Beer Reviews that annoy you

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by HopHunter19, Jun 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Invinciblejets

Invinciblejets Devotee (477) Sep 29, 2014 South Carolina

Anything on untapped....

2. Invinciblejets

Invinciblejets Devotee (477) Sep 29, 2014 South Carolina

Yup skip to final chug. I do the same thing with his reviews lol.

matcris likes this.
  3. HopsCraftHouse

HopsCraftHouse Initiate (45) Mar 18, 2016 New York

I don't typically get annoyed but there are triggers that will take credibility from a review.

1. "I don't like this style so it really isn't a good beer"

2. "This beer cost me way too much money for what it is"

3. "This beer used to be good but its old news"

4. Any reviewer that doesn't explain the flavor profile but instead just says the brewer doesn't know what they are doing.

Now these examples are just a few that destroy credibility when I read them, but I understand that in places such as Untapped some people are rating for their own palates to keep track of what they like and not for the purpose of helping other beer drinkers. I think instead of getting annoyed I try to read reviews with an open mind and see if the reviewer is there to help me or track themselves.

beardown2489 likes this.
  4. Ranbot

Ranbot Defender (668) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

I try them myself if the brewery's description and the beer style is something I think I would be interested in. Honestly that's my main way of trying new [to me] beer, regardless of how many reviews or buzz is on BA. Developing an understanding, tastes, and confidence in your opinions* is part of what makes craft beer fun. For newcomers to craft beer or a new style of beer, there is some value into looking to the community to try to make some sense out things. It's like learning to ride a bike with training wheels, however too many people fixate on the numbers/ratings and keep pedaling so hard to keep up with the crowd that they never really take the training wheels off.

EDIT: * - ...and a willingness to learn, grown, and change your opinions over time

#84 Ranbot, Jun 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  5. moose1980

moose1980 Initiate (0) Jan 1, 2015 Germany

I guess this is more in general, and I know that here - as well as elsewhere - it's been mentioned before. We all know that the big, bold styles such as BA Stouts, Saisons, AWAs, and Lambics get the attention, and rightfully so; they are often highly complex and the rarity factor obviously helps push the ratings higher than they *sometimes* may deserve. However, if we rate according to style, why is the highest rated Pilsner a 91 (Prima Pils) and only the top 5 even crack 90? I remember reading a thread a little while back about top 3/bottom 3 favorite beer styles, and Pilsner was mentioned, at least occasionally, as a favorite style. It should be rated accordingly then!

keithmurray and woemad like this.
  6. HopHunter19

HopHunter19 Initiate (0) May 2, 2015 Missouri

To everyone who's saying nothing annoys them from beer reviews... really? It doesn't even get a hint of a cringe when someone practically snorts a beer out of their teku glass and then smacks their lips and says "god damn that shit is dank, juicy, and crushable all at once! It's also roasty, yeasty, has lots of dark fruit flavors!" ??

I mostly posted this as a joke. I watch other people's reviews when I drink a beer just to see what other people said about it. I'm in the middle of nowhere where most people haven't heard of the beers I like to drink so it's nice to see what someone else's opinion is, especially someone who actually seeks out good beer on a regular basis.

2beerdogs likes this.
  7. Oktoberfist

Oktoberfist Initiate (116) Nov 26, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Deactivated

I find them to be more consistent and unbiased compared to those on here.

8. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,565) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

This deserves an Oscar, or an Emmy, or a Tony, or a Pulitzer Prize since it involves writing....... or at least a beer. Well said, cavedave.

#88 PapaGoose03, Jun 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
    KentT, Curry, jhavs and 2 others like this.
  9. 1beerbaron

1beerbaron Initiate (44) Mar 24, 2009 Ohio

What if it was a beer fest and my 8th sample? And honestly, 3-3.5 encompasses probably 70% or more of my ratings. That's a huge gap in quality for me. I'd rather have someone abstain from rating than give a stupid made up rating.

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  10. HeyItsThatGuy

HeyItsThatGuy Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2016 Illinois

I don't like when people give very strange over-the-top comparisons to what they taste in the beer. For instance, I recently read a review of a sour and the guy puts down "tasted like month's worth accumulation of the sweat from my asscrack"
    ....As much as I would love to explore the events that lead to the tasting of such a flavor I would prefer a taste description that we could all identify with.

