Beer Release (Short's Brew) Mr. Fusion

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by Tripel_Threat, Apr 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tripel_Threat

Tripel_Threat Poo-Bah (3,072) Jun 29, 2014 Michigan
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

It's April and we’re less than one month out fromThe Short’s Anni Party XII! In honor of this upcoming and momentous occasion, we’re throwing it back to our 11th Anniversary Extravaganza with the bottle release of Mr. Fusion, a Green Tea and Mint IPA, which made its debut at our big party in the street last year.

Mr. Fusion (4.9 % ABV – 71 IBU) is a green tea and mint infused India Pale Ale with light, sweet lemon-lime aromas. Golden in color, this beer has bright green and grassy hop flavors followed by pleasant hints of mint. A good sized bitterness builds and lingers, before ultimately finishing clean.

You don’t have to hop in your DeLorean to enjoy this fresh, herbal experience in your mouth. Just make a trip to your favorite Michigan store to pick up a six-pack of Mr. Fusion.

2. Billydoughnuts

Billydoughnuts Aspirant (202) Feb 22, 2015 Michigan

Thanks for the heads up @Tripel_Threat, and much appreciated.

Don't want to be a dick but I was hoping @ColonelHopslam was taking this job over :slight_smile:

Tripel_Threat likes this.
  3. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

Heh, no worries. It's hard to compete with his Bodacious intro. Unfortunately this one was pub-only last year during the Anniversary Party so I don't know how many back flips grandma's gonna do for it. Lemme try something else:

Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads. Because after a few blasts of Mr. Fusion to your suckhole yer not gonna see the fuckin roads. Because it'll all just be a blur of lightning and crackling electricity made up of tea leaves and mint. This shit is gonna leave twin fire trails of citrusy hop cone goodness down your throat. Be sure to wear yer bullet proof vests picking this one up, cause the Libyans are after this release, too!

4. hopnado

hopnado Devotee (417) Aug 13, 2014 Michigan

Great Scott!!!...That's the spirit!

5. whatsleftofyou

whatsleftofyou Aspirant (215) Mar 12, 2006 Michigan

I bought a sixer of this yesterday and it's...ok. I was really excited to get it because my wife loves tea, but I think it's overly bitter for what it is. I love you Short's, but not everything is destined to be an IPA.

On a similar note, I'll be hitting up Short's less than a week before the Ann'y party. Hopefully they have some cool stuff on tap, and not saving it all for the party.

FaradayUncaged and JohnnyHopps like this.
  6. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Poo-Bah (2,858) Jun 15, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

Appreciate the heads up, it saves me a trip.

7. Jonl0424

Jonl0424 Initiate (97) May 23, 2015 Michigan

Yet another pass on the shorts beer of the week

a2rob likes this.
  8. FaradayUncaged

FaradayUncaged Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2014 Michigan

Saw this in the grocery store earlier and balked at the idea of a sixer, but I definitely wouldn't mind trying a single bottle. I'll be on the lookout.

9. Tracker83

Tracker83 Zealot (502) Jun 26, 2012 Michigan
    Trader

Um, this is labeled as an IPA, and you're knocking it because it tastes like an IPA?

10. ColonelHopslam

ColonelHopslam Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2014 Michigan

I don't really mind this beer. It's clean, the mint is most prevalent but not too intense, and the tea is really subtle. Definitely not for everyone, but worth a try. I am forced to buy a sixer of any release that's new so I can add to my ever growing shorts garage collage.

11. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,678) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

How many do you have in your collage? I have over 100 but I can't get my spreadsheet to open on this cranky pc to give you an exact number right now.

12. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

@ColonelHopslam @Mothergoose03 Thank God, I can tell my wife I'm not the only one who does this. I only have 26 in my collection so far. She asks me what I plan on doing with them, and I have no idea yet. I was thinking of making a map of Michigan with them, but that's a little cliché. I also thought of making a counter top out of them for some cabinets in my basement. The only thing I've used them for so far is this:[​IMG]

Mr Fusion and Melt My Brain are going to be great additions.

