Beer Pricing - A Moral Responsibility?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MisterBisco, Apr 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rozzom

rozzom Meyvn (1,057) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

Lol what? Way to make us all sound like a bunch of dickheads

rightcoast7 and zid like this.
  2. JimmyGuy

JimmyGuy Initiate (0) Nov 17, 2014 New York

Born and raised in NYC and still live here. Been to hundreds of bodegas in all 5 boros. Most bodegas aren't like your local whole foods or trader joes. Most don't have anything digital, prices vary depending on who is working, cats roam the store, the cashier is asleep until you wake him, there is an inch of dust on the ritz crackers that have been on the shelf for a decade..... many/most of them are not visibily well run operations.

Does that help?

3. Givemebeer

Givemebeer Zealot (543) Apr 6, 2013 Vermont

I'd pass it up - bc its KBS

2ellas, Soloveitchik and breadwinner like this.
  4. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,756) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Beer makes me tired too, but if the yawn was out of boredom, I can't say I sympathize.

5. Uniobrew31

Uniobrew31 Devotee (483) Jan 16, 2012 Pennsylvania

Maybe "beer karma" was being favorable to you!

6. chcfan

chcfan Zealot (563) Oct 29, 2008 California

Sorry, I should clarify: in SF corner stores, which are almost identical to NYC bodegas (I used to live on the east coast and visited NY many times), they only have the standard beers (IPA, Steam...) from those breweries. While they're all good breweries, it would be nice to see something different at these stores. They're typically priced on the high side, so I guess it doesn't make sense to buy beer from them anyway.

7. JimmyGuy

I'm a native NY'er with almost 40 years here. I don't have a lot of tolerance for people who've visited a few times saying their limited experience is representative of this gigantic and awesome city.

8. soughtbygod

soughtbygod Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2011 California

I have an even better situation then the OP, Firestone Parabola was released recently, and 18 bottles were released to a shop in my town, and the shop posted the price at $11 a bottle, now on good authority I have knowledge that the store only paid $9 a bottle so its there preference to mark up as they wish, but what cracks me up and I do feel bad, is I heard a guy went in there on the release, and at $11 a bottle he carried all 3 cases to the register, the bar code on the box is the same as the bottle, bleep, bleep, bleep, 3 scans folks and 18 bottles of parabola walked out of the door for $33 plus tax, I am pretty sure someone got in trouble for that one....IT WAS NOT ME, I DONT KNOW WHO IT WAS,,,,,I HEARD ABOUT IT FROM ANOTHER GUY AT AN ON TAP PARABOLA RELEASE.....I would have paid $11 per bottle and bought them all but $33 for the lot, hard time getting sleep after that

9. chcfan

chcfan Zealot (563) Oct 29, 2008 California

All I said was I think it's safe to assume that most bodegas price their products according to cost. The fact that this somehow offended you or was taken as a put down of NYC, which I love, is beyond me.

10. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,268) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I like the book stores and many restaurants and have been going to New York since the 60s. I hate the noise, dislike what huge cities do to manners, and am always very happy to get home. Still, I go to New York because there really is no other place quite like it. I do prefer Paris, London, and Chicago. When I go to NY, I'm not a tourist I'm a visitor spending money.

BeerBob and TongoRad like this.
  11. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Poo-Bah (2,651) May 21, 2010 Texas
    Society

If it was my personal buddy or friend who owned the joint, I'd ask how much they were getting it for and clarify why it was at least six bucks less than I have (personally) paid for a four pack.

If I didn't know them I'd probably buy the four pack and leave the next lucky beer lover to score in a similar fashion.

If it was whole foods I would buy every last sixer (or the max allowable, then quickly call all my buddies and have them mule for me) and run out the door as fast as possible. Given all the woo and pseudo/anti-scientific nonsense they promote there, it wouldn't bother me in the least, no matter how "small" their profit margin supposedly is. I would then proceed to slowly drink my new found hoard, maybe give away a bottle here and there to a worthy friend or trade for something interesting, but I wouldn't trade it in the "trader" sense*.

*because I live in a big city now, where the giant liquor stores have many, many beers that I haven't tried, I don't trade anymore. Not that I'm against the idea or wouldn't hook a brother up now and then, or maybe trade for some new glarus Belgian red or raspberry tart or enigma/apple enigma should the opportunity arise. But until I no longer have new beers to try in my local area, there's just no need to trade. Besides that, my rate of trying new beers is a bit lower these days because there are so many locally brewed delicious beers that tend to be 1.50 or so cheeper than the rest, I'm drinking lots of local beer these days.

