Beer in Omaha, NE

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by BeersAndBears, Jan 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrummyLuke

CrummyLuke Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2014 Nebraska

I too heard the rumor of an Omaha location when I first read about the Lincoln one in planning. I wouldn't stick my nose up at it if it came around, they still have great food. I'd just have to choose my beer selection carefully

2. BrettHead

BrettHead Initiate (0) Sep 18, 2010 Nebraska

As far as I know it's still happening. Early 2017 I'm guessing.

3. fds

fds Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2013 Nebraska

Anyone know if we'll be getting any of the recent Sue cannings anytime soon? Still think middle of May is the most recent I've seen but sounds like Iowa has June batches. Similar question for Todd too, I guess.

Have had both within the last week and still tasting great but have read about the more recent batches in other threads and now I'm wanting to try those.

4. BrettHead

I'm guessing Jbros is still heavy on Sue. Probably not so heavy on Todd.

5. fds

fds Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2013 Nebraska

Somewhat related, but has Nebraska ever seen GNug cans? I prefer Sue anyways but literally haven't seen any Nugget in months.

6. BrettHead

Not sure what their plan is there if any. They still have a lot of the bottles from last October :astonished:

They actually aren't too heavy on Sue it ends up; it's going to take them a minute to move the Todd they have though.

TheHopsman, jwwhitney and fds like this.
  7. jwwhitney

jwwhitney Initiate (0) Mar 5, 2015 Nebraska

Certainly those golden nugget bottles are out of date by now??

BrettHead likes this.
  8. BrettHead

9. dlphnfn

dlphnfn Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2011 Iowa

I noticed the same here in Iowa.... GN sat on shelves as bottles, now they seem to sell as fast as PS . Maybe it's just me buying it. :slight_smile:

CowsandBeer and BrettHead like this.
  10. threedjmay

threedjmay Initiate (37) Apr 27, 2014 Iowa

The difference in taste and quality of the GN cans compared to the old 12oz bottles is significant. The GN cans now don't stay on the shelves for long!

11. 4dcyclones

4dcyclones Initiate (0) Sep 13, 2014 Kansas

Did/Will King Sue hit Omaha?

12. BrettHead

Doesn't leave the brewery. And unfortunately Nebraska only sees FL beer not anything from Decorah.

13. SudsSavant

SudsSavant Aspirant (238) Jan 9, 2007 Minnesota
    Trader

14. 4dcyclones

4dcyclones Initiate (0) Sep 13, 2014 Kansas

As the person above said, it hits distro, just didn't know if Omaha was lucky enough.

15. BrettHead

Hasn't hit distro in several releases. They still self-distribute to WI so I wouldn't be surprised if that was the only state they send any to. Regardless it definitely won't come to Nebraska like all bombers. If IA does see it, then Council Bluffs will almost certainly get some.

16. Xeal

Xeal Initiate (188) Mar 5, 2016 New York
    Trader

My beer share buddy is traveling back home to Omaha for the next two weeks but he's not as well-versed in what's limited distribution, hidden local gems beers, etc. I'm usually the one who acquires the beers and he helps me drink them and chips in. This time he said he'll be the one to try and stock up for our share.

Unfortunately I'm not as well-versed with the Omaha scene. I asked him to try and bring back some King Sue but from reading the above posts it seems like that's not happening lol. Any suggestions on what to take back to NY would be welcome :slight_smile:

17. BrettHead

Sorry kept meaning to respond but always slipped my mind. Their really aren't a lot of noteworthy brands available in NE but not NY. The one's that stand out to me are:

Surly
    Toppling Goliath
    Ska
    Odell
    Deschutes

Some of the 750's from local breweries (Zipline, Upstream, Farnam House, Ploughshare, etc.) would be a good choice too. Cheers

Xeal and jwwhitney like this.
  18. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Disciple (306) Dec 24, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

Hey so I'm going to be passing through Omaha this weekend, anything I should definitely check out/do?

19. JCadwell

JCadwell Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2008 Nebraska

Great Nebraska Beerfest is on Saturday - I believe they still have tickets available: http://greatnebraskabeerfest.com/

Other then that, depends on where you're at. Beertopia (midtown) is a great Bottleshop (I'm sure Bretthead can speak to that). If you're downtown, check out Local - all local beers on tap. The Benson area (60th-ish & Maple) has a bunch of great beer bars.

BrettHead likes this.
  20. shyblee

shyblee Initiate (0) Nov 1, 2015 Iowa

They keep dropping off the October bottles across the river in So. Sioux City... Shipment from 06/22-- October 15, 2016, Shipment from 08/15-- October 15, 2016. I wonder how TG would feel about their distributor dropping off 10 month old IPAs?

