Beer in TV shows & movies

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Vaison, Jun 14, 2012.

1. dlcarst

dlcarst (334) Aug 21, 2015 Missouri
    Trader

In the Bond film The Man with the Golden Gun the villain (played by Christopher Lee) drinks a bottled Guinness out of a glass and savors it. Really unusual for a film from that era (1974).

HorseheadsHophead and Gajo74 like this.
  2. rgordon

rgordon (695) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I remember a can of Schlitz from Steve McQueen's Bullitt. He had a cool Mustang, but the rebirth of the Charger is timeless, going backwards. What a design!!

3. Gajo74

Gajo74 (996) Sep 14, 2014 New York
    Society Trader

Can we reopen this thread?
    I’m watching the eagerly anticipated release of Cobra Kai Season 4. I would have drank a Coors Banquet in honor of Johnny but didn’t have any on hand. :slight_smile:
    Spoiler Alert: In episode 2, La Russo is teaching Johnny wax on wax off while drinking a supposedly fancy beer. Johnny gets frustrated and takes one of La Russo’s beers and it turns out to be Blue Moon. He derides it with something along the lines of “I’d figure you’d drink a fruity beer” type of response. Is it me, or how much funnier would this had been had Daniel been drinking a fruity IPA or kettle sour?

4. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat (669) Oct 28, 2010 Iowa
    Trader

I had that thought too, it would have been funnier if he was actually drinking fancy beer. Which maybe says something about Johnny.

I assume the real answer is that Blue Moon is a MillerCoors Product as well.

Gajo74 likes this.
  5. Gajo74

Gajo74 (996) Sep 14, 2014 New York
    Society Trader

You’re probably right. Still, it seems like a missed opportunity for Miller Coors. Remember the Budweiser Super Bowl commercial where they made fun of craft beer drinkers? “Beer is not meant to be fussed over”, “let them sip their pumpkin peach beer” etc.
    They totally could have taken a page out of their book in order to make fun of the fruity kettle sour drinkers.

NickTheGreat and snaotheus like this.
  6. dlcarst

Trader

Pig (on Hulu) has a scene in a restaurant. SN Pale and Anchor Steam on the wall (along with some familiar non-craft beers). There's some others that someone with a bigger TV and better eyes might be able to identify.

7. woodchipper

woodchipper (900) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Not identified-- Has anyone else been entertained (or annoyed) that any branded ingredient used on Chopped is relabeled to appear generic. I sometimes get animated to my wife saying "That pale ale bottle is most likely Sierra Nevada!!!!!!!!".

8. Fenski

Fenski (418) Apr 24, 2008 Ohio
    Society

I will catch an episode of "Gunsmoke" every now and then. I've wondered what beer would have been served in Dodge City in the 1890's and what was the actual beer that they drank on the set.

seakayak likes this.
  9. jesskidden

jesskidden (884) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Kansas was "Dry"
    during that period, but there were a lot of loopholes, as noted in that source. No breweries in Dodge City and I don't know Kansas geography well enough to check the nearby towns. Records show there were only 2 breweries in KS from 1890 - Prohibition. In Topeka in the center of the state the local paper noted in 1899:
    [​IMG]
    That's why they called those large brewers like AB and the Milwaukee firms like Schlitz, Pabst and Blatz "shipping brewers" during that period. I don't think Dodge was serviced by a railroad during the show, tho'?

As for what they drank on the set - I've seen it suggested that it was usually near beer being consumed during the filming of TV shows. I recall once reading that General Brewing Corp., brewers of Lucky Lager (and the largest CA-based brewery in that period) brewed a near beer that was used by some film companies and even sold in Calif. prisons but never came across another mention of it. Other well-known near beers were sold in CA - notably Goetz Near Beer one of the longest-lived with a large national distribution. (Goetz Brewing Co. of Missouri was also the originated of Country Club Malt Liquor - go figure).

10. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat (669) Oct 28, 2010 Iowa
    Trader

I don't know about Chopped in particular but I've seen segments talking about branding on other Food Network Shows. Like they go to great lengths to not show real brands. Sometimes a sticker over the brand, sometimes an entirely new box/container.

