Beer meets chocolate in new Yuengling and Hershey's rich, chocolatey porter

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (5,979) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

Hershey's ventures into its first licensed beer partnership...
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...d-tasty-recipe-yuengling-hersheys/3789317002/

2. officerbill

officerbill Disciple (347) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society

Sounds like the perfect partnership. Yuengling and Hershey are only a couple of hours apart and have been making tasty, popular, and iconic products for well over 100 years. I probably won't see it on tap, but I will pick up a 6 when it hits the shelves.

ericwo, VoxRationis, JLaw55 and 6 others like this.
  3. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,487) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Sounds like the perfect partnership. Beer and chocolate always pair very well.

4. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (6,265) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

I think the term "tasty" is relative. I'd go with "serviceable" for both. Yungling Porter and Hersheys Chocolate are cheap and decent, but you can get way better chocolate and porter beer if you're willing to spend a few bucks more.

5. Peach63

Peach63 Aspirant (204) Jul 17, 2019 New York
    Society

Whoa! That's one I'm going to try. They already make a fairly decent porter.

VoxRationis, JA_26, dcotom and 3 others like this.
  6. Scope4Beer

Scope4Beer Devotee (422) Sep 28, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

While I'm not overly excited by this, I'll give it a shot. I'm puzzled as to the partnership with Yuengling though. Troegs is literally just down the road from the factory. I would think that would be a better product/pairing. Maybe it comes down to size and distribution?

JohnnyHopps, JayORear and Kadonny like this.
  7. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (2,715) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

I would be disappointed if Troegs used Hershey's "chocolate".

8. stevepat

stevepat Crusader (766) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

as noted above, I think a brewery like Troegs has a little higher standards on their ingredients than hershey's chocolate. And probably also doesn't want their brand associated with cheap, mass produced, consumables. yuengling seems like the perfect fit, serviceable, affordable, consistent, approachable, all things you could say about hershey's

9. EmperorBatman

EmperorBatman Initiate (74) Mar 16, 2018 District of Columbia

Ew, Hershey’s is the worst chocolate in the world - far too sugary and sweet. Might be interested though, only if it means I can try their Porter in some form.

10. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (2,691) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Poll: Which is worse...

(A) Yuengling are union-busters and back anti-worker legislative campaigns

(B) Hershey’s chocolate is picked by child slaves

(C) Yuengling and Hershey’s taste OK at best

11. errantnight

errantnight Meyvn (1,208) Jul 7, 2005 District of Columbia
    Society Trader

stevepat likes this.
  12. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (4,006) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

In the brewing. Guess you missed that in the article.

officerbill likes this.
  13. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,065) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey

Where are these chocolate-bar trees you speak of?!

CaptainHate, Budlum and officerbill like this.
  14. Kadonny

Kadonny Meyvn (1,359) Sep 5, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Then don't drink it. Reality is both have longstanding roots in mid to upstate Pennsylvania and both have pretty successful businesses that I am sure have done a lot of good for the state.

jvgoor3786, Peach63, ericwo and 10 others like this.
  15. officerbill

Society

I should have qualified with “at a popular price point”

JayORear likes this.
  16. officerbill

Society

Use it to make a float with Yeungling Black & Tan ice cream
    [​IMG]

17. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,872) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

18. thebeers

Society Trader

19. DISKORD

DISKORD Disciple (344) Feb 28, 2017 North Carolina

Every time a mediocre brewery partners with another mediocre company, I avoid it. There are way too many awesome choices these days. No need to waste your money and liver on something that'll taste "okay" at best.

20. drtth

So you cut them no slack for having taken on an almost insoluble problem in the first place and for the fact that roughly 80% of what Hershey currently buys is from one or more of the three organizations that provide certification that child labor is not involved? Or that they are approaching their goal of buying 100% certified product by the end of 2020?

#20 drtth, Oct 1, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    VoxRationis and officerbill like this.
  21. errantnight

Society Trader

Guess you missed the sarcasm in that response.

tzieser likes this.
  22. drtth

Sarcasm? What clue did you provide? No twinkle in the eye visible online., etc., etc.

23. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,065) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey

24. thebeers

Society Trader

IMO, they’re cut too much slack. The problem is not in the least bit “insoluble” unless the company insists on only paying slave-market rates to its suppliers. You and I can purchase chocolate that doesn’t involve slave or child labor pretty much any time we want by just paying a little extra. I believe Hershey has the capacity to do the same. It’s apparently just not very high on their priority list — especially if they can get away with “incremental improvements” over a period of decades without the company being dissolved and its executives going to prison.

brandnewcardock and stevepat like this.
  25. errantnight

Society Trader

...I made a statement about Hershey’s, which is known for precisely one thing, chocolate, but also widely criticized for making bad/not chocolate (since milk chocolate contains so little actually chocolate), and asked where the chocolate was. I’m not saying it was a good joke, it was in fact a kinda lame “dad joke,” but you have to be in the intensely literal camp to have taken that comment seriously, and while I might be willing to embarrass myself with lame dad jokes online, I’m not quite willing to condescend with winky smiley faces and sarcasm tags online.

stevepat likes this.
  26. drtth

If you think Hershey's is known for only one thing you have pretty limited knowledge of Hershey's range and extent of business operations, the variety and number of their products, and the extent of their worldwide sales. Also, the milk chocolate you seem not to care for wouldn't be used in the brewing process anyway. So yes, bad joke but not a "dad" joke. :slight_smile:

VoxRationis, officerbill and FBarber like this.
  27. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,561) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

This thread is just about to max out on the self-righteous snob meter.

