Beer with Whiskey pairings...

Discussion in 'Other Beverages' started by nc41, Dec 23, 2019.

1. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,509) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

A shot and a beer is like so old school, a long time ago you could get this for well less than a buck, like 50 cents. A Schlitz or Schaefer and a Calvert or Seagrams 7 was pretty standard stuff, lol, and looking back it wasn’t so great.

So I’ve paired a seasonal beer in Highlands Cold Mountain with a Lagavulin 16 and thought it was excellent, and why wouldn’t it be? A lightly spiced Xmas beer with a peaty smoky Islay whiskey, they compliment pretty well. I like the cold sip of a beer to put out the peat smoke. Rinse and repeat. I’ve got a peat monster in Ardbeg 10 in the bullpen, New, and I’ve never had this particular islay whiskey, but I think I’m going to go opposite and pair it with a Surly Darkness for Xmas Eve, I’m off and cooking dinner . It might fight a bit, but I’m curious how a strong beer plays off a strong whiskey.

So favorites?

2. Bouleboubier

Bouleboubier Poo-Bah (2,820) Dec 22, 2006 New Jersey
    Society

Have you ever heard of the "Citywide Special"? I've long been a fan of that. Too many variations and interpretations to list within Philly city limits... I'm a big (outlier?) fan of JW Lees Harvest Lagavulin cask-aged, ever since I first tried it in 2012. Are you gonna make me seek out a bottle to try with a shot/dram of Lagavulin 16??? My bro's got a bottle of the latter. I know a couple places near me to get the ale. I am hanging with said bro tomorrow. I can and will report back my delicious, overwhelming, delectable, smoky, breakfast-y immersions, now that you've pushed me to it... A PBR and shot of Jim Beam will be a more accessible, welcome substitute any day though.

3. nc41

Society Trader

That’s a power pairing of a beer and a whiskey. Love to hear about that one.

Premo88 likes this.
  4. drunkenmess

drunkenmess Savant (933) Mar 27, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

I like a nice coffee stout with a side glass of Laphroaig 10. Like you said they compliment each other. Actually a nice robust porter also works just as well. :beers:

5. AWA

AWA Disciple (322) Jul 22, 2014 California

A lagunitas and a sazerac. Nothing special but i had them both and thought what the hell.

6. socon67

socon67 Poo-Bah (2,310) Jun 18, 2010 New York
    Society

I just had the Cold Mountain a week ago, and enjoyed it very much. Now I need to consider pairing it with a warming shot of a good whiskey.

Ahonky and Premo88 like this.
  7. nc41

Society Trader

Beer and whiskey imo are timeless, today it’s just a better whiskey chasing the beer and not a beer chasing down a shitty cheap whiskey. I like my whiskeys big and wild, hence the Isley whiskies or the big barrel proof Bourbons. I can’t pay the price for the silky smooth caramel toffee bombs, probably includes most Highlands and a good many Bourbons too. They’re nice, but they’re so smooth and unchallenging. I want to be challenged, Ardbeg 10 or Laphroaig 10 will challenge you, I just went thru a bottle of Lagavulin and it’s a tremendous whiskey, but I don’t think that extra 6 years in a barrel makes it worth the 2X pricing point of those 10s. The edges were rounded off, it was peaty and Smokey but a mellow subtle dram for an Isley.

Today’s I’m going with @ovaltine I’m not going to sleep on the Dark Lord today. That’ll be this afternoon beer, and I’ll save a glass to have when everyone’s gone to sip on the Ardbeg.

8. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (10,035) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

I drink a lot of BBA/RBA stouts/porters/quads/scotch ales. Those are prepaired, and only one glass needed! :grinning:

Premo88, beergoot, cjgiant and 3 others like this.
  9. nc41

Society Trader

Lol, that is true. It’s warm today too, o have the doors open, wish it was 20 degrees cooler. Quite sure that’s not the case in SD.

Premo88, bbtkd and TimG_0913 like this.
  10. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (10,035) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Can't complain about the 30/40 degree weather we've had the past few days, have been able to grill and most of the snow is gone. We'll grill in a blizzard anyway, but still nice to be grilling in shorts.

11. nc41

Society Trader

It’s 64 degrees right now and I’m in shorts and a light T, I’m making raviolis tonight so no grilling. Maybe steaks on the grill on Sat or Sunday though.

