Beer Shows and Podcasts

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by the_awesometeer, Mar 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyChicago

JohnnyChicago Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2010 Illinois

Funny story. When I was in college, I had a part time job pushing carts at Home Depot. It evolved from a summer job doing the same in Chicago, which I transferred to Queens, NY when I moved back for school.

I learned in Chicago that were not allowed to listen to headphones while working on the lot (not even one earbud in) for some reason 'unless it was for medical reasons'. This restriction made a physical, repetitive job with little mental exercise even more tedious. So when I transferred to the NY Home Depot, I did a little research on hearing disorders and developed a plan...

My first day on the job in Queens, I immediately popped a single earbud in my left ear and began pushing carts. The manager informed me that it was not allowed, to which I responded that I had a hearing disorder and the headphone allowed me to communicate with my cochlear implant. Now, 2 minutes of googling would have proven that I was full of shit, but when you pay your managers 12 bucks an hour...well, that's 2 minutes of extra effort that you just aren't going to get out of them.

So I got an exemption to wear headphones at work. I always popped one out so that I could hear customers or approaching cars, but I had one in at all times. This was during the time that I was really getting full-steam into homebrewing. During the next two semesters, I binged close to 100% of the Brewing Network's podcasts. The Jamil Show, Brew Strong, and CYBI were especially insightful. Between those and the MANY books I read over the next few years, I developed a great deal of brewing knowledge and opinion. I am now a professional brewer, thanks in part to them.

So if you are at all interested in homebrewing I would definitely recommend the Brewing Network podcasts, especially the older ones. I also think Brad Smith puts on a great one on the Beersmith Podcast.

2. runmn

runmn Initiate (0) May 17, 2015 Minnesota

I personally listen to several beer podcasts, and I am a Patreon subscriber to a couple of them. I know people probably feel strongly against them because they receive funding from breweries that may be viewed unfavorably, but I am a fan of "Good Beer Hunting". I am a member of their Fervent Few. Personally, I believe they have the best interviews out there. I also listen to "The Perfect Pour" which is 3 regular beer nerds in Fresno that drink beer and talk about beer. I am a member of their "Golden Gods". I have zero access to almost all the beer they drink, but they are still fun to listen to. They are really entertaining if you aren't looking for anything technical. For more of a balance between entertaining and technical, I suggest anything from The Brewing Network. I also listen to "Better on Draft" out of Detroit. The hosts aren't very knowledgeable in terms of brewing processes, but they are interesting and often have solid Michigan beer related guests.

3. rabbott2

rabbott2 Zealot (512) Jan 14, 2015 Illinois

^ just listened to ep5....pretty good stuff

4. HeilanCoo

HeilanCoo Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2014 North Carolina
    Deactivated

5. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey

If you like beer, listen to Steal This Beer. It is hosted by @augiecarton and John Holl. It is, by far, the best beer podcast I have listened to

6. seth27

seth27 Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2015 Pennsylvania

Just to add a couple that haven't been mentioned yet I like Beervana, Beer of the Day, and Brulosophy. Beervana tends to be a little PNW centric but it's still good.

Also Milk the Funk just started doing a podcast too.

7. rabbott2

rabbott2 Zealot (512) Jan 14, 2015 Illinois

Following steal this beer...really enjoying the new Pints and Provisions episode too

8. NorCalKid

NorCalKid Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2018 California

Brulosophy, Beersmith, Experimental Brewing, Basic Brewing, Master Brewers, The Late Additon, Dr.Homebrew. All good listens if your into homebrewing but still educational if your not.

9. Tucquan

Tucquan Poo-Bah (3,138) Oct 11, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Excellent episode with Vinnie and Natalie of Russian River on the most recent episode of "The Session" from the Brewing Network. I continue to enjoy their content.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.