends with Shaun Hill and he recently brewed a beer with Shaun Hill called Farmer Wave. It was only available at Hill Farmstead and here in Nebraska. Apparently when Shaun sent out Farmer Wave, he also sent kegs of Dorothy and Florence. The only bottles that we received in state were Farmer Wave. Keg accounts were instructed not to sell growlers, crowlers, etc. Pretty awesome.

5. BrettHead

BrettHead Initiate (0) Sep 18, 2010 Nebraska

@LarkinW beat me to it but just Farmer Wave bottles and the before-mentioned kegs

Virtual all of Shaun's beer is sold at the brewery in Vermont. When I have heard of other cities getting draft it has almost always been a NYC, SF, Denver, etc. thing

Beer is absolutely insane in Nebraska right now. We are the 14 least populous state...something I think people forget from time to time. Not saying this to you specifically, just a general thought I had.

6. fds

fds Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2013 Nebraska

Is Ballast Point the last major brewery that has announced they are coming too? I'm almost getting new brewery fatigue. I thought I had heard rumors of Schlafly and Almanac somewhat recently.

BrettHead likes this.
  7. jwwhitney

jwwhitney Initiate (0) Mar 5, 2015 Nebraska

I know this bar in Boston always has HF on tap, apperently Shaun is friends with the owner (per a buddy of mine), fwiw. Excited to hit it up in Sept! http://armsbyabbey.com/on-tap-2/

#2007 jwwhitney, Jun 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
    BrettHead likes this.
  8. poopinmybutt

poopinmybutt Initiate (90) May 25, 2005 Nebraska

not major... but i'm super jazzed about crane coming soon.

did not know about florence kegs. jakes lincoln just tapped another keg of dorothy today.

BrettHead and fds like this.
  9. fds

Thanks, forgot about Crane. Had the Grapefuit Gose two weeks ago and really liked it.

poopinmybutt and BrettHead like this.
  10. BarrelAgeMe

BarrelAgeMe Initiate (0) Nov 18, 2015 Nebraska

Give me that Saison Brett from Boulevard. Love this brew

11. BrettHead

Showed up at Beertopia yesterday. That beer is the reason my username is BrettHead.
    Well that that beer and all the Grateful Dead I was listening too :grinning:

12. Bonedizzle

Bonedizzle Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2016 Nebraska

did beertopia get any pirate bomb recently? apparently iowa got some last week? i was in beertopia last week and yesterday and didnt see any.

13. TheHopsman

TheHopsman Defender (632) Apr 7, 2015 Nebraska
    Trader

I can't say for certain since I don't work there nor live in Omaha (so I'd guess no)... BUT... Iowa is usually just behind on getting that type of stuff on the shelves like Pirate Bomb, Birthday Bomb, New Belgium Tart Lychee, etc. it's crazy.

14. LarkinW

LarkinW Initiate (0) Dec 23, 2007 Nebraska

They got it several weeks ago along with other shops in Omaha but it is long gone now. These days we get Prairie releases very soon after Prairie posts a press release on their website/social media.

BrettHead likes this.
  15. BrettHead

Yeah, Pirate was some time ago for us. Onto Birthday Bomb which is also almost gone. Well at least at our store and at GLP.
    We do have a case or two of Pirate for the next time we do a cellar sale though.

Apple Brandy Noir shouldn't be too far off. It's a toss-up for me between Pirate Bomb and Apple Brandy Noir for best Prairie stout I have had.

CowsandBeer, TheHopsman and Shermski like this.
  16. BarrelAgeMe

BarrelAgeMe Initiate (0) Nov 18, 2015 Nebraska

Pirate has been my favorite Bomb thus far, no question

17. Bonedizzle

Birthday bomb was mentioned on the thursday beercorner email. I did not know about pirate bomb landing. Any chance of a mentioning of apple brandy noir being on the circular? i spend enough money going to beertopia once a week, I cant afford multiple trips just to look for all the beers I want to try.

or, bretthead, you should just PM me when any good stouts land :slight_smile: It is exhausting trying to find out when all these releases are supposed to happen

BrettHead likes this.
  18. BrettHead

rekd0514 likes this.
  19. Bonedizzle

i added my self to that group, never new about it, thanks

BrettHead likes this.
  20. BrettHead

Yep, of course!

