Beer snob stories

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by 5thOhio, Jan 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeG304

MikeG304 Initiate (92) Sep 3, 2013 New York

That's a little pretentious.

5thOhio likes this.
  2. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey

I see a lot of the "proud enthusiast" category on here, and I certainly include myself in that category. I have to say that post comes off a little smug and self-congratulatory.

luwak, kemoarps, JG-90 and 5 others like this.
  3. semaj

semaj Initiate (0) Jan 18, 2013 Florida

How is this any different from number 2?

rozzom, kemoarps, riemster and 3 others like this.
  4. bsp77

bsp77 Poo-Bah (1,953) Apr 27, 2008 Minnesota

It's even douchier.

semaj, rozzom, kemoarps and 3 others like this.
  5. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Zealot (513) Jul 4, 2008 Ohio

"Your beer-droids. We don't serve their kind.":wink:

kemoarps and JMS1512 like this.
  6. Tut

Tut Initiate (0) Sep 23, 2004 New York

Well said.
    I'm really sick of people here constantly claiming anyone who turns down an offered AAL, Newcastle, Corona, etc. is being impolite and a snob. These people don't have a problem with drinking AAL's, therefore they think nobody else should either. If one of their BMC drinking buddies was at their place and politely declined the double IPA they offered, would they think he was a snob?

7. Tut

Preferring to drink good beer and being willing to pay for it, despite the availability of free crap beer, does NOT make you a snob. It means you have high standards for beer and won't compromise them.

8. kingofhop

kingofhop Initiate (0) May 9, 2010 Oklahoma

I don't blame people for turning down beer they don't like. Even though I like AALs equally as well as stouts or IPAs, it's not snobbish if you'd rather drink water than a Bud. I ain't real picky, but I refuse to consume certain products. I'll drink iced tea before I will a banana flavored hefe.

kemoarps, frazbri and 5thOhio like this.
  9. Ayelikebeer

Ayelikebeer Initiate (110) Oct 30, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Sorry folks, most of you are snobs whether you want to own up to it or not. But you are in good company it seems.

MikeG304 and utopiajane like this.
  10. Dracarys

Dracarys Initiate (0) May 28, 2013 Alabama

Not really. It sounds like you just have some kind of weird complex about being liked if you feel the need to accept everything offered to you.

irv2424, kemoarps, MeBeerGood and 3 others like this.
  11. nsheehan

nsheehan Devotee (418) Jul 3, 2011 Texas
    Trader

I applaud you for pushing them a little to try craft, as long as you weren't being over the top about it.

But I'm tired of seeing enthusiasts (well-meaning, I'm sure) trying to get newcomers into craft with big beers the enthusiast likes. Very rarely do you hear of someone going from BMC to craft by way of big stouts or DIPAs. It happens, but most of the time you hear of the route that involves not-big stouts, wheat beers, or pale ales (which I still think can be off-putting to many people).
    There is such a thing as appreciating quality, I appreciated Blind Pig (my first craft beer, I liked the smell but not the taste) and Double Jack's quality before I liked hops. But taste preference tends to override that when choosing or liking a beer.

And props to page 17 of this thread for talking about what is and isn't snobbish, I agree with a lot of you. There's no need to demean someone for their preference, and it's OK to (politely) say no if offered something you don't like. Being a snob, BMC or craft, shouldn't be a badge of honor, it creates a divide between people who should otherwise drink what they like and enjoy each other's company. The day I'm a haughty beer snob is the day I should reevaluate my priorities.

Cheers!

frazbri and Tut like this.
  12. RaggaD

RaggaD Initiate (0) Jun 29, 2013 Florida

Drunk or not, I think you nailed it.

jcos likes this.
  13. JohnQ

JohnQ Initiate (0) Jul 7, 2012 California

What about an Alcoholic Beer Enthusiast ? or maybe Alcoholic Enthusiast ? I will drink a lot of things but not "just anything" especially a turd ! I used to frequent a tequila forum.Learned a lot but still have a lot to learn.But I spend more time here recently.Like a good shot or a good margarita "on the rock".Rum and coke and sometimes a good (gin) martini.I drink mostly at home so I don't usually go where I'm offered a beer that I don't like.But I will drink a BUD if it's offered.Which is very rarely.Usually there are some options or else have a cocktail.

But know your audience.I wouldn't take a DIPA or TIPA to drink with my Dad even though he likes some craft.But he likes the Kirkland variety pack so there you have it.Something with a little less octane.But still tasty.It doesn't have to be in your face over the top.

kemoarps likes this.
  14. Ayelikebeer

Trader

Just substitute 'not a pompous weasel' for 'liked' and I will accept that.