Premo88, TimG_0913 and bbtkd like this.
  12. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,213) Sep 15, 2014 New York
    Society

A few nights ago I had a tall, cold glass of fresh Lagunitas IPA with a few small pours of Woodford Reserve Bourbon, neat. It was a delicious combo.

ChicagoJ, Premo88, beergoot and 10 others like this.
  13. readyski

readyski Aspirant (276) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Trader

I view whiskey as more of a specialty item - BCBS and other bourbon barrel aged of its ilk beers seem to satisfy such desires for that dance :wink::slight_smile:

14. Claude-Irishman

Claude-Irishman Defender (673) Jun 4, 2015 New Jersey

A few bars in PA used to basically serve "boilermakers" like regular draft.About 25 years ago. A shot glass of Jack dropped into a pint of Bud used to sound delicious. Now I just take the barrel aged brew and forgo the headache-

Premo88, ChicagoJ, beergoot and 5 others like this.
  15. Rainintheface

Rainintheface Champion (824) Apr 30, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

Islay has the best whisky imho. Laphroaig being my personal preference. I don't do beer and a shot but may end the night with a dram after a few beers.

16. nc41

Society Trader

I hit the Triad of Islay the last few weeks, Lagavulin, Ardbeg 10, Laphroaig 10. They’re all great whiskies, all very different thru the smoke and peak reek.

17. Rainintheface

Rainintheface Champion (824) Apr 30, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

Love em all.

18. nc41

Society Trader

Nah, these are not shot and a beer kinda whiskey. It’s a beer with a sipping whiskey, it’s a crime if you inhale a great whiskey, or chase it with a beer. They work in harmony if the whiskey is good, the shot and a beer stuff was Schaefer and Seagrams 7.

19. jamesroses

jamesroses Disciple (336) Nov 8, 2015 Argentina

Last saturday one friend of mine visited me and brought a 6 pack of a good lager. I had this Wild Turkey 101. Maybe not the best combo but it was cool. That bourbon is STRONG.

20. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (567) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

KBS + EH Colonel Taylor.....

perfect--not shot but consumed expeditiously in appropriate portions.

I don't shoot no mo.' :wink:

Premo88, beergoot, cjgiant and 3 others like this.
  21. nc41

Society Trader

WT 101 would be my house bourbon.

Premo88, gmrv4, bwarner2015 and 2 others like this.
  22. nc41

Society Trader

Thats a mellow maker combo.

surfcaster and Premo88 like this.
  23. jamesroses

jamesroses Disciple (336) Nov 8, 2015 Argentina

I love it. After a couple of shots each and that 6 pack I tasted watermelons and peaches out of it. A bit gone maybe haha.

Premo88, thesherrybomber and nc41 like this.
  24. Warwick7

Warwick7 Initiate (82) May 25, 2019 Maryland

Love a good boiler Maker ots been years though. ill have to try agiain to see how i feel about it.

Premo88 likes this.
  25. nc41

Society Trader

The malt bill from WT suits my tastes, it not harsh, it’s not overly dependent on caramel and toffee notes. Be sure I’d prefer Knob Creek Single Barrel Small batch at 120 proof, but it’s 2x the cost plus. It’s like the Islay whiskies I love, every now and then some, but WT 101 is tough to beat by anyone.

Premo88 and thesherrybomber like this.
  26. brureview

brureview Poo-Bah (2,250) Jan 20, 2012 Massachusetts
    Society

Just to clarify- most of you drink the whiskey after the beer? I’ve had a boilermaker once perhaps. I usually drink Johnny Walker Red, Buffalo Trace or Elijah Craig Small Batch. Any suggestions for beer with these whiskeys?

ChicagoJ, Premo88 and nc41 like this.
  27. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,567) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

It ain't whisk(e)y, but you'd be hard-pressed to find anything as decadent and delicious as a jigger of Malibu with a can of Ten Fidy. Pour the Malibu into a large snifter, top with the Ten Fidy, and Bob's yer uncle. I call it "Thirteen Fidy Death by Coconut. "

28. nc41

Society Trader

Yep the beer first and then sip on a whiskey. After the first sip it’s a bit convoluted, it’s a one sip with a sip.

I like all kinda beers here, depends on the whiskey. With Isley whiskey I prefer a lighter palate cleanser of a beer, put that smoke out. With bourbons I like stronger beers, ipas and such, but there’s no right or wrong. I’m on an Islay kick, and anything from Mexican AALs to ipas work just fine. As a general preference I prefer my beers to be a 180 from the whiskey, like the contrast.

