Beer Release (Short's Brew): Goodnight Bodacious

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by ColonelHopslam, Mar 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColonelHopslam

ColonelHopslam Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2014 Michigan

Bottles available now at the pub, distro likely this week or next(I assume, right?)

Goodnight Bodacious is probably the best mutha fuckin black IPA that any of you beergeeks will ever get your hands on. Goodnight Bodacious has the maltiness of a barleywine and the hoppiness of an India Pale Ale, sure to tickle your tastebone. A rich, hoppiness dominates the aroma, with earthy and loamy scents that will make your mother in law want to do backflips. A medium body presents big, bitter black barley and roasted coffee flavors, with subtle compliments of dark fruit and green hops. Strong alcohol flavors and pleasant warming qualities become more noticeable as the beer approaches room temperature, so don't go chugging this beer you silly lush.

9% ABV
    90 IBU

[​IMG]

2. borto1ms

borto1ms Initiate (0) Sep 18, 2013 Michigan

The whole time I read this with Roddy Pipers voice in my head and it made it that much better. So glad this brew comes back year after year.

3. Tracker83

Tracker83 Zealot (502) Jun 26, 2012 Michigan
    Trader

Not as good as Bludgeon, but still a great beer!

4. BEERschlitz

BEERschlitz Initiate (0) Oct 13, 2013 Michigan

Anyone else vote the Colonel to be full time Short's announcer-guy? (Unless I missed something and he already is).
    Cuz this make me lol and thirsty at the same time!

5. hardysf

hardysf Devotee (401) Mar 17, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

This beer is fantastic. Even good with some age on it too once the hops fall off. I'll be buying at least one sixer.

6. MadLatvian

MadLatvian Initiate (0) Feb 8, 2015 Michigan

So fired up for this one, my favorite 2015 release. So glad it was voted back in the 2016 mix! And yes, tremendous jon on the announcement.

7. red94tt

red94tt Disciple (371) Nov 27, 2008 Michigan
    Trader

This is a personal top 3 IPA from our state, can't freaking wait:sunglasses:

Aye, I'll contribute a vote for this.

MIbeer27 likes this.
  8. Cotton_27

Cotton_27 Zealot (505) Feb 22, 2013 Michigan
    Trader

Tasting mighty fine again this year I must say!

[​IMG]

9. ClarkstonMark

ClarkstonMark Initiate (103) Feb 21, 2016 Michigan
    Trader

In stores today, grabbed a 6 pack while I was picking up 1 bottle of KBS :slight_smile:

10. Tripel_Threat

Tripel_Threat Poo-Bah (3,072) Jun 29, 2014 Michigan
    Society Trader

I was still depressed Captain Fantasy didn't win, but I'm pretty sure @ColonelHopslam made the case for Bodacious. Also, I'm a sucker for a Primus reference.

11. Tlab3

Tlab3 Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2013 Michigan

God-damn beautiful write up and review! Voted numerous times for this beer and look forward to drinking in volume throughout spring and summer. To echo what others said, this beer is still a tasty beast with some time on it. Found one on a singles shelf late last fall and really thought it had some chocolate goodness to it. Long live Goodnight Bodacious!

12. ClarkstonMark

ClarkstonMark Initiate (103) Feb 21, 2016 Michigan
    Trader

Had this tonight and I loved it.

13. BWichmann74

BWichmann74 Initiate (103) Sep 27, 2014 Michigan

Bottling date of 2/08.... Noticed this trend with the Snake Juice as well. Looks like Shorts is getting these special release beers bottles far ahead of distribution dates. Not a huge deal, but a bit of a bummer when local IPA's are just hitting the shelves 6 weeks after bottling.

Anyone know if this is a new trend with Shorts or if this has been typical for awhile now?

14. red94tt

Trader

I know last year, it seemed like Shorts stuff was coming in a lot fresher/quicker. I remember bottles were showing up at my local shop within a week or two of coming off the line. Definitely seems weird that some releases have been slower to show up after bottling this year, maybe someone goofed up the date setting and it's a month behind, lol:grinning:

#14 red94tt, Mar 23, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
    MIbeer27 likes this.
  15. MIbeer27

MIbeer27 Aspirant (232) Jul 26, 2014 Michigan

In the past, they were almost always within 2 weeks. I have always loved this about Short's - freshness! Especially for IPAs. But starting around the time they began distributing out of state, things started showing up later. I'll continue to buy, but hopefully they get this back to the way things were.

Billydoughnuts and red94tt like this.
  16. red94tt

Trader

Agreed, I'm optimistic it's just growing pains:sunglasses:

MIbeer27 likes this.
  17. Billydoughnuts

Billydoughnuts Aspirant (202) Feb 22, 2015 Michigan

Seems like the freshest brew they've released in the past 4ish months was Superfluid, which to me is the most important one anyway.

ColonelHopslam likes this.
  18. steebo777

steebo777 Devotee (411) Jun 30, 2009 Michigan

I heard it was just to prepare for distro to the other states started recently, so they prepared some of these specialty releases a bit earlier than normal. I'm fine with it as all taste great still and Superfluid was fresh and dank tasting as required!

