Beer Mistakes

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by puboflyons, Aug 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. officerbill

officerbill Savant (968) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

I've dumped 3 or 4 singles and a couple of 4 & 6 packs, all before I began to consistently check dates. These were beers way past any best by and just not palatable.
    However; I haven't dumped any just because it turned out I didn't like that particular beer. I'm too damned cheap to pour out a beer just because it wasn't what I expected :wink:.

2. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,614) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Time to find new friends!?!:flushed:

Cheers!

3. NYR-Zuuuuc

NYR-Zuuuuc Devotee (400) Jan 1, 2013 Connecticut

I give them to my Dad. He is in his 80's and will drink anything. He is always very happy when I bring him a mix and match variety from time to time. He enjoys trying anything new.

4. Chipotle

Chipotle Aspirant (204) Apr 23, 2017 New York

Depending on the style it might be ok blended with another beer.

Of course you run the risk of doubling the drain pour.

5. Insomniac

Insomniac Disciple (332) Nov 5, 2019 Canada (ON)
    Deactivated

There are a lot of problems in the Ontario market, but, thankfully, once plus is that when I walk into the LCBO about 95% of the beers are available as singles. Unless I have a history of confidence with the brewery, anything new is purchased as a single whenever possible. If I like it, I buy more. If not, it’s one and done.

6. oldmankoch

oldmankoch Devotee (473) Jan 1, 2014 Tennessee

Most of my drain-pours have resulted from stupid me forgetting to check the canning date...esp when it came to purchasing any form of IPA. Can't say I remember ever drain pouring any other style. I usually do my research before hitting a store and don't often ever buy on a whim from an unknown brewery.

7. NYRunner

NYRunner Initiate (84) Nov 5, 2018 New York

I guess I can count my drain pours on the fingers of one hand, but if it doesn't taste right I don't eat or drink it. Life's too short to drink bad beer.

puboflyons and Blogjackets like this.
  8. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Devotee (402) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Deactivated

I quit reading the book but keep it around, anyway (sometimes even going back; mixed results)

Blogjackets and Chipotle like this.
  9. ManforallSaisons

ManforallSaisons Devotee (427) Mar 20, 2008 Belgium

Gawd I hope someone will bring me beer in my 80s, if I make it that far.

10. AlmostDeadly777

AlmostDeadly777 Initiate (67) Apr 29, 2018 California
    Trader

I usually suck it up and own my mistake for any 4 or 6 pack I buy that I end up not liking. Those become "getting buzzed beers" rather than "enjoyable" beers. However, 22 oz bombers are another story.

I once made the mistake of buying a 22 oz Indra Kunindra from Ballast Point. I'd had a taster of it at the brewery and liked it enough in a 4 oz sample. But with the bomber, I got to about the halfway point and started getting heartburn from the kaffir lime/spices and just couldn't do it anymore.

Similarly, I also drain-poured a Bruery Melange #11 because I didn't realize Anise was a major component of black licorice which I hate. Again, I got halfway through the bottle trying to let it warm up (and hopefully taste better) but it just became more like liquid black licorice the more it warmed.

11. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (9,921) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Seriously now, how are we 51 posts deep into a "beer mistakes" thread and, well, no one has mentioned waking up next to a "Beer Mistake"?

Y'all a bunch of monks or something ? Cuz, I know I've made plenty of those beer mistakes.

12. Marksniat

Marksniat Initiate (21) Jul 26, 2020 Vermont

No beer can be that bad. Just drink them or use them to cook.

13. dapatriot1

dapatriot1 Initiate (0) Jul 7, 2020 New York

I try to drink them. I will atleast drink the full bottle ...If i cant sometimes i tell my friends about them I know my taste for beers are different then my friends and they come over and try them sometimes they love it and they score a few free bottles to bring home .sometimes i just wait until my 24 year old son has his friends over and i pawn it on to them (hey they love free beer)
    I would never dump it down the drain

14. BruChef

BruChef Initiate (188) Nov 8, 2009 New York

Make some brownies or cake with it. Even if you use instant cake/brownie mix, just cook down the beer to the amount of water requested in the recipe.

15. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,628) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Social distancing? :wink:

16. Chipotle

Chipotle Aspirant (204) Apr 23, 2017 New York

My "beer mistake" in that context was like 50 years ago. With the passage of time and my current age I no longer consider that one night stand a mistake. Actually it's somehow become a fond memory.

17. Providence

Providence Champion (814) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Trader

That’s sounds like a great idea. Have you done it before?

Thanks!

18. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,628) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Define 'it' or I'll assume 'one night stand' like in the post above. :wink:

19. Celtics76

Celtics76 Crusader (785) Sep 5, 2011 Rhode Island

Drink and dump method for me. I'll drink maybe half the can, dump the rest. That way it doesn't feel like I wasted my money as much. And I can move on to something I like quickly.

..Or use for cooking. Depends on the beer though.

puboflyons likes this.
  20. hojo813

hojo813 Initiate (41) Aug 3, 2018 Virginia

The worst beer I have ever had was Sam Adams campfire. I think that's what it was called. That was about a decade ago. It tastes like burning wood that has been put out. In hindsight, it was more than likely a rauchbier. Worst thing I have ever had commercially. I was at a small brewery in PA that used ring bologna. 'Nuff said...

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  21. Grounder

Grounder Initiate (128) Jun 20, 2019 Illinois

I do not buy beer if I don't understand what I am getting. Also, whenever possible I get a single first. But if I can't finish a glass, I do not force it down my throat.