29. rozzom

rozzom Champion (878) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

My local favorite local bar in Brooklyn:

a) has a really interesting and well-curated spirits list to go alongside its excellent beer selection, so I do this a lot (the most recent was a Suarez Palantine with a Hazelburn 10). And more importantly for this discussion;

b) they also have a really cool boilermaker menu. It starts with something like a Miller HL + Mellow Corn, but works its way up in price to cover some great pairings. What’s even more interesting about it, is that they have several bottles of distilled versions of certain beers, so one of the options is Aecht Schlenkerla + its distilled counterpart. IIRC there are Uerige Sticke, Reissdorf Kolsch, Aventinus distilled options amongst others.

ChicagoJ, Premo88, cjgiant and 2 others like this.
  30. rozzom

rozzom Champion (878) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

yeah beer then whisky. though if you’re drinking something more.... functional (which I don’t think this thread was really touching on) then you’d prob go the other way round haha

Premo88 likes this.
  31. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (2,442) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I don’t go out of my way to purposefully pair the two, but the idea certainly appeals to me. This pairing was not planned and more the result of having both on hand, and this thread in mind.

It working really nicely for me right now. First time with any Jura. It’s smokey, but moderately so. It’s smooth. The finish is rather sweet (sherry cask) with dark dried fruit and spiced baked apples. The Irish Stout is dry and the Scotch helps draw out the malt profile a bit.

[​IMG]

32. Claude-Irishman

My favorite bourbon is Widow Jane's "Baby Jane"- Spectacular

ChicagoJ, Premo88 and nc41 like this.
  33. eppCOS

eppCOS Meyvn (1,486) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Any Islay with a pint of regular Guinness is a winner in my book. (just dump a shot in there).
    Peat, roast, foam and surf for days...

34. Immanuelrx

Immanuelrx Initiate (39) Jan 20, 2019 Belgium
    Trader

It’s a free country, you can mix anything you want. I enjoy jack and Baileys when my friend makes it. Sounds gross and i didn’t want to try it but they work together real nice. That being said, beer is more enjoyable on its own and whiskey is more enjoyable on its own. Part of why I enjoy both are the individual complexities. So I’m not a fan of haphazardly mixing both. But to each their own.

ChicagoJ, Premo88 and Claude-Irishman like this.
  35. Claude-Irishman

I agree, mixing fine spirits in beer is blasphemy- You sort of ruin both, "to each his own"

Mvsmvs92 and ChicagoJ like this.
  36. nc41

Society Trader

I’ll have to go on a zero whiskey run, especially after the massive Islay I’ve been on. A toffee caramel bourbon bomb kinda wouldn’t work, need some time to clear the palate. One whiskey I haven’t seen mentioned is Ardbeg Uigedail, never tried it, but it’s a big boy at like 107 proof, a mix of Quarter Cask in bourbon and whiskey in Orsolo cherry port barrels.

ChicagoJ and Premo88 like this.
  37. slacker79

slacker79 Initiate (167) Mar 27, 2011 Ohio
    Trader

I just got a bottle of Nick Offerman 11 year Lagavulin for xmas. All I have in the stable right now is IPAs and Stouts. I may keep it dark and try some with a Blackout or WOOT stout.

Premo88 and admobeer34 like this.
  38. Claude-Irishman

I am drinking 1 bottle of Long Trail Double Bag alt Bier with a bottle of VT IPA from Long trail. It is fantastic. Like a caramel coated IPA, both were 7% ABV. Mixing beer from the same brewer usually works well, different yeast can make things nasty if you use different makers. Would rather mix beer and save the fine Bourbon for later or another day.

ChicagoJ, Premo88 and admobeer34 like this.
  39. slacker79

slacker79 Initiate (167) Mar 27, 2011 Ohio
    Trader

I agree....You've got to keep 'em separated. No mixing.
    But sipping a little of both one at a time shouldn't be too bad.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  40. Claude-Irishman

It is awesome if you are partying out somewhere, but generally speaking the higher end booze I prefer alone.(I mean no beer),in moderation.I have had shooters and beer too many times to count. Usually along the lines of Bud and Jack, or Bass and Jim beam.

Premo88 likes this.