Beer Release (Short's Brew): Batch 5000

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by BeyondDescription, Jan 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrinktotheDead

DrinktotheDead Feb 11, 2014 Michigan
    Deactivated

How much was produced compared to a regular relrase?
    Shocked at the small allotments.

2. BWichmann74

BWichmann74 Sep 27, 2014 Michigan

Discount Drinks in Farmington Hills got 6 bottles. Imperial Beverage truck is still in the parking lot and I bought the first so 5 are still here - $21.99

3. Tripel_Threat

Tripel_Threat Jun 29, 2014 Michigan
    Society Trader

Beer Baron on Middlebelt just north of 7 was supposed to have some today. Don't know if they've received it yet

Edit: strike that, contact just told me that they didn't get any and aren't expecting to

#83 Tripel_Threat, Feb 3, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  4. heesu

heesu Jul 2, 2012 Michigan

That price is a joke.

5. BEERschlitz

BEERschlitz Oct 13, 2013 Michigan

Definitely not an appealing price, but if you're a fan of Short's hoppy offerings (or really just hops in general) it's worth the experience IMO

6. Brianw508

Brianw508 Apr 29, 2013 Michigan

There was no draft at all. All of it was bottled. It was literally 1 batch. I'm fortunate to get what I'm getting, but I also know I've earned my allocation. Just like everyone else who is getting theirs

myxmastrmike likes this.
  7. bozodogbreath

bozodogbreath Oct 19, 2006 Indiana
    Trader

$19.99 in Trenton and Wyandotte.

8. MostlyMichiganBeerReview

MostlyMichiganBeerReview Aug 4, 2015 Michigan

I didnt see anything today out and about :slight_frown:

9. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

Gone or didn't even get from 4 stores I checked in Redford /Livonia area.
    Having a day job is really crimping by ability to get these brews.

10. amalburg

amalburg Jan 7, 2014 Michigan

Why hasn't anybody rated this?

11. bassfishingguy

bassfishingguy Apr 19, 2014 Michigan

Likely because very few people have actually tried it. I was able to grab a bottle, but haven't tried it yet. Per @BEERschlitz 's comments, I should probably find 1-2 people to share this one with (so we don't all end up shitfaced :grinning:). If anybody in the Grand Rapids area wants to set up a bottle share, I'd be more than happy to bring a bottle of this to share. Let me know. I'd also be willing to host a share, but I live in Middleville (which may be out of the way for many).

12. gashmoney

gashmoney Apr 10, 2013 Michigan

What a fitting way to end the "Michigan Only, Michigan Forever" slogan. Release an extremely limited, next to impossible to find, overpriced beer to get the hype train rolling. They should fit right in in Illinois. Maybe I'm reading too far into it though...

13. BeyondDescription

BeyondDescription Feb 9, 2009 Vermont
    Trader

Respectively, I think yes. It was our first release of this type, and we cannot dictate what retailers will sell it for.

Brianw508 likes this.
  14. gashmoney

I'm sure its a total coincidence. I'll admit I'm a bit salty about the out of state distro news. Probably should've kept that comment to myself.

15. BeyondDescription

BeyondDescription Feb 9, 2009 Vermont
    Trader

Your opinion is as valid as everyone else. Trust me, I had my reservations about going out of the state, and the fact that we promoted the fact we were Michigan only. The only thing I can truly say is that Joe wasn't kidding when he said it wasn't an easy decision. The market has been extremely volatile, the past year. It was either that or start laying off employees. What would you have done, you know? I'm confident that Michigan will always be taken care of.

Believe it if you need it...

ravot, adamant1912, core42 and 4 others like this.
  16. landrewg

landrewg Nov 11, 2008 Michigan
    Trader

Like the Persuaders sang: "It's a thin line between love and hate."

core42 likes this.
  17. Pete811

Pete811 May 13, 2013 Michigan

Love Shorts. Totally understand the news.. give us some hopstache 12 pack cans year round and I'll forgive

gashmoney and MittenBrews like this.
  18. UnionFederal

UnionFederal Oct 11, 2015 Michigan

If you don't just pass it on...

BeyondDescription likes this.
  19. Cotton_27

Cotton_27 Feb 22, 2013 Michigan
    Trader

I would much rather see Shorts distribute outside of Michigan than lay off employees and lose what they have going on. Shorts is my favorite brewery and will continue to be. I see this as a new and improved Shorts that will continue to take care of Michigan while letting other states know how lucky we are to live in this great state, with this great beer! Michigan always, Shorts forever! Yeah I'm a fanboy....

Zaphog, PapaGoose03, core42 and 4 others like this.
  20. Billydoughnuts

Billydoughnuts Feb 22, 2015 Michigan

My store didn't get any. Guy said he'd check with his distributor to see if he can get me one but it's not sounding good by what I'm reading in here.

