Beer that got you interested in beers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Spenready, Oct 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dradair

dradair Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2014 Missouri

Mine was New Belgium's Fat Tire. Before that I was only drinking Bud Light and Rolling Rock just for the sake of getting drunk.

tvoss99 likes this.
  2. Bizoneill

Bizoneill Initiate (0) Apr 19, 2012 Connecticut

Delirium Tremens

3. WoostaBia

WoostaBia Zealot (505) May 24, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

4. DrinkAnchorSteam

DrinkAnchorSteam Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2014 Pennsylvania

Probably Guinness

5. WoostaBia

WoostaBia Zealot (505) May 24, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Blue Moon- the gateway beer. Had one a few years ago- tasted like a watered down wit beer.

6. Donco

Donco Devotee (487) Aug 12, 2013 Pennsylvania

IMO: Worth the hype/chase:rolling_eyes:
    Others (I know) disagree....

7. Donco

Donco Devotee (487) Aug 12, 2013 Pennsylvania

BCBS...another one worth the hype!

8. Travis_Slovacek

Travis_Slovacek Initiate (0) Sep 29, 2014 Pennsylvania

In NEPA you can't escape yuengling, but when I had a Franziskaner Weissbier it was only good beer from there on out.

9. Professor_Yeesh

Professor_Yeesh Initiate (0) Aug 20, 2014 California

Anchor Liberty Ale

10. beerded_drunk

beerded_drunk Aspirant (224) Aug 30, 2013 Pennsylvania

beer...... michelob (age 14)
    craft..... sierra nevada pale ale (age 20)

11. coldy

coldy Initiate (0) Sep 16, 2010 Delaware

Pete's Wicked

12. EricTKole

EricTKole Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2014 Michigan

When New Holland debuted Lucid(now Full Circle) I was fairly unfamiliar with the Kolsch style of beer. That one got me looking for more Kolsch brews.

13. WallstreetB

WallstreetB Initiate (0) Sep 18, 2014 Pennsylvania

Pete's Wicked Ale

14. Himself

Himself Initiate (0) May 20, 2014 Massachusetts

Theakston Old Peculier

15. eye

eye Initiate (82) Aug 29, 2014 Florida
    Trader

Stone Pale Ale

16. dexterk1

dexterk1 Meyvn (1,031) May 29, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

Goose Island beers in the 90s. 312 first of these.

17. LKFH

LKFH Disciple (305) Apr 9, 2007 California

Redhook ESB

18. Thirstygoat

Thirstygoat Defender (657) Nov 22, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

We have to go back to the fall of 1975 to when I first considered beer as, possibly, more than a thirst quencher and/or delivery system for alcohol.

My best friend at the time and I went to visit his brother at a college that we as high school seniors, were considering. At the Saturday party they started with a keg of Lowenbrau. This was as Miller was buying the company but prior to US brewing with the american recipe. A year or two later I'd see the Milwaukee Lowenbrau on shelves and scoff. A nascent, beer snob

19. MisSigsFan

MisSigsFan Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2013 California

20. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,543) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Miller never bought Lowenbrau - they merely acted as the brand's US importer and then licensed the brand name for their domestically-brewed product. Lowenbrau would later wind up in the portfolio of ABInBev, after Interbrew Deutschland merged with Spaten (inc. Franziskaner Löwenbräu, Dinkelacker) in 2004.

Shroud0fdoom likes this.
  21. fscottkey

fscottkey Initiate (0) Jan 18, 2014 New York

Great Lakes Eliot Ness was the first beer that let me know not all beer (BMC) sucks.

utopiajane and UrbanCaveman like this.
  22. tr9871

tr9871 Initiate (0) Apr 14, 2013 Florida

Mine was Widmer Drifter pale ale. This was back when MS still had a 6% abv cap. I thought this beer had so much flavor compared to what I had tried before and I was hooked. We also got SNPA, but I found it a bit dry at the time and Drifter had a bit more sweetness to balance the hops. It was my go-to for a while and facilitated my branching out into all things beer.

23. Guzzle_McBrew

Guzzle_McBrew Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2014 Connecticut

I'll never forget my first draft Gandhi Bot at the old NEBCO brewery. I was already 'into beers' I guess, but this was one of a couple of moments of what they could really be.

I hold on to this memory because I knew nothing and cared not about hype, rarity, or anything of the like at the time. It was just a slammin' beer the likes of which my palate had not seen, and I knew it immediately.

24. AUGRAD06

AUGRAD06 Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2014 Alabama

First Beer was Heineken. But Snake Handler IPA by Good People Brewing in Birmingham AL got me interested in craft beer.

25. MasCervezas

MasCervezas Initiate (74) Oct 15, 2014 North Carolina

Started out with 40s of Steel Reserve 211 in high school, then to miller or whatever else we had after beer-league hockey games. What got me really introduced to the good stuff was Castle Lager in South Africa while studying abroad. While it wasn't that great, I tried to find it when I got back home...no luck, but I did find a whole bunch of craft stores and tried Duck Rabbit's milk stout since it was from Farmville...from then on I've been hooked

26. leantom

leantom Initiate (0) Nov 20, 2011 Indiana

Allagash Curieux. Not my first beer, but it's the beer that got me hooked on craft beer and beer in general.

