Beer Ratings You've Revisited...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by JakerLou, Jun 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JakerLou

JakerLou Savant (970) Jan 6, 2013 New Hampshire
    Premium

So this is the first thread I've started. I'm wondering if people have revisited beers they kinda didn't like on their first tasting and then really liked them the second go round.

I had a Rogue Hazelnut Brown and didn't much care for it, but the second time around I really enjoyed it. Changed my rating from a 3.5 to a 4.25.

So what beer did you really up the rating on second time around, or what beer did you sell short and really enjoy the second or third time around?

Just wondering since you folks may list some beers I should try again :slight_smile:.

Edit: I know folk's taste change over time. I was thinking of beers you just didn't appreciate first time around.

2. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,316) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

If I am drinking and near my computer with time to spare, I always update my ratings when appropriate. Sometimes the ratings go up, sometime they go down.

hoppytobehere likes this.
  3. JakerLou

Premium

Just curious, what's your biggest swing up and down? And the associated beer.

4. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,316) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

Honestly, I don't know which beer had the highest swing.

Recently, Funkwerks's Solenna (formerly known as Bastogne) is one that I initially gave a lukewarm rating to but have since drank a ton of and it gets better with each rating. Now I have it rated high and its one of my favorites from them. Not sure it is the biggest changer though.

5. JakerLou

Premium

Probably not something I can get my hands on but it sounds pretty damn good.

6. ohiobeer29

ohiobeer29 Initiate (0) Feb 2, 2013 Ohio

stone brewing espresso ris.maybe it was too fresh the first time. a week or two later i tried the second bottle and was blown away my favorite stout so far

JakerLou and alex_hart like this.
  7. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (19,408) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Premium Trader

I do re-reviews every Friday night now. I review new beer every day, but I always try and redo some of the ones I tried in 2010 and later near when I started, and my reviews were really short and poorly detailed. A lot of my re-reviews were higher for some styles like Belgians and whatnot since my palate evolved and got a huge appreciation for them. Others went down because my palate was used to having so many of that style, so the rating was still in the low 90's or lower because it did not blow me away as much as my novice palate had experienced. The more you try, the more the majority of offerings will become run of the mill. My ratings now are lower than they were in my beginnings of rating beer.

nsheehan likes this.
  8. Jwale73

Jwale73 Poo-Bah (3,683) Aug 15, 2007 Rhode Island
    Trader

I'll be revisiting Deviation. One generous BA shared a bottle when it came out and I was relatively new to sours. I knew it was good, but just didn't have the palate back then. I didn't even review it because I knew I wouldn't be able to do it justice. Well, another generous BA pulled one from his West Coast cellar the last time he was home and popped it over the weekend because he new how badly I wanted to try it again (thanks again Jonah).

JakerLou likes this.
  9. TheBrewo

TheBrewo Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2010 New York

I try to give everything my fairest assessment on the first go. That said, if I find something unexpectedly terrible, I will often try to get a fresh bottle/bottle from a different batch, and reassess.

utopiajane likes this.
  10. fredmugs

fredmugs Meyvn (1,497) Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Trader

When I first started ticking I gave a 5 to a lot of beers for no other reason than I thought they were awesome. I went in and sorted my ratings top to bottom and re-drank all of the 5s and I don't have any more 5s. I still 18 at 4.75.

Biggest drop: Trois Pistoles from 5 to a 4.25.

11. Jeffo

Jeffo Poo-Bah (2,739) Sep 7, 2008 Netherlands

I do this quite a bit, but find that as I gain more experience, it's usually the other way around.

12. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,385) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

I need to do this for a few, but actually have done it only for one review so far. Good thread to remind us to do it.

13. Thehuntmaster

Thehuntmaster Initiate (0) Sep 2, 2009 South Africa

I revisit beers, but my ratings always remain exactly the same because I am a beer tasting god and my first impressions of a beer are perfect :sunglasses:

Okay, I am just joking :stuck_out_tongue: I love revisiting beers (though don't do it as often as I like) and usually find my ratings change. I always wonder how often the change is to do with a change in my tastes and how often it is bottle variation.

Some examples:

St. Amatus. I was not blown away by the first bottle I had (it was still a tasty quad though) and rated it roughly a 3.85. I thought the second bottle I had was far better and rated it a 4.5.

