Beer Vocabulary Pronunciation

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by gQQgsJr, Jan 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AricGresko

AricGresko Initiate (0) Jan 25, 2014 Pennsylvania

The German beers that have the letter "W" are pronounced with a "V" sound. I took a German class in college as specifically asked about the beer names :grinning:

2. CraftFan5

CraftFan5 Crusader (767) May 14, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

Well... yeah, did someone think it was pronounced Paa-ruh-bow-luh? A parabola (puh-raa-buh-luh) is quadratic polynomial curve.

3. CraftFan5

CraftFan5 Crusader (767) May 14, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

Suh-cue-bus is something else entirely. It's a medieval mythical demonic seductress. Come on, don't you play Diablo?

Yeah, either curiaux or even curieau or curieaux, which is entirely too many vowels in a row. The way it's spelled it should really be pronounced keeur-yeu with the rolling "r." And yeah, that French "u" sound should be illegal in the western hemisphere (except in Quebec), because it's impossible to describe how to say it. I mentioned earlier that you position your tongue/mouth/lips as if you were whistling and then try to say "oooo." Get the front of your tongue right up against your bottom teeth and the back of your tongue touching your hard palate to create a very small chamber for the air to flow through.

#123 CraftFan5, Jan 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  4. LehighAce06

LehighAce06 Champion (802) Jul 31, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Never did Hastur's so maybe Stouts III.

BubalooBrewMaster likes this.
  5. JasW

JasW Aspirant (229) Jul 11, 2014 Florida

These beer pronunciation debates go way back. I remember long, long before even proto-craft, a guy who insisted on pronouncing (and ordering) Lowenbrau in the German "loo-ven-bwow" instead of the much more common "low-en-brow." I suppose it comes down in part to whether using the original language's pronunciation of the brand or style sounds pretentious.

Oh waiter! More shom-pan-yeh!

utopiajane likes this.
  6. chcfan

chcfan Zealot (558) Oct 29, 2008 California
    Trader

I think we're in agreeance which is a bastardization of the word agreement. The "z" sound is more appropriate but I was mostly pointing out that the "s" is not silent, though most people (including me for several years) think it is.

7. Stinky-Dinkins

Stinky-Dinkins Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2013 New Hampshire

But that's because that's how Germans pronounce W. I'm still confused about the obsession to pronounce things exactly as a "native" would. It absolutely makes sense to a degree... I mean it's not like I would ever call merlot mer-lot instead of mer-loh or anything.... but I wouldn't try to recreate every slight intonation and rhythm while pronouncing it exactly as a Frenchman would, either. If I were lucky enough to be able to afford a Jaguar, I would call it a Jag-wahr... even though it's an English car whose brand (and very language used to describe it, even) they created, and they would consider the proper pronunciation in general closer to Jag-you-ah.

8. chcfan

chcfan Zealot (558) Oct 29, 2008 California
    Trader

Curieux is actually pronounced: me-dee-o-kur

OleGee and utopiajane like this.
  9. Dreizhen

Dreizhen Aspirant (286) Jun 6, 2013 District of Columbia

Whatever someone tells you about the pronunciation of Rochefort, it's probably going to be wrong (at least to someone). When I lived in Brussels, I was told ten different pronunciations at a minimum. The whole three language thing they've got going doesn't help, either.

10. MJS08

MJS08 Disciple (318) Jul 29, 2014 Florida
    Society

Bar-rooooom (beer fart)

11. Thepleasantimbiber

Thepleasantimbiber Initiate (192) Oct 30, 2013 California
    Trader

English word, but I'm pretty sure I've heard "brettanomyces" accented and pronounced at least 40 different ways.

12. AndrewK

AndrewK Aspirant (274) Oct 20, 2006 California

Just make sure not to do the same when pronouncing Dutch/Flemish beers, as they do not pronounce a W like a V (think Westvleteren).

AricGresko likes this.
  13. OleGee

OleGee Initiate (133) Dec 27, 2013 New Jersey

What's the proper pronunciation for bro'? I've seen several variations . . .

