Beer in TV shows & movies

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Vaison, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Vaison

Vaison Initiate (0) Aug 27, 2010 Delaware

When watching TV or movies, do you find yourself taking a closer look at the type of beers being consumed in the show? If so, what shows do you recall seeing a craft beer - or at least something different than the usual American adjunct lagers?

I was watching Franklin & Bash, DVR'ed from last night, and it appeared that they were drinking Founders Centennial IPA. The camera never really got close enough to show it clearly, but the Founders logo on the bottle neck was distinguishable enough. I also remember watching Reno 911 back in the day and they were always drinking DFH before they were as well known as today. Hell, I live about 30 minutes from the DFH brewery and I didn't know much about them then.

2. BB1313

BB1313 Poo-Bah (2,859) Jul 16, 2009 Ohio

Zack Morris is a huge Founders fan, so it completely makes sense it would be in one of his shows.

Walt orders a Fat Tire on-tap once in Breaking Bad... and Hank homebrews some Schraderbrau, haha..

3. slangtruth

slangtruth Initiate (117) Jan 8, 2012 Kentucky

In the last series of Top Chef there was lots of DFH being consumed around the cast house. I assumed it was paid product placement.

4. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2009 California

I watched a real schitty movie last night on HBO called Cabin Fever. The movie was SO BAD, but what kept my interest was that they were drinking Arrogant Bastard throughout from beginning to end. On HBO's Hung, Founders Double Trouble has made a few appearances...

5. standardcherry

standardcherry Devotee (491) Jan 17, 2011 Massachusetts

They also drink Founders Breakfast Stout. In last night's episode there's a scene where Bash walks in with some groceries (or something), including 2 packs of FBS.

djsmith1174 likes this.
  6. Riseagainstme

Riseagainstme Initiate (0) Apr 30, 2012

One fun oops me and the woman noticed was in True Blood...They flashed back to like the 70's or 80's with the scene in a bar and you could see a Guiness 125th anniversary tap handle

7. beerme411

beerme411 Initiate (0) Sep 28, 2010 California

8. Bobheed

Bobheed Initiate (0) Dec 27, 2010 Texas

9. TripleDigitIBUs

TripleDigitIBUs Initiate (0) Jun 21, 2011 California

In the second to most recent season of Weeds, a few of the Botwins ordered some Stone Ruination from a booth at an event. The show wasn't obvious about it, but if you have bought Stone products, you can tell that is what they were drinking. Funny part is I had actually been drinking Stone IPA when watching the episode, and I raised my glass to seeing quality craft being promoted on television.

10. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (3,314) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire

I saw that same thing and thought it was odd because the show is in California. Founders is probably my favorite brewery when I can pick it up in Massachusetts, but fresh Union Jack or West Coast IPA is my choice over Centennial.

11. DrDoitchbig

DrDoitchbig Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2009 Michigan

I think you mean the 250th Anniversary tap handle, Guinness' 125th Anniversary would have been in 1884.

On a side note Abita is seen on True Blood quite a bit. Tap handles and signs I believe.

LuskusDelph and djsmith1174 like this.
  12. bushycook

bushycook Initiate (175) Jan 31, 2011 Virginia

Yeah Ray's always drinking Bell's in Hung also.

djsmith1174 likes this.
  13. Hanzo

Hanzo Savant (954) Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

If it were paid, wouldn't you see BMC in every show ever made?

(assuming the placement went to the highest bidder)

djsmith1174 likes this.
  14. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,609) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

2 1/2 men always have decent beers.

LuskusDelph likes this.
  15. 5thOhio

5thOhio Devotee (481) May 13, 2007 South Carolina

You know you're a beer geek when you focus on the bottle labels while watching a movie...

16. Spider889

Spider889 Savant (991) Mar 24, 2010 Ohio
    Industry

It's been mentioned before that on The Office they often will have placement of local beer in scenes. I also recall the show saying that it was to add some local flare and not paid placement. I forget what but in the recent season there were a couple shows with FL/South local beer in them.

In an older episode where Michael goes to David Wallace's house to get advice after the Sabre take-over the two are seen sitting in a hot tub and David Wallace is drinking Yuengling while Michael has a Yuengling Black and Tan.

phishterrrrrrr88 likes this.
  17. RStang13

RStang13 Initiate (0) Jun 22, 2011 New Jersey

It's funny, as I was watching it dvr'd last night I thought about starting the same thread. The younger black chick that questioned the stoner was also drinking dirty bastard

18. Heatwave33

Heatwave33 Initiate (0) Sep 13, 2011 Florida

Monday night on Conan he was learning how to do Irish tap dancing. They showed all the bars in the place and I kept seeing Half Acre tap handles.

ravot and KAF like this.
  19. ShawDeuce22

ShawDeuce22 Initiate (82) Mar 17, 2009 Massachusetts

I've seen Stone products throughout "Weeds" too. There was a scene that they were at a bus stop and the advertisement in the bus stop was a Stone poster. Another was a t-shirt, some beers here and there, and of course I noticed they had the Stone sauces (BBQ/Hot Sauce) on a table at a resaurant they were at. I believe this was in the 5th season, but don't quote me on this

buddha5050 and Eriktheipaman like this.
  20. ShanePB

ShanePB Poo-Bah (1,696) Sep 6, 2010 Pennsylvania

Yeah, I think in the episode where they all go to the Dave & Buster's looking arcade after work ("Date Mike"), Oscar and the warehouse guys are drinking what clearly looks to be Lionshead.

phishterrrrrrr88 likes this.
  21. Cyrano41

Cyrano41 Aspirant (289) Aug 7, 2009 Virginia

I always find myself trying to read the labels on the bottles! My wife doesn't think it is as fun a game as I do.....

