Beer Release (Short's Brew): Batch 5000

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by BeyondDescription, Jan 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schepelz

schepelz Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2013 Michigan

The only two beers shorts has put in bombers thus far is Batch 5000 (triple IPA) and peachy Pom Pom (sour). Only two...both of which require extra resources to brew/bortle.

You're acting like they are charging $20/bomber of huma. Instead ...these are usually only tap-only exclusive beers that we now have the option to buy in bottles.

If you don't want to pay for these bombers, no one is requiring you to.

SportsandJorts likes this.
  2. hopnado

hopnado Devotee (417) Aug 13, 2014 Michigan

You forgot to mention Anniversary Ale which was available in sixers usually priced between $12-15. Can't wait to see the bomber price!
    As far as Peachy Pom Pom(worst beer name ever), do you know if that was a kettle sour or a traditional wild fermented sour?
    I'm not totally against paying a premium for limited high quality brews but the bomber has a notorious reputation as being the vessel that rapes wallets. Many breweries are realizing that we don't want them, apparently Short's didn't get the memo. Put that shit in 4 packs

#202 hopnado, Mar 2, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  3. grr32

grr32 Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2012 Michigan

But but but they went to bombers (raised the price) so they could "continue to thrive as a business and take care of their staff."

4. the_King

the_King Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2013 Michigan

Thank you for the response and all the info and help through the years here.

BeyondDescription likes this.
  5. Smokesnotes

Smokesnotes Initiate (171) Apr 26, 2014 Michigan

I appreciated your release posts, got me excited about upcoming Short's beers. Sorry if the knuckleheads beat it out of you. Cheers man.

md655321 likes this.
  6. BEERschlitz

BEERschlitz Initiate (0) Oct 13, 2013 Michigan

@HopHeadHerman, your posts will be missed. Don't be a stranger around here! :slight_smile:

md655321 and Tracker83 like this.
  7. DrinktotheDead

DrinktotheDead Initiate (0) Feb 11, 2014 Michigan
    Deactivated

Hard to get "short" with a brewery that has been so good to us for this long and kept prices low while everyone else crept a dollar or two up consistently. I'll always love Short's no matter what and buy what I can, when my budget allows it. Thanks @HopHeadHerman for the time and effort.

Tracker83 and Blutz like this.
  8. Blutz

Blutz Initiate (99) Mar 25, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

I'm really bummed to hear this @HopHeadHerman. Like many others on here, I look forward to your release posts - many of which have made me aware of a release I would have otherwise missed out on. Plus, with the release schedule changing a bit, these posts are more helpful than ever.

wizzy and md655321 like this.
  9. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,670) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Thanks for all of the thread starters on the fine Short's Brews. I've always looked forward to your posts, Sean, as a reminder of what is coming so that I could get my butt down to my local store. However, I've put a shortcut on my desktop of the 2016 Release Schedule, so you've been replaced already. :wink::wink::grinning: Please DO hang around this forum in the future.

10. K-jack211

K-jack211 Initiate (127) Jun 22, 2014 Michigan

Perhaps you should take your whiny self over to maltliquoradvocate.com. The price per ounce of a Mickey's 64 oz. jug is astounding. You're not entitled to beer at a price you think is proper. You're entitled to beer at a price the market will bear.

11. croush

croush Champion (805) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I did enjoy the Short's release posts so it would give me an idea if there is something I want to grab when going back to Michigan, even if I'm not the biggest Short's fan out there...there were still some good ones I liked to check out. It really sucks that some jerks ran @HopHeadHerman from posting those anymore. They could've just voiced their dissatisfaction with it and moved on, proceeding to not buy those beers, but instead they had to create a big stink about it and ruin it for the rest of us. Thanks a lot.

12. borto1ms

borto1ms Initiate (0) Sep 18, 2013 Michigan

Thank you for all of the posts over the years! Your posts are actually what got me into Short's and onto Beer Advocate. Always looked forward to those "Beer Release (Short's Brew): " titles.

13. BeyondDescription

BeyondDescription Disciple (315) Feb 9, 2009 Vermont
    Trader

Thanks for the kind words, folks. Nothing in particular is making me want to stop-- it's just time to retire and concentrate on other projects. I figured Batch 5000 would be a nice ending to several years worth of release posts. I thank you all for the commentary, good and bad alike.

14. hopnado

Not sure if you are near Grand Rapids but Rishis International Beverage facebook page always posts new releases, Short's along with many others, as soon as they are available. It's the most up to date page I have found in the area and is a great resource even if you don't shop there. One of his most recent posts show a bottle of peachy pom pom next to a bottle of mango magnifico

15. Tracker83

Tracker83 Zealot (502) Jun 26, 2012 Michigan
    Trader

I think there are enough BAs here who are watching for these Short's releases that we could make our own release threads. It would be pretty easy for the first one to see it on shelves to start a thread using the same title format that Sean used, and post the information about the beer as shown on Short's website. With all the limited releases I can see how those posts are helpful to others who don't follow as closely.

jenna_4 and Tripel_Threat like this.
  16. BeyondDescription

BeyondDescription Disciple (315) Feb 9, 2009 Vermont
    Trader

That's the spirit!

17. HighBoostOnly

HighBoostOnly Initiate (49) Feb 15, 2016 Michigan

Damn, only reason I check into this site.

