Beer is Cuisine: Augie Carton at TEDxNavesink

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Fezzik1970, Jun 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fezzik1970

Fezzik1970 Initiate (0) Feb 22, 2014 New Jersey

Have you seen this? So proud this guy is from NJ.

2. Kanger

Kanger Zealot (521) Sep 3, 2013 New York

Nice one - will give this a watch later!

3. Hirshi

Hirshi Aspirant (248) May 1, 2012 New York

If you've had the pleasure of meeting Augie, his delivery here is as smooth and candid as his face-to-face conversations. Always inspiring and slowly changing the way I think about beer when it comes to food. Doesn't hurt that Carton beers are some of my absolutely favorites in the Northeast right now. Not afraid to brew outside of their comfort zone.

SammyJaxxxx and Streaky like this.
  4. JMS1512

JMS1512 Crusader (776) Feb 18, 2013 New Jersey

paraphrased: You're basically hearing a cover of a song written 25 years ago. Great quote. So glad this was posted, and that Carton is from NJ.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  5. BradenMK

BradenMK Aspirant (279) Sep 24, 2012 Alaska

I've seen him post here on BA a few times, and I never knew that A) His real name was Augie Carton, or B) that he was so articulate and down to earth. Why oh why does Ohio not get Carton beers??

6. Fezzik1970

Fezzik1970 Initiate (0) Feb 22, 2014 New Jersey

Wanted to call the threadit "how to advocate" but it got changed to a title that actually conveys information. Love the covering Ken Grossman's song line too.

7. AugiePrimrose

AugiePrimrose Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2009 Illinois

So two Augie's walk into a bar...

8. SaulTBauls

SaulTBauls Aspirant (238) Mar 22, 2013 Iowa
    Trader

What beers does Carton package?

9. mindfuldave

mindfuldave Devotee (443) Mar 22, 2011 New Jersey
    Trader

They regularly can their Boat (Session Ale), and they just did their first run of 077XX (DIPA) and Monkey Chased the Weasel (Berliner) in cans.

10. Kanger

Kanger Zealot (521) Sep 3, 2013 New York

Yep. Granted it can be hard to get their cans outside of Jersey. Though I do see Boat Beer on tap regularly in NYC.

11. dazedandconfused

dazedandconfused Aspirant (274) Dec 11, 2008 New Jersey
    Trader

Starting to turn into a bigger fan of Carton. Between this speech and the recent canned offerings, he's hitting it out of the park. I also respect the fact he was able to recommend other local beers instead of using the opportunity to promote his own.

12. checktherhyme

checktherhyme Initiate (172) Apr 8, 2008 Washington

Fantastic TED Talk. Thanks for the share.

13. LiquidCucumber

LiquidCucumber Initiate (0) Dec 18, 2009 Ohio

Very cool post/video!

14. EJLinneman

EJLinneman Aspirant (249) Mar 2, 2009 New Jersey
    Trader

Awesome video. If you're ever at the brewery and want to grab food afterwards, there's two local restaurants that feature Carton beers made specifically for them. They both illustrate what he's talking about in the video.

Moby's (Highlands) - A seafood restaurant featuring Wit Whale
    and
    Copper Canyon (Atlantic Highland) - A higher end Mexican restaurant featuring Catron Canyon.

15. mani

mani Initiate (188) Jun 16, 2012 New Jersey

Augie and the rest of the people at Carton just get it. Yes, they know how brew fantastic beers, but they just get life. They make complex beers that are fun, but make you think. And this is coming from a guy that likes to say, it's just beer.

16. Bigbadboris

Bigbadboris Initiate (0) Jan 6, 2013 New Jersey

Im lucky enough to get boat beer regularly at a store in somerset county....im just hoping that some monkey chased the weasel makes it up here

17. augiecarton

augiecarton Initiate (193) Oct 22, 2010 New Jersey
    Industry

thank's for the nice words, it was an honor to be asked and a pleasure to get to geek out for a bit.

amano_h likes this.
  18. yankeej13

yankeej13 Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2010 Florida

awesome. Super glad you posted that! Cheers

19. Naugros

Naugros Initiate (0) Apr 24, 2010 New Jersey

The best part is watching Augie's reaction to some of the points of laughter. I think he was pleasantly surprised at how much the audience understood where he was coming from.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.