Beer_Economicus and woodchipper like this.
  11. schteve

schteve (488) Sep 10, 2003 New Jersey

I was watching the show Imposters on Netflix last night and they were drinking this beer: https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/29378/83758/

It's set in Seattle, filmed in Vancouver, hence the beer. Funny thing was, there was a scene set in Pottsville, PA, and they were drinking that same beer. I woulda thought for sure it would've been Yuengling there. :wink:

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  12. jesskidden

Society Trader

Well... apparently, it's not called Imposters for nothin'... :grin:

13. Fenski

Fenski (418) Apr 24, 2008 Ohio
    Society

Thanks JK, great info. In the afterlife, I'll have to ask Miss Kitty what she was servin'.

seakayak likes this.
  14. jesskidden

Society Trader

It always looks too damn light and clear for 19th century lager to me - ditto for whatever the boys drank on Bonanza (spent nearly a month in hospitals back in 2020 and watched a lot of whatever channels play those old shows).

15. Bitterbill

Bitterbill (1,805) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

I'm watching Netherbeast Incorporated and a couple walk into Four Peaks brewery.

16. Beerspeakspeoplemumble

Beerspeakspeoplemumble (0) Sep 12, 2021 Connecticut

Slightly unrelated but I just noticed in the YouTube version of a podcast I listen to (Stuff Island) they drink Upper Pass & Toppling Goliath out of Teku's.

Rug likes this.
  17. Hinda65

Hinda65 (545) May 7, 2017 Utah
    Trader

Bridgette Everett has a new show on HBO and they we're drinking Tank 7 in episode 2. I also thought it was cool that in episode on 1 they were drinking Bud and episode 2 they were drinking Coors...But thats not all

Also in episode one when walking form the car to her house, Bridgette is carrying a 6 pack of what looked like another Boulevard beer, but once inside, they are drinking the Bud.

The show takes place in Kansas so that make sense for Boulevard but still it makes me think someone in Props or the director or whoever likes Boulevard.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  18. butterygold

butterygold (0) May 12, 2020 Spain

On How I Met Your Mother, on the bar shelves of McLaren's Pub, you can almost always see Sierra Nevada Pale. I am pretty sure you can also see Lagunitas at various times. Of course, there's always an ice cold Wharmpess if you'd prefer!

ChicagoJ, Rug and dlcarst like this.
  19. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 (365) Aug 2, 2017 Pennsylvania

No show in the history of time has made casual drinking look cooler than Justified on FX. From the many different brands of bourbon, to the local Kentucky beers, everything they show adds that little bit of flavor to an extremely bad ass show.

BigIronH and Rug like this.
  20. dlcarst

Trader

Voodoo Ranger is in Halloween Kills. A guy walks up to the bartender and asks for the "voodoo skeleton thing."

21. dlcarst

Trader

Sam Adams Oktoberfest and Shipyard Pumpkin in CODA. The fishermen are all drinking Bud and PBR though.

22. dlcarst

Trader

Brooklyn Lager in Taken 3 (and maybe some others as they shoot up a liquor store, but it's edited so quickly and I was watching at someone else's place so I figured it wouldn't be polite to pause every shot to see the beers).

Rug and DogbiteWilliams like this.
  23. Coronaeus

Coronaeus (1,196) Apr 21, 2014 Canada (ON)
    Society Trader

I’ve been watching Trailer Park Boys again. In the early seasons Alexander Keith’s is evident in several episodes. A few seasons later Ray drinks Propellor in a couple scenes. In the Netflix reboot, I can’t make out any labels.

BigIronH, Rug and ChicagoJ like this.
  24. moodenba

moodenba (706) Feb 2, 2015 New York

I remember the TV show Northern Exposure from the early 90s, which sometimes featured Alaskan Brewing Co. beers, including Alaskan Amber, on tap in the bar. Those regular appearances evidently boosted visibility. The company is around 30 years later, and Alaskan Amber is still sold!
    https://archive.seattletimes.com/archive/?date=19920308&slug=1479766
    A variety of other northwest brewers' neons and other signs was also displayed. The show isn't available on regular streaming services. Some episodes are available at
    https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3mz20h

#784 moodenba, Nov 15, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2022
    Redrover, Rug and ChicagoJ like this.
  25. medb

medb (0) Aug 27, 2013 California

I watched an Australian film called Wake in Fright recently, talk about a beer fueled experience. I’m nearly getting a hangover thinking about it.

tolar111 and jonphisher like this.
  26. dcotom

dcotom (1,496) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Chicago Fire, Ep. 312. Apartment scene.
    Girl #1: "Anybody want a beer?"
    Girl #2: "I don't have any beer."
    Girl #1: "Oh, yes, you do." (opens fridge and pulls two bottles out of a six-pack of Zombie Dust)
    Me: "Boo-ya! That's what I'm talkin' about!"