21. Msudukie

Msudukie Aspirant (245) Oct 26, 2013 New York
    Trader

Hoping you just mis-typed your post as Armsby Abbey is an hour outside of Boston in Worcester. Great food and they do have a lot of HF regularly on tap.

jwwhitney and BrettHead like this.
  22. BrettHead

Given people who live on the coasts knowledge of "flyover" country I think he was close enough :grinning:

jwwhitney likes this.
  23. Msudukie

Msudukie Aspirant (245) Oct 26, 2013 New York
    Trader

True - was just hoping he meant "in the area" so did not get to Boston proper and then find out it was a drive to get there.

Appreciate the "flyover" country comment - used to get it all the time (originally from Beatrice)

jwwhitney and BrettHead like this.
  24. BrettHead

Haha, I wondered what might have lead you to look in this thread!

25. jwwhitney

Yea, I mistyped it :wink: Actually good to know tho, will be in Boston in Sept, but imagine we'll be driving all over, still good to know the bar is an hour away. Thanks! Cheers.

BrettHead likes this.
  26. jwwhitney

Yea, everywhere is like 25 mins away for me here in town, so what's an hour for HF! #worthit Cheers!

27. fds

Going on a camping / floating trip end of July, anyone think Pivo cans are around by then?

28. poopinmybutt

they are in lincoln already so i would think so.

29. BrettHead

Different distributors...For inexplicable reasons the distributor in the smaller town is not afraid of cans, while the one in Omaha is.

They didn't bring in Centennial cans until like a year after Lincoln did. Drives me crazy.

Current bottles go out of code 7/22, they better bring in some cans next load...

poopinmybutt and fds like this.
  30. poopinmybutt

oh weird i had no idea! guess that would also make sense why f-w was around omaha a few weeks before here too..

BrettHead likes this.
  31. Bonedizzle

any ETA on that Apple Brandy Noir?

32. BrettHead

Next week for sure

33. wasatchback

wasatchback Disciple (378) Jan 12, 2014 Tajikistan
    Trader

In Lincoln tonight passing through. Any tips? Looks like HopCat has HF Dorothy on tap, which blows my mind. Boiler looks decent.

34. BrettHead

I'd say HopCat, The Happy Raven, Boiler Brewing. Wonder how much HopCat is charging for their Dorothy

35. poopinmybutt

depend
    depending on what you are into, jakes cigars has some nice stuff on tap right now - jolly pumpkin bam biere and nebraska brewing pils have been hitting the spot for me lately. just be warned people can smoke cigars in there so you will smell like it when you leave

to second bretthead re: hopcat/prices, what seemed like a promising joint at first has quickly fallen by the wayside for me. good food, but their prices are bonkers, most employees don't care, typical chain bullshit. i'll stop in for happy hour now and then but outside of that it's a hard pass

BrettHead likes this.
  36. BrettHead

Yeah I'd only stop there if it's the only place that still has Dorothy

37. wasatchback

wasatchback Disciple (378) Jan 12, 2014 Tajikistan
    Trader

Dorothy was "on deck" which means later this week I guess... The prices were a little whack and there were tons of beers but nothing I was that fired up to drink. Had a sample of "tiny tiles" from
    somewhere in NE. Supposed to be a mosaic single hop and I literally could t taste any mosaic, which for that Hop is odd. Didn't get to go to Boiler which I suspect would have been the better spot.

Dorothy will b $10 yet Rico Sauvin was $12??? Explain that?

38. rekd0514

rekd0514 Initiate (0) Feb 8, 2009 South Dakota

From the Sioux City, IA area, but joined as well.

BrettHead likes this.
  39. CrummyLuke

CrummyLuke Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2014 Nebraska

Not sure what the hell happened at HopCat. I was there opening night and everything seemed pretty reasonable in terms of beer price. Was looking over the menu trying to make recommendations to a friend and was wide eyed at some of the prices/serving sizes. Most of them you'd be better off buying a bottle/4/6 pack and move on.

That being said, I could go for some crack fries.

40. fds

I thought a year ago they were saying an Omaha location would be following the Lincoln one, but haven't heard anything else about that recently. Sounds like we're not missing much based on the last couple posts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.