1. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

Beer recommendations - Birmingham, AL

Discussion in 'South' started by mpak, Mar 15, 2019.

1. mpak

mpak Initiate (54) Sep 6, 2014 Illinois

Hi there,

Making my first trip to Birmingham, AL next month and was hoping to get some tips on breweries in the area. I'll have a rental car and travel outside of the city.

I have a list from my own research, but am wondering which ones are "must check out", and also if there are any that I am missing.

Trimtab
    Good People
    Cahaba
    Avondale
    Ghost Train
    Red Hills
    The Sour Room at Avondale
    Birmingham District
    Back Forty

Would love to hear from folks who live or visit often.

Thanks in advance!

2. MarshallBirdhouse

MarshallBirdhouse Devotee (428) Feb 19, 2013 South Carolina
    Trader

Not exactly a brewery but the Hop City in Birmingham is a really really nice bottle shop with a great tap list.

3. JuliusPepperwood

JuliusPepperwood Aspirant (213) Jul 21, 2013 North Carolina

@mpak I'm from Birmingham and made this guide a few years ago.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/beer-guide-to-birmingham-al.490811/

Trim Tab, Good People, Cahaba, and Ghost Train are my personal favorite breweries, in that order. Hop City is a must stop since it has a great bottle selection and 66 taps you can get a pint or growler fill from.

If you have time the Avondale Sour Room is a great stop but I believe they are in the process of relocating it from across the parking lot to alongside the main brewery. Just a tip, Good People purchased Avondale and now you can usually find a few Avondale beers on at the Good People tap room.

District Brewing and Back Forty are cool but only if you have spare time. I'd pass on Red Hills, it's a small neighborhood brewery away from downtown that doesn't have many interesting offerings.

Let us know how your trip goes! Cheers

4. KMitch

KMitch Disciple (321) Aug 29, 2012 Alabama
    Trader

Red Hills is still closed and The Sour Room is closed and is in the process of relocating closer to Good People who now owns Avondale Brewing.

Trimtab is putting out some very well made hazy IPAs and the usually do a small batch taproom only release on Tuesdays or Wednesdays. If you follow them on IG they announce it beforehand.

Good People is good but their beers are all pretty standard and it is rare to see a one off small batch release from them. There should still be some bottles of El Gordo and some variants left if you want to pick up some bottles of that. There is a pizza kitchen around the corner from the brewery in case you get hungry. One more thing, they are across the street from a minor league baseball stadium, Birmingham Barons, if you go by on the night of a home game the crowd gets quite large.

Ghost Train has really getting better and better in the last year. They recently brought on board one of Trimtab's brewers and are in the process of doing weekly releases right now of a barrel aged version of their Stout Side Of The Moon.

Birmingham District is a very new brewery and their brewer was formerly at Abita and their Abyss stout is delicious. They do 16oz crowlers.

Back Forty has great food and a very nice facility. They have early afternoon food specials and the burger is awesome.

Avondale, like I said is now owned by Good People but they still brew beer under the Avondale label and their beers are ok. They do have a large outdoor area and have concerts usually on the weekends when the weather is warmer. They may be close to starting that again and you could check into it if that interests you.

Cahaba has a very large venue and the beers are good but not great and they do usually have a food truck in case you get hungry.

HopCity for sure is a place to stop for bottles and draft selection. Alabama law allows them to fill any 32oz or 64oz growler even if comes from an out of state brewery so you can bring your own growlers. They are a verified venue on Untappd and you can see the draft list and pricing there.

Since you will have a car some places outside of downtown that are worth a drive are: 1. The Beer Hog - a smaller version of Hop City south of town on Hwy 31. The draft selections are usually different there. 2. Goat Island Brewing - in Cullman, north of Bham on I65, 3. Siluria Brewing - a new brewery south of town on I 65 in Alabaster.

#4 KMitch, Mar 17, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    donspublic likes this.
  5. Jasonja1474

Jasonja1474 Initiate (53) Oct 15, 2018 Tennessee
    Trader