Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Beer snob or alcoholic?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Badger72, Apr 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tectactoe

tectactoe Mar 20, 2012 Michigan

If people really think low AbV beers can't have any flavor, they are REALLY missing out.

2. Frankinstiener

Frankinstiener Jul 28, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I would expect a beer snob to at least appreciate a wider variety of styles. So of the choices given, I would say alcoholic.

3. C2H5

C2H5 Jan 7, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

The real question is; are you an alcoholic beer snob, or an alcoholic beer geek?

RPH2327 likes this.
  4. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Jun 18, 2002 Arizona

apt description of many neo craft enthusiasts

JohnGalt1 and wingedeel like this.
  5. RoninTK3

RoninTK3 Nov 12, 2012 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Neither, but you're missing out

6. Cvescalante

Cvescalante Dec 24, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

You must not be into sours then, I'm guessing?? Fou Fonne is one of the best beers I've ever had, and its right at 5%

7. BierGartenok

BierGartenok Apr 4, 2009 Oklahoma

Best. Title. Ever. Can we do shirts??

Steimie likes this.
  8. olfolxholme

olfolxholme Feb 13, 2011 California

I don't think ABV is a point of snobbery... so, maybe.

ABV seems more like you're either trying to prove something, or make sure you feel something (the buzz), and depending on how much you "need" that feeling... well, that might answer the question.

9. crossovert

crossovert Mar 29, 2009 Illinois

derf

10. Steimie

Steimie Jan 7, 2012 Michigan

:confused:

11. Zaphog

Zaphog Sep 23, 2011 Michigan
    Beer Trader

8 inches.

12. rauchfest

rauchfest Sep 5, 2008 Pennsylvania

In my own best interest both. But I do drink beer of any strength.

13. devlishdamsel

devlishdamsel Aug 1, 2009 Washington

I drink what suits the fancy of my palate. I really only care if the alcohol content is high because in recent times I have become a lightweight and limits must be set with higher alcohol beers!

14. Jacurdy60

Jacurdy60 Jan 23, 2013 Massachusetts

I did the exact same thing today and had the exact same thought. I just like that alcoholic bite sometimes. Plus, more alcohol usually means more potent flavors so, no, you're not an alcoholic. Alcoholism is a dependency on alcohol that interferes with your daily functions and hurts those who you care about. Drink on, my friend. Because I know I will.

15. jzeilinger

jzeilinger Dec 4, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber Beer Trader

You were enjoying an Endeavor, that's a nice IPA! Is it a flavor and hop thing that lower ABV beers might not have? I agree with some of the others, there are flavorful beers out there at 5% or below but if you're used to big beers, finding something to satisfy your palate may be tougher. Get a trading partner in Wisconsin and have them send you some New Glarus - Moon Man...it's 5%, lighter in body, but bold and will satisfy your inner hop. (surprisingly)

Unless you're downing the big beers to get drunk and wreck sh*t, don't be so hard on yourself (and you'll know which previous responses to discard); push to explore different things you wouldn't normally drink in your comfort zone.

16. shawnohall

shawnohall Nov 8, 2009 Texas

Whether or not you're an alcoholic depends on how much you drink. If it's over a six-pack a day every day, you might want to take a look at that. However, I agree with you that most of the really good beers are over 5%.

17. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Mar 18, 2010 California

I just drink beer to try new things. The ABV is a minor concern for me.

18. Revenant

Revenant Aug 8, 2012 Minnesota

Completely untrue.

SunDevilBeer likes this.
  19. MickJ0nes

MickJ0nes Dec 10, 2012 Pennsylvania

Michelob Ultra is my daily drinker. I focus more on hording, pairing, and sharing my cellar. Stouts and BW are strictly Dec. thru Feb. and most likley are for after dinner sipping. Sours are for Sunday usually while cooking. I only buy ipa's when thai and bbq is happening.

20. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 May 18, 2011 Illinois

Being an alcoholic isn't amount how much booze you drink; It's about how much you let the booze control you.

TongoRad likes this.
  21. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 May 18, 2011 Illinois

And just because you like higher abv brews, doesn't necessarily make you an alchy. I've known alcoholics that only drink Miller Lite. (Of course they drink it for like 12 hrs).

22. atomic

atomic Sep 22, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

This
    Can't wait to pop open a bottle of Flower Child Berliner Weiss, 3.5%

Although something about drinking the strongest beers appeals to me, but I think its more a macho response than a desire to get drunk.

