Beer & Record Album Pairing

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by nc41, Nov 22, 2019.

1. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,993) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

So.... pair one beer you love to one record album. Yep I’m dating myself here, but I love vinyl, always looking to add, great music, a bit of nostalgia and revisiting my youth.

Beer would be Heady Topper, and easily Creedence Clearwater Revival. I love CCR they just kill it, but a close win over the Beatles White Album, that one is better stoned and not drinking beer.

2. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (4,552) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Society

I mean just look at my posts from YBAYD threads :slight_smile:, been lazy today so no pics. Though currently drinking Lone Pint Gentleman's Relish (brown ale) and spinning Billie Holiday's Lady in Satin. One of her last albums, from 1958, and is just stunning. I found the original Columbia pressing a few years ago, and it is one of my favorites. Who knows whats going to be next for me tonight...

tobelerone, rozzom, TongoRad and 5 others like this.
  3. Beer_Stan

Beer_Stan Initiate (128) Mar 15, 2014 California
    Trader

Tool or Radiohead records always sit well with me while I drink and yes I have a collection of vinyl because I appreciate digitally mastered music through a deliciously analog medium and no I'm not kidding.

4. slangtruth

slangtruth Initiate (123) Jan 8, 2012 Kentucky

Over a long evening into night once I drank a six pack of Lagunitas Brown Shugga and near the end I really enjoyed John Martyn's "Inside Out", since I was approaching the level of inebriation at which it was recorded ;-)

GreenBayBA, wingedeel and nc41 like this.
  5. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (5,254) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

As of today, I'd drink Russian River 'Blind Pig' and listen to the Allman Brothers 'Eat A Peach' any day / all day...

Actually, 'Eat A Peach' is (and always has been) my favorite album, and I have it in my will to play 'Mountain Jam' (and various variants) at my memorial service instead of having some sappy-ass wordy crap being spoken by anyone (and any of my A.H. Hill 16-year bourbon I may have left will be distributed accordingly for anyone attending the festivity)...

6. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,882) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

7. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,825) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

I probably listen to Vinyl more than I do CD or digital currently. The warmth of the music and the entire presentation Vinyl offers is impossible to beat. Over the years I have been collecting and will continue to do so, only downside is storage which is a pain but its worth it in the end.
    For me I love kicking back beers to Pink Floyd, The Doors, Grateful Dead, Zeppelin, Clapton, etc. Anything from that era works for me since I listen to just about everything. I also love the new stuff on Vinyl so that gets tossed in. If any of you folks are on the fence about returning to Vinyl its so worth it!
    I usually pair IPA or Stouts with my music....
    Cheers
    [​IMG]

8. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (607) Mar 28, 2009 California

Stick Figure and Jackson Johnson.

Pretty much a Friday when I come home I pour a beer and say “Alexa play stick figure”.

bwarner2015, nc41 and GreenBayBA like this.
  9. lastmango

lastmango Champion (867) Dec 11, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society

Agree . . . Not that I ever inhaled.

10. nc41

Trader

Found a first pressing of the Beatles White album a few months ago. Not a scratch on it , and it plays beautifully. Like a doob and a strong whiskey to go with it. Love my vinyl, there’s so much out there, and it’s Sat night tradition with a big Red Zin to loosen up the wife, with a shot or two of Grey Goose.

TrojanRB, champ103, AWA and 1 other person like this.
  11. NextBestThing

NextBestThing Aspirant (217) Apr 5, 2008 New York

Zombie Dust & Blonde on Blonde

mamaraza, mickyge, travis224 and 5 others like this.
  12. dennis3951

dennis3951 Savant (936) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Pink Floyd The Dark Side of the Moon with Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout

13. GOBLIN

GOBLIN Meyvn (1,156) Mar 3, 2013 Ohio
    Trader

Some of my favorites include ... Dvorak, Phish, Matisyah, Mark Knopfler, The Doors, Lake Street Dive, Avett Brothers, Justin Townes Earle, Steely Dan, Gillian Welch and on and on it goes. But lately it's been Sturgill Simpson Sound and Fury
    [​IMG]
    But this has been my favorite of 2019
    Justin Townes Earle Saint of Lost Causes
    [​IMG]

14. nc41

Trader

Damn, that’s my wife’s favorite album.
    My wife’s favorite album, damn another one that needs a doob. I need to move to CO.