27. PsychoCrusher

PsychoCrusher Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2009 Texas

Satan Gold, it was my first Belgian Ale and first high gravity beer. After that, it was on. Thousands of dollars (and beers) some great times later I love beer even more than when I got into the scene back in 06'.

28. Spify

Spify Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2014 Indiana

Samuel Adams Harvest Collection, i had other beers before that such as Natty Ice and Bud, but needles to to say it was the Samuel Adams that got me interested in beers.

#108 Spify, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  29. Brolo75

Brolo75 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Deactivated

Redhook ESB back in the mid 90s, then a local brewery that is not longer around, along with Guinness Extra Stout. These three beers made realize that there is something beyond Budweiser, which I drank for years but no longer enjoy.

utopiajane likes this.
  30. MaximumYuks

MaximumYuks Devotee (468) Nov 30, 2013 Oregon

Life story/beer journey/too much detail...

High School (90s): The usual offerings - Bud Light, Miller Light, Keystone Light, etc. But even back then my friends and I would occasionally mix it up a bit with some Newcastle Brown Ale or Guinness Draught in pub cans...you know, exotic beers. One of the first craft beers I had was in this era at a Christmas party hosted by some older, cooler, slightly more sophisticated friends...SA Old Fezziwig.

Marines (early 2000s): SNPA, SN Porter, SN Stout, Red Hook beers, Widmer Bros, Kona Longboard Lager. This is really when I started realizing there was more to beer than BMC.

College (mid to late 2000s): PBR and Old Style (a regression of sorts I suppose, but y'know...price point/poor college student), SNPA (my go to "fancy" beer at the time), and I had a friend who would share La Fin Du Monde's with me at parties (I hated them...just wasn't ready yet/sensory overload). Appreciated beer and realized there was more to it than watery AALs, but wasn't really seeking out new experiences very often.

Currently: Hung out with an old buddy 3 or 4 years ago that I hadn't seen in years, and he really is to blame for my current love of/obsession with craft beer. That night we split a Peche Mortel, some 3 Floyds and Hoppin' Frog offerings. We hung out again a bit later and he split a Cantillon Classic Gueuze with me. It was love at first...errr...first taste?

31. fuzzbalz

fuzzbalz Disciple (340) Apr 13, 2002 Georgia

Stone Oaked Arrogant Bastard, in fact my wife took a pic of me trying it for the first time. It was a father's day gift from my son.
    [​IMG]

Please excuse the frosted mug, I was still drinking the fizzy yellow stuff at the time.

32. Shroud0fdoom

Shroud0fdoom Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2013 Maryland

No need to apologize. This is what makes us human. P.S. Im just wondering what was going through your mind?

33. BuschLeagueOC

BuschLeagueOC Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2014 California

My evolution (no judging): Coors Light --> Corona --> Fat Tire --> Sierra Nevada/Anchor Steam --> Stone IPA --> Ruination/Arrogant Bastard --> Whatever random six pack looked good at Total Wine --> Bruery Stouts/Sours

34. TappaKeggaBrew

TappaKeggaBrew Zealot (553) Apr 30, 2009 Virginia

Guinness Extra Stout, circa 1992.
    My college buddies were drinking pale yellow stuff that tasted awful to me, so I went as far in the othe direction as I could.
    And the rest, as they say, is history...

35. Beerbeforemarriage

Beerbeforemarriage Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2014 New York

Mackeson XXX Stout back in 2001. Got lucky enough to drink a lot before it went away.

36. MrWilliams

MrWilliams Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2013 Arizona

I was a regular Blue Moon/Shock top drinker with the occasional Guinness/Newcastle thrown in. Until I tried a CCB FL Cracker with dinner on my wives birthday, saw a sixer of Maduro brown a couple of days later and gave it a try, then I was hooked.

37. Tylertut

Tylertut Initiate (0) Oct 20, 2014 Ohio

I had a couple good crafts before I had DFH 60 minute and was hooked after that.

38. T_Reeves92

T_Reeves92 Initiate (0) Aug 23, 2014 Ohio

For my 21st birthday my girlfriend took me out to have a bar flight, one of them was Stone's Ruination IPA. That beer was what got me into craft beer. I can proudly say i dodged the BMC phase.

Jimmy_Melnarik likes this.
  39. Ian_B

Ian_B Initiate (0) Apr 2, 2014 Massachusetts

Didn't notice anyone mention Red Stripe.

Blue Moon was the other, for a few months after turning legal -- but Dogfish Head and Two Roads were the first beers where I felt like I was being introduced to real flavour.

Then I drove four hours to Hill Farmstead. I haven't come back yet.

Tylertut likes this.
  40. Sweffin

Sweffin Savant (989) Jun 25, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

Guinness -> Newcastle -> Edmund Fitzgerald -> Daisy Cutter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.