Beer Karma Points for Beer and Place Photos Have Been Disabled

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by Todd, Feb 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd

Todd Founder (5,962) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

Effective immediately, Beer Karma has been disabled for beer and place photos and points will be adjusted by the system accordingly.

This is for two reasons:
    1. Back in December I posted that several users were grabbing photos from 3rd parties, uploading them to BA, and then taking credit for them. Unfortunately the practice continues.
    2. My goal is to eventually replace our current photo system with a modern photo gallery, allowing any user who reviews the beer to easily upload their own photo, but current images won't be a part of this due to old formatting standard.
    In the meantime, users who continue to upload photos will be tagged on the page, however, no points will be given. And thanks to everyone who took the time over the years to upload original photos.

2. Oh_Dark_Star

Oh_Dark_Star Poo-Bah (1,621) Mar 4, 2015 Washington
    Society Trader

I know the forum is closed and there are some changes in the works - not to mention mergers and a helluva lot going on in the beer and wider world right now, but has anyone else noticed the abrupt drop off of users posting beer photos now that no karma is awarded for them!

Used to be a race, but now three months later no photo. So sad. I end up putting photos up of beers I should have finished a month ago. Thanks to Tavour I either get a shipment every month or a mix of the fresh and less so (convo for another time), but I miss the pictures and wish there was a reward system again, even a smaller one for those who continue to post now that the karma is kaput. To me the silhouettes are lame, and photos were a meaningful part of the site.

Thoughts?

beersampler6 and rodbeermunch like this.
  3. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,142) Sep 24, 2007 Liechtenstein
    Society Trader

Well the following threads are very active: The daily WBAYDN thread, the Post pics of Latest haul thread, and, our regional NWWBAYDN thread.

If those 3 daily/regular threads don't give you enough space to express yourself, well I don't what to tell ya buddy. As always, you are most welcome in the NW forum.

Stay well and safe homeslice.

4. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (2,765) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

He's talking about database pictures.

5. Oh_Dark_Star

Society Trader

Yeah sorry I wasn’t clear. The closed forum I was referring to was the one announcing no more karma for beer and place pics. Seems the Bros didn’t want to hear from any naysayers.

And yes, the database pics as Snowcrash000 mentioned. Nice to actually see the brews there.

Thanks though for the note on the regional forum, don’t know why I haven’t checked that out yet.

6. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (4,027) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

I haven't been very active lately - do you have a link?

I thoroughly enjoy seeing my photos up in the database, but if things are just going to get washed away - I'll stop trying. Couldn't help but notice the 'pics added' was removed from user's profiles fairly recently.

7. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (24,018) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Society Trader

Thanks for adding this info as I was wondering abut it. I did notice that pic uploading was removed from the user stats since then. I may have been one of the bad guys regarding this rule, but I will still be contributing as much as I ever was before. Doesn't really change anything from my standpoint of the site. Cheers @Todd hope the site enhancements work well moving forward.

beersampler6, FBarber, jkblr and 2 others like this.
  8. mikeinportc

mikeinportc Savant (936) Nov 4, 2015 New York

Still adding. Put one up last night. A beer's page just seems better with a photo. :slight_smile:

9. eppCOS

eppCOS Meyvn (1,261) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Free riders ruin everything, but thanks for your work on this @Todd - we'll continue to add real, personal, pics of beers and beer-related propaganda to keep the site lively and humming.
    Cheers!

10. Oh_Dark_Star

Society Trader

Thanks very much @Todd for joining my post with your original notice!

I agree with the other comments that I will continue to add pics (and reviews and posts) regardless of karma as I very much appreciate them. I mostly wanted to state my observation that apparently many users feel differently, and have stopped adding beer pics. I was wondering if anyone else took notice or seconded that observation.

I find it sad that some folks contribute only for points or a nod. I could understand if it were for free beer prizes or access to festivals or other tangible perks.

Anyway a drop in contribution/participation however ridiculous, is still unfortunate.

Thanks everyone for making this site great!

PapaGoose03, beertunes and Todd like this.
  11. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (2,765) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

While I can see why Karma gains for picture uploads were turned off, I honestly can't say that I'm happy about applying that change retroactively and deleting the stat for it. That's just a huge slap in the face of all those people who have put a lot of time and effort into dealing with the overtly convoluted system in place for that here over the years.

While I still upload pictures myself, I can't say I blame anyone for not doing it anymore. It's not so much about the Karma, but rather the greater principle at stake here. By erasing everyone's contributions across the board, you're lumping all those people who have put a ton of work into taking and uploading their own pictures in with the cheaters and that just doesn't seem fair to me.

hopley, LiquidAmber, meanmutt and 6 others like this.
  12. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,149) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Exactly!

woodychandler likes this.
  13. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (3,243) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

I noticed this about a week ago, found the announcement (which was closed for comments) and decided that it wasn't worth starting a thread about ... but, I have to admit that I was disappointed to see that removed from the beer karma. I've spent a decent amount of time taking and uploading pictures as a contribution to the site and to have it just removed kind of sucks. That being said, while I wish it would go back, it is what it is and Im not going to give it any further thought.

I would like to suggest that the photos uploaded stat/number come back under our list of beer stats just for personal reference regardless of whether karma is assigned to it or not.

14. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (8,855) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

As one of the moderators/approvers of photos, I have not seen a huge drop off in the number that appear for approval.

PapaGoose03, Todd and Bitterbill like this.
  15. woodychandler

woodychandler Poo-Bah (11,034) Apr 9, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I am deeply saddened to hear that the current photos will not migrate. I have put a LOT of time & effort into taking, resizing & uploading pics over the years. I could not care less about Beer Karma since I was only doing it for posterity & now, even that will be lost. I will CANtinue to upload pics, but once the migration takes place & they are lost, I will not be uploading anything further.

For those who CANtinued to upload 3rd party pics, fie upon thee! It was a simple direction with CANother direction on the Upload page NOT to do it. Wow. Thanks for ruining it for the rest of us.

I lost a LOT of reviews in an earlier update when this site went from multiple reviews based on serving style to only one review per beer. The CANinued loss of user input is disheartening. Sigh.

16. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,149) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Yeah, I kinda agree with aboot the 3rd party pic uploaders. Nah, I totally agree with you. Punish the offenders, not the faithful to the rules of pic posting. Like Charlton Heston said when he saw the Statue of Liberty... Go* damn them to hell.

Re the retiring the various drinking vessels for reviews, I can understand that.

FBarber likes this.
  17. beersampler6

beersampler6 Poo-Bah (1,709) Apr 4, 2018 Michigan
    Society Trader

I agree it'd be nice if we got credit for the previous photos that we posted - but I understand, it'd be hard to individually go through all submitted photos and figure out which ones were legit and which weren't.

18. Todd

Todd Founder (5,962) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.