Westy 12. The first bottle I had blew my mind (I didn't rate it, but it would have been around the 4.8 mark). My second bottle was very disappointing compared to the first (would have rated about 4) and my third bottle was again great (4.6).

Mocha Bomb. My rating stayed about the same on this one, but the ratings of the individual aspects changed. It was my first imperial stout and I thought the coffee/chocolate nose was out of this world (5), but the flavour was a little too bitter for me (4.5). When I had it again, both scored 4.75.

I will be revisiting my all time favorite beer (Rare) in a few weeks, I can't wait :grinning:

14. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (7,220) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Premium Trader

I have been revisiting the majority of the beers I did a quick review on (Hads) over the last year or so and I noticed that when I did the full review, often the score went down (sometimes just a little bit and sometimes significantly).

Not sure how much can be attributed to the changes in my palate vs. the several changes of ratings scales for Hads when they first came out, none the less I now have a better record of the beer so I can make a more informed opinion if I want to get it again.

Bosoxfan20 likes this.
  15. Davepoolesque

Davepoolesque Poo-Bah (2,828) Aug 25, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

I did this with SN Torpedo. Didn't really enjoy it too much, then I had it again about a year later, and it was like drinking a new beer. Went from 3.5 to 4.

16. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,210) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado

I've been tempted to go back and do this, but I kind of like keeping those old ratings alive. It helps me reference what I liked and where my palate was at back then.
    There are numerous scores I laugh at these days, but that's half of the fun.
    Rather than change anything, sometimes I do add addendum notes. For instance, one of my favorite beers of all time is Mahr's "U," which I originally had a bottle of years and years ago. The rating I gave it was decent, but that beer is so, so much more than that when fresh.
    In most cases, it's the opposite, though. Beers I used to think were amazing that are really pretty average in the grand scheme of things.

Gutes_Bier and herrburgess like this.
  17. stella77artois

stella77artois Devotee (456) Nov 4, 2010 New York

I do it fairly often. Just had a big swing on SA Porch Rocker. Didn't like it the first time, think I had it at a 2.5. Then I tried it on a hot day when i was in the mood for a lighter, more refreshing beer, and it actually tasted pretty good. Think I gave it a 3.5 in the review. Not a great beer, but it's not bad for what it is.

18. clubarsky91

clubarsky91 Initiate (0) Aug 5, 2012 California

Recently had Sanctification on tap at RR and gave it a much higher rating than any batch I've given from bottles. Something about the taste of Sanctification bottles tastes off to me.

19. Mersh

Mersh Initiate (0) Mar 10, 2013 Connecticut

I do this whenever I have a beer that I haven't had in awhile, like something not in my distro that I got on trade. Or I also do it with seasonal beers or once a year brews that may have a new batch to it. I think everyone should because your tastes do change over time. I remember when Stouts made me gag and now I love them. Time change and so do our palettes.

20. J_Dub

J_Dub Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2013 Texas

I have changed mine at times mainly due to my tastes changing and having new, better examples of a style.

For example, I reviewed SN Bigfoot and Stone Old Guardian years ago when I first started branching out. They were simply too strong and I gave them something like a 2. Once I started acquiring a taste for more bitter brews this changed dramatically. I actually just retried Old Guardian last week (the first barelywine I've had in years) and it was fantastic. Bigfoot is a little costly for me but I'm really looking forward to re-reviewing it.

Another issue is trying much better examples of the style. I had Stone IPA as my favorite IPA for a while but after TX got Sculpin, Bengali Tiger, etc I had to move it down a bit since these new (to me) IPA's were just absolutely fantastic.

JakerLou likes this.
  21. 5thOhio

5thOhio Devotee (480) May 13, 2007 South Carolina

Did it recently when I reviewed the Abita Spring IPA. The hops had a weird medicinal/industrial taste. Next day, I came down with the flu. After I got over the flu, I revisited the beer. It was not great, but decent and the odd hop taste was gone so I deleted and rewrote the review. Must have been my taste buds getting sick too.

22. infiniteloop

infiniteloop Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2012 District of Columbia

Two beers that I originally posted on the 'Will Never Drink Again' thread have had an upward swing with me. Duchesse and SA Boston Lager.