22. dukes

dukes Initiate (0) Apr 2, 2012 Maryland

They were drinking SNPA and Guinness Extra Stout during the party scene in Grandma's Boy. That was back in 2004 I believe.

Badfish and afrokaze like this.
  23. slangtruth

slangtruth Initiate (117) Jan 8, 2012 Kentucky

Incorrect assumption. These deals are carefully negotiated, not just put up for bid. That's why they call it "placement".

24. Hanzo

Hanzo Savant (954) Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

It's called placement because companies pay for their products to be "placed" in shows/movies. Because BMC has the most advertising money one would assume they would have the power if they chose to get in every show/movie they wanted.

I am sure there are some shows/movies that want to give the show more "local credit", so they go with the smaller guys.

25. knightlypint

knightlypint Initiate (0) Apr 18, 2012 New Jersey

21/2 Men frequently are drinking Radeberger.

26. yankeefan287

yankeefan287 Initiate (168) Feb 23, 2012 Pennsylvania

It's not a movie or TV show, but during the commercials I usually pay attention when people are in restaurants. There was one within the last couple months in one of those Match.com (or something similiar) commericials where they were at restaruant and I could see a Victory taphandle in the background.

27. smutty33

smutty33 Defender (671) Jun 12, 2009 Connecticut

A short while back I was flipping through the channels and happened to see this super,corny,wannabe horror/slasher film w/some hot chicks in it.Something like they were on an island and a killer was stalking them.(Don't remember the title and I'm glad).Anyways,I watched it for a good half hour cuz the group of people were all drinking Stone I.P.A around a campfire....lol.

Cheers All.......

28. YaKnowBrady

YaKnowBrady Initiate (0) Jul 23, 2010 New Jersey

Next Food Network Star's latest episode showed a guy making beer-batter hot wings, and he was using Sixpoint's Sweet Action

29. FosterJM

FosterJM Poo-Bah (2,716) Nov 16, 2009 California

Wasnt that from a week ago with the cop in the bar? I didnt watch last nights yet. However, I saw that too and actually sent him a tweet, calling him a cheeky bastard for slipping that in there. I see more craft in movies than I do in TV shows though. Although, whenever I see them on Chopped cooking with beer, they always take the label off but I tweet Ted Allen and ask what it was, but again. No reply.

Cheers!

orecchio14 likes this.
  30. TheMultiYeast

TheMultiYeast Defender (605) Oct 11, 2011 Vermont

Chandler was drinking a SNPA on Friends once. Good for him.

LuskusDelph and Badfish like this.
  31. smutty33

smutty33 Defender (671) Jun 12, 2009 Connecticut

And your a fan of "friends"?....lol.....NOT good for you !

just kidding,Cheers

32. jacobbocce72

jacobbocce72 Initiate (0) Dec 18, 2011 Texas

Was watching season 4 of Breaking Bad the other day and Marie brings home a 6 pack of Shiner for Hank (she did buy Fritos instead of Cheetos, though)... always nice to see a local texas brew in a TV show.

33. HarrySTruman

HarrySTruman Initiate (0) May 16, 2012 Michigan

My g/f was watching The Real Housewives of Orange County the other week and I saw them drinking Pilsen. For those who are going to say, "sure, SHE was watching it," it's the sacrifice I make to be able to watch sports whenever I please. I was all the real housewives shows with here and some other MTV/Lifetime crap, I get to watch all the NFL football and Soccer I can handle (watching Euro right now, although she quickly exited to take a shower).

34. standardcherry

standardcherry Devotee (491) Jan 17, 2011 Massachusetts

Yeah, I got curious since Founders doesn't distribute in California and it turns out the show is recorded in Atlanta.

Badfish likes this.
  35. Heatwave33

Heatwave33 Initiate (0) Sep 13, 2011 Florida

The movie sounds like Club Dread.

smutty33 likes this.
  36. Spider889

Spider889 Savant (991) Mar 24, 2010 Ohio
    Industry

Love the pre-emptive defense of your masculinity. :astonished:

37. SebD

SebD Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2010 Ontario (Canada)

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale in one Dexter episode

racer2k and Brutaltruth like this.
  38. HarrySTruman

HarrySTruman Initiate (0) May 16, 2012 Michigan

I've posted on internet forums before.

LuskusDelph, Gear54 and Gamblor14 like this.
  39. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Poo-Bah (2,218) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

Both make sense. The show is set in Michigan I believe

40. BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw Initiate (0) May 31, 2012 Arizona

In 6 Feet Under, Nate drank SNPA multiple times. A little different but the Bing from the Sopranos had a couple Sam Adams signs.

Scalzo likes this.