15. Dracarys

Dracarys Initiate (0) May 28, 2013 Alabama

I'm going to start offering my guests tree bark then call them pompous weasel snob Bear Grylls hating terrorists when they don't eat it.

16. Mark

Mark Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2001 California

Bullsh--- When I have had to go to my girlfriends family gatherings, they are wine drinkers, do they offer me wine by handing me a bottle without a glass? Hell no! What is the motto of this site? or at least what once was ? Respect beer! I won't drink a beer right from the bottle, a frozen glass, or a improper glass. I have brought my own glasses to gatherings and I don't care. I would like to see this beer snob thing stop getting so much ink here. We're beer lovers and those of us who also respect beer drink it or at least want to drink it properly. And yes I won't touch BMC or like swill. Call me a snob? I don't give a bleep. I lived during the days when craft beer did not exist save for anchor Steam and I couldn't find it nor recall seeing it in the stores. I won't go back.

17. OneBeertoRTA

OneBeertoRTA Devotee (449) Jan 2, 2010 California

More like a cry for help...

I would just wish places with decent selections like Yard House would have servers with the slightest bit of education. I love Karl Straus not because of the mediocre beers but the educated servers and surprise tasters they show up with and story behind them.

5thOhio likes this.
  18. woscar

woscar Initiate (0) Sep 19, 2013 Guatemala

Same here, LOL. I did this last Thursday and got weird looks all over.

19. woscar

woscar Initiate (0) Sep 19, 2013 Guatemala

This is exactly how I feel about this. If someone serves wine in the proper glassware at the proper temperature, this is seen as normal; try to do the same thing for beer and people will think you're a wanker. Why? People, somehow, got the idea that beer is cheap swill to get drunk on and nothing more. Fuck them.

20. Fitwitchik

Fitwitchik Initiate (0) Apr 18, 2011 Ohio

WTF?? Just be glad they left....

21. Ayelikebeer

Trader

There's no reason to bring Bear Grylls into this.

BILF and AwesomeSquad like this.
  22. StuartCarter

StuartCarter Initiate (0) Apr 25, 2006 Alabama

Yeah! Even Bear Grylls wouldn't drink AALs!

23. KYboymatt

KYboymatt Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2013 Kentucky

Generally I live by a set of governed rules, it may be my southern up bringing but who knows. 1. if your a guest at someones house you don't insult them, so if they offer you a beer, no matter how bad you accept. 2. if you brought your own you share and use it as a means to try and infect the person with the craft beer bug. 3. Being a snob is a position I never want to be in, so I don't count myself better than anyone else, nor is my sense of taste better. 4. If all else fails, switch to bourbon....

24. BeerWizard

BeerWizard Disciple (331) Dec 22, 2012 Colorado

I'm an easy pleaser. I do feel like nobody cares like I do about beer when I try to have a conversation with them about it, though. At least I'm trying to be inclusive!

25. dhannes

dhannes Zealot (541) Feb 14, 2010 Wisconsin

I was just at BW3 two weekends ago and felt the same way about their assortment. I tried their new one/house brand and it was tolerable. I find it funny that large chains are just not quite getting it yet.

26. dhannes

In the 80's, when it was one of the few alternatives to BMC, I'd order it...now it just tastes like water.

27. dhannes

Being offered a BMC and refusing it is really no different than if someone offered you a soft drink and offered you "Diet Pepsi, Squirt or Orange Crush." If they only have stuff you don't like, either opt for water or go for the lesser of two evils (assuming that they have more than one).

My problem is that at least one friend assumes craft beer means IPA...so they typically only have IPA's for me.

kemoarps and yemenmocha like this.
  28. RobM77

RobM77 Initiate (98) Feb 14, 2013 Illinois

Ok, I've already posted in this thread... but that seems like pages and pages ago. :slight_smile:

This thread has made me think of a few things.

1. Every last one of us, assuming we post here in forums, or write beer reviews - we are all "beer snobs" to one degree or another. That's a given. The mere notion that you've sought out a "beer forum" pretty much says we are all snobs.

2. I was bringing my own glassware to parties. This thread has made me see, and realize, what a complete tool/beer douche/ass clown that I have been for doing this. It's damn pretentious. Suck it up, and use a regular glass at the hosts house. It's insulting, and I see that now, for toting my own glassware. You don't see *gasp* wine snobs bringing their own wine glasses to parties (at least I don't). And don't give me shit about "this beer needs to be imbibed from a snifter, or a tulip, etc." Bullshit. You are at a party, with presumably friends. And someone invited you into their home. Don't insult them by pulling out your own glass. Chances are probably at least 50/50 they have at least one pint glass in the cupboard. Use it.