VABA and PapaGoose03 like this.
  13. whatsleftofyou

whatsleftofyou Aspirant (215) Mar 12, 2006 Michigan

Not at all. When I said "overly bitter for what it is", I was referring to it being a green tea/mint beer, not that it's an IPA. I can see where I could've been more clear on that.

hopnado and Tracker83 like this.
  14. ColonelHopslam

ColonelHopslam Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2014 Michigan

64, started sometime in 2013 I think

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  15. MostlyMichiganBeerReview

MostlyMichiganBeerReview Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2015 Michigan

[​IMG]
    I did this with some of my boxes~

16. BeyondDescription

BeyondDescription Disciple (315) Feb 9, 2009 Vermont
    Trader

Interesting, I'm looking forward to trying this in a bottle. I did enjoy it on tap last year.

17. hopnado

Hit my local shop on Wednesday with a bottle date of 02/17/16...WTF?
    Tastes okay until the extreme bitterness takes over and ruins the beer.
    Glad I only bought a single, won't be buying more

2016 Short's is what sports teams refer to as 'a rebuilding year'. Very mediocre so far

18. BeyondDescription

Trader

FWIW, Scott mentioned the code date situation in the Goodnight thread.

MIbeer27 likes this.
  19. hopnado

Did Scott recommend aging Bonafide Legit for 5 months before releasing, or ContriversiAle for 3 months? Stale hops aren't really what people look for in an IPA

20. BeyondDescription

Trader

No offense, but you have know idea what it's like to run a brewery of this size, and I'm guessing most likely any for that matter. I'm not saying your views don't hold value, but I can assure you we do our best to release beers at the right time. On occasion, though, it's not perfect. Our track record for the past few years has been pretty decent, overall. Forecasting and the market in general are not cookie cutter equations. I hope you can somewhat understand. If not, that is your right.

Tracker83 likes this.
  21. hopnado

Even though I don't operate a brewery, I have the mental capacity to know that producing beers for the 'Michigan Only' fall variety pack of 2015 should be distributed to Michigan during the fall of 2015 and not sent out to new markets(Illinois and Pennsylvania) during the spring of 2016. Bad decision there, no offense but that was some old ass beer!

P.S. any idea on the price of the newly formatted Anni bombers? Just trying to get a ballpark figure on how much of a price gouge we should expect

22. BeyondDescription

Trader

Thank you for the feedback. As far as Anny, I don't personally know the exact price at this moment, but I'm sure it will be announced soon. We all look forward to you complaining once it's released. :wink:

Aw, look at me. "Just when I thought I was out..they pull me back in." lol..

MrPlayboy, Tracker83 and PapaGoose03 like this.
  23. MIbeer27

MIbeer27 Aspirant (232) Jul 26, 2014 Michigan

I'm not happy with the freshness issues either, but as @HopHeadHerman stated, Scott addressed this in the Goodnight Bodacious thread (including Mr. Fusion specifically). I'm at least willing to give them chance to improve, instead of trashing them at every opportunity before they even have the chance to do so.

P.S. Love seeing Huma in cans!

24. hopnado

If there is the typical 200%+ markup due to the nifty bigass bottle , I/others most definitely should complain. Fanboy love doesn't make you a better brewery, it's the people that let you know when you're fucking up that should hold the most weight. 2016 has been a mess at Short's, that's pretty obvious. I've been a fan from the mid 2000's and just hate what I'm seeing this year. If you guys wanted to make a splash in your new market, you should have hit in 2014

25. hopnado

way to not even acknowledge the variety pack, ContriversiAle, or the anni bomber gouge. "Chance to improve"??? They're not new to the game. It's different business tactics put in place to bolster profits at the expense of the consumer. Incomprehensible how someone could support a less fresh product and a blatantly obvious price increase

#25 hopnado, Apr 9, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  26. Cotton_27

Cotton_27 Zealot (505) Feb 22, 2013 Michigan
    Trader

Anyone know if there will be another sampler, or if this is the last one we'll see, i don't see another one on the release schedule.