12. JimmyGuy

You cited personal NY bodega experience based on visiting a "number of bodegas" and your 6 pack purchase. Then you say you are surprised that they wouldn't know the wholesale cost of their items. My point is a lot of NY bodegas appear completely capable of not knowing anything about their business... or at least the guy at the counter doesn't. Your perception doesn't align to my experiences

Edited to add i'm not remotely offended

13. islay

islay Disciple (333) Jan 6, 2008 Minnesota

You certainly make it sound awesome with your vivid description of its many dirty and neglected bodegas. :slight_smile:

14. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

Sounds like the SF stores are alot more sophisticated than the NYC stores, many of which do not even have cash registers.

15. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2012 Nebraska

Oh, well an unofficial majority of commenters on a random BA thread agree. Guess the time for debate is done. Shut it down mods.

And as far as I can tell, no one is talking about putting anyone in jail or on trial for failing to exercise some common courtesy. Nice strawman.

jrnyc, gopens44, drtth and 1 other person like this.
  16. rozzom

Trader

Only been here a paltry seven years myself, but I'd say @chcfan 's anecdotal evidence was as valuable (if not more so) as the comments from the native NY'ers in both this thread and the original one, who instead assume the worst about the bodega in order to make it ok not to say something. Not saying every bodega is a shrine of good business practices, but there are both good and bad, and I prefer to give benefit of the doubt.

jrnyc likes this.
  17. JimmyGuy

Thank you - I try. My point is that this isn't as "simple" as some pretend. It's not black/white or right/wrong. People feel differently. It's not a big deal

18. JimmyGuy

My only comment is that its very possible that those businesses don't know what they are doing based on my experiences. How well or poorly a bodega is run has no bearing on whether i say anything or don't. I'm not saying anything regardless

Biff_Tannen likes this.
  19. KidIcarus1945

KidIcarus1945 Initiate (0) Mar 10, 2015 Florida

This happened to me last year. I came across some KBS, 7.99 a four pack. I asked the clerk if he was sure that was correct, he asked the manager, the manager said yep, 7.99.
    That was a good day.

MisterBisco and rightcoast7 like this.
  20. Ironstutz

Ironstutz Initiate (0) Aug 12, 2014 New York

i would buy every last bottle, right down until i had no money in my pocket. point straight blank. same as i would do in the stock market or any other market that i see mispricing. to imply that there is a better economic outcome if the retailer is the one to benefit by repricing is pure hogwash

Biff_Tannen likes this.
  21. LambicPentameter

It may not be black/white, but I think the question "If I owned that bodega, would I appreciate someone alerting my presence to a potential problem?" is a pretty simple one.

djsmith1174, jrnyc and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  22. Biff_Tannen

Biff_Tannen Initiate (0) Dec 8, 2013 Missouri

I would sleep just fine

Oh yeah, and what the hell is a bodega?

2ellas and Ironstutz like this.
  23. Ironstutz

Ironstutz Initiate (0) Aug 12, 2014 New York

The fact that this comment came from Biff Tannen is priceless! A bodega is a small corner convenience/grocery store

24. ESHBG

ESHBG Devotee (418) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

It's a bodega, so if you feel badly about getting a good deal on one product just purchase one of the many other grossly overpriced products along with it and you will balance it all out. :wink:

CHL and Biff_Tannen like this.
  25. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 Poo-Bah (2,587) May 14, 2014 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

Purchased many a sixer in Manhattan. Simple truth- Screwjob.
    And I don't feel bad about paying it. No problems, its expected. Grew up in the Tri State Area. I love NY and don't mind the noise etc. Hell you couldn't walk through the streets in the 70 s and 80 without getting " street assaulted"

#185 tasterschoice62, Apr 10, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  26. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 Poo-Bah (2,587) May 14, 2014 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

Holy Hell this thread is just brain damaging. Honestly I was up until midnight last night with some troll jousting.
    Theres no correct answer to this. Personally feel its a matter of integrity.
    A quick true story of something that happened last week and Im outta here:
    My " friend" store manager calls me on my cell and tells me I have the grapefruit Sculpin now ill save you a sixer and I say yes. I walk in he tells me 14.99. I look behind him I see a stack of CBC Flowerchild marked 11.99, im having reservations about paying that 14.99. So I tell him thanks but no thanks. Ill take the CBC. Proceed to the register and she rings it up 14.99. Well im saying should have got the Sculpin then. Tell her it says, 11.99 right behind her. Call manager. Gives 3 buck s back, used my card. manager comes over and says she took the 3 off your card (shows me receipt) says I need the three busk back..... I give him the 3 bucks. Stupid me check dates a few days later best by....Today. forced me to drink em all. not too bad. Just went back 11.99 sign still on beer. Store stuck with all that outdated beer when he just could have gotten rid of it. Point??? Integrity. Go with the heart and youll always be doing the right thing. Kabeesh? and Ciao.

