Beer Release (Short's Brew): Vintage Premium Lager

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by BeyondDescription, Mar 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeyondDescription

BeyondDescription Disciple (315) Feb 9, 2009 Vermont
    Trader

Well, I DID say I'd chime in from time to time. Honestly, the reason I'm getting the word out is because-

A. It's draught only for now, but cans should follow, eventually. Maybe even larger skus like 24pks...

B. Kegs are priced on par or BELOW Bud Light.

So, let your local watering hole know- you don't have to put on a domestic light lager anymore if price is the determining factor! Keep those macros in the cooler under the bar and put a Michigan beer on tap! Join the macro by micro revolution!

[​IMG]

2. Cotton_27

Cotton_27 Zealot (505) Feb 22, 2013 Michigan
    Trader

Crushed this beer the summer it was in bottles, looking forward to cans!

MIbeer27 likes this.
  3. hopnado

hopnado Devotee (417) Aug 13, 2014 Michigan

Out of the 80 Short's beer I've had, this one ranks in at #79.

2014 Short's lineup was phenomenal
    2015 Short's lineup was nearly as phenomenal
    2016 Short's lineup/decisions just seem disappointing and out of character

Kinda makes me wonder if there has been personnel changes on the business end. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Apparently it was broken?

JohnnyHopps likes this.
  4. Tracker83

Tracker83 Zealot (502) Jun 26, 2012 Michigan
    Trader

Seems like an odd complaint when discussing a beer that was part of the 2014 lineup. A 2014 beer gets re-released in 2016 and you lament that the 2016 releases aren't as good as the 2014 beers? As for the rest of the beers on this year's schedule, there are a lot of them I've never had before so I think it's a bit early for me to pass judgement on the 2016 beers as a whole. That Batch 5000 alone leads me to believe they're off to a good start...

5. Tracker83

Tracker83 Zealot (502) Jun 26, 2012 Michigan
    Trader

Sean, do you know what the difference is between Vintage and Locals? More rice/adjuncts in Vintage, or something else?

Gemini6 likes this.
  6. BeyondDescription

Trader

It's brewed more like a macro-style lager, yes. And more of a direct competitor.

7. hopnado

Not every player on a team is an all-star. Not every beer on the 2014 lineup was good but overall it was an awesome year. I find unwaivering fanboy blindness pretty cheesy. Short's is one of my favorite breweries but I don't feel obligated to give false positive reviews of ALL their beers. I haven't been wowed in 2016 so far...like I was in 2014. My opinion.

P.S. London Fog was great

#7 hopnado, Mar 19, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
    JohnnyHopps likes this.
  8. hopnado

That $22 bomber leads me to believe they're headed in the wrong direction...

szmnnl99 and Gemini6 like this.
  9. red94tt

red94tt Disciple (371) Nov 27, 2008 Michigan
    Trader

Man, I hope you were getting this worked up over Shorts bomber prices when they were doing $20 Private Stache releases at their pub. Stop treating B5000 like it's some sort of out-of-control, downward spiral.

10. Gemini6

Gemini6 Devotee (494) Oct 5, 2013 Michigan

I am hoping this is somehow brewed next year around the end of summer. I would love to serve this at my wedding in mid-September.

11. schepelz

schepelz Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2013 Michigan

As you've mentioned in about every short's thread since that release...

Now to get back on track... Look forward to trying this one again!

MIbeer27 and red94tt like this.
  12. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Poo-Bah (2,858) Jun 15, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

I totally get where you are coming from. It is fair for the Shorts guys to defend their product. At the same time, core beers I love like London Fog and Spruce Pilsner have disappeared. I haven't driven to Michigan for Shorts since Cup a Joe. I don't know when I will again. It is easy to understand disenchantment with the Short's line up.

hopnado and cetherid like this.
  13. MIbeer27

MIbeer27 Aspirant (232) Jul 26, 2014 Michigan

24 packs would be a game changer, especially if priced in the vicinity of other macro beers.

Cotton_27 likes this.
  14. hopnado

It's like bread in a bottle

15. a_beckman25

a_beckman25 Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2013 Michigan

Seems to be no criticism is welcome in the Shorts threads. People quickly get pounced on which is disappointing. My only suggestion would be to stop buying it instead of trying to voice ur opinion, it gets no where and I feel isn't even taken into consideration. Shorts makes some very good beers but also some very mediocre beers. I also remember asking a year back if shorts would ever can any of there beers. I believe @HopHeadHerman replied something along the lines of " you can take a glass bottle anywhere u can take an aluminum can" and personally didn't want his beer touching an aluminum can. Which I 100% respect his opinion on what he wants his beer in. I guess my problem is why can't Shorts supporters/reps handle any criticism or suggestions? Seems like they are quickly squashed/denied. Possibly correlated with the fact the Michigan Only Michigan Forever is a thing of the past? I'm a Michigan supporter 100% but I really appreciate breweries like Pipeworks that really take in feedback from their customers.

DrinktotheDead, landrewg and hopnado like this.
  16. hopnado

Nowadays just take their word with a grain of salt I guess...

[​IMG]

17. landrewg

landrewg Initiate (156) Nov 11, 2008 Michigan
    Trader

It's broke now for sure.

hopnado likes this.
  18. BeyondDescription

Trader

I remember saying that I prefer a bottle over a can but the rest I don't.. perhaps I did and was thinking on more of a grander scale of locations.

I have my own criticisms and I appreciate all suggestions from our fans.

schepelz and Cotton_27 like this.
  19. strohme2

strohme2 Meyvn (1,078) Nov 3, 2007 Michigan
    Trader

IMO, Locals Light is a MUCH better beer than Vintage and is produced year round.

Gemini6 likes this.
  20. MostlyMichiganBeerReview

MostlyMichiganBeerReview Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2015 Michigan

I tried Vintage Lager in 2014, but was turned off by the Sulfur smell. Is that smell still present? I'll definitely give it another try though.

21. Tripel_Threat

Tripel_Threat Poo-Bah (3,072) Jun 29, 2014 Michigan
    Society Trader

Bartender: "What'll it be, buddy?"
    Jim: "Coors Light. "
    Bartender: "Sure thing"
    Voice over: What Jim doesn't know is that we've replaced his Coors Light with Short's Vintage Premium Lager. A macro-by-micro light beer, it's sure to please the most discerning BMC drinker.
    Bartender: "How's that beer working for you?"
    Jim: "Great! You know, it's nice to have a cold one at the end of the day. Just a solid beer, not like those fancy froo-froo beers that the kids like these days."
    Bartender: "What if I told you that's not Coors Light you're drinking, but a premium light lager made by one of those froo-froo brewers?"
    Jim: "Whaaaaaaa!?"
    *Jim immediately starts shotgunning Huma Lupa and calling stores for KBS availability *

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.