Beer Reviews that annoy you

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by HopHunter19, Jun 1, 2016.

1. HopHunter19

HopHunter19 Crusader (714) May 2, 2015 Missouri
    Beer Trader

I'm not talking about here on BA. I mean more in person or on video. What's the most annoying thing when you watch a review or see someone reviewing a beer that really grinds your gears? You know... like when someone aggressively swirls their glass and then smells the shit out of it like they're trying to drink it through their nose. So yea, I guess that would be my thing.

Posting this for entertainment, not looking to start any blog brawls.

2. akolb

akolb Crusader (709) Aug 8, 2015 Colorado
    Beer Trader

When people rate a beer poorly just because they don't like the style. If you know you don't like the style, don't review it.

#2 akolb, Jun 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  3. OldRickSputin

OldRickSputin Aspirant (262) Jan 7, 2014 Illinois

Ive never been annoyed.

But i dont believe price should be considered when judging/rating/reviewing a beer.

4. raynmoon

raynmoon Crusader (743) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I know one specific YouTuber who does this. Doesn't like the style, still reviews it and gives it a poor rating. He also only praises East Coast beer and says all the stuff from California is "from the past" and "inferior."

It's homerism and biased opinion at its finest.

artemicion, Sheppard, Lahey and 19 others like this.
  5. Comparison_Ford

Comparison_Ford Disciple (328) Apr 4, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

I like Beer Geek Nation because the videos are polished and succinct, but I don't like Beer Geek Nation because Chris Steltz is so predictable/formulaic/has the most punchable face I've ever seen.

I like Greg's Beer Reviews because Greg seems like a down-to-earth dude who just likes to drink any beer that comes his way, but I don't like Greg's Beer Reviews due to his 15+ minute videos and his inability to shut up about bottling dates. We all agree with you, Greg...we just lost interest after the third rant you did on the subject and here you are on rant #2300. Don't make your viewers collateral damage.

6. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,307) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Premium Member Beer Trader

Bwah! Life must be so tough for guys like that, living in their own little bubble :grinning:.

7. sinkas

sinkas Aspirant (206) Jul 9, 2008 Australia
    Beer Trader

Uptappd:
    " tastes terrible,
    these guys need to learn how to brew, but maybe it kinda okay" 4.5 stars

8. AMDDD

AMDDD Initiate (0) Sep 18, 2014 Texas

Iono I don't listen to most reviews of anything, because everything is subjective. Everyone raves about IPA's but id rather drink cough syrup. But what I do hate, not so much reviews, but pretentious beer/food snobs in general. Oh I would never drink a beer unless a virgin maiden brewed it with Icelandic seawater high in Himalayan mountains served with a side of dolphin steak and unicorn tears. Sorry I like good beer and I like good food, but there is nothing wrong with a late night Budweiser filled followed by a run to steak and shake. there is time and place to be fancy and pretentious and enjoying life's small pleasures isn't one of them!

9. raynmoon

Beer Trader

It is. It's a crazy life out there. My thoughts are with the families.

10. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (1,840) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi

For me it's not annoyance so much as impatience. The subject is beer and some reviews seem to have trouble sticking to the subject.

11. AlienSwineFlu

AlienSwineFlu Disciple (384) Dec 14, 2012 Ohio
    Beer Trader

People on Untappd that rate beers super low because they're not into the style- happens with sours a lot. People who know they don't like sours rate 3F Gueze as like a 1.5 and it drives me crazy. Personally, I don't really like scotch ale/wee heavy beers so when I try one, I check it in without giving it a rating at all.

12. Wiffler27

Wiffler27 Meyvn (1,202) Aug 16, 2009 New Jersey

i was drinking Boat Beer on tap and my family is used to me drinking IPAs so they go, "that looks light, i might even like that. is it an IPA" so i explained it's a 4.2% pale ale.

they tried it and said "ehh it's ok but it's not Coors light".

no matter what beer i drink and/or brew their baseline is Coors Light so i'll never drink "anything good".