23. ncstateplaya

ncstateplaya Nov 8, 2008 North Carolina

Such a depressing post...great way to start a Tuesday morning...now I will have the "blahs" all day.

I drink because I enjoy beer. Whether its a single like yesterday or the five from Saturday, who gives a shit. Some people will call me a beer snob, or beer geek, or alcoholic...whatever dude, I've been called worse. Trying to define yourself by a label is just asking for it.

24. Badger72

Badger72 Mar 8, 2013 Louisiana

Thank you to all the armchair psychologists, but I'm not an alcoholic. What I meant by the question is if anyone else has the problem of finding good beer that is less than 5 abv. The styles I prefer, stouts and IPA's, are generally higher in abv. Just my personal taste but I do not really like heff's or saisons. If I could find a tasty stout or IPA I'll drink it regardless of the abv. I'm also limited to where I've lived, San Diego and now New Orleans, where the only beers available to me that are less than 5 are beers like NOLA, Abita, or Shocktop, which are all beers that aren't that good. So again thanks for the concern, but I'm not an alcoholic, just a beer drinker with a certain taste for certain styles of beer.

ncstateplaya likes this.
  25. ShanePB

ShanePB Sep 6, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Then why did you ask in your OP if you're an alcoholic? Multiple times.

JuliusCaesar likes this.
  26. Hanzo

Hanzo Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

"There are a ton of beers under 5% that are awesome!"

*looks at BA top 250 beers*

*finds two beers out of the top 100 under 5% abv*

Just playing devil's advocate here, but apparently a lot more people than just the OP are attracted to higher ABV beers.

Ivegotmule likes this.
  27. beercanman

beercanman Dec 17, 2012 Ohio

Branch out. There's several low abv beers that are brilliant.

28. jageraholic

jageraholic Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Some lower ABV beers have good flavors, but they lack the body that higher ABV beers have which is why I stay away.

29. chocosushi

chocosushi May 1, 2011 Oklahoma

A) Why would you call yourself a Beer Snob?

B) This question needs to be asked within. Enjoying craft beer is not alcoholism.

30. cnbrown313

cnbrown313 May 29, 2012 Illinois

A LOT of the best sours and wild ales out there are around or below 5% ABV. I'm glad that everyone including the OP will be leaving those for me now I guess...

31. Celtics76

Celtics76 Sep 5, 2011 Rhode Island

I don't understand the question but if you question whether or not you're an alcoholic, you probably are.

32. RyFikes

RyFikes Jan 3, 2013 New York

I hear where this guy is coming from. I wouldn't disregard a beer just because it has low abv. HOWEVER, if given the choice between two beers I will more often choose the beer that is going to give me the stronger buzz.

Call that alcoholism if you want to, just don't come preaching to me about it.

33. Badger72

And that is what I'm saying, from my experience and palate, when I see two beers side by side, if one is below 5 and the other above 5, i'm going with the higher one because it probably tastes better. There is a point of diminishing returns with higher abv, I agree, and I don't just pick whatever is strongest but from my experience I don't like beers under 5%. If somebody could give me some examples I will gladly try them if they are available to me.

As long as they aren't saisons or sours, just my preference but I don't like the style.

34. Badger72

One poster commented about Stone Levitation being under 5%. I actually really like that beer and agree it is delicious. However if I'm at a bar/restauraunt/store that has that, they probably have something else that I prefer over it, like Sierra Nevada PA (5.6%).

35. Celtics76

Celtics76 Sep 5, 2011 Rhode Island

Yeah but folks on here are followers. The hip thing to do is give high ABV beers higher ratings than lower ABV beers. When reviewing, most people are influenced by others reviews.

36. Hanzo

Hanzo Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

You say that, then I see only one of your top rated 100 beers is sub 5%. (yeah it is a slow Tuesday at work)

37. deadonhisfeet

deadonhisfeet Apr 23, 2011 Kentucky

I completely agree with the other posters here regarding the correlation between ABV and taste. More to the point, if any beer advocates are alcoholics, then they're obviously not very good ones. Compared to hard liquor, even the most potent beers are quite inefficient at getting you drunk.

38. fredmugs

fredmugs Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Go 30 days without having a drink. If you can do that you are definitely NOT an alcoholic. If you can't make it from now until the weekend you might have a problem.

39. fredmugs

fredmugs Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Beer Trader

That's crazy talk.

40. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

What, you think you're better than me?!?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe