1. Donovanj

Donovanj Initiate (65) Mar 21, 2018 Georgia

As a real beer enthusiast, I noticed my preferred beer styles might have some correlation to my preferred wine and whiskey styles (just starting on my Whiskey journey). While I enjoy most styles of beers (except AAL), I do prefer strong IPA/DIPAs and darker and/or more flavorful ales, porters and stouts.

I find that I do not like white or light fruity wines but seek out strong reds with a nice tannic finish (the "IPA" of wines if you will).

In whiskey, I have learned that I strongly prefer malt and rye to grain (cheap corn) based whiskeys. (which matches my preference against corn/rice based beers). For example, the only bourbons I like (FYI - bourbons are made with at least 51% corn) are "high rye" bourbons. I also like ryes, all malt American and single malt scotches (just not the peat bombs from Islay).

The outlier in whiskey is my favorite style is high quality Irish, not the smoky peaty islay Scotch. My favorites being single pot still Irish like Redbreast cask strength, Redbreast Lustau, Powers John Lane and Greenspot/YellowSpot. I also really like all malt Irish like The Sexton, Writers Tears and The Irishman. I even like blended Irish (mix of single pot still malt with inexpensive column still corn) like Jameson caskmates stout, Slane and Tullamore DEW which doesn't make sense!

What are your favorite wine and whiskey styles compared to your favorite beer styles?

Jacobier10 and thesherrybomber like this.
  2. jkrich

jkrich Meyvn (1,194) Nov 1, 2001 Florida
    Society

I enjoy a dry white wine as I enjoy a fine pilsner.

3. Beer_Stan

Beer_Stan Initiate (121) Mar 15, 2014 California
    Trader

I tend to like essentially everything you just said but since my job is a buyer I cant afford to have a discerning palate. Everything is good, just not for everyone, all the time. I love robust Cabs and Zins, one that smacks of notes of leather, earth, and fruit, just as I like Heavy dry roasty stouts and Black IPAs. I LOVE JW BLK and DBL BLK but find I don't like much Islay scotch( hot bandaids and iodine aren't my thing).I like my flavors across the board to be expressive and true to form, if not extreme in some cases.

lastmango likes this.
  4. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,940) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Beers, I like a crisp Pils, and a well done DIPA. Wine a huge preference for Red Zins, but I don’t like heavily oaked reds, and I also like White Burgundy and Chardonnay . As to whiskey I much prefer Islay whiskies, but I also haven't found a Highland I didn’t like. Love Bourbon too, surprise, and Knob Creek Cask strength is superb, as is Jimmy Russel Reserve from Wild Turkey, it’s barrel proof too, guessing at 108-110.

5. Donovanj

that matches right up

6. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Initiate (141) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Trader

Hmm, I'm not sure my preferences align through different drinks, or else you'd expect my favorite beer style to be something like a lambic. I prefer beer on the malty side, and am biased toward more "old world" varieties. Increasingly learning to enjoy a nice helles, and the crispness, hop balance is something you don't get outsider of beer.

In terms of whisk(e)y, again, European (Irish and Scotch). Spiced, fruity, maritime, are some of the qualities I seek out (and of course, sherried casks). When it comes to bourbon, more oak and rye spice, since a lot can come off as too candied for my tastes.

I enjoy a nice port or cognac from time to time...

7. Jacobier10

Jacobier10 Poo-Bah (2,107) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Society

My beer and wine preferences are complete opposites. With beer, I tend to gravitate more towards lighter German-style lagers like Helles and pilsners. But, when I drink wine, I usually want a big chewy Cab or California Zinfandel. My wife loves Oregon Pinot Noir and we can never agree on a bottle to drink together when we're out somewhere.

Bourbon- I don't really have any preference. I like everything from wheated bourbon like Makers to barrel strength bourbons.

thesherrybomber likes this.
  8. Donovanj

Besides bourbon, what other whiskeys do you prefer? I prefer pretty much any other whiskey style to bourbon. Bourbons with their weird regulations have such a limited taste profile compared to other whiskeys...