11. eppie82

eppie82 Meyvn (1,470) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I get annoyed when I see some people waaaaay underrate a beer because it's cool to knock something that so many have enjoyed or continue to enjoy.

szarom1992, Caj1 and woemad like this.
  12. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (4,251) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

That's why I have so few reviews for Amber Ales. I don't dig them unless they've got some hop bite to them, so I rarely drink them and rarely review them.

2beerdogs likes this.
  13. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,270) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Does the presumption exist that some styles are superior?

14. woemad

Society Trader

To play devil's advocate, I imagine some people who do so don't realize it's infected. They just think it's an odd beer.

15. woemad

Society Trader

10/10 for me would require hearing choirs of angels and a beam of light coming down from the sky as the beer hit my tastebuds.

16. woemad

Society Trader

Among some people, sure. There used to be a guy in the NW forum who'd jump into every thread that mentioned a stout and he'd slam everyone for wasting their money on such an "inferior" style. Fortunately, he went away a long time ago.

2beerdogs and BBThunderbolt like this.
  17. elucas730

elucas730 Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2010 New York

Looking at the top 250 list, one might conclude that certain styles are superior to others.

SovietBillCosby likes this.
  18. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,803) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

You mean I've got to start writing intelligent reviews? Aw man, oh well, work to do.

2beerdogs and Ranbot like this.
  19. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,270) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

One might well make such a conclusion. In that top 250 there are many great beers, but it is missing many great beers.

champ103 likes this.
  20. Caj1

Caj1 Aspirant (235) Jul 2, 2013 Texas

One of my pet peeves is when somebody makes a joke review of an obviously inferior beer, rating it all fives or 10/10 or whatever, and then writes a two line paragraph filled with snarky, sarcastic "this is a damn fine beer nectar of the gods" blah blah blah. You aren't as funny as you think you are and you're skewing the ratings. No, Steel Reserve is not on par with Hop Devil, get your head out of your ass.

Also when people who obviously have something against microbrewing in general come in and give, say, Keystone a stupidly high score and badmouth people who like non-macro, and then turn around and give highly regarded craft brews one-star reviews saying "worst thing I ever put in my mouth you need to drink real beer I poured this down the sink!" Get over yourself, guy. You came to the wrong neighborhood to start that kind of shit.

Sorry for going on a stream of consciousness rant but I wanted to talk about that behavior.

21. spacecake9

spacecake9 Meyvn (1,080) Apr 26, 2014 Illinois

I have no interest in anyone's individual review. That is why I like BA - everyone throws in their 2 cents and it all gets averaged out.

Shroud0fdoom, beerluvr and elucas730 like this.
  22. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (9,808) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

But, Steel Reserve isn't (shouldn't be) being compared to Hop Devil, it should be compared to OE 800. For every style, it is possible to brew a beer that someone thinks makes someone think, "damn, nobody could ever brew one of these better", and that beer should get a 5. Even if it's a style we don't care for.

23. threeviews

threeviews Initiate (0) Apr 18, 2011 Florida

I am turned sideways when someone posts a review of a beer that they themselves are convinced they will not like it...and then proceed to knock it for all their predetermined reasons...that goes for beer style and/or brewery.

That said, I would like people to adhere to the age-old saying from primary school: If you have nothing good to say, keep it to yourself...

24. thepenguin

thepenguin Devotee (449) Aug 8, 2010 Massachusetts

Agreed. If you need to tick, why not just mark it as "Had" on BA? We all rely on reviews to guide our purchases so it really doesn't make sense that someone's 2oz pour (1 of dozens for the sitting I might add) should be weighted the same as a thorough review someone may have put 20-30 minutes into.

#104 thepenguin, Jun 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
    hopsputin and djuhnk like this.
  25. beardown2489

beardown2489 Devotee (487) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois

superior?

Maybe let's change that to "currently prefered"

Some of the best beers on the world are no longer on the top250.

There is more to beer than hoppy and barrel aged beers shown on the list

26. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (10,198) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

Superior or more popular???

