Beer Without Alcohol

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Iluvink, Jan 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. captaincoffee

captaincoffee Poo-Bah (1,831) Jul 10, 2011 Virginia
    Society Trader

With the caveat that it is exactly the same, I would have some. After all, I claim to like the way beer tastes. However, if we also assume the same number of calories, then I'll probably reach for the one with alcohol >90% of the time.

2. lester619

lester619 Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2009 Wisconsin

And a flute without holes is not a flute. A doughnut without a hole is a danish.

otispdriftwood likes this.
  3. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (350) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

If it didn't have calories too, then definitely

ssam likes this.
  4. sokol_1993

sokol_1993 Zealot (592) Jul 27, 2014 California

Imagine a Belgium quad without its well-hidden monstrous amount of alcohol in there... Jeez...
    The taste itself is excellent, but the buzz is what counts

5. cid71

cid71 Initiate (143) Mar 2, 2009 New Jersey
    Trader

Non -alcoholic beer inventor unveils non-adhesive glue --the onion. 2001.

6. Brolo75

Brolo75 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Deactivated

If NA beers actually tasted as good as beer with alcohol I would drink NA beers but every now and then I would reach for a beer with alcohol for the buzz.

7. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

That would be called Malta. Try it, and see how you feel about finishing it sometime.

86MonteSS and utopiajane like this.
  8. Lucular

Lucular Poo-Bah (4,284) Jun 20, 2014 Maryland
    Society Trader

I think about this sometimes because I do not care about getting a buzz at all - in fact I prefer not to and tend to drink lower ABV beers for that reason. So my answer to this question is "yes" but I doubt whether it's possible for the mouthfeel/flavor/aroma/etc to be the same without any alcohol. Otherwise, wouldn't someone have made a great-tasting non-alcoholic beer by now?

jRocco2021 likes this.
  9. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,932) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Society

No, I also don't drink decaf coffee

10. OldManMetal

OldManMetal Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2015 North Carolina

No alcohol, no deal.

11. tillmac62

tillmac62 Poo-Bah (1,830) Oct 2, 2013 South Carolina
    Society

No, but if a nonalcoholic VAS could be made and taste EXACTLY the same, I'd buy it.

12. meefmoff

meefmoff Zealot (504) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

If alcohol was somehow banned again but the current range of beer still existed on the shelves in an N/A form I would still drink it often because I enjoy the taste so much.

But as long as the alcohol version is available I don't see myself spending the money on the N/A versions of things unless I was specifically in a designated driver sort of situation. And even then, I'd rather just drink less regular beer than a gallon of N/A.

13. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Zealot (524) Oct 28, 2010 Iowa
    Trader

Sure. I'm a grown man with a family and a job. I don't drink to get plastered. I generally have a beer or two a few times per week.

Now I probably wouldn't have tried beer in the first place without the alcohol, but that's not the question being asked . . .

14. Vason

Vason Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2008 Ohio

I would say, if the beverage were both as described in the OP, and also cheaper, I would be all for it. I wouldn't pay the same price as regular beer as an NA brew, though.

15. ShanePB

ShanePB Poo-Bah (2,011) Sep 6, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Society

My feelings exactly.

16. Das_Reh

Das_Reh Disciple (332) Mar 25, 2013 Florida

I had made a similar thread a while back. While there are times I drink specifically for a buzz, generally I drink for flavor. If, hypothetically, beer tasted the same without alcohol (which is impossible), and was priced accordingly, I would never drink a soda ever again. Alcohol can be a limiting factor at times when all you want is a tasty drink.

17. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

How about what is done with food that is engineered. If non-alcoholic beer actually has some taste, label it "artificially flavored".

18. eldoctorador

eldoctorador Champion (824) Dec 12, 2014 Chile

19. oldn00b

oldn00b Savant (904) Feb 23, 2015 Virginia

So if it's basically just soda, then no - at least not regularly and I'd probably only have one every so often with a burger or pizza. But I might splurge and enjoy the diet versions if they tasted just as good as the original.

20. Urk1127

Urk1127 Poo-Bah (2,061) Jul 2, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I used to work for a company that had emergency on call pretty much i can get called in anytime and there was no minimum rest period after so i tried SO many n/a beers and its just not the same at all.

The abv is part of the fun.

21. TriggerFingers

TriggerFingers Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2012 California

My wife's family drinks Bud Light. I consider that "non-alcoholic."

22. eppCOS

eppCOS Poo-Bah (2,005) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Nope, but if I need to stay alert and placebo myself, I find that the Lacroix coconut flavored seltzer water can lead me to 'think' that I'm drinking OB Death by Coconut (without the mental death). So there...

23. TankerSteve

TankerSteve Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2014 Washington

I like the boozyness of some beers. The aroma and spicyness it provides is what I enjoy in certain beers like barleywines and quads. Those need the alcohol to be right to me. Drink them in a snifter at just below room temperature and savor them. But a lot of other beers like hefeweisens and esb, you know, enjoy by the pint type beers, I like to have a couple pints in the evening. I'd enjoy all those beers if they had no alcohol. I'll drink 2 