9. Jacobier10

Jacobier10 Poo-Bah (2,107) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Society

There aren't many kinds of whiskey I don't like. When it comes to bourbon vs scotch I don't really have a preference either. Islay scotch is my favorite but sometimes I'm just in the mood for an easy drinking Speyside without the peat. Just finished off a bottle of Johnnie Walker Platinum (18 year) that was one of the best blended scotches I've ever had.

Blanton's and Knob Creek are my favorite bourbons. Have a bottle of Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve that I'm waiting to open.

10. Warwick7

Warwick7 Initiate (64) May 25, 2019 Maryland
    Trader

I enjoy Ale and Wine, they are Ancient and Modern drinks all at once. There both an extention of myself and my passion for my European heritage.

I love dry White Wines, butter forward Chardonnays. I enjoy them as I do Golden Ales like Leffe. I appreciate Stouts and Red Wine much in the same way. There are the strongest of the Ales and Wines that I drink and are seen as the climax.

I love Gin, specifally Tanqueray. I dont drink it as often, the feeling is amazing but I love the taste of Alcohol and I want to keep drinking and not get smashed. I have been drinking Gin straight but I have had it with lemon or lime neat and that was amazing. I will have to revisit it again. Gin drunk is one of the best drunk sensations l ever had. It is such and amazing high because you are not weighted down by the weight of the drink, sugar and whatever else is added.

11. Leftofthedial

Leftofthedial Disciple (378) Nov 17, 2011 California
    Trader

My favorite wine varietals/regions and my favorite beer styles share the common theme of diversity. If something is a good representation of the style, I’ll enjoy it.

Favorite Wine:
    Red Burgundy
    Brunello di Montalcino
    NZ Sauvignon Blanc
    Barolo
    White Burgundy
    Cali Cabs

Favorite Beer:
    Lambic
    Saisons
    Kellerbier
    BA stouts
    Pale ales

12. Donovanj

I will follow this up with correlation to coffee as well.

As I prefer strong flavorful beers, I also prefer strong flavorful medium dark roasted coffee to bright light roasted versions.

13. Aglassplease

Aglassplease Initiate (127) Dec 19, 2015 North Carolina
    Trader

14. Aglassplease

Aglassplease Initiate (127) Dec 19, 2015 North Carolina
    Trader

Very interesting post. Thank you. I often wondered how taste preference crossed over to other beverages and food as well. I like bold beers.Porters,stouts,IPA 60-100 IBU. Love aged small batch bourbon and rye. Single malt scotch as well. I also like redbreast.Michters rye is very good. I drink my coffee strong and black.LOL. Try a bottle of old weller 107 bourbon or buffalo trace, if you can find them. I live in NC and have my name on a call list at the local ABC store when they get that rare delivery. Red wine Cabernet merlot or red blend. Can't drink pilsners ,white wine,or whiskey that is not aged.

thesherrybomber likes this.
  15. lastmango

lastmango Champion (814) Dec 11, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society

Have to laugh about the iodine. Ordered an Islay in a fancy hotel in Pittsburgh (I have not explored Scotch much) and all of the sudden I started smelling something weird. I turned and saw my waitress coming down the isle with my drink and the closer she got, the stronger the "aroma" became. But what was that? I seemed to have a vague familiarity with it from the past. Later, it dawned on me that it reminded me of the doctor's office when I was a kid. Iodine. I'll take my Irish and bourbon. :slight_smile:

Beer_Stan likes this.
  16. BeardedWalrus

BeardedWalrus Disciple (326) Jun 5, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

Oddly enough despite loving bourbon barrel aged beers, I prefer Irish made whiskeys. As for wine I'm not particularly picky, but am fond of cabernets and merlots.

NextBestThing and lastmango like this.
  17. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Initiate (141) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Trader

Well, they are usually aged in ex-bourbon barrels... :stuck_out_tongue:

BeardedWalrus likes this.