28. errantnight

Society Trader

I’m sorry that I gave you even the slightest impression I was interested in having a conversation about this topic. Nothing could be further from the truth.

29. officerbill

Society

Sorry, but I don't know a single kid who prefers 85% cocoa to a Hershey bar.
    For many people, especially children, chocolate is a treat so Hershey tries to keep their prices down so kids don't get stuck with nothing but cheap & nasty Chinese imports. Hershey's goal was to create a smooth, shelf stable, affordable chocolate bar.
    Milk chocolate is the best selling chocolate in the world and the Hershey bar is the best selling chocolate bar in the world, do they must be doing something right.

Kick the Hershey kids out of their home & school while you're at it.
    No kisses for you this Christmas. :angry:

30. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,850) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Of course, change that statement around a bit to a more on-topic product and one gets:

Milk chocolate Light lager is the best selling chocolate beer in the world and the Hershey bar Bud Light is the best selling chocolate bar beer in the US, so they must be doing something right.

Yet, here in the BA forums, one still finds contrary opinions...:grin:

31. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (6,265) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

The Milton Hershey school hasn't gone without controversy either....
    https://www.inquirer.com/news/inq/m...-lack-charity-isnt-candy-coated-20161117.html
    https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/31/...hreats-of-a-suicide-parachute-at-hershey.html

As for the beer, this article still reads like a company press release, but has a touch more info - that the beer will be released in October 2019
    https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...eys-chocolate-porter-to-launch-300928752.html

I am dubious of this quote:
    I wonder whether they really brewed with finished "chocolate" vs. cocoa which would make a whole lot more sense.

The chocolate itself would have problematic fat/oil in it. Although I guess if breweries can successfully release beers that were brewed with doughnuts, bacon/scrapple/pork roll, etc. I guess it's an issue that can be worked out.

Another article I found had this quote:

32. riegler

riegler Initiate (88) Apr 30, 2015 Iowa

Damn, ChocolateAdvocate on this thread :grin:

Reeses are the bomb!

33. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,850) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

The USA TODAY article in the OP says the new beer is:

34. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,872) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

So I somehow missed this when I initially read the press release, but this beer is draft only.

VoxRationis, Jaycase and PapaGoose03 like this.
  35. thebeers

Society Trader

Me neither. Just to be clear, the ingredients picked by non-slave labor can be blended into either dark chocolate or milk chocolate. Milk chocolate is not dependent on slavery.

I’ve got to imagine that the labor costs in one of the ingredients in a pack of Hershey Kisses is a small percentage of what consumers end up paying (compared to, say, the retailer cut, transportation, packaging, marketing, etc.). So I don’t really buy the idea that you can’t produce affordable chocolate (for use in beer or otherwise) without slaves and child labor. Even if it were a requirement though, you still wouldn’t find me taking the pro-slavery side of the debate. I’m mildly surprised this is even controversial.

36. Brewday

Brewday Initiate (136) Dec 25, 2015 New York

I was thinking of using them for my next degenerate home brew. BTW you're probably better off buying a porter and adding Cholaca.

riegler likes this.
  37. errantnight

Society Trader

Your logical fallacies are:
    argument from personal incredulity (allow me to introduce my children to you...)
    strawman (I didn't talk about kids, affordability, or success)
    appeal to success (that milk chocolate is popular doesn't make it chocolate)

I wouldn't have believed Getting Earnestly Mad Online Defending Hershey's is a thing I'd ever have experienced in my lifetime. Really an exciting day.

DIM likes this.
  38. errantnight

Society Trader

It's almost like...it was a snarky, dubiously funny joke that I tossed off and not some kind of serious attempt to engage in a debate over the chocolate-ness of Hershey's milk chocolate!

39. officerbill

Society

For anyone planning to shun this beer due to opinions about the business ethics of these two companies and perceived quality of their products; that's your perogative.

I've been reminded that this is a beer forum, not Twitter or Facebook, so I'll simply wait and judge the beer on the same merits I judge each beer drink.:beers:

#39 officerbill, Oct 2, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    jgido759, dcotom, JLaw55 and 8 others like this.
  40. oldbean

oldbean Disciple (343) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

What I want to know is how people who can't swing $3 for a decent chocolate bar ended up on a craft beer forum.

RKP1967 and errantnight like this.