13. PorterPro125

PorterPro125 Champion (802) Jan 19, 2013 New Brunswick (Canada)

I've seen way too many reviews that don't offer anything valuable to the readers.

14. Sponan

Sponan Aspirant (222) Jan 20, 2008 Tennessee

I used to get annoyed with reviews on Untappd. Now I try to just laugh at the reviews and/or the people who wrote them. Certainly not noble on my part, but there are so many with no clue believing they are experts.

15. lester619

lester619 Zealot (529) Apr 17, 2009 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

These people are hilarious and at the same time a little pitiable. Their sense of importance is so out whack, they don't seem to realize that literally anyone could do what they are doing and they have no special skill or talent whatsoever. Get some fresh air and kiss a girl as my uncle would say.

RBassSFHOPit2ME, Shanex and TongoRad like this.
  16. TwoTrees

TwoTrees Disciple (352) Oct 31, 2012 Washington

Man...thank goodness we don't have any of that on BA! [Cue weekly regional IPA argument]

Gemini6, papposilenus, JrGtr and 12 others like this.
  17. Pantalones

Pantalones Devotee (492) Nov 14, 2014 Virginia

Or on the opposite end of the spectrum (which I've seen on here way more often than the "this is terrible, 4.5 stars!" version)... almost entirely positive review, then the scores are all 2 to 2.5 or maybe 3 at best. "This is pretty good... let's give it an overall rating of 'poor.'"

18. FBGordon

FBGordon Devotee (407) May 15, 2012 Florida
    Beer Trader

Ha, no kidding! That's one of the main reasons I don't use Untapped. That and complete unfamiliarity with the style.

Session IPA: "Not very hoppy. 2.5"
    RIS: "Tastes like burnt coffee. At least there's booze. 2.0"
    Brett Ale: "Smells weird and gross. 1.0"

19. raynmoon

Beer Trader

I just saw recently "its ok, not the best" with a 5 star rating.

Probably still have a photo of it on my phone.

20. raynmoon

Beer Trader

Never mind. I just saw the photo.

"10/10 would have again." 4.5/5 stars.

Could have been a little tipsy and mistyped the star rating.

However, "would have again" doesn't seem like a 10/10 rating.

tanis38, Lahey and woemad like this.
  21. Angerhaus

Angerhaus Crusader (711) Oct 1, 2015 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Any review that contains the word "crushable."

Gemini6, LarryV, GaryColeman and 18 others like this.
  22. jzeilinger

jzeilinger Poo-Bah (5,415) Dec 4, 2004 Pennsylvania

Agree. Respect the beer and spend time behind the scenes learning the nuances of the style. I've reviewed some beers in the past where I wasn't a fan of the style but later on went back and changed the review after trying the beer again (in a positive way) when I developed a better appreciation.

RaulMondesi, OffTrail, Sak3 and 7 others like this.
  23. MFMB

MFMB Savant (977) Jan 23, 2015 Idaho
    Beer Trader

Hmm whenever the words "pee" "piss" or "urine" are incorporated into a review it kinda bugs me...maybe not bugs, just leaves me a little weirded out that so many people who have tried bud light have also tried urine.

24. Adrena1ine

Adrena1ine Aspirant (285) Nov 22, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Anytime I see the word "Dank".. pick something else. Saying its "Dank" serves absolutely no purpose and explains nothing.

25. MFMB

MFMB Savant (977) Jan 23, 2015 Idaho
    Beer Trader

But Stone Enjoy By 420 was soooo digity dank :wink:

26. Caj1

Caj1 Aspirant (281) Jul 2, 2013 Texas

"Well, there's something wrong with this beer that was out of the brewery's control, but I'll give it a bad review anyway!"

Not naming names, but I've seen this behavior on BA as well.

woemad likes this.
  27. mudbug

mudbug Defender (612) Mar 27, 2009 Oregon

"This is not my favorite style but I liked it, the bartender was nice and it made my day to have such a nice beer"
    Reviews that reach the minimum lenght without saying one single thing about the beer. This is common

28. thepenguin

thepenguin Devotee (432) Aug 8, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

When raters confuse feel with flavor. I see way too many reviews where people talk about the flavor characteristics of a beer's finish in the section they've specifically assigned to mouthfeel. The only thing that has a "tropical" feel is easy-listening reggae folks.