Now I feel like I owe an apology to every host of every party I've gone to this past year, where I've brought my own personal beer glass. I'm an ass clown. At least I was - I can admit it. :stuck_out_tongue:

fatboy91, toddw8, JohnQ and 3 others like this.
  29. Tut

The ongoing problem you and a number of others here have is the misunderstanding and misuse of the term snob. You're confusing it with connoisseur. Posting and reviewing on BA, having beer cellers, and seeking out unusual/special beers indicates we're beer connoisseurs. This has absolutely nothing to do with snobbery. People who appreciate good wine and are passionate about it aren't automatically snobs either. It all depends on one's attitude and demeanor.

A connoisseur becomes a snob when he looks down on and talks down to others who he considers unsophisticated about his interest.

I really wish people here would stop referring themselves and others as snobs just because they're geeky about beer and take their interest seriously.

LeRose, kemoarps, DemoniChris and 5 others like this.
  30. charlzm

charlzm Poo-Bah (2,151) Sep 3, 2007 California

Politely asking someone if he/she would like a drink is hospitality. Politely refusing the drink is acceptable.

I avoid the situation altogether by always bringing good beer to any function where I am less than 100% certain there will be something good to drink.

kemoarps, StuartCarter and Tut like this.
  31. charlzm

charlzm Poo-Bah (2,151) Sep 3, 2007 California

A little background - I didn't really drink beer until I was in my 30's - I skipped BMC products almost completely and started with craft.

So... Beer snob moment #2 - I went to a concert at The Greek Theater in Los Angeles. I had hospitality suite/meet and great passes, which means the record label allowed me into the area reserved for IP (not VIP) guests. All the free Bud products you could drink, wine, finger foods, etc...

Trying to be open-minded (I had only tried Bud proper once and hated it and had never tried Bud Lite), I tried a Bud longneck. I found the flavor so awful that I couldn't even finish one 12 ounce bottle. I then took ONE sip of Bud Lite and knew that was more than enough for one lifetime.

I then went out to the regular concert arena and paid over ten bucks for a little cup of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

kemoarps and stella77artois like this.
  32. quietdomino

quietdomino Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2013 Texas

Politely declining a Bud Light is not snobbish behavior. I'm not sure how anyone could think otherwise.

kemoarps, 5thOhio and StuartCarter like this.
  33. Ericness

Ericness Initiate (128) Nov 21, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

One of the clear lines of demarcation that has emerged here is HOW the Bud Light is declined. A polite "no thank you" is perfectly fine while a reply of "how dare you offer ME that swill you ignorant heathen" comes across as snobby. It's an important distinction that I think people on both sides of this often miss. I blame the alcohol :grinning:

kemoarps, frazbri and BMitch like this.
  34. quietdomino

quietdomino Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2013 Texas

Yeah, I think most people understand that distinction. However, there are still a few that think you must consume whatever is offered to you no matter what. That doesn't make any sense.

35. MeBeerGood

MeBeerGood Initiate (30) Jan 27, 2010 Massachusetts

In my best Comic Book Guy impression "There is no emoticons available to express how strongly I disagree with you.":slight_smile::wink::slight_frown::angry::confused::sunglasses::stuck_out_tongue::grinning::grimacing::flushed::rolling_eyes::astonished:

36. rgordon

rgordon Savant (974) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I know what you mean, mostly. Even the worst drunks might toss out the turd.

37. rgordon

rgordon Savant (974) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I drank 5 Sierra Nevadas out of the can on the golf course Saturday with my son and good friends. It was fantastic! 70% F, wild moving sky, excellent beer experience. I'm pretty sure a glass would have ruined it.

Bsetz, craigo19 and alucard6679 like this.
  38. Ayelikebeer

Trader

I suppose that is marginally better, but since everyone seems to want to make their point by drawing analogies, I will put forth a simple one: I love peas. I am constantly trying new peas, sharing peas with friends, seeking out new and exciting peas, trading peas. I go to a friend's house and they are serving peas. I politely say, sorry, but I don't eat THOSE peas. In what world am I not a jerk and a snob?

I suppose in the world of "I should never have to do anything I don't want to do", that is perfectly acceptable. But as an adult, and someone who believes in common courtesy, it is not good behavior.

39. BeerAssassin

BeerAssassin Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2012 Antarctica

I always hated beer thought it was all like Bud. Then I had my 1st Dragons Milk during a trip to see my family and now I can't get enough, and still don't like many beers outside of stouts. If my brother hadn't offered me that Dragons Milk, I'd still be hating beer now. My point is I think you should still offer stouts and DIPAs to non craft drinkers.

charlzm likes this.
  40. BeerAssassin

BeerAssassin Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2012 Antarctica

In the world when the peas can get you drunk and are extra calories that you don't enjoy.

Ericness likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.