27. ssam

ssam Aspirant (284) Dec 2, 2008 California

I don't like horror movies particularly, unless they are actually good movies. The only way I know that is if the reviews rate it up against not only horror movies (which suck in general) but all movies. Fortunately, this is how it is usually done with movies so we don't have Dawn of the Dead 4 just below Godfather II and above Citizen Kane on the top movies list.

Similarly if a romance novel transcends its genre and is actually good, ratings should show that, or if not good, the ratings should show. Otherwise I'd think Twilight is supposed to be as good as The Sun Also Rises, or probably better considering those fanatic vampire lovers.

#107 ssam, Jun 2, 2016
    rightcoast7 likes this.
  28. offthelevel_bytheplumb

offthelevel_bytheplumb Devotee (402) Aug 19, 2013 Illinois

You ever read Rolling Stone's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time?

surfcaster, Shroud0fdoom and woemad like this.
  29. unhyped

unhyped Initiate (77) Feb 13, 2015 Oregon

True but this people I speak of actually mention in their review that the beer is most likely infected but they still review it. To me that's pretty crazy I really don't get the point.

30. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,803) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Blaming the beer going in covers up flaws in the review.

Curry and Ozzylizard like this.
  31. dbrauneis

Moderator Society Trader

I can see reviewing an infected beer if you got it from the brewery (fully in their control) and they do not acknowledge/remediate the problem once they have been contacted.

I can recall a brewery that had a bunch of infection problems but refused to acknowledge it... it persisted for at least a year. I think it is fair to warn folks in that case in your review (heck, the brewery saw fit to release an obviously infected beer for sale).

hardy008, Ozzylizard, FBarber and 3 others like this.
  32. woemad

Society Trader

Maybe to salvage something from an otherwise worthless experience? Beats me, unless maybe they think they're warning others to reconsider buying it.

Ozzylizard and TongoRad like this.
  33. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,989) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Infected beers, diacetyl, poor quality control are all within the breweries' control and are an excellent reason to do a review, for precisely the reason you state- to let other customers know what they may be in for.

ETA: when I do look through the reviews for particular beers or breweries, it's just this sort of thing I'm wondering about.

34. dbrauneis

Moderator Society Trader

Exactly the reason I have seen people for doing, warning others about it.

Ozzylizard, rgordon and woemad like this.
  35. johnInLA

johnInLA Savant (980) Jun 12, 2005 California
    Society Trader

I second the "I've never been annoyed"

For me, while this doesn't change the rating, I think mentioning if something has lived up to its price point is useful information in a review.

36. HopHunter19

HopHunter19 Initiate (0) May 2, 2015 Missouri

Agree x 100

37. Hophazzard

Hophazzard Disciple (323) Aug 16, 2014 California

Completely agree about Greg. He's a likable guy and all but I can't remember the last time I watched a whole Greg video. I always just go straight to the pour, which is about the 7 minute mark, and then end it after his "first impression". He just goes on and on and on and on and then he starts his incessant whining over bottling dates. Who has time for a 15 minute beer review??

hardy008 and Gemini6 like this.
  38. manfromanotherplace

manfromanotherplace Initiate (0) May 19, 2015 New York

One thing that gets me is the overall rating that some reviewers get to which contradicts their individual ratings for each element. For example they rate appearance-4.0 smell 4.5 taste 4.5 feel 4.25 then rate it overall as a 4!!i even noticed one of the bros ratings was done this way....surely taste, feel then smell (in that order) are the most important elements? Most of the time my overall score is based closely to the taste score i gave it.

Phoodcritic likes this.
  39. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (14,344) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

The calculated overall score does favor smell and taste, so yes it is surprising how some user rated overall scores differ so greatly from the calculated overall score. Some folks might be averaging the other scores equally, or disregarding them and going with gut feel. Very subjective.

40. Urk1127

Urk1127 Poo-Bah (2,062) Jul 2, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Tbh hate threads and negative threads are more annoying

Im sorry but the negativity is crazy. If a beer sucks, that's ok, voice your opinion. But from an objective point of view, seeing constant complaints, ts nonsensical. Theres a difference between saying you dont like something, and just being a complainer. And a lot of what i see is some grown adults who complain about every subject of beer lol. Why drink it.

#120 Urk1127, Jun 2, 2016
    ChicagoJ and Shroud0fdoom like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.