29. Caj1

Caj1 Aspirant (281) Jul 2, 2013 Texas

"This beer feels very tropical, would pair well with Jimmy Buffett."

30. unhyped

unhyped Initiate (146) Feb 13, 2015 Oregon

When someone rates an infected beer.

31. Pantalones

Pantalones Devotee (492) Nov 14, 2014 Virginia

I think "10/10 would [insert word here] again" is one of those things that very, very uncreative people on the Internet copy-and-paste all over the place rather than... well, saying something in their own words.

woemad likes this.
  32. nerdboy19

nerdboy19 Disciple (310) Sep 20, 2015 Korea (South)
    Beer Trader

I just rate the beer with my opinion so I usually get lagers underated and sours overated but again, when I drink more and more of the style I feel like learning what a good beer. I rated Franziskaner as high as some Cantillons and I wouldnt have done that if I hadnt had lots of weizens(even I'm not a big fan of the style). I first rated duvel very low, but after a year Duvel became one of my favorite daily beer. What I want to say is, I think its ok to rate low by the style, but it would be better if he/she try the beer again one day. Went too far from to topic? :wink:

33. teromous

teromous Poo-Bah (1,568) Mar 21, 2010 Virginia

For written reviews I am not a fan of people who constantly try to make their reviews sound funny. It reads like cheap drunken standup and in the end I have no idea how the beer really smells or tastes.

For video reviews there is always a person who takes one sniff or one sip and then quickly lists 15 things, usually the ones listed on the label, that they can instantly pick up. I have seen people mention Greg and one thing I really like about his reviews is how much time he takes with the beer and how he only mentions what he tastes...not what is listed on the label.

34. icetrauma

icetrauma Devotee (483) Sep 7, 2004 Texas

When someone rates beers and they are all 4.0 and above.

35. dennis3951

dennis3951 Champion (825) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I get annoyed when what a person writes about a beer does not seem to match the score they give it. I notice this a lot with lagers. Reviewers say great things about the beer but score it less than 4. I guess it might be that they are comparing beers across styles.

36. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (1,928) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium Member

Some folks hear about or stumble across a beer review phone app, install it, and do reviews not because an interest in beer, but because there is an app for reviewing anything. To some, beer reviews are social commentary vs a real interest. I guess we should not complain as long as they are supporting the craft beer market, and since some of them are bound to develop a true interest and become knowledgeable.

woemad and utopiajane like this.
  37. djuhnk

djuhnk Initiate (161) Aug 28, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

When people are clearly sampling the whole tap list at a brewery and rating based off samples.

When someone the day after a beer festival checks in every beer they tried the night before and gives every one a 3.5 rating because they can't remember what any of them tasted like.

When people rate beers that they subjectively don't like because of style preferences.
    Rating is about telling other people how well made a beer is, not about which styles you prefer.

38. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,414) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

Don't care where you bought it. Don't care about the day you're having, where you are as you drink, who else is with you as you drink. Don't care how the weather is there. And if you use the words I and/or me in any other category except for "overall" you are doing it wrong. Reviews are about the beer. How does it look, how does it smell, how does it taste, how's the mouthfeel and how do they compare to style guidelines, leave it there please.

39. Kevin67

Kevin67 Disciple (342) Feb 8, 2015 Arkansas
    Beer Trader

The words dank, juicy, crushable, sessionable, etc. in a review. Buy a thesaurus. Hell, they even make an app for that. Now, you kids get off my lawn and quiet down.

40. TheWiltChamberlainofipas

TheWiltChamberlainofipas Zealot (508) Apr 7, 2015 Oregon

Why does beer reviewing need to be ultra serious? It's just someone else's opinion in another part of this world who you don't know their name or what they look like. Whether you agree with them or not remember that this other person is just enjoying a craft beer and hopefully having a good time.

LarryV, beer_beer, Lahey and 24 others like this.