Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Beer run - road trip game

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by BrewUrbanist, Jun 25, 2013.

1. BrewUrbanist

A simple game:

You live in Washington DC. You, your girlfriend and another couple are contemplating a very quick and (largely) beer focused road trip for 4th of July weekend. A sudsy cannonball run. Able to leave early Friday morning, and get back to DC Sunday night. What beer-centric destination do you choose to maximize beer-awesomeness with drive-manageability? Baltimore is not an option.

Vermont - 8+ hour drive for Heady and Hill Farmstead?
    Philly - 2.5 hour drive
    Boston - 7 hours
    NYC - 5 hours
    New England 6 hours (NEBCO, Jack's Abby, Tree House)
    Asheville - 8 hours
    Other?

2. FatBoyGotSwagger

get wasted in the Philly burbs. Stay away from the city unless you're going to Monks.

shueyy, Retail1LO and MrRockstar like this.
  3. tun

tun
    Beer Trader

Philly seems like a no brainer if you have to bring along the ladies.

4. zekeman17

Beer Trader

I agree with Philly, but do some research--Welcome America Festival + Fireworks=major traffic issues.
    It might be a better choice some weekend other than the 4th.

5. jl28r1

I would skip Boston, Philly and New York on the weekend of the 4th. If you left at 4am, even with an hour stop for lunch you would still be in Vt by early afternoon Heady can in hand.

6. nesarebad

Beer Trader

That weekend is probably the perfect opportunity to get to the cannery and find them completely sold out. Sure that will be a fun experience ;)

Retail1LO likes this.
  7. gregkoko

Beer Trader

To be fair Alchemist is closed for Fourth of July so I'd hope/expect them to be still on sale at least through late Friday

8. BrewUrbanist

Thank you all for playing. Started this thread because we originally started planning this as a quick trip to VT, but are realizing that its a lot of driving, and the chance to purchase Heady is not guaranteed. Alchemist is closed Thursday, which gives us a fighting chance to get some if we can get up there by 2:00pm or so.

Good points about the major cities being a complete charlie foxtrot on 4th of July weekend. Poor timing, but this is really the only open weekend for this group to attempt such a feat.

Maybe we should go to Cleveland.

ColdOne likes this.
  9. tjseveryday

10. jl28r1

I would still prefer Vermont. :)

AngusOg likes this.
  11. ipas-for-life

Beer Trader

Here is a PA beer-centric trip you could do.

Day 1- Troegs, Selins Grove and Bullfrog. There are a few decent hotels within walking distance of Bullfrog in Williamsport.

Day 2- Hit the Wegmans right next to the hotels for a quick breakfast and to pick up some bottles. They had a decent selection of stuff I hadn't seen before in the NoVa area. Then drive to Tired Hands right outside of Philly. After a couple hours their spend the rest of the day/night around the Philly area.

Day 1- DC to Troegs 2 1/2 hours. Troegs to Selins Grove 1 hour, Selins Grove to Bullfrog 1 hour
    Day 2- Bullfrog/Williamsport to Tired hands 3 hours. Tired Hands to Philly 20 minutes
    Day 3-Philly to DC-Good Luck

I did the Day 1 leg of the trip last summer on the way to upstate NY and had a blast. It is a very easy drive the three breweries are basically a straight shot. You have to do a tiny bit of back tracking from Troegs to Selins but not much.

ColdOne likes this.
  12. GreenMtnMike

Beer Trader

I'm going to second the Philly 'burbs. Stay somewhere near the mainline. Take a trip out to Victory, leave girlfriends at King of Prussia Mall if necessary. Have nice meals and great beer at Forest and Main and Tired Hands. Take the train into the city for Monk's, fireworks, and whatnot. Save VT for when you have the time, and lack of huge crowds, to do it right.

gengle likes this.
  13. otispdriftwood

Beer Trader

It's a no-brainer. Vermont. But Alchemist sells out sometimes - especially on weekends. If you have a DD, there's alot of places that pour HF and Lawson's as well but you'll need to do some research. There is a large store named Table & Vine along I-91 [Exit 13B?] in West Springfield MA on the way. One of the biggest selections I've seen and alot of good stuff probably not available where you are.

14. DavethebeerguyNJ

You can start your trip in Philly, hit the local bars there.... Then take the train to haddon township in NJ walk about 50 steps to your first bar "the Irish mile" get yourself a fresh pint or two from one of the 62 kegs they have tapped and then Enjoy the local bars there for a while and then hop back on the train and head to Atlantic city where you can end your trip. That sounds like a great day to me.

15. BrewUrbanist

We've decided to 'go big', and are making the run up to Vermont. Leaving DC at 5am Friday, so hope to be at the Alchemist by around 2-3pm. Hoping the Heady lasts that long. We are trying to arrange w/ a local to purchase some for us early next week just to hedge our bets.

Saturday, possibly early trip to farmers market to seek out Lawson's, then up to Hill Farmstead.

Going to be a lot of driving for a beer run, but should be a good time.

16. spicoli00

Fat Heads!

17. dmac621

Beer Trader

Funny I was just about to say if you're coming from DC it's gonna be a lot longer then 8 hours. I'm in central NJ and its 8 hours for me to get to Hill Farmstead.

Have fun though.

18. Beerisheaven

You should just trade for Heady. The Philly run will allow you to hit a large amount of great places all of which will def have great selections and not leave you disappointed. However, Selinsgrove is closed starting July 1 through mid-week the following week. Take the grove off your list which is a shame since it might be the best of all the places you could go to in the trip suggested above.

19. ColdOne

Beer Trader

That's actually not a bad idea. Hit up Hoppin Frog in Akron, then head north to the Brew Kettle to get the more wonderful than words can describe White Rajah, then further north to Fat Heads. Meanwhile, maybe you can get some sweet bottles to bring back that are mid-west distro.

20. Retail1LO

Yeah...no kidding. 581 miles from DC. And once you get up to VT...there are just some stretches you can't approach as quickly as you may like.

http://goo.gl/maps/eNTqF

Looking at about 9.5 hours each way. You run right through Baltimore, DC, NY..... You may want to start your run overnight and blow through the I-95 corridor while everyone sleeps.

21. GreenMtnMike

Beer Trader

You should do this. Or, if you are taking 87 up during the day, consider taking it all the way to 74 and cutting across to the Crown Point bridge. I wouldn't take 9N through Lake George around the 4th of July.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe