Beer Release (Short's Brew): Batch 5000

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by BeyondDescription, Jan 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adamant1912

adamant1912 (0) Jan 10, 2010 Michigan

Was able to grab 1 in Macomb for $23, at about $1/ounce it's expensive but this isn't the norm for anything Short's. 1 time release, no draft, and at %15 in the current market this shouldn't be a shock to anyone. Keep looking though, my buddy grabbed 5 shed turds @ $19.99 from a grocery store in Oakland county yesterday...

2. DrinktotheDead

DrinktotheDead (0) Feb 11, 2014 Michigan
    Deactivated

We've bitched so long about the lack of products like this being produced for us by our top breweries, no one can actually believe it when it happens.
    That and there isn't enough of course.

3. vette-ss

vette-ss (0) Nov 5, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

Moreso than Scallywag? Hope not. Not cracking mine until Superbowl.

4. Brianw508

Brianw508 (0) Apr 29, 2013 Michigan

i really enjoyed this last night. It was very citrusy, not as boozy as I thought it'd be, and for it was a pretty easy for 15%. My favorite thing this week was how all the Short's haters were scrambling to find one of these. This beer well lived up to the hype for me.

BEERschlitz and alfie like this.
  5. BEERschlitz

BEERschlitz (0) Oct 13, 2013 Michigan

Scallywager was more Pineapple juice, the Pineapple flavor I got in Batch 5000 was strictly from the hops that were used, which to me is much better.

6. Billydoughnuts

Billydoughnuts (0) Feb 22, 2015 Michigan

Just got a call from my guy, he came through! Gonna pick my bottle up after work, $21.49.

Stoked for this...

BEERschlitz likes this.
  7. heesu

heesu (0) Jul 2, 2012 Michigan

I guess my reference point was Exponential Hoppiness from Alpine when I lived in San Diego. I believe that was $12-14 for a bomber. Anyway, I'm not typically one to bitch about pricing - this one just caught me off guard.

grr32 and red94tt like this.
  8. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 (1,724) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

If anyone still wants this beer and you are close to Battle Creek, I saw 4 of them at Horrocks last night @ $19.95.

9. Billydoughnuts

Shared last night with a buddy. Very good brew.

I suggest keeping it chilled when drinking. Initial pour around 45-50 degrees was perfect for aroma and taste. Booze only presented itself at the end and minimally at that. I left the bottle out and the second pours weren't as complex, booze was all we got. Definitely need to share this one, it would take a very brave soul to take it down solo.

Very happy to have had this. Among the other "triple" IPA I've had (devil dancer and 120 minute) I prefer this and it's not even close.

10. Ckoz

Ckoz (436) Feb 15, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

Anyone know if Shorts still has this at the pub?

11. Mike1958

Mike1958 (0) Feb 6, 2016 Michigan

I got one and I'm looking forward to giving it a try with friends.

12. MostlyMichiganBeerReview

MostlyMichiganBeerReview (0) Aug 4, 2015 Michigan

Finally found a bottle. I over paid, but I'm just glad I get to try this piece of beer history.

13. MittenBrews

MittenBrews (0) Jan 19, 2015 North Carolina

Same here man. Will be trying tonight!

14. Nosnum

Nosnum (0) Oct 31, 2007 Michigan

I am cracking my open to share with family tonight. Pretty excited!

15. TheBeerDad

TheBeerDad (0) Sep 6, 2012 Michigan

Drank this ovet a two night period. Honestly the best TIPA I have ever had, wish theprice point at my store wasnt $22. I could have bought two but couldnt bring myself to do it.

16. Zaphog

Zaphog (1,297) Sep 23, 2011 Michigan
    Society Trader

For a 15% TIPA, I def enjoyed this. VERY BOOZY though!!! I still got some of the pineapple notes from the hops, but as it warmed the alcohol heat came out in full force. To be expected for a 15%er though. Appearance, aroma and mouthfeel were on point!

3.96/5 rDev -14.8%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

17. croush

croush (0) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Just got word from my brother that he found a store in Benzie with 3 and grabbed me one. I won't get to pick it up from him for a couple months, so I'll see how it tastes then.

Tripel_Threat likes this.
  18. Cotton_27

Cotton_27 (683) Feb 22, 2013 Michigan
    Trader

Just cracked mine open and i am sharing it with my brother, great triple IPA! Glad i took everyones advice and decided to share it, you can tell its 15%

19. CD83

CD83 (0) Nov 9, 2014 Michigan

Nancy boys. Drank it myself while making ham and navy bean soup for the S(oup)er bowl. Even ate the neck of the bottle for an appetizer.

