Beer infused Pizza?!

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by Zhiguli, Apr 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Aspirant (242) Jul 12, 2012 California

You've probably heard it before: The secret ingredient to making great dough is the right H2O. "Water is what makes New York pizza so great," says Mark Bello from Pizza a Casa Pizza School in New York City's Lower East Side. "If you have highly chlorinated water, it can mess with the yeast and compromise crust sizes."
    [​IMG]
    Those of us in areas with less pristine watersheds now know why their homemade crusts are, well, inferior. Fortunately, there's an answer, and it doesn't involve a $1,200 water treatment system: Try beer.
    Sam Adams recently challenged Bello to replace his pH-balanced, gravity-fed water from the Catskills with one of its brews. The result: a surprisingly tasty (slightly malty) crust that you can consistently make with or without pristine water supplies.
    Not all beers are equal to the task. Bello recalls a time when he tried using a chipotle-infused brew that fell flat (obviously, this wasn't the first time he's made beer-y dough). If you're trying any old brew, you need to experiment to find the right flavor profile and pH – so that it rises in time and is workable into rounds.......

rest here

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/chompions/201303/how-make-beer-infused-pizza

2. bpgpitt10

bpgpitt10 Aspirant (287) May 12, 2008 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

Check out the post I made of this in "sharing your pairing." I was unhappy with the pizza dough. It basically turned out like bread with pizza stuff on top. Mine basically looked exactly like the one in the picture as well.

Let's put it this way. I use pretty much the same ratio of flour to water in my other doughs but with longer rise periods. I end up getting 3 pizzas (10-12in) out of them. With the limited gluten formation, I only got one out of this which made it insanely thick with little to no "bounce" in the dough.

I also think that the recipe calls for way too much yeast which creates even more of that yeasty / bready flavor going on. I will probably give beer in pizza another go, but it will likely just be as a substitute in my normal recipe with my normal rise times.

3. Bierlerner

Bierlerner Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2010 Oklahoma

4 key ingredients to making a good beer pizza dough
    1. The beer. Not just any will do as mentioned. Wheat beers and pale ales are the norm. Start with those first.
    2. Oil. Good quality evoo.
    3. Milk. Just a couple tbsps goes a long way.
    4. Flour. Use bread flour instead of all purpose flour.

A quality pizza stone as well

legend8706 likes this.
  4. bpgpitt10

Beer Trader

Just curious, why all the additions? I was thinking about trying one with a Neopolitan style where it's just beer, yeast, salt, and flour. Seems like that version is more in line with NY Style (though the milk throws me for a loop).

Also... pizza steel > pizza stone! It's badass :relaxed:

5. Bierlerner

Oil and milk just adds complexity and moisture, as well as flavor. I guess milk isn't exactly necessary, but it is somewhat noticeable. You can omit that one if you want. But quality extra virgin olive oil is a must. Bread flour seems to give more of a chewy inside crust with a nice crispness on the outside.

6. bpgpitt10

Beer Trader

Hmm so it sounds like both the oil and milk are preferences of yours. I personally find the traditional 4 ingredient neopolitan very complex (especially with a 3ish day cold ferment). I'll report back in a month or two after I try to simply replace the water my standard recipes (one neo and one NY style that uses oil and sugar) with beer. I hear a side by side taste test coming on!

Bierlerner likes this.
  7. Bierlerner

Oil is very common. Milk isn't though.

Definitely report back! :relaxed:

8. bpgpitt10

Beer Trader

Will do! Gonna be a while til I get around to making ALL those pizzas though haha. As for the oil, it's definitely common but only for non-neopolitan styles. Neopolitan is 4 ingredients period. I've read about milk before as well, but I really like to stay as traditional as possible so haven't tried that even when making a NY style. I think milk is more commonly found in pan style pizzas if my memory serves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.