TrojanRB and dennis3951 like this.
  15. GOBLIN

GOBLIN Meyvn (1,156) Mar 3, 2013 Ohio
    Trader

No doobs in N.C. ?

nc41 likes this.
  16. nc41

Trader

Zep is hard to find as is The Who, or Stones. Funny living in NC the consignment stores are full of Pat Boone and Merle Haggard stuff.

TrojanRB, scream and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  17. nc41

Trader

I’m too old to buy off the Street. Not here yet, need a Bible Belt state to fall, then they all fall.

dennis3951, BrewsNRecords and GOBLIN like this.
  18. AZBeerDude72

Society Trader

Cannot go wrong with Merle, I have a bunch of his albums. Zeppelin is very hard to find clean, it (record) has been so overplayed and kept poorly its a wreck when you do find it. I always tell people you find a copy of stuff like this and its clean grab it, its rare and getting more so each year (Regarding original pressings).

jhartley, TrojanRB and nc41 like this.
  19. nc41

Trader

Popular albums that are clean are tough. I sometimes go thru discogs, at least they’re guaranteed and rated. Not no chancy a buy at sometimes steep pricing. I felt fortunate to only pay $40 for a pristine White Album first pressing, about the same for Sgt Pepper.

20. AZBeerDude72

Society Trader

I also reference Discogs a ton on what I am buying etc. I have not used them to buy but use almost daily on info.

TongoRad, BrewsNRecords and nc41 like this.
  21. GratefulBeerGuy

GratefulBeerGuy Poo-Bah (2,956) May 20, 2006 New Hampshire
    Society Trader

Since I do this sort of thing every single day... It would be impossible to choose. So, I'll tell you my pairing as of this moment...
    I just cracked open the Smuttynose 25th Birthday Finest Kind Double IPA while spinning Grateful Dead: Houston Texas 11/18/1972 double album released for record store day in 2014. Great post idea btw!

67couple, Bouleboubier, T-RO and 5 others like this.
  22. nc41

Trader

Wish I was there with you, I’d be all in on that.

23. nc41

Trader

That Beatles White I bought at an antique shop, shrink wrapped. I bought it without a peek at it. Had only the Ringo picture inside, but the vinyl was completely clean. The cool thing with discogs is you can negotiate price and or shipping or both.

AZBeerDude72 likes this.
  24. Giantspace

Giantspace Crusader (740) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Was listening to Can earlier today. No beer though.

Going to see a few live local punk bands tonight. Probably be drinking some AAL or Kenzinger.

Enjoy

25. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (2,081) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I don’t pair records with beer, but enjoy the two together often. The music is more about my mood than the beer. I will say though, more often than not, this record comes out when I’m chilling in my basement with a beer after everyone is in bed.

[​IMG]

AZBeerDude72 likes this.
  26. rgordon

rgordon Savant (994) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

The old Fleetwood Mac (Peter Green), Dire Straits, The Beatles, Marvin Gaye, Otis Redding, Jimi Hendrix, Richard Thompson, The Moody Blues, The Temptations, Traffic and everything Winwood has ever done, Tom Petty, Roy Orbison, Elvis Pressley, Elvis Costello, The Who, Cream, The Grateful Dead, Joni Mitchell, Linda Ronstadt, anything by John Sebastian (Summer in the City), Dave Matthews, Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Jethro Tull, Led Zeppelin and The Monkeys, or The Dave Clark Five, or Donovan. Any of these would go well with Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

