Beer stops between Morro Bay & Santa Cruz?

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by Curb71, Feb 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Curb71

Curb71 Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2012 California

Thinking about making the drive up from Libertine Pub to Sante Adairius on Sunday and there doesn't seem to be much in between on that 2.5 hour drive unless I take the 101 instead of the 1 and go to Firestone Walker. Anything else I don't know about worth checking out?

2. LakerLeith

LakerLeith Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2013 California

if you come up the 101, you can make a beer stop at my house and drink beer with me.

3. mlaroche

mlaroche Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2005 California

The elephant seal beach north of Hearst Castle is worth a stop if you take 1.

BarrelHouse in Paso Robles is a good spot if you're already in Paso.

Curb71 likes this.
  4. einhorn

einhorn Aspirant (298) Nov 3, 2005 California

I'm pretty sure last stop for beer up Highway 1 is Cambria Brewing.

Curb71 likes this.
  5. Vivified

Vivified Initiate (0) Jul 9, 2014 California

Don't go there, save yourself

Curb71 likes this.
  6. rhertan

rhertan Initiate (132) Jan 22, 2008 California

There is Alvarado brewery in Monterey and I also think Peter B's. Haven't been to either so can't help but I did notice that Alvarado is on central coast taphunter so you could check their taplist.

Curb71 likes this.
  7. AptosBeerDrinker

AptosBeerDrinker Initiate (0) Aug 9, 2011 California

Two beer spots in Big Sur...Big Sur Taphouse and The Maiden Publick House. They are within 10 miles of each other.

If it's strictly about beer, you could just go 101. If it's about the drive, 1 for sure.

Curb71 and Zhiguli like this.
  8. Vivified

Shell Beach Brewery near Pismo is nice. Food is good, nice tap list.

Curb71 likes this.
  9. rmdownward

rmdownward Initiate (150) Feb 10, 2007 California

English Ales in Marina, just north of Monterey

Curb71 likes this.
  10. JayORear

JayORear Meyvn (1,263) Feb 22, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Even if there weren't a drop to drink on that stretch, it's still one of the most majestic coastlines in the world. But if I were to stop, it would be at Big Sur Taphouse, for sure.

rrryanc and Curb71 like this.
  11. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Initiate (0) Jul 12, 2012 California

yep.. always bring my own up there.

Curb71 likes this.
  12. DovaliHops

DovaliHops Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2009 California

You could always go to Cambria Beer Company...or is it Cambria Estates Winery? I get the two mixed up all the time.

mctizzz and thome50 like this.
  13. Vivified

I get the joke but seriously... don't recommend it.

14. thome50

thome50 Initiate (0) Dec 10, 2006 California

Nice joke and I'd very much recommend a stop at Cambria Brewing. Aaron, the owner, is a super nice guy and they have had more than 4 beers on tap the last few times I've gone.

rhertan likes this.
  15. DovaliHops

DovaliHops Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2009 California

I recommend it too. Aaron is a great guy, and I haven't had a bad beer from them. I only get over there like 2 or 3 times a year, but still haven't had anything bad. I have had some very good ones though.

16. peter831

peter831 Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2012 California

Corralitos Brewing just opened up last weekend, great spot, great beer. Just minutes from Sante Adairius.

LakerLeith and Curb71 like this.
  17. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,839) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

+1 for the Alvarado. Was there in December and was favorably impressed by the saison and IPA I tried. That being said, if your destination is SA, I'm not sure it's worth the bother. By the time you get to Monterey, you're less than an hour out from SA, so I would just press on to the tasting room and drink there.

LakerLeith, Curb71 and JayORear like this.
  18. LakerLeith

+1, I was there with him
    Saison, ipa and milk stout on nitro are all good

19. IggyWH

IggyWH Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2014 California

@Curb71 - You tell me no and then you make this post? DISAPPOINTED@

20. IggyWH

The more appropriate question Curb should have asked for our planning, is where's a good place to stop on Sunday night, where we can get good beer, good food and cheap lodging somewhere between SARA and LA?

