Beer truck crashed on the autobahn

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Beach, Jun 20, 2021.

1. Beach

Beach Initiate (107) Apr 30, 2006 Germany

A 28 yo driver was getting on the autobahn A-1 from the A-28 when he lost his beer load in the corner. At first, I thought it was Beck's beer and no great loss, but as I watched the video I noticed it was Jever beer which isn't too bad. I would never buy it down here when Gold Ochsen was available, but I drank enough of that stuff TDY up in northern Germany.
    These Semi-trailers are called Curtain trailers by the Brits and the sides are a fabric material with planks to hold the load.
    This happens from time to time when the driver takes a turn too fast and the Polizei blame the driver for poor load tie-down, although to be fair these trailers are not the best choice for transporting these loads.

woemad, mikeinportc, VABA and 10 others like this.
  2. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,517) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Hmmm... "not too bad...". OK.

Well, it appears that it happened at night, so independent "rescuers" should have gotten all the full, undamaged bottles that made it through intact before the sun came up and "light struck" the survivors!

One more reason to get Jever in cans - the rate of survival would have been higher, too.

woemad, mikeinportc, VABA and 11 others like this.
  3. Chipotle

Chipotle Aspirant (204) Apr 23, 2017 New York

In a followup story - The ichor from the thousands of slugs that converged on the scene caused dangerously slimy driving conditions.

4. b9d9

b9d9 Initiate (81) Nov 9, 2020 Germany

I've seen something similar right in front of my eyes. A Brinkhoff's truck overturned. We were allowed to pick up and keep the few bottles that survived this crash :grinning:

mikeinportc, VABA, zid and 10 others like this.
  5. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,621) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

JK, can you purchase Jever in cans in Jersey?

I have only seen Jever in bottles (green bottles) at my local beer retailers. I have not purchased this beer in several years since those bottles have always been old. :slight_frown:

Cheers!

Junior and b9d9 like this.
  6. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (9,934) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

When I was an OTR driver, I once pulled up an on-ramp and at the top sat a truck, right in the traffic lane, whose trailer had broken, spilling his load of Coors Light all over the road. The cops weren't even there yet. Dude had flares out, and there was nothing he could do in those pre-cell phone days until the cops got there and started taking things over. Dude was OK, and told me I didn't have to wait with him. I'll admit, I took a certain amount of joy in crushing as many of those Silver Bullets as my 18 wheels could hit.

7. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,517) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I can't (or, hopefully, just haven't yet) but @jonphisher can and has.

I asked my local "beer guy" to order some for me and easily committed to buying the case (well, if it was fresh enough for me :wink:), but he's disappeared - I think the store has new owners.

Bitterbill, b9d9 and JackHorzempa like this.
  8. morimech

morimech Poo-Bah (4,329) Nov 6, 2006 Minnesota
    Society

I bought Jever in 16oz cans here in MN a couple months ago fwiw.

woemad, JackHorzempa and Bitterbill like this.
  9. Giantspace

Giantspace Savant (987) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Fun Fun Fun in the Autobahn

Enjoy

LiquidAmber likes this.
  10. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,616) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Kraftwerk, anyone? :slight_smile:

KentT, woemad and VAcrossr like this.
  11. Beach

The problem is the Germans make great beers but haven't learned to put anything in a can. Well except draft beer and even then it tastes different than in the bottles. :-) Prost!

12. steveh

Society

Seeing a lot of German beers in cans over here these days. Even saw Weltenburger (Anno, IIRC) in cans last week. Looking forward to trying that fresh again.

woemad likes this.
  13. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,285) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

It was doubly exacerbated by a salt truck crashing in the chain reaction.

PapaGoose03, mikeinportc and Chipotle like this.
  14. Tallerboy

Tallerboy Initiate (173) Jun 17, 2017 New York
    Trader

15. Beach

I drove mainly a silo truck over the years in Germany along with a cement mixer and heating oil delivery but a few times I drove box curtain trailers. I picked up a beer load in Munich and ran it done to Switzerland. Most of the load was kegs.

KentT, woemad and BBThunderbolt like this.
  16. steveh

Society

Munich beer to Switzerland? Interesting -- tell us more. Didn't know the Swiss were into German beer.

My only experience with truck drivers on the Autobahn were the ones who didn't like traffic jams -- they'd use their horns instead of their brakes and expect everyone to get out of their way... pretty scary.

17. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (4,289) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

Same here in Spokane.

18. Beach

I have something around 3 or 4 million kilometers driving big trucks on the European roads. Why the Swiss load, no idea, but it was mainly Franziskaner Weissbier and Paulaner.

BBThunderbolt and steveh like this.
  19. LiquidAmber

LiquidAmber Poo-Bah (8,562) Feb 20, 2009 Washington
    Society

They have good taste!

20. steveh

Society

Weird thing is, there are some great breweries in Switzerland -- why I was surprised they were importing.

EmperorBatman and KentT like this.
  21. KentT

KentT Aspirant (244) Oct 15, 2008 Tennessee

Which Swiss brewers do you like? Educate me.

22. steveh

Society

Been a while, have to look them up. Traveled in the Interlaken area and enjoyed a few.

23. steveh

Society

KentT likes this.
  24. Beach

I've had Swiss beer over the years traveling on vacation and It's ok, It wasn't that good that I remember the names but one excursion years ago landed our group in Zurich at the Seenachfest. That was pretty wild.
    Maybe they wanted the Weiß or Weizen beer for the Bayern (Bavarian) tourists? :-)
    The company I worked for at the time had many customers in Switzerland. I hauled bottled water for Aldi Süd, picked up house heaters for Brussels, delivered wood planks from Germany, which are the things off the top of my head. Switzerland is not European Union so the border crossing (both ways) is a customs pain in the ass with a loaded truck.
    I wish I could post a photo of my truck after it was loaded in Munich.

#24 Beach, Jun 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
    KentT and steveh like this.
  25. billandsuz

billandsuz Zealot (510) Sep 1, 2004 New York

Curtain trailers are not well liked by anyone except forklift drivers. Side loading and unloading is the reason for their existence.

Then again if a trailer over turns its not like a van trailer will make much of a difference. In Merica we have plenty of space to spread out and not much need for the efficiency of side loaded trailers.
    One more way Europe is different.
    Cheers

26. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (9,934) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Here in the states curtainsides are generally used for longer freight; finished wood products, pipe, steel, things like that, that don't fit on standard pallets, but you still want it protected from the elements and don't want a flatbed.

27. billandsuz

billandsuz Zealot (510) Sep 1, 2004 New York

True.
    And comparatively rare. European haulers use these frequently.
    Along with shorter cab overs. If you need to use a ferry where length is important,, sure, makes sense. Don't get me started.
    Cheers

28. Thankin_Hank

Thankin_Hank Poo-Bah (1,997) Nov 18, 2013 Texas
    Society

I resent that. I was once a Coors Light drinker. :sunglasses:

BBThunderbolt likes this.