22. bret27

bret27 Poo-Bah (1,997) Mar 10, 2009 California
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

23. Insomniac

Insomniac Disciple (332) Nov 5, 2019 Canada (ON)
    Deactivated

To expand on my first post, I have probably drain poured four beers in the last twenty years. One was excruciatingly bad and the other three suffered from production control issues. They were all the same beer and same batch. I took pics of the beers, emailed the brewery with pics and they made it right with new product.

beergoot likes this.
  24. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (8,679) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

Yes. We all have an inner Bukowski to fuel...driven down that freeway many a time (in my wayward youth and indiscriminate curmudgeon days)...

25. puboflyons

puboflyons Poo-Bah (6,390) Jul 26, 2008 New Hampshire
    Society

Well, I do appreciate the grammar lesson

26. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (8,679) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

A fine analogy...

27. HopsDubosc

HopsDubosc Initiate (177) Apr 24, 2015 Vermont

pre-COVID, I'd just leave them in a fridge a work... someone would invariably drink on beer Friday. Haven't had a 'mistake' beer in the 5 months I've been wfh. Hoping to keep that dream alive.

28. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,460) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

Give 1 away to a friend who hasn’t had it before and likes to tick beers. Just warn him in advance that you didn’t care for it too much just as a disclaimer and you don’t mind if he doesn’t like it and would rather dump it that it wouldn’t bother you one bit.

29. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Poo-Bah (2,835) Jun 15, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

Because of the pandemic, I got a five month old six pack of jai alai on curbside pick up. I couldn’t bring myself to drink it after the first or second can. But I did find it was an excellent base for cooking chicken in a slow cooker. Two steps: add chicken and add beer. It made for excellent chicken tacos.

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  30. Raime

Raime Meyvn (1,325) Jun 4, 2012 Korea (North)

If it's really that bad I have a next door neighbor who will drink just about anything so that's where it would end up.

If it's just meh and I spent too much money on it, I'll finish it off.

31. dbl_delta

dbl_delta Poo-Bah (3,675) Sep 22, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Life is too short to drink bad beer.
    I have a "rejects" shelf in the beer fridge. My daughter's boyfriend cleans it out occasionally - I guess he drinks it. It's kind of like an ambulatory drain pour.

32. nomisugitai

nomisugitai Devotee (435) Mar 11, 2006 New Jersey
    Society

I have 2 bottles that have been sitting on top of my beer fridge for a long time. This thread made me check them. One is a Smore flavored beer that is probably 2 years old. That one might be aged for 10 years before I'm drunk enough to drink it. The other is a cider that I was saving for my wife, I will put that in the fridge and drink it.
    I avoided a horrible beer mistake twice last year at Mets baseball games. The beer stand near our seats had Mikkeler cans from the brewery that is attached to the stadium. Two times I had to scream NO, NO, NO and nearly jump over the counter because the vendor was ready to open a Michelob Ultra instead of a Mikkeler. I miss going to baseball games now.

#72 nomisugitai, Aug 14, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    BBThunderbolt and PapaGoose03 like this.
  33. Giantspace

Giantspace Savant (982) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Very few beers have I dumped, I have given some away or left them at a party. Seeet baby Jesus, two dip drain pour. Cave creek chili beer I tried but dumped half. Habanero sculpin, it was so hot I had to pour it after a few sips. I still have a bottle or two aging for many years now.

I still have a few bottles of spiced winter beers I can’t drink. They just age and age. Maybe one day they will age the spice away.

Most beer I will drink and maybe not love it. I have no issue dumping a mess of a beer but there are not that many I have tried.

Enjoy

Chipotle likes this.
  34. CDBeerDisappear

CDBeerDisappear Meyvn (1,005) Dec 28, 2005 Ohio

Smoking weed brings out some new flavors. If pot smokers can eat a Cheetos and jelly sandwich then I think no beer is off limits for indulgent consumption.

35. johnInLA

johnInLA Savant (980) Jun 12, 2005 California
    Society Trader

It depends on why I don't like it. If its gone bad, as in, infected, oxidized, or degraded due to age to the point of being unpalatable, then I dump.

If it just a 3.0 beer ( solidly good ) then I'll drink it, at some point, as a second or third beer, when my palate is no longer fresh.

Generally speaking I avoid 6 packs and minimize 4 packs to limit this situation.

Chipotle likes this.
  36. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,283) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Beer mistake may be too tough a term. Maybe Beer 401

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  37. Mindcrime1000

Mindcrime1000 Poo-Bah (1,611) Apr 30, 2016 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Like many here, there are not that many brews I've had over the years that were straight-up drain-pours. If I get a 4 or 6 of something and it seems mediocre at first taste, I might put it aside for a week or two and then give it another run under different circumstances, e.g., not with a meal if I had it with a meal the first time, or as a finisher instead of an opener, just to see if my taste-buds were influenced by something else. I can think of multiple IPA's that I didn't care for the first time around that I warmed up to later.

38. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 Poo-Bah (2,613) May 14, 2014 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

Ive had so few drainpours I can barely remember what they were. I expect the last one was a beer that was almost 1 1/2 years past its canning date. Totally my fault. One of the reasons I like NBS or now NBW is being able to sit and really analyze a beer. Theres been more than a few times where my first impression was meh but I have it again and I may change my thoughts- whether it be something I ate palate fatigue etc. One thing I will not do is cook with a beer I dont like. Just like I wouldnt use a wine I dont like. I will occasionally drink a beer with the food I used it to cook with so I dont want that to be a beer to be terrible.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.