27. Billydoughnuts

Billydoughnuts Aspirant (202) Feb 22, 2015 Michigan

28. nicholasofcusa

nicholasofcusa Initiate (198) Jan 14, 2006 Florida

Haha. First time I've ever seen someone use the term "sperg," and while I don't know what it means, I like it.

29. TheRealDBCooper

TheRealDBCooper Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2010 Svalbard & Jan Mayen Islands

Your problem is that you have set yourself on an answer (i.e. That the store mispriced the goods) and refuse to see any other facts or theories that may argue against it.

I personally would not make that assumption. I have lived too long and seen too many things to jump to such a conclusion. Is it one possibility? Absolutely, but I can think of at least 3 others that would give you the same price point (most have been mentioned in this thread) that are equally as likely and are intentional.

I'm glad you have your perfect world figured out, but you are the exact type of person I hate dealing with in the real world because you assume you know more than you do.

Biff_Tannen likes this.
  30. TheRealDBCooper

TheRealDBCooper Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2010 Svalbard & Jan Mayen Islands

Now THAT is an unintentional pricing screw up.

CHL likes this.
  31. rozzom

Trader

You sound so wise yoda. Living so long and seeing so much.

Fine. Maybe the beer isn't mispriced. Unlikely, but hypothetically possible. But I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt in my assumption. You're also making an assumption - that it's intentionally priced that way. Because that fits with your self-serving motives.

32. JimmyGuy

You seem like a participation trophy kind of guy

2ellas and Biff_Tannen like this.
  33. rozzom

Trader

So I guess that makes you the guy who says "winning" after picking up the $10/4-pack

jrnyc and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  34. LambicPentameter

Come on. It might be different if it was a little underpriced, but we're talking about 40% of retail price. The explanations offered here are *possible* explanations, but not likely ones. The idea that there is a distributor pricing error or that they have it "on sale" are not equally likely to it being mistakenly priced, especially if you take all the "bodegas are terribly run stores" testimony at face value.

And again, no one is suggesting that anyone demand the store sell to them at a certain price, just that it's reasonable to mention something about $10 seeming severely underpriced and leaving it at that.

jrnyc, TongoRad and rozzom like this.
  35. Biff_Tannen

Biff_Tannen Initiate (0) Dec 8, 2013 Missouri

No that's me.

breadwinner likes this.
  36. CHL

CHL Initiate (0) Mar 27, 2009 Illinois

Don't forget about the most realistic explanation I've seen on this thread:

Walk into a typical bodega, you find dust, cats, convenience store-like high prices. ...and often baby formula priced cheaper than at a suburban Wal-Mart in Kansas. http://fox43.com/2013/02/22/cops-bust-up-retail-theft-ring-at-york-city-bodega/ http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/01...formula-nabbed-following-mahwah-police-chase/

The possibility that the beer was stolen is the only moral argument I can see against buying it.

57md and LambicPentameter like this.
  37. Providence

Providence Champion (801) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Trader

Absolutely would be optimal. However it was your statement of "College should be about two hundred grand a year by the time he makes it." that I interpreted as dichotomizing the two (implying that I should save money no matter however I can, since college will be so expensive). I suppose I interpreted your comment wrong if you believe that, as I do, that both a good value system and avoidance of massive student loan debt as being able to coexist. Perhaps you could clarify what your intent and/or meaning was when you made the comment?

38. Aaron_Kerkvliet

Aaron_Kerkvliet Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2014 Wisconsin

A similar thing happened to me in Chicago. I knew this little boutique that sold zombie and some how got it in weekly with a bunch of other FFF. The guy who owned the store obviously had no idea what he was getting. And it sold very fast. He soon figured out he could charge more. Thats the free market, if its selling out fast they raise prices. (obviously different on a once a year release but next year bodega wont make the same mistake)

39. _-_-Jason-_-_

_-_-Jason-_-_ Initiate (0) Dec 18, 2014 New York

I would buy it all and not think twice about it.

After I make the purchase, I might consider asking the owner/employee if he had any more in the back somewhere, alluding to the fact that the price is VERY good.

Hopefully the owner will learn a valuable business lesson.... if not, I'll continue buying beer there.

2ellas likes this.
  40. Flashy

Flashy Zealot (592) Oct 22, 2003 Vermont

My point being that you can be both wealthy and teach your kids how to act. It doesn't have to be either or.

djsmith1174 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.