Beer sediment ruin beer for you?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Admbmb92, Aug 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Treezilla

Treezilla Initiate (0) Aug 12, 2013 Colorado

2. firefightn24

firefightn24 Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2014 Texas

Sediment is one of those areas in beer that is pretty subjective depending on who is doing the drinking. I don't mind it, but I generally try and avoid taking in a lot of sediment. Just doesn't do it for me.

3. WreckedPalate

WreckedPalate Initiate (0) Aug 14, 2013 Wisconsin

Depends on how much there is. I once got a can of Focal Banger from The Alchemist that weighed a lot more than the others, the reason being it was literally half sediment. That ruined it for me. Other than that, I embrace it. I pour the beer half way, swirl, then pour the rest. I notice subtle differences when I do not do that. Or, am I just playing tricks on myself...??

4. choicegrinds

choicegrinds Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2014 New York

I've never had a beer with floaties I didnt like..unless the floaties were cigarette butts

ArkansasTraveller likes this.
  5. puboflyons

puboflyons Poo-Bah (6,361) Jul 26, 2008 New Hampshire
    Society

NO Way!! It's my favorite part of a good craft beer.

6. Jerseyislandbeer

Jerseyislandbeer Meyvn (1,221) Jan 26, 2014 Jersey

First time I noticed the sediment was in a bottle of Coopers Sparkling Ale, I'd brought in Peckhems in Edinburgh. I was a little concerned, as having travelled in Australia and learnt that it's the best brewery over there. So my initial excitement of finding the bottle quashed, I did some research and learnt it's natural.. so just either leave the bottle upright for a few days and be careful when you pour to leave the last 5 to 10mm in the bottle.. or if your like me, and think that's just a waste, just store the bottle & pour it as it comes!

7. TillTheMedicineTakes

TillTheMedicineTakes Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2014 Colorado

Well, at beer fests it really sucks that people pouring from the bottles give you your sample and it's the last yeasty ass pour of the bottle. I don't appreciate that. I just dump it out in front of them and ask for a fresh pour.
    I don't care if a little yeast is in there but, it does make a difference if you just get that last swilly pour. It's not the same beer you would be experiencing minus all the yeast at the bottom.
    Some beers, depending on the level of yeast, I try not to pour it into well poured glasses.

8. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,435) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Never. Man up

9. thehyperduck

thehyperduck Poo-Bah (5,228) Feb 26, 2006 Canada (ON)
    Society Trader

Nope. I'll even swirl up the bottom and dump it into my glass, depending on the style (mostly with wits & hefes). Probably the healthiest part of the beer.

10. larryarms847

larryarms847 Initiate (0) Dec 12, 2010 Illinois

Drink exclusively DH's Plead the 5th. Then you don't have to worry, because that cement at the bottom ain't going anywhere!

11. LehighAce06

LehighAce06 Champion (828) Jul 31, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Trader

It doesn't bother me, but as it can add an unpleasant bitterness I try to avoid pouring it and let what does get into the glass settle. Worst I've ever seen was actually from a growler, the last pour looked like this:
    [​IMG]

12. Brutaltruth

Brutaltruth Poo-Bah (4,120) Mar 22, 2014 Ohio
    Society

I know a couple of people who swear that the sediment will cause gas and bloating like a dying pack mule. I do not share the sediment....er...ahh...sentiment. It is a beer that can live longer and mature in character and complexity. Some Belgians are excellent with a good stir of yeast in them----unless flaked.....sign the beer has done gone south and on it's last legs. I got some sediment from a growler of Delirium Noel that was excellent in the bottle. Added depth and better mouthfeel in my humble opinion.

13. Shroud0fdoom

Shroud0fdoom Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2013 Maryland

Don't worry, it was only Tongue in Cheek.

14. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,771) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Sediment is not a problem, at all. Kinda cool all those little floaties.

15. hopsputin

hopsputin Poo-Bah (2,701) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey
    Society

depends. usually no for me. in certain cases (Hefes) i prefer to get the yeast in, as many other probably do.

besides, how would we ever drink homebrew :wink:

16. Roxie_B

Roxie_B Initiate (0) Jun 1, 2014 Alabama

I request extra yeast floaties.

Brutaltruth likes this.
  17. Brolo75

Brolo75 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Deactivated

First time I saw yeast, I thought WTF is that? Now, after some reading, it doesn't bother me but I do try to avoid aggressive pours on bottle conditioned beers.

18. herrburgess

herrburgess Meyvn (1,160) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina

WTH is that?

Count me among those who drink the sediment separately, as a shot of vitamin B. IMO, having the yeast in suspension in the beer muddles the taste considerably (save for in styles like Hefeweizens and wits).

19. Heatwave33

Heatwave33 Initiate (0) Sep 13, 2011 Florida

Love sediment. Taste great and put hair on your chest. Don't fear the beer............. Sediment :wink:

20. Kuaff

Kuaff Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2013 Alaska

I love holding a bomber of Hop Stoopid or some other yeasty favorite up to the light and seeing all the wonderful little bits of sediment slowly swirling around at the bottom. And I always delight in drinking every last cloudy drop. It's natural, after all. To me, sediment is usually a sign of substance and depth. I've never had a sediment-heavy beer which lacked flavor.

That said, I don't always idealize cloudiness over clarity, and can appreciate a crystalline transparency as well.

21. LehighAce06

Trader

It's yeast sediment, a TON of it.

22. herrburgess

herrburgess Meyvn (1,160) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina

From Tired Hands? Which beer? Wow....

23. LehighAce06

Trader

No, that's just the glass I was using, this was at home from a growler from elsewhere.

24. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2010 California

No, it's to be expected. Heady looks pretty gross in a glass though.

25. Vogt52

Vogt52 Initiate (0) May 25, 2014 Maryland

Seidment doesn't usually bother me

26. beerkim

beerkim Initiate (0) Sep 20, 2012 Pennsylvania

Reminds me. I forget what beer out there in this world, but they advertise that you slow pour the beer into one glass leaving a little bit of beer in the bottle. You then take the bottle and swoosh it around to break up the yeast. Then pour it into a shot glass. When you are done enjoying the non-yeasty portion, they expect you to enjoy the shot of the yeasty. Somebody can help me out with identifying this beer.

27. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2010 California

Affligem.

beerkim likes this.
  28. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2010 Oklahoma

Yep. That gets a 1-2 for appearance in my book. If I know a beer has a thick cake in it, then I'll let it sit long enough to compact so I can avoid it on the pour. If the yeast is very fine and not in big pieces, then it doesn't bother me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.