AWA, TongoRad, Bigrock and 2 others like this.
  27. nc41

Trader

Love Fleetwood Mac, saw them in concert in Raleigh, I’ve always loved Stevie Nicks. When I get a bit buzzed on goes the Woodstock Albums. Love AC/ DC too, I’m not much into heavy stuff but they’re great. Love Metallica Enter Sandman, if that doesn’t do it for you your probably dead.

rgordon likes this.
  28. GratefulBeerGuy

GratefulBeerGuy Poo-Bah (2,956) May 20, 2006 New Hampshire
    Society Trader

This beer is o.k, but the "playing in the band" from this album is CRAZY.

29. mschrei

mschrei Poo-Bah (2,170) Jul 4, 2014 Illinois
    Society

Somebody needs to alert @PatrickCT about this discussion.

30. Steve_Studnuts

Steve_Studnuts Disciple (340) Apr 21, 2015 Pennsylvania

I often used to pair 12 packs of cheap AAL with the New Bomb Turks' "Destroy-Oh-Boy" and other assorted trashy garage punk at ear-splitting volume. My liver (and ears) paid a heavy toll.

BrewsNRecords likes this.
  31. rgordon

I saw Percy Sledge (When a man Loves a Woman) in the Fall of 1969 at The University of Richmond in the old gym at Homecoming.The first act was Steel Mill and Bruce Springsteen. The whole show was and is still amazing. I saw The Allman Brothers at the Atlanta Pop Festival in 1970. Huge show, huge crowd, the year after Woodstock. We saw them the next fall in a small venue in Greensboro- The End Zone on Walker Avenue, the current Suds and Duds. We had two Blatz drafts each before the show. I'll never forget that show and the genius of the music still rings in my being.

32. mogulskier

mogulskier Initiate (68) Feb 3, 2019 California

Oh man, does this bring back some memories. I'd enjoy a nice IPA or two listening to this.

AZBeerDude72 likes this.
  33. rgordon

And I should have mentioned Santana!

34. mambossa

mambossa Disciple (394) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio
    Society

35. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,361) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

We are full bro, sorry.

36. nc41

Trader

Kinda cool to make a beer, pot, booze run. I’m in, hopefully soon.

37. BrewsNRecords

BrewsNRecords Initiate (125) May 13, 2015 North Carolina
    Trader

I was listening to the New Bomb Turks the other night, usually pair punk with pale ales or ipas. "Automatic teller" and "End of the great credibility race" are my favorite songs by them.

38. JrGtr

JrGtr Disciple (396) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

YES!!!! I haven't run across too many other folks into the Peter Green Era...
    most Fleetwood fans think it started and ended with Lindsay Buckingham (nothing against Lindsay; he's a phenomenal player with such a unique sound) but for me it's Peter all the way, especially in the Danny Kirwin / Jeremy Spencer era.

For other albums - I listen to everything from classical to metal...except country and rap.
    I'll take Iron Maiden with Trooper, Megadeth with Unibroue's Tout le Monde...
    oh, wait....
    to me, any beer goes with any music. Pink Floyd, Who, Santana, Zepp, Aerosmith, Dire Straits, Ramones, Damned, Misfits, Maiden, Anthrax, Metallica, Sabbath, Zombie, MM Bosstones, Bim Skala Bim, Rancid, Leonard Cohen, Rodrigo Y Gabriela, Cream, CSN(and sometimes Y) CCR, Rush, so on and so forth...

AZBeerDude72 likes this.
  39. scream

scream Meyvn (1,216) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin
    Society

A nice IPA, Stout or Barleywine paired w some Bill Evans or Art Tatum relaxing to the soul

40. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 Poo-Bah (1,536) May 14, 2014 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

This reminds me we need another Record or Vinyl Day. Been way to long.
    @joe1510 @PatrickCT and all others.
    Hard to pair a beer with a single record. To me any brew goes with vinyl.

mickyge, kuhndog, mschrei and 6 others like this.