While the Duchesse was certainly one of those beers that required a more experienced palate, I think the Sam Adams was just a bad bottle. Not that I love Boston Lager by any means, I just recognize that maybe it has its time and place now.

Duchesse on the other hand has really shown itself to be a unique, complex and acquired tasting beverage.

23. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (7,220) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Premium Trader

If I ever do revisit a full review and re-review the beer, my plan is to keep the old review comments (and add a line with the current score I have given it) at the end of the comments section and keep the most recent review at the top.

24. StoutSnob40

StoutSnob40 Poo-Bah (2,065) Jan 4, 2013 California
    Premium Trader

I had Stone IPA on tap a month ago.. Rated it a 3.25. Had it out of the bottle this weekend. Changed it to 4.25.

25. beerindex

beerindex Initiate (130) Jun 18, 2007 Michigan

Obviously I don't record my ratings onsite, but the biggest change for me has been with KBS. In 2007 I had it as a 10/10. When I had a 2010 bottle, I revised it down to an 8/10. I had a 2012 bottle less than a month ago, and I would put it at a 2/10.

I have also revised Palo Santo Maron from a 10/10 to an 8/10.

26. mrcraft

mrcraft Poo-Bah (1,688) Dec 15, 2012 California
    Premium

The one beer I didn't care for was Bell's Two Hearted. I didn't check the date, so it could have been an older bottle. I deleted my rating for the beer, but it was below 4 and the average for that beer is much higher. I figure I need to try another bottle making sure it's fresh this time.

27. Pintofbrown

Pintofbrown Initiate (0) Jun 25, 2011 Texas

I am still a beer novice in many respects. However, after doubling the amount of beer tasted (the vast majority of which I still have to add to BA), and more time spent learning about beer, I have seen a definite change in how I interpret and enjoy / dislike beers I have consumed before.

Anchor Steam is the newest example. It has been almost two years since my last one. Now, I am able to appreciate some of the more subtle things I was unable to pick up on when I first had it, yeast esters being a good example. Steam is a solid 4-4.25 now, where it was only at a 3.75 back in my VERY novice craft days.

I am still a beer noob, and soon to be homebrewer. So the sky is still the limit. It makes me excited to wonder where I will be in my beer journey another three years from now! Keep on keeping on BA's. Beer is a grand adventure! Cheers.

TongoRad likes this.
  28. TwoTrees

TwoTrees Aspirant (296) Oct 31, 2012 Washington

I revisited Bud Light at a friend's the other night. Yep...still shitteriffic!

I suppose it's comforting, in a way, to know that some things never change.

29. PA-Michigander

PA-Michigander Meyvn (1,365) Nov 10, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Which if you think about it is a compliment to Bud Light (which I hate in favor of Miller Lite) as they never change. Hell there are people that can tell you Hopslam 15 is way different than Hopslam 14.

30. TwoTrees

TwoTrees Aspirant (296) Oct 31, 2012 Washington

Oh, I agree...I will never disparage the consistency the BMC producers achieve.

31. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,513) Jun 11, 2013 New York

If I still have the beer I consider the review open to changes. That means if I am drinking from the same sixpack. Once that's done it's closed. That's the only way that I have found to be fair to the beer, to first impressions and to my sanity. You can't really compare a beer you drank in 2005 to a beer you drank in 2014, even with tasting notes. It's just too far away from the fact.

TheNightwatchman likes this.
  32. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (6,531) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Premium

I've revisited some things, mostly on a whim, I sort of miss the old tap vs bottle and other format comparisons you used to be able to have here on the site, but for the most part my opinions haven't really changed overall I find.

33. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,512) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina

Makes sense since your in CA, and 2H Ale is very good, same with and East Coast rating a 2 month old Pliny, apt to be disappointed.

34. Rohkey

Rohkey Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2013 Michigan

Blue Moon, Hoegaarden, Summer Shandy, etc. Were the first beers I got into, and I thought they were delicious and near-perfect. Boy...what a noobie I was. I still enjoy Hoegaarden and can drink the others, but they are no where near the 4.25-4.5 or whatever I gave it my first go-around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.