Beer Shelf Life (Hopslam)

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by JamesBell, Dec 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JamesBell

JamesBell Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2013 Georgia

I know there is a lot of talk about aging or cellaring some beers. I also see that it more applies to stouts and porters I guess. Here is my scenario. I have two bottles gf Bell's Hopslam from February this year. Since I didn't much care for it I forgot about them. Will they be good still? I was going to give them to a hop head coworker, but don't want to if they aren't going to be any good. They have been kept refrigerated since purchase..

2. PA-Michigander

PA-Michigander Poo-Bah (1,807) Nov 10, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Define good. Will they be as good as they were when bottled? Doubtfully. Will it be an interesting drink? Perhaps so. So long as they understand what they are drinking and when it was bottled I don't see the problem in giving it to them, free I assume?

3. CassinoNorth

CassinoNorth Disciple (304) Apr 5, 2013 New Jersey

Ask if he likes barley wines, cause that's basically what you have at this point.

4. GreesyFizeek

GreesyFizeek Poo-Bah (10,835) Mar 6, 2013 New York
    Society Trader

Since they've been refrigerated, they will hold up at least a little beer than if they were on the shelf, but they will still be a shell of their former self, a very malty, honey forward brew.

5. prior2two

prior2two Devotee (400) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

It's bad. (Taste wise).

Normally I don't care if an IPA is old. I've enjoyed 6 month old zombie dust, two hearted, and Pliney. While the hops have faded, they were still good beers.

I had a 3 month old hopslam this year. It was not good at all. Not even enjoyable maltiness. Tasted like a bad iced tea.

gcamparone likes this.
  6. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (12,593) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

I had one in May years ago & it was still damn tasty, just not near as hoppy as it is young/fresh...

7. gcamparone

gcamparone Poo-Bah (2,043) Dec 6, 2011 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

Yea, old hopslam is pretty bad.. Opened one that was sitting in my fridge a few weeks ago

8. BrettHead

BrettHead Initiate (0) Sep 18, 2010 Nebraska

I find Hopslam to fade fast.

9. doner24

doner24 Initiate (93) Apr 16, 2013 Minnesota

Ha, I just recently found one hiding in my fridge from January 2013. I'm waiting until it comes out again to compare at this point.

I also found an Abrasive from February and compared it to the latest release in November. Held up like a champ and I could taste very little difference. Just a tiny bit of fading in the nose and the hops, but still a world class DIPA.

10. decadance

decadance Aspirant (289) Mar 14, 2010 Texas

Sigh. No, you don't. Can people please stop claiming old double IPAs are ala barleywines? Nothing could be more incorrect.

11. TheSaboteur

TheSaboteur Initiate (0) Sep 20, 2010 Nebraska

Oh, gawd ... people talking about Hopslam already.

12. JamesBell

JamesBell Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2013 Georgia

Well, if the strength of the hoppy flavor is what has most likely faded, it probably won't suite him and heck, I might like it more! I'll probably just crack one open and try it.

Thanks for all the input.

13. cwehr13

cwehr13 Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2011 Illinois

Couldn't be any wronger. I have 12 left that I forgot about from last february. Still tastes good just lost a little of the initial hop bunch.

HighWine and kbuzz like this.
  14. RDMII

RDMII Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2010 Georgia

I love year old Hopslam. I call it Maltslam.

15. Joshjv

Joshjv Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2013 Michigan

I agree, had one just last week. The big hoppy aroma is gone, but plenty of big hop taste

cwehr13 likes this.
  16. jbeezification

jbeezification Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2012 Texas

I had one in August and there was still a good bit of honey and it was very enjoyable. I honestly don't know what the people saying its bad are even talking about. Hop snobs shouldn't even be in beer cellaring.

17. BrettHead

BrettHead Initiate (0) Sep 18, 2010 Nebraska

And we don't cellar beers that will definitively get worse with age like DIPA's...But nice troll attempt :sunglasses:

18. chewy08rx

chewy08rx Initiate (45) Jul 12, 2006 Minnesota

I drank a 2007 tonight (long story) and it tasted like a hybrid between a wheat-wine and american barleywine. Actually was quite enjoyable.

19. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Crusader (754) Mar 28, 2009 California

How are so many people finding hidden beers? I want this problem!

JasonLovesBeer likes this.
  20. mdomask

mdomask Initiate (0) May 27, 2012 Illinois

I found a bag in my garage this weekend that had Le Petite Mort and a few bottles of CW Bourbon Barley Wine. I put it on a top shelf months ago and forgot about it.

Also just had a Hopslam that's been sitting in a fridge for months. A lot more honey taste, but the hops were much subdued.

21. ThreeLloyds

ThreeLloyds Initiate (0) May 8, 2014 Iowa

I just realized that I have 8 Hopslam beers left in my stash that were bottled late December 2013. First, what are the chances they are still drinkable? They been stored dark and cold. This thread doesn't give me tons of hope.

Secondly, any one have any experience doing something like http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2013/...-infuse-beer-with-hops-spices-cocoa-nibs.html and if so any recommendations for fun things to try with my 5 month old Hopslams.

Cheers!

22. ASak10

ASak10 Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2014 Colorado

It's drinkable, just a matter of whether you like how it changed or not. I'd drink one just normally, and if you like it rinse and repeat, if not, why not try the infusion? Curious how that works out if you go that route.

ThreeLloyds likes this.
  23. ThreeLloyds

ThreeLloyds Initiate (0) May 8, 2014 Iowa

I opened the bottle and poured it into a New Belgium globe glass. I could tell right away from the smell that the beer had definitely changed. The hop aroma was pretty much gone and replaced with a much more boozey honey malty smell. The taste was way different, again the booziness was the pronounced flavor. I didn't really care for it but I drank it slowly over about 1/2 hour. I think I'll give the infusion a try on my remaining stock.

I sent Bell's a tweet and their reply was:

[​IMG]

#23 ThreeLloyds, May 14, 2014
    Last edited: May 14, 2014
    ASak10 likes this.
  24. Erick_G

Erick_G Initiate (122) Nov 18, 2013 California

already still

Anyhow, I was saving my last one for a friend that I for sure knew would enjoy it...He never had time to make it out to my place despite saying he would..I made several empty threats thinking "sure, a little more time won't hurt" and now everytime I open the fridge it just sits there mocking, ridiculing me.

Which is ok, because apparently according to some - a miracle has happened, and an IPA has been converted into a barleywine, all within the confines of my fridge. Feeling blessed.

25. fishmich

fishmich Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2013 Michigan

i had some 2 weeks ago that has been kept cold and it was pretty good. had some from the same case that was kept at cellar temp and it was gross.

26. paulys55

paulys55 Initiate (0) Aug 2, 2010 Pennsylvania

I haven't found an IPA/DIPA that I have liked aged as compared to fresh yet. YMMV. I've had older Hopslam and the honey and sweetness is too much for me. Also, people, I would recommend storing your IPAs in a fridge, not your cellar.

27. offthelevel_bytheplumb

offthelevel_bytheplumb Devotee (422) Aug 19, 2013 Illinois

Yup

I went to a bar last night, and they had just recently tapped their keg of Hopslam. Naturally, I ordered a glass. The thing that was missing most from the beer was the hop aromatics (the dominant notes of grapefruit I would get fresh was barely even making an appearance), but the bitterness was still there, and I thought it melded well with the malty sweetness. While I'm sure that none of you guys that would still have Hopslam don't have a keg that is stored in a very cold fridge, you should feel free to order it on tap if you have any other bars around you like this one I was at.

28. andyctree

andyctree Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2010 North Carolina

I actually kind of like my Hopslam aged a couple months. Mellows it out a bit, and becomes a little more enjoyable.

29. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Defender (619) May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Trader

I have kind of started to enjoy slightly aged IPAs. Am I crazy?

30. StLeasy

StLeasy Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2013 Illinois

I had a '14 Hopslam (1/11) last night actually. Been in the back of my fridge since ~1/27? So not cellared.

While most of the catty grapefruit nose was gone, it still drinks dank and grapefruity. A lot of the peppery meady flavors from the honey have mellowed and blended with the malt which I really like. Very drinkable and no booziness.

So IMO, it is one of the few IPAs worth trying with some age, but I'm glad I drank the majority of my case within the first month. Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.