Beer leaking from top of coupler

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by Twerner, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Twerner

Twerner Initiate (0) Sep 12, 2017 Washington

I just set up an EdgeStar dual tap kegerator and beer is leaking out of the top of the coupler. I put the rubber washer in there then hand tightened the wing nut as much as possible. Any ideas?

2. DougC123

DougC123 Disciple (312) Aug 21, 2012 Connecticut

Are you tightening the wing nut with the coupler handle in the up or down position? Sometimes the wing nut can hit the handle if it is in the up position and you need to have it down and engaged to fully tighten it. If you are sure it is as tight as you can get it, are you sure it is leaking between the washer and nut, and not from where the beer line is attached (crimped or worm clamped) to the tail piece?

3. billandsuz

billandsuz Disciple (362) Sep 1, 2004 New York

It's not tight enough.

In order from bottom to top, coupler, then washer, then tailpiece. The thing came pre-assembled so you shouldn't have a hard time getting the order correct. Just be sure the rubber washer goes against the coupler. Only 1 washer.

Hand tight is usually sufficient but I don't know how strong your hands are. There is a very good chance the coupler is inferior. It don't fit. It don't work right. It's a cheap POS. It won't ever work right and it needs to be replaced. If you are lucky that is the only new item that needs replacing.

You may also have a bad washer which does happen. Luckily you can use the extras Edgestar supplied, they are only $0.05 wholesale.

Cheers.

4. Twerner

Thanks for the suggestions. Here are the parts before assembly...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And here's the leak...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I did lower the tap before tightening. I would say I tightened it pretty good then had to tighten even more to stop the leak. It started again yesterday (even slower leak) so I used a vise grip to wrench the wing nut on even tighter. I would think wing nut implies just hand tightening. I'll shop for a replacement rubber washer, maybe a bigger one to see if it does the job? EdgeStar documentation was wrong and outdated, shows different color washer. Maybe they shipped the wrong ones.

#4 Twerner, Sep 12, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  5. Twerner

Images not coming through for some reason. You have to right-click and View.

6. DougC123

You can't directly add pictures. You need to put them on a server like photobucket and post the URL for them.

7. Twerner

8. DougC123

I've never seen that washer in clear, maybe Bill has. The ones I've seen and used are hard black rubber. I'd replace it.

9. billandsuz

Yeah, the washer you need is standard and black rubber. That's the thing with these Edgestar and other made in China POS new to the market. Really substandard parts, some of them don't fit, at all. It's a real problem and you are not alone.

You need this
    [​IMG]
    If you have a friend in the business, a local bar, ask nicely and they might spare one.

I am also concerned about that elbow tail piece. That is exactly the sort of substandard equipment that is making its way into the market. A simple product but if it is not made precisely it won't fit well with the other parts. My company once bought that exact coupler from our wholesaler because it was so cheap we actually wanted to see it in person. It is a Perlick knock off, if that's the one I think it is. And it actually did not fit into the Sanke properly, the milling is so damn cheap it didn't fit. Add the spray coat chrome(?). No savings, just a waste of time and money. And the wholesaler doesn't sell that anymore so there you go.

Do yourself a favor. Spend $25 on a Sanke D Coupler, get one from Krome or Micromatic or Perlick, Chrome plating is fine for this system. The coupler you have is not serviceable. I'm serious.
    Cheers.
    Cheers.

johnleprechaun7 likes this.
  10. DougC123

If you fall down getting a free or local washer, Amazon Prime will get you a pack in 2 days. Search beer washer.

11. Twerner

Thank you both. I've ordered a replacement standard washer on Amazon like your picture shows.

12. Braunski69

Braunski69 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2018

I'm having literally the exact same problem as you, with literally the exact same product. Wondering if buying a replacement standard washer rectified your issue??? Thanks in advance, very frustrating!

13. Sandysehil

Sandysehil Initiate (0) Apr 10, 2018

Change the washer as it is the best option.

14. matthew608b

matthew608b Initiate (0) Jul 18, 2010 Colorado

Having exactly the same problem, hand tighten, wrench tighten, coupler up or down, still leaks out the top

15. IceAce

IceAce Champion (897) Jan 8, 2004 California

Silly question, but do you have the appropriate washer installed?

Leaks at this point of the system are pretty rare.

16. merliton

merliton Initiate (0) May 26, 2018 Texas

Same thing here just 30 mins ago. Beer leaked out the top. When I released the wing nut I found the clear "washer" had smashed itself inside the coupler. It's supposed to stay between the top of the threads and the elbow, right? Not go inside?

17. IceAce

See Bill’s post #9 above.

The washer should be a standard black beer washer, not a clear Chinese copy of a beer washer which is much too pliable.

You can order them (get several) from Beverage Factory or Webstautant.com. Shipping is going to cost more than the washers, so throw in a nice Micromatic coupler as well.

18. DougC123

Clear washer? You don’t have the duckbill looking one on the beer side do you? Beer washers are usually black and relatively hard plastic. They are not supposed to fall inside the coupler. The connection works if everything is correct with firm hand tightening of the wing nut, it doesn’t have to be gorilla tight.

19. merliton

Thanks for the help. Heading to a homebrew store once they open this morning. It's not impossible that I'm using the wrong piece. I had the coupler in my wife's purse and the black cover came off in the purse. I found the clear washer at the bottom of her purse. I thought it was odd, but it fits properly in that it's circumference sits atop the coupler and not in it (until I tighten the wingnut a bunch). To your point, I did go gorilla tight since I was afraid of spewing beer if it wasn't tight enough. Then it collapsed inside the coupler and I found this forum where 2-3 other folks have received the same clear washer. So I'm fairly certain it's the one EdgeStar provided.

That said, I can't find a black neoprene one so I'm going to get one here shortly.

20. merliton

Yep. That did the trick. The black neoprene washer is a little bit thicker and more rigid than the clear one. No leaks, wonderful pour. It's just a shame it's too early to drink it :slight_frown:

21. IceAce

Congrats on the easy fix.

And, as we say in the business,”You can’t drink all day if you don’t start in the morning”

22. DWBurns

DWBurns Initiate (0) Jun 23, 2018

I just had the same problem-- crappy white plastic washer. Ended up having to get two neoprene washers for the coupling: leaking is 98% reduced, but can't seem to stop the 2% (bubbling at top of coupler)

23. billandsuz

You really must use a specific washer. Refer to the picture in the thread. It is the only proper washer. You need just one. Any other fix is not going to work properly.

Bubbles coming out of the top of the coupler? In the beer line? That is gas in the beer coming out of solution. The temp is not cold enough for the applied pressure. Or the applied pressure is too low and doesn't match the packaged vols in the keg.

Most likely both.

38 degrees F. 36 even. 10 or 11 psi, or so, depending on the keg. NOT 40 or 42. NOT 8 or 13 psi.
    Cheers.

24. johnleprechaun7

johnleprechaun7 Initiate (0) Jul 3, 2018

I bought a Edgestar last week and spent the whole weekend trying to stop the leakage at the top of the coupling. I was going to return the kegerator, but the black ring did it and I'm not enjoying my beer. Thank you guys!