18. Tripel_Threat

Tripel_Threat Poo-Bah (3,072) Jun 29, 2014 Michigan
    Society Trader

Ah, sad to you're not doing them anymore. I usually see your posts before I see the Facebook page mention anything about releases. Thanks for having kept us informed, I'd be happy to buy you a round and White Pepper when I'm at the pub. Cheers!

Zaphog likes this.
  19. Mike1958

Mike1958 Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2016 Michigan

I had it on draft and I found short's attempt at a sour to be solid. Not a huge fan of sour beers myself so from me this is saying something. Nice and tart.

BEERschlitz likes this.
  20. BEERschlitz

Very nice, just picked up a bottle no more than 5 minutes ago. Pricey for what it is, buy I had to try it once...

21. md655321

md655321 Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2007 Michigan

Just wanted to add that @HopHeadHerman has also brought me great joy and information over the years. I hope all goes well in all your endeavors!

And Peachy Pom Pom is great.

22. krustster

krustster Initiate (0) Nov 22, 2013 Maine

I killed a bottle of 5000 last week and while $17 was a high price, it was still mostly worth it to me (since it's a limited extra-special release anyway) because it was absolutely delicious! So much fruity hops, balanced without being overly malty, it tasted like a hoppy pineapple orange juice. I could hardly believe it was 15% as I expected a boozy monster but it drank more like a 10%.

23. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

This is so good to hear. I'm hanging onto my bottle for another week or so. My cousin is supposed to come into town and she brings over so brews from out west. This one's going to be the finisher.

24. BEERschlitz

If it's the finisher it'll also be the starter.... of you both vomiting lol. Was wrecked after soloing this bottle and can't imagine splitting one after several other beers. Nothing a little water during and aspirin in the morning can't cure though!

LambicPentameter likes this.
  25. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

Heh, yeah we usually go through ten or twelve over the course of four or five hours. Water, pretzels, and my wife gets in on anything thats not too bitter (so a lot of them are 4 oz pours).

I still remember your earlier "review" of 5000 in this thread, taking it to heart :wink:

BEERschlitz likes this.
  26. ScottatShorts

ScottatShorts Initiate (64) Jul 26, 2013 Michigan

We will not be putting out many bombers, maybe 4-6 this year at the most and we are not transitioning away from our specialty program. These are beers that would not be in 6 packs due to pricing restraints. For instance batch 5000 was crazy expensive to get the hops. That was our first bomber and we did not realize how selling by the bottle rather than the case would increase logistic and handling costs. We fixed that for Peachy Pom Pom and although we sold it for about the same price it should be $5 cheaper on the shelf. ($16-17 most commonly)

Why $16-$17 on Peachy Pom Pom? Well peach and pomegranate are expensive but equally as important we could also make 9-12 batches of another beer instead of using the same equipment to make this one. As a general rule it really is not a financial benefit to make these very often.

27. fishmich

fishmich Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2013 Michigan

but this cant be, i read on an internet forum that you guys are only doing it to screw over the consumer. then you come up in here with all your reasons and explanations. the nerve.

croush likes this.
  28. hopnado

except for Anniversary ale which would normally be in a sixer

not a brewer but this leads me to believe PPP is a kettle sour which aren't nearly as expensive to produce compared to wild fermented sours that usually command these higher prices

29. Mike1958

Mike1958 Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2016 Michigan

You will enjoy it. I had a bottle gifted to me by a wonderful store owner and loved it so much I way overpaid for a second which I'm saving for a short time to try with friends.

30. arthurry

arthurry Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2014 Michigan

Suprisingly found this at Mahoney's in Traverse City last weekend if anyone is still interested. It looked like they might have a couple of bottles left @ $24.99 per. Also saw a single 4 pack of KBS at $29.99 left

31. ClarkstonMark

ClarkstonMark Initiate (103) Feb 21, 2016 Michigan
    Trader

Also saw this available for $30 at the Clarkston Union a couple days ago.

32. croush

Trader

Is this still drinking pretty well? I'm picking up a bottle from my brother in MI, and was thinking about bringing it to DLD in couple weeks.

33. arthurry

arthurry Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2014 Michigan

Never had it initially, but I really enjoyed it a few days ago

34. Tracker83

Tracker83 Zealot (502) Jun 26, 2012 Michigan
    Trader

I drank my last one 2 weeks ago, and it was fantastic! Would gladly still pay 24 for another

35. MostlyMichiganBeerReview

MostlyMichiganBeerReview Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2015 Michigan

My favorite place to grab a flight of beer and the weekly pot pie~ Mmmmmmmm Good!

36. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

If anyone still has a bottle, it's still fantastic. Cracked me just a little while ago, and this is the biggest tropical hop bomb I've had.

37. croush

Trader

I have to agree. I took a bottle to DLD and I (as well as a few others) were quite impressed by it. Obviously it's big, but it didn't drink too big or heavy.

38. strohme2

strohme2 Meyvn (1,078) Nov 3, 2007 Michigan
    Trader

Good to hear. I'll be sharing with friends in NC next week.

39. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

Definitely share with friends, and take it slow. This one will mess you up.

40. strohme2

strohme2 Meyvn (1,078) Nov 3, 2007 Michigan
    Trader

I made that mistake with the first one :wink:. Soooo drinkable.

Tripel_Threat likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.