21. LakerLeith

Yeah, still, my house.

spoonsock, Curb71 and IggyWH like this.
  22. LakerLeith

We don't have a corkage fee here. Just pop whatever the fuck you want kinda thing

Curb71 likes this.
  23. IggyWH

Do I have to put lotion on my skin?

gmo_vr626, LakerLeith and Vivified like this.
  24. AptosBeerDrinker

There is no such thing as cheap in Big Sur unless you plan on camping.

25. Inhiding

Inhiding Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2008 California

Hi guys and gals. I don't post much but I just got a call from a BA forum member asking about our brewery and he directed me to this thread and this user quoted in particular.

Vivified said the food was meh and the beer was no good. We do not do food so I do not know what place he is talking about. Could it be the no closed and defunct and overpriced Cambria Ale House? Possibly as they had some food service and several of the beers they brought in were in the meh range IMHO.

Vivified please send me a PM and if you can remember when you came in and what you sampled that will help me out in pin pointing any problems we may have experienced. Not sure what food you are referencing but attaching my brewery name and reputation is not doing me any favors. I look forward to our conversation.

To all those others, Dan Scott, Thome and the rest I thank you for your patronage and speaking highly of Cambria Beer Company. To Vivfied I ask you to come in and either try us for the first time or a second time and I will gladly buy you a taster flight or a pint.

Aaron
    Owner/brewer
    Cambria Beer Co

26. Vivified

Hello there! Honestly the visit was long ago, thinking 2+ years. The account of my experience about the food and beer that I gave to the BA who PM'ed me was as accurate as I can remember. You may be correct and I could be mistaken about the location due to the "Cambria" in the name. If that is the case, I apologize. I didn't mean to speak ill of a location I actually hadn't visited, just thought that I had. This was before I used untappd so unfortunately I can't go back and find out what is actually the case. I'll have to make it a point to stop in next time I'm near the area, thanks for the offer!

To all BA's, ignore my previous comment, as there's a good chance I went somewhere else with a similar name. Apologies for my mistake!

Cheers!

27. SirBottlecap

SirBottlecap Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2013 California

-----------------
    Very nice!

Vivified likes this.
  28. SirBottlecap

Very nice!

Vivified likes this.
  29. JayORear

Society Trader

FWIW, I'm planning to visit Cambria Beer Co. this weekend while camping at nearby San Simeon State Park. Will report back.

SirBottlecap likes this.
  30. DudeBeerYaBro

DudeBeerYaBro Initiate (175) Nov 3, 2014 California
    Trader

Where did you end up stopping?

31. SirBottlecap

Far fuckin' out, man! Is that the brewery down by the, uhh, ln-N-Out Burger? Any leads on their oat sodas or anything, man?

SHODriver likes this.
  32. JayORear

Society Trader

@Inhiding, others:
    Stopped in twice over the weekend, once for a taster board and once for a couple of pints. Solid beers, convivial atmosphere, friendly staff. Pretty sure @Vivified had a different place in mind. The amber ale was especially good.

Vivified likes this.
  33. Inhiding

Inhiding Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2008 California

I was out all day Saturday, and was in all day Sunday. When did you stop in? Glad you enjoyed our beers as well.. :slight_smile:

Vivified likes this.
  34. Curb71

@IggyWH did we stop anywhere?

35. JayORear

Society Trader

Was there near closing on Friday, then around noon on Saturday.

36. IggyWH

We ended up staying in Santa Cruz Sunday night, and went to Lupolo, 99 Beers, Burger and some other hipster type places.

Do you not remember the WORST hotel room ever?!?!

LakerLeith likes this.
  37. Curb71

I think I blocked that out of my mind which makes sense. However I think he's asking about the drive from point A to B. @IggyWH

38. IggyWH

We drove straight from Morro Bay to Sante on Sunday. I think on Monday, we just drove straight back. I don't remember stopping anywhere because it was a Monday, and Mondays usually blow for beer. I think Jenna was flying home on Monday evening too, so we didn't have much wiggle room to even attempt to stop anywhere.

Curb71 likes this.
  39. AptosBeerDrinker

Where did you stay?

40. Curb71

In Santa Cruz. If you mean which hotel, I've blocked that out of my mind. Just spend a few extra bucks and get one with good reviews if that's where you're going to stay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.