Edit: yep the 15% Abv makes you drunk.

20. Billydoughnuts

I lol at this.

21. Mike1958

Mike1958 (0) Feb 6, 2016 Michigan

I have one and am gonna wait a minute to share it with a friend.

22. sculls65

sculls65 (0) Dec 15, 2008 Michigan

How does it compare to TRIPA?

23. BeyondDescription

BeyondDescription (0) Feb 9, 2009 Vermont
    Trader

This beer is ridiculous. Yeah, I work for them, but my opinion stands. Juicy.

24. Selby56

Selby56 (0) Nov 12, 2014 Pennsylvania

Wish I could get my hands on one of these. I would imagine at this point there are few sitting on any store shelves.

25. steebo777

steebo777 (0) Jun 30, 2009 Michigan

Night and day difference compared to TRIPA and Devils Dancer. Batch 5000 is so much better than both.

26. BEERschlitz

BEERschlitz (0) Oct 13, 2013 Michigan

It really is another level above both of those beers. Just a crazy huge beer.

27. MostlyMichiganBeerReview

Just opened it (was waiting to share with the GF) and DANG is it GOOD!

So damn juicy! Super pineapple aroma and flavor from hops. Sweet malt bill. Piney bittering finish. 15% abv is well hidden. Super balanced.

Def. in it's own world/better compared to the other TIPA's

28. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 (1,724) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I haven't had this beer, but from the descriptions in the last few posts, it needs to be said what I determined a long time ago when I fell in love with this brewery's IPAs/DIPAs -- the brewers at Short's must all have a Doctor of Hops degree because they are masters at blending the flavors of the hop varieties that they choose for their recipes.

29. BWichmann74

BWichmann74 (0) Sep 27, 2014 Michigan

Opened this beer tonight and about half way through. I'm a huge DIPA fan but have been struggling to truly appreciate the TRIPA.

This beer is the first TRIPA I've gotten excited about. Once you fill your glass and get a good smell you know your in for a big ass beer. The difference with this one is that it let's you know it's a big beer, but still has that "hopiness" and "juiciness" that we have grown to love in IPA'S.

For those moments when we IPA lovers want a high alcohol, big beer, I would be happy to have this available to me (even at the $20 sticker)

30. iSheffro

iSheffro (0) Feb 22, 2014 Michigan

Went solo for the Super Bowl. #crunkjuice... Short's at their very, very best.

BeyondDescription likes this.
  31. vette-ss

vette-ss (0) Nov 5, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

Nice job! I haven't cracked my B5000 yet, but can't do any more damage than a bomber of No Rules....right?

32. fishmich

fishmich (0) Apr 11, 2013 Michigan

it really doesnt. best tipa ive ever had by a very wide margin.

33. BeyondDescription

Trader

Sold out

Ckoz likes this.
  34. Tripel_Threat

Tripel_Threat (0) Jun 29, 2014 Michigan
    Society Trader

Ugh. I tried I dont know how many places and it's been out before it even arrived. Right now I'm floating between jealous rage and numb resignation.

It's getting to the point where I'd drink the dregs out of an ash tray to try it.
    Ah, hell. I do hope that everyone who scored a bottle enjoys it. And on the paczki day, I say na dzrowie!

35. fishmich

fishmich (0) Apr 11, 2013 Michigan

i wouldnt give up yet. a couple stores ive seen have gotten another small allocation this week. ive seen some bars serving it also.

36. MostlyMichiganBeerReview

Yeah, i see reports of stores getting a second shipment.

37. BeyondDescription

Trader

One left at Ballpark Party Store in GR.

38. Tripel_Threat

Tripel_Threat (0) Jun 29, 2014 Michigan
    Society Trader

Hope really does spring eternal. Got a message earlier from a friend that the store he works at just got a second shipment and he set a bottle aside for me.
    [​IMG]

39. Smokesnotes

Smokesnotes (0) Apr 26, 2014 Michigan

About six bottles left at the Knapp Meijer as of 10 minutes ago.

40. Billydoughnuts

I went to my shop today and when I went to pay for my haul, the guy asked how I liked the 5k, said I loved it. He told me he got another 4 bottles and asked if I wanted more. I passed.

Then I went to my truck, thought a minute, and went back in and grabbed another bottle. I won a $5 square in my work super bowl square and was like fuck it....

If any of you guys missed out and are dying for this PM me and we can work something out. Maybe help me figure out how to make my avatar right side up.

BeyondDescription likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.