Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Beer & Pizza: What's your favorite?

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by BladeRunner, Nov 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulys55

paulys55 Aug 2, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

If you are ever sitting at home thinking, "What is the best beer to drink with [insert anything]?"...the answer is always GUEUZE!!
  2. LilBilly666

LilBilly666 Jul 24, 2012 Georgia

I usually like either an IPA or a nice Pale Ale.
  3. tviz33

tviz33 Jul 25, 2012 New York
    Beer Trader

No particular beer, but an IPA is definitely the style I'd go with. Something about the sauce just seems perfect and so complimentary to the hops.
    Fluffinator likes this.
  4. ColonelCash

ColonelCash Jul 6, 2011 Tennessee

bifrost17 likes this.
  5. deadonhisfeet

deadonhisfeet Apr 23, 2011 Kentucky

Favorite beer with pizza? Great Lakes Eliot Ness.
    Ozzylizard likes this.
  6. PaulQuinn

PaulQuinn May 27, 2011 British Columbia (Canada)

7. mychalg9

mychalg9 Apr 8, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I had an Alaskan Stout with my Tombstone Supreme pizza last night and it was pretty dang good. Both tasted better. Im not really a fan of IPA's or Pale Ale's with food so I usually stay away from those when eating.
  8. MileHighShooter

MileHighShooter Nov 23, 2010 Colorado

Standard pie? Pils/Pale/IPA work best for me. Now some of the more gourmet type pizzas...depends on the topping. If I can, I like JP beers with stuff like feta, spinach or gorgonzola on the pizza. A little bit of funk goes nicely with non-typical flavors.
  9. mltobin

mltobin Apr 1, 2007 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Most often, it will be an easily accessible IPA like Sea Hag. It could also be an old standby such as Brooklyn Lager. Pizza is not a food that I am going to linger over for a long time while eating. So, I find these beers, both in terms of flavor and not super-high ABVs make sense for the pairing.
  10. uawildcat

uawildcat Aug 12, 2011 Nebraska

Best pairing with any pizza would be a Nitro Left Hand Milk Stout hands down. There is no beating the flavor combination, period.
  11. Hoptometrist

Hoptometrist Mar 19, 2011 Ohio

Prima Pils!
    BeerKangaroo likes this.
  12. cruzmissile72

cruzmissile72 Jul 26, 2012 Connecticut

Pizza without beer is a waste of a good pie.

IPA, lagers, pale ales go great.
  13. StoutChaser7D

StoutChaser7D Nov 16, 2012 California

Hard to beat SN Celebration. Out of Cele season probably SNPA or Mirrior Pond.
    cruzmissile72 likes this.
  14. MammothBrew

MammothBrew May 13, 2011 Illinois

I agree with most here. IPA or lager. I don't typically buy lagers but if I have some in my fridge I save it for pizza or some sort of fried food.
  15. seplo

seplo Sep 8, 2009 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

How about a hoppy pale ale or a Flower Power....CHEERS
  16. diamondc

diamondc May 30, 2006 Texas

Mine is Arrogant Bastard. Although almost any mildly assertive hoppy beer will do :cool:
  17. 311kevin

311kevin Dec 13, 2011 New Jersey

Pizza goes with any style. Seriously, try them all. They all work. When I'm eating pizza, I reach for whatever kind of beer I'm in the mood for.
    bpgpitt10 likes this.
  18. BlowstotheBody

BlowstotheBody Oct 22, 2012 Florida

Highland Gaelic Ale. I tend to agree with whoever posted before saying reds/ambers are the way to go.
  19. gibby

gibby Jul 25, 2008 Pennsylvania

2 hearted, racer 5 or flower power b/c I usually have some sort of hot sauce on the place to dip the pizza into.
  20. pjbear05

pjbear05 May 28, 2008 Florida

I make a lot of scratch pizza at home, Detroit Style mainly, and I load 'em up, so with all that I keep it clean and simple, usually a session lager or pils.
  21. cruzmissile72

cruzmissile72 Jul 26, 2012 Connecticut

What's a Detroit style pizza?
  22. Andygirl

Andygirl Jan 3, 2013 Michigan

Excellent question. I am in the same county as Detroit and am totaly baffled.
  23. Hockey_Fan

Hockey_Fan Jan 13, 2013 Maryland

I was curious so I looked it up.

