Beer with an egg

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by razorsdescent, May 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. razorsdescent

razorsdescent Initiate (0) Dec 5, 2005 Pennsylvania

So, apparently in the 18th century, it was common to drop an egg into a beer as a liquid breakfast. This seems to have lasted well into the American 1960s with dockworkers and factory workers using this drink in much the same way. As someone with little common sense, and no fear of salmonella (due to my cockroach-like resistance to food poisoning and disease).

I am going to try this. I assume that the 18th century peasant version use da table beer, but what would the modern day version of this be? Do I drop an egg into a Founder's Breakfast Stout?

What would you guys recommend?

Thanks for any info.

2. tkdchampxi

tkdchampxi Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2010 New Jersey

3. razorsdescent

Hmmm, that certainly sounds like an interesting option, I might have to give it a try. I'm also interested in wine with some bread in it, the French peasant staple.

4. atpca

atpca Pooh-Bah (1,640) Jun 10, 2013 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

5. razorsdescent

That is an awesome link, and a cool idea, but seems more like a remedy, or desert. I am looking to replicate a period breakfast for my own curiosity. It seems to me that the sugar and spices would have been hard for peasants to get ahold of. Thanks for sharing though, I might try it next time I have a cold.

6. atpca

atpca Pooh-Bah (1,640) Jun 10, 2013 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Another option: http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2014/...rum-flip-stonefence-syllabub-rattleskull.html

7. machalel

machalel Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2012 Australia

so.... something like Caudell?
    http://www.godecookery.com/mtrans/mtrans22.htm

ORIGINAL RECEIPT:
    Caudell. ¶ Take faire tryed yolkes of eyren, and cast in a potte; and take good ale, or elles good wyn, a quantite, and sette it ouer þe fire / And whan hit is at boyling, take it fro the fire, and caste þere-to saffron, salt, Sugur; and ceson hit vppe, and serue hit forth hote.

- Austin, Thomas. Two Fifteenth-Century Cookery-Books. Harleian MS. 279 & Harl. MS. 4016, with extracts from Ashmole MS. 1429, Laud MS. 553, & Douce MS 55. London: for The Early English Text Society by N. Trübner & Co., 1888.

GODE COOKERY TRANSLATION:
    Take fair tried yolks of eggs, and cast in a pot; and take good ale, or else good wine, a quantity, and set it over the fire / And when it is boiling, take it from the fire, and cast there-to saffron, salt, Sugar; and season it up, and serve it forth hot.

inchrisin likes this.
  8. razorsdescent

I think I really need to hit the library, and search out period pieces. Sad that it doesn't mention the beer stule. I am too plebian to understand good ale.

I appreciate all the reaponses.

9. inchrisin

inchrisin Pooh-Bah (2,013) Sep 25, 2008 Indiana
    Pooh-Bah

My dad always roamed around the house saying, "Wadda want, an egg in yer beer?" As a six year old, I wasn't sure what to do with this question. The closest thing I've seen was on the HBO series, The Wire where the dock workers cracked open a raw egg into a pint of macrobrew and downed it like a man. I'm definitely going to try this sometime, and I'll probably start with something that costs under a buck. I'll move up to Breakfast Stout or a porter and post back.

10. inchrisin

inchrisin Pooh-Bah (2,013) Sep 25, 2008 Indiana
    Pooh-Bah

Ah man, I'm going to go read some Chaucer too!

11. razorsdescent

Did it with a maltier pale ale, it is about what I expected. Going to try it with a breakfast beer next. I encourage anyone who finds it appealing to give it a try. I did not stir it, I just gulped it down, with a big slug of egg at the last gulp.

12. zeroids7

zeroids7 Initiate (0) Mar 5, 2015

Surprised that I didn't know about this. I need to do my research! Regarding the beer pairing though, anything wheaty and/or malty? I don't know, egg just kind of struck me as a breakfast food.

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy
    -Zeriods

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.