21. BrettHead

I wondered who the heck was ordering those old ass things, I see them going a little lower every week in the JBROS inventory much to my amazement. I'd tag tgchief but he appears to have turned it off.

22. jwwhitney

Def stop by Beertopia for bottle shop, great selection and the guys that work there know their stuff. Right down the street is Farnam House brewery with good beers. If you are wanting more of a food/taps/bar crawl, head to Benson area for alot of options in a small area. Cheers!

BrettHead likes this.
  23. BrettHead

Cheers @JCadwell and @jwwhitney, I hadn't noticed his post. Thanks for the recommendation :slight_smile:

Farnam House is probably my favorite local brewery. I love the food too. Scriptown is also a good option that is nearby.

Try peche mortel @jwwhitney? Thoughts?

jwwhitney and JCadwell like this.
  24. jwwhitney

Actually no, I accidentally left it at work yesterday so was unable to drink it. Gonna drink it tonight! :sunglasses:

BrettHead likes this.
  25. shyblee

shyblee Initiate (0) Nov 1, 2015 Iowa

Is it up to the distributor to tell stores that all fresh GNug and Dorothy is in cans when they order bottles, or the managers job to know not to order bottles, only cans? I've told the store owner to have a talk with JBros.

26. TheHopsman

TheHopsman Defender (632) Apr 7, 2015 Nebraska
    Trader

Man, this thread is dead. :slight_frown: So... how about that Boulevard Bourbon Barrel Quad 4-pack, worth picking up? Also, anyone opened their Funkier Pumpkin 750mL yet? I plan on doing so this week.

27. lvoutlawjlh

lvoutlawjlh Initiate (0) Mar 15, 2012 Nebraska

I enjoyed both.

28. poopinmybutt

poopinmybutt Initiate (90) May 25, 2005 Nebraska

anyone heard anything recent on schlafly?

29. BrettHead

No, not in a long, long time. Which reminds me I need to go to CB and look for TIPA.

poopinmybutt and LarkinW like this.
  30. squashington

squashington Initiate (0) May 22, 2013 Iowa

Forgot to post this last month. Sunday, Sep 11th I made the trek down I29 to golf at Indian Creek and spend the day in Omaha. Cartner and I ordered a mixed 6 from the cart gal, 3 NBC Cardinal Pale Ale and 3 EOS. Everything was on the up and up, Cardinal was its typical self. Malty, marginally acceptable pale.

After the turn we ordered a 6'er of Cardinal and she had to run back to clubhouse for some. I crack the can and take a sip and am immediately struck with a WTF? sour surprise. Don't get me wrong, it was better than normal Cardinal, just not what I anticipated. Cartner's a fellow beer bro and completely agreed it's infected. We only had one each then returned to clubhouse requesting a refund. Manager promised it wasn't old (we know it wasn't) and only offered to refund the 4 unopened ones. W/e, don't want to argue. Just wanted to let him know to return the 7//26 batch as that's not what Cardinal Pale Ale is intended to be.

Does NBC have an infection or was this just a bad batch?

BrettHead likes this.
  31. BrettHead

Haven't heard anything, I'll see if we have any of that batch when I get to work later

32. MwMiller330

MwMiller330 Initiate (0) Nov 29, 2015 Iowa

Any Xocoveza sightings?

Ristaccia likes this.
  33. Bonedizzle

Bonedizzle Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2016 Nebraska

did we ever get any BA dinosmores? i thought they were going to distro what they didnt sell at the brewery

34. jwwhitney

Fairly certain Nebraska got a grand total of 1 case a few weeks ago.

BrettHead and Ristaccia like this.
  35. Ristaccia

Ristaccia Initiate (0) Nov 21, 2012 Nebraska

Yup.

BrettHead likes this.
  36. Bonedizzle

Bonedizzle Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2016 Nebraska

well whats this thread for then. i didnt see a thing about it here or on the facebook group.

37. reshumate

reshumate Initiate (0) May 29, 2016 Iowa

What's the local verdict on Lucky Bucket? I quite enjoy Stupefy. Overhopped, but tasty.

38. BarrelAgeMe

BarrelAgeMe Initiate (0) Nov 18, 2015 Nebraska

I'm not a huge Lucky Bucket fan, but their redesigned taproom is nice and some of their small batch stuff is decent

39. BarrelAgeMe

BarrelAgeMe Initiate (0) Nov 18, 2015 Nebraska

Does anyone know when Omaha will see Backwoods Bastard?

40. jwwhitney

I am not sure posting that a single case of beer has hit Omaha on this thread/FB group would accomplish much (other then nearly everyone getting shutout/being mildly bummed/annoyed that they didn't get any). Kindof the luck of the draw on some of extremely allocated releases, IMO. Cheers!

siouxbrew, BrettHead and Ristaccia like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.