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  24. Andygirl

Andygirl Jan 3, 2013 Michigan

All this time I just thought you could get round or square. Guess it was more complicated than that.

On topic, I like Sucks with pizza.
  25. JohnQVD

JohnQVD Jan 23, 2011 New York

Usually some sort of pale ale, or maybe a Belgian style or IPA. Whomever said Rare Vos was spot on.

However, I quite like a nice Spanish or Italian red, though, too, or maybe a South American Carmenere or a California Zinfandel. My former boss says that's wrong. He's Italian and says beer goes with pizza, but he drinks Heineken, so AFAIC he's wrong.
  26. Mohican88

Mohican88 Jan 20, 2010 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Pales and Pilsners always go well with pizza, and I've always had a fondness for Schwarzbiers. While in college I made plenty of pizza and really enjoyed Magic Hat Howl or Saranac Black Forest with it.
  27. Hockey_Fan

Hockey_Fan Jan 13, 2013 Maryland

That would probably be my first choice. Amber Lagers go great with pizza, as do Amber Ales.
  28. diesel59

diesel59 Jan 3, 2012 New York

29. pjbear05

pjbear05 May 28, 2008 Florida

It may be "parts pans", but they are basically a black steel pan that has been seasoned (coated with cooking oil and baked.) Detroit style is synonymous with two bars on Detroit's east side in the forefront of it all, Buddy's Pizza and Shields Pizza.

In a true Detroit style, the bottom and sides of the pan are oiled, or better yet buttered, and the dough is put in. The pan then goes into a "proof box" and the dough is allowed to rise. Pizza is then put together- toppings, Wisconsin Brick Cheese to the edges of the pan( the idea is Brick holds up to the heat better than Mozzarella) and red sauce last before being baked. The pizza bakes up with a crust that is crunchy on the bottom, but beady like in the middle, with a brown rim of crisped cheese.

Most people aren't neutral about Detroit style, either they love them or hate them. I love 'em, and will probably put one together for the game Sunday.
  30. masshlx

masshlx Sep 24, 2003 Massachusetts

Haven't had pizza out of my house in a while, homemade dough, fresh diced tomatoes and mozzarella, touch of basil and olive oil with a Berkley IPA.
  31. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Jul 12, 2012 California

had a Tank 7 yesterday with some nice pizza for lunch and it was pretty great.
    BeerKangaroo and Rekrule like this.
  32. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Feb 12, 2012 Georgia
    Moderator Subscriber Beer Trader

I made a home made pizza on my BGE the other week.. Smoked BBQ chicken with onions and cilantro, and paired it with a Hopslam, and a Heady Topper, and I'll say that was one of the better beer/pizza dinners I've had.
  33. LambicKing

LambicKing Apr 13, 2011 Germany

I could go with the usual pils or pale ale, but I actually prefer saisons. Crisp, dry, earthy, raw. The spice pairs really well with the sauce. The funk pairs really well with the slight earthiness of the cheese and the crust if made with wheat or something other than white flour.
  34. wiscotim

wiscotim Jun 13, 2013 Wisconsin

What is your favorite beer to pair with za?
  35. HeelsandEers

HeelsandEers Jun 8, 2013 West Virginia

36. evilcatfish

evilcatfish May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Beer Trader

I actually thought this stuff was ok
    HeelsandEers likes this.
  37. HeelsandEers

HeelsandEers Jun 8, 2013 West Virginia

I think you're alone on that one :D
  38. Bosoxfan20

Bosoxfan20 Feb 6, 2013 Missouri
    Beer Trader

I like my pizza's spicy, so I prefer an IPA...the bitterness does a fantastic job of cutting through the spice. A farmhouse ale with a lighter, thin crust basil pizza. Roasty porter like Cutthroat or Black Butte with a meatlovers type of pizza. But you can't really go wrong tho...pizza + beer = heaven
  39. sajaffe1

sajaffe1 Feb 16, 2013 Utah

Yuengling no doubt
    BeerKangaroo likes this.
  40. HarryPotHead

HarryPotHead Aug 21, 2012 Maryland

PBR....something about pizza and drinking cheap adjunct lagers! [ii]D
    Ozzylizard likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!