My birthday is the end of next month and I was planning to visit Shorts for the first time...I wonder what the chances are they will have any bottles left at the pub

21. spike8382

spike8382 Jan 14, 2015 Indiana

My store received their allotment. $21.99 for a bomber. That's higher than 3Floyd's prices. This too shall pass.

22. bowzer4birdie

bowzer4birdie Aug 16, 2012 Illinois
    Society

The only review out there is by my man @beergorrilla who I would trust with my beer life in terms of reviews. :-) No comments on the review, though...and a 4.1 (hmmm)

spike8382 likes this.
  23. schepelz

schepelz Apr 4, 2013 Michigan

Was able to find a bottle and plan to open for the Super Bowl. Can't wait to try this one!

24. spike8382

Decisions, decisions, decisions. Thought about making the run to grab a couple of bottles of 5000 versus heading to Oddside this weekend for the Hazel's release. Hoppy vs a great release lineup three hours away. Also, bought a new 10 gallon brew pot today for a Pliny kit in waiting. It's looking like a road trip on Saturday.

25. Brianw508

I got my full allocation and couldn't be happier. I do find it funny people complaining about $21, yet they'll drive from store to store and over pay dramatically for most BBA beers. I would have bought 2 at full price if I hadn't gotten any. If your local store didn't get any, it means they aren't selling enough Short's. I can't wait to crack this later today

26. spike8382

As always, it's all about tastes. If there's a bottle of 5000 when I get there on Saturday, I may grab one for the experience. At four times the price of Hopslam, it's debatable. Sort of sucks when the amazing hoppy beers come out in January and February during what I like to consider "stout" season. It would be great if beers like Hopslam and Batch 5000 would hit the shelves in the warmer months, but it's the nature of the beast. Just happy to be near amazing Michigan beers.

#107 spike8382, Feb 4, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  27. Smokesnotes

Smokesnotes Apr 26, 2014 Michigan

I feel like people keep ignoring the fact that this is a 15% TIPA and are comparing the price to IPA and DIPA bombers. I often see Dogfish 120 come in at $12 - $13 for a 12 oz bottle and people rarely gripe about the price. $20 seems to be aligned with other beers of this size/ABV/availability.

28. Brianw508

How dare you use logic?

core42 and BeyondDescription like this.
  29. Jaycase

Jaycase Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Society Trader

Well therein lies the crux of the matter certainly! (Sorry, it was a fat pitch down the middle :wink:)

30. MadLatvian

MadLatvian Feb 8, 2015 Michigan

Happened to be in Fenton and stopped at a shop off Owen Road, don't know the name. $29, that's just stupid and I clearly passed. I swear metro Flint has the highest prices if any county in Michigan.

31. Pete811

Pete811 May 13, 2013 Michigan

So how is this ma fucka?

32. gashmoney

I genuinely meant that I should've kept my comment to myself. Just another example of not thinking before speaking or typing. Kudos to Short's for keeping people employed. Sorry for the sour grapes and thanks for taking the time to respond @HopHeadHerman.

BeyondDescription likes this.
  33. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

I have a feeling a lot of the people who got their hands on this one aren't on BA

34. jspoon

jspoon Apr 27, 2015 Michigan

I have one reserved for me... I am picking it up tomorrow. I am a loser, so I will be shelling out the $20 for it.

35. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

That's damn classy of you.

gashmoney likes this.
  36. DrinktotheDead

DrinktotheDead Feb 11, 2014 Michigan
    Deactivated

If you compare it to 120 Minute pricing it's in line. Actually cheaper if you can land one at the brewery.

37. red94tt

red94tt Nov 27, 2008 Michigan
    Trader

So my local store was charging $22 bucks for 5000. You're correct in that it is in line, per ounce, compared to DF 120.

But just for argument's sake, it's more expensive than my local pricing on Devil Dancer, Evil Twin Molotov Heavy and Kuhnenn TRIPA.

Again, that's just throwing that up there for comparison...I'm not really one of those "per ounce" guys. For me, in this case, 22 bux is on the steep side for what's basically an unproven beer with no reviews...it's a gamble and I would personally rather save some of my weekly beer budget cash for an extra 4-pack of Hazel's this weekend :slight_smile:

38. md655321

md655321 Dec 4, 2007 Michigan

Cracked mine tonight. Absurd amounts of citrus/pineapple/mango. Definitely some TIPA sweetness and an interesting beer overall. OK with paying 21.99 for one, but passed on getting another. I wasnt upset paying the premium, but I dont think missing out entirely would have been a tragedy.

Bring on Superfluid!!

BEERschlitz and red94tt like this.
  39. BEERschlitz

BEERschlitz Oct 13, 2013 Michigan

The Pineapple is strong with this one...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.