ramseye4, ChicagoJ, Rug and 5 others like this.
  27. moodenba

Movie "Jerry and Marge go Large"
    The Mass. convenience store where Jerry and Marge buy lottery tickets for their winning scheme has a large stack of Harpoon IPA. Later in the movie, the store clerk's wife runs in and takes a case of Bud from the cooler without paying. Fairly entertaining take on the true story of the residents of a small town in Michigan taking money out of the pockets of Massachusetts lottery players. The state lottery commission wasn't too concerned about "fair play" since the state got their increased take.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  28. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa (964) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Is Curly drinking a steam beer!?! :wink:

Redrover likes this.
  29. steveh

steveh (1,203) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

30. jesskidden

Society Trader

(Left) Opening credits of SHAFT - briefly walking by the famous Piels sign in Times Square:
    [​IMG]
    (Right) Same sign a few years later, after the bar "Grant's" underneath had closed.

That sign location in the 1940s featured an ad from Brooklyn's TROMMER'S beer, with "Grant's" their largest draught account - 30k bbl./yr. (Piel Bros. had bought the Trommer's brand and their Brooklyn brewery in the early 1950s.)

31. moodenba

Teddy's bar (96 Berry St. at N. 8 St. Brooklyn) features an exterior "Peter Doelger Extra" stained glass. The sign is clear in Google Maps street view. Their website indicates the bar has been featured in King of New York, Boardwalk Empire, Shades of Blue, The Good Wife, Blue Bloods, PS I Love You, The Intern. In the early 80s, the Bar Tourists of America included that location in a tour that I attended -- no exciting beers then. The beer list has improved though.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  32. budsNpils

budsNpils (687) Aug 6, 2021 Texas
    Society Trader

I'm trying to find a clip or picture. I was rewatching Fury the WW2 tank movie recently and as they were going through German bodies and shit I caught a glimpse of what seems to be a soldier pulling a Andechser bottle off someone. I may need to rewatch it again to know exactly which scene it's in.

[​IMG]
    I'm pretty sure what I seen tho. Hopefully I can get a picture of that scene to clarify things.

ChicagoJ and tolar111 like this.
  33. steveh

Society

Be a bit of an anachronism, I imagine. "Fury" took place away from Bavaria.

Maybe some German soldier schlepped it all the way to the front?

34. moodenba

On CBS new years show 2023
    Cheryl Crow sings about Falstaff Beer in "A change would do you good"
    "Ten years living in a paper bag
    Feedback baby, he's a flipped out cat
    He's a platinum canary, drinkin' Falstaff beer
    Mercedes rule, and a rented Lear"
    The song came out in 96 when the brand was at least surviving somewhere. But discontinued in 2005 according to Wikipedia.

35. jesskidden

Society Trader

Pabst had a Falstaff label approved by the TTB recently. (Well, in 2012, so over a decade ago now :astonished:). Brewed at City LaCrosse, like several other smaller Pabst brands.
    [​IMG]
    As I recall, no one ever saw the beer and there was speculation that it was done just to keep the trademark active. Why? If they're not going to revive the beer?

But, of course, numerous brands owned by Pabst from their predecessor companies (General, Falstaff, Pearl, Ballantine, Heileman, Stroh, Schlitz, Schaefer, Carling...the list goes on and on) have come and gone, so you never know. Pabst is always hoping that the miracle of the PBR revival can happen again but, of course, the company itself had little to do with that.

I'd buy Falstaff if it came in these plastic 12 packs again. :grin:
    [​IMG]

36. moodenba

Just to clear up my original post: Sheryl (with an S) Crow seen singing about Falstaff Beer on 2022 New Years Eve / 2023 New Years day CBS show from Nashville. Except for Sheryl Crow, the show featured modern "Country" music stars singing in front of bands sometimes including visible, but mute, fiddles and pedal steel guitars. Another throwback. The ghost of Hank Snow lurked.

37. steveh

Society

Mercedes Ruehl

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes_Ruehl

jesskidden and moodenba like this.
  38. moodenba

39. steveh

Society

https://www.songfacts.com/facts/sheryl-crow/a-change-would-do-you-good

Been a fan since her first album -- if not, necessarily, her back-up career. :wink:

moodenba likes this.
  40. AZgman

AZgman (265) Dec 22, 2011 Arizona
    Society Trader