27. hopnado

If they're going to let them sit around for 5 months before releasing them like they did with the fall pack, I hope it's the last one

cetherid likes this.
  28. szmnnl99

szmnnl99 Crusader (765) Apr 3, 2006 Michigan

I've been a huge Short's fan but I am definitely disappointed in the latest developments. I loved Short's because of:
    1) Everything in reasonably priced 6 packs (no $10 to $20 bombers)
    2) Michigan only (no lines and easy to find)
    3) Innovative and lots of variety

They lost 1 and 2 but I'll still buy some of their beers but they are not getting a loyalty bonus out of me anymore.

JohnnyHopps and hopnado like this.
  29. hopnado

cough*bullshit*cough

@HopHeadHerman

BeyondDescription likes this.
  30. hopnado

@HopHeadHerman o.k. do you know the approximate cost per 6 pack of anni from 2015? Cheers :wink:

#30 hopnado, Apr 9, 2016
  31. BeyondDescription

Trader

A check your ass can't cash- this year. Keep savin'.:wink:

32. BeyondDescription

Trader

#1. Still the same, BESIDES the Bombers.
    #2. If you're looking for something not-easy to find, let me know.
    #3. still stands.

33. hopnado

Pathetic bush league response which completely falls in line with Short's new business model. Best of luck :confused:

Question dodger level: supreme(f****** lame)

#33 hopnado, Apr 9, 2016
  34. schepelz

schepelz Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2013 Michigan

While I understand your frustration, It would be wonderful to have just one Short's release thread without you taking it over and complaining about the distro to Illinois or the pricing on the bombers.

That being said, I picked up a single of this one and look forward to enjoying tonight. Interestin Flavors going into this IPA, not sure how they'll taste but look forward to another interesting recipe by Shorts.

MIbeer27 likes this.
  35. szmnnl99

szmnnl99 Crusader (765) Apr 3, 2006 Michigan

I hesitate to respond as HopHeadHerman is the best ambassador for a brewer on BA. You take a lot of heat and always respond professionally even when calling out someone is justified.

That being said, "BESIDES the Bombers" matters to me. Short's couldn't find an in between price for BB Magician/Pinball Whispers/Batch 5000/Alicornicopia between a $12/6pack and a $50+/6pack(equiv per ounce)? It doesn't make Short's any worse than most breweries but they are no longer better. I love Anniversary Ale but now i'd be forced to drink effectively 2+ >10% beers at most likely 2 to 4 times the cost, no thanks.

To stay on topic a bit, I will definitely try to grab a single of Mr. Fusion. Not sure what I expect but worth a shot.

BeyondDescription likes this.
  36. hopnado

They produced beer for the fall variety pack and let it sit for 5 months before selling to customers! I will always call out shady crap like that, it's a gift of mine

37. schepelz

schepelz Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2013 Michigan

Understood. It would just be nice to not have every release thread hijacked by your annoyance in some of the business decisions made.

38. hopnado

It would also be nice if more people would voice their grievances when breweries do stupid stuff instead of just stroking their egos. If nobody says anything they will probably keep pulling the same bullshit the have been for the last 5 or 6 months. Ignoring it won't make the problem go away

39. BWichmann74

BWichmann74 Initiate (103) Sep 27, 2014 Michigan

I for one am just fine with certain beers being in bombers. I, if course, don't like paying the $/oz over six packs.

When breweries make small, specialty batches, a bomber is understandable. For those of us that were lucky enough to get a Batch 5000 bomber, can you imagine how much harder it would have been if they only had six packs???

Now, larger batches, like Stone Enjoy by, this I feel should be offered in 6 packs - like it is occasionally now.

It's not like Shorts is taking all of their specialty releases throughout the year and only offering them in Bombers to be more profitable......

40. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Poo-Bah (2,858) Jun 15, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

I don't necessarily disagree. But when the beer is bad, people will talk with their wallets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.