14. BodiesLexus

BodiesLexus Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2011 New York

First, this whole thread could be called "Ask 10 educated BAs, get 10 different answers. With citation for all!" However, I enjoy learning stuff, so this is all good. Or, don't get Flemish and French speakers as partners in a game of charades? Sounds like.....

Now this:
    Damn, I just burst some stitches laughing at this one. You, sir, (or madam, as the case may be), I need to sit down and have a beer with. Priceless.

Stinky-Dinkins likes this.
  15. MisSigsFan

MisSigsFan Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2013 California

I thought Gueuze was pronounced "ger-zuh".

16. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (7,126) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

That slashed O is like a big err. So it is errl. Which means beer by the way at least in Danske. :wink:

TylerKitchens likes this.
  17. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (7,126) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

People have to really understand not to get their jimmies in a twist about this, certainly in America where sometimes we really don't seem to care about other cultures, languages, and sort of make our own things up, and they become our own spin on things...

Do you say Ji Roh? Or YEEEEEEROSSS??? I think if you say you want a gyro people will know what you want, same goes for plenty of other pronunciations. Just hand over a tasty pita ok!?

Sure it's fun to know how the history and sort of the origins, but people shouldn't get up in arms and have a riot.

I sure as heck know how to say Märzen, but if I walk into a bar and ask for one I am going to get some pretty confused looks at least in North America

It's ok ... I don't expect Germans to master pronunciations of some out cities either... we all get a pass people.

If you want some DC BraHHHH! while in DC you will be happy and fine, asking for DC BROOOY... you will probably get some funny looks and at least a good chuckle :slight_smile:

With having French rammed down my throat for nearly all my childhood, some pronunciations I can see where people are coming from, they don't know and heck they aren't supposed to, so lighten up. It kind of makes me ears buzz a bit since sometimes the words aren't really words, but the intention is there for what people want... so

not everything is really lost in translation.. :wink:

Greywulfken likes this.
  18. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (4,739) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Here we go...

As for Haandbryggeriet, type it into Google translate, with Norwegian as the source language, and you can click a speaker icon to hear it - "Haand" sounds like Hans (the name) but with a "d" instead of an "s," and "bryggeriet" sounds like "bruh-gear-iet "

Cheers :grinning:

#138 Greywulfken, Jan 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
    utopiajane likes this.
  19. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (4,739) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

lol :stuck_out_tongue:
    The style is Belgian, so the language is Dutch or French (or German, though that isn't applicable here)... a French person would say "doo-bill" but a Dutch person would say it more like "double"...
    Here in America, you're gonna sound weird asking the beer guy if he has any good "doo-bills" in stock (just like @smakawhat said about pronouncing Märzen correctly), so I'm gonna go with Stinky and stick with "double" :wink:

Cheers :grinning:

#139 Greywulfken, Jan 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  20. Homebrew

Homebrew Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2012 Connecticut

I had a customer come in and ask for gindi bit. ...??? no kidding, needless to sya he didn;'t get any

21. marioluck

marioluck Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2014 Massachusetts

On a related but unrelated topic, I often spend time in Qatar for work and there are at least four known pronunciations for the country. As far as I know there are only two accepted pronunciations for the US - America and 'Merica.

22. notchucknorris

notchucknorris Poo-Bah (1,807) May 28, 2010 California

Just made my day. Thank you!

sharpski likes this.
  23. doktorhops

doktorhops Poo-Bah (1,686) Jan 12, 2011 Australia

I used to pronounce it that way until heard a native German speaker say it "vine-ste-fah-ner"... but I would love to hear a second opinion from another German speaker because I've been to and studied German and I thought I was saying it the correct way for ages until I heard "vine-ste-fah-ner".

24. Gutes_Bier

Gutes_Bier Disciple (353) Jul 31, 2011 Germany

That's how I say it, emphasis on the first syllable. :slight_smile:

Edit: with the second syllable pronounced "shte-".

doktorhops likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.