19. BeyondDescription

BeyondDescription Disciple (315) Feb 9, 2009 Vermont
    Trader

Heck, I like Goodnight with a good year on it.

Brianw508 likes this.
  20. MadLatvian

MadLatvian Initiate (0) Feb 8, 2015 Michigan

Had one yesterday, tasting awesome. So pumped it's back. Might have to get another 6-pack

21. hopnado

hopnado Devotee (417) Aug 13, 2014 Michigan

Drinking Bodacious now and jesus is it tasty. It's tasting better than I remember, might have to adjust my previous Ba score on this one. It makes Car Ramrod feel like a Busch Light

BeyondDescription likes this.
  22. ScottatShorts

ScottatShorts Initiate (64) Jul 26, 2013 Michigan

We are careful to brew the specialties at the appropriate time. Certain products are made fresh while some are better with some time on them. Goodnight is one of those as well as the upcoming Mr Fusion and Melt My Brain. Hopstache is after that and would be better fresher as was Superfluid which we tried to get on the shelve within a week so even with delay in purchase and ultimate consumption it would still be awesome.

Of course we always want you to enjoy the experience so let customer service know if you ever have any issues.

Thanks

Scott at Shorts

23. Brianw508

Brianw508 Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2013 Michigan

i can't wait for the WHAT DO YOU KNOW posts lol. if there wasn't a date on the bottle 95% wouldn't even notice a difference. oh well, i love goodnight. one of, if not the, best black ipa's out regardless of state.

24. BeyondDescription

Trader

Bought a 6pk last night. Whew, it's a monster.

red94tt likes this.
  25. DrinktotheDead

DrinktotheDead Initiate (0) Feb 11, 2014 Michigan
    Deactivated

This years seems less hoppy and a slicker thicker mouthfeel.

The first BDIPA I had was Arcadia's B-Craft Black, by my memory it's just as good if not better/hoppier and the only Arcadia beer I give a shit about. That being said, I haven't seen it on a shelf in a year.

26. midmichmatt

midmichmatt Initiate (158) Mar 22, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

I only grabbed a couple, but will be going back to buy more. I forgot how good it was. #blackipasmatter

Tripel_Threat, hopnado and red94tt like this.
  27. Tracker83

Tracker83 Zealot (502) Jun 26, 2012 Michigan
    Trader

This beer is FANTASTIC. Waaaaay better than I remember. I take back what I said earlier about this not being as good as bludgeon.

hopnado likes this.
  28. hopnado

hopnado Devotee (417) Aug 13, 2014 Michigan

Drinking one now. Just adjusted my previous score of 4.25 to a a 4.43. This years version is badass, more silky smooth than I remember

29. BWichmann74

Scott,

Thank you for your response. Nice to see you guys are active in the Forums. Also nice to know I can simply get answers to any Shorts related questions directly from customer service rather than raising questions through the Forum. I'll do this in the future!!!

30. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

Such a great ales, but damn do i have to the a nap after one. Packing a punch this year.

31. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

So, I picked up four bottles (so far) : two to drink, one to share, and one to cellar for later and see what happens. Anyone have an opinion on how long I should hokd onto it? I'm thinking a year, but don't know if I can resist that long.

32. BaseballNBeer

BaseballNBeer Initiate (126) Apr 22, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

I just found one well hidden in my basement that was a couple years old. It was smooth and delicious. I was wary going in, but losing the beer paid dividends.

I just bought a sixer tonight and can't wait to try one from this year's batch tomorrow night.

33. BeyondDescription

Trader

Best batch of all time. My opinion.

strohme2 and schepelz like this.
  34. DrinktotheDead

Deactivated

Less hoppy than last years for sure, but thicker and smoother.

MIbeer27 likes this.
  35. MostlyMichiganBeerReview

MostlyMichiganBeerReview Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2015 Michigan

One year is prefect.

36. MostlyMichiganBeerReview

MostlyMichiganBeerReview Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2015 Michigan

I absolutely love this beer. So creamy, smooth, and hoppy. It seems more like a hoppy stout than a Double black ipa.

37. DrinktotheDead

Deactivated

Why the hell would you age a non bottle conditioned IPA?. It will only lose flavor.....

38. BWichmann74

Not sure if you've tried Oddside Car Ramrod, but if you think Goodnight Bodacious is smooth and creamy, then give this one a shot while it is somewhat fresh. I love both beers, but the malt of Car Ramrod is just liike a smooth stout. The beer doesn't taste as "big" as Goodnight Bodacoius, but drinks very nice for a BDIPA.

39. ScottatShorts

ScottatShorts Initiate (64) Jul 26, 2013 Michigan

Mr Fusion and Melt My Brain were packaged ahead about 4 weeks from their release date, those two mainly because they actually need about a month or so to balance out the Mint and Lime respectively.

Going forward everything will now be packaged within 3 weeks of release, unless more time is desirable of course. We have not started brewing Hopstache yet which will likely be released May 7th and it takes a few weeks to ferment so that will be closer to 2.

40. MittenBrews

MittenBrews Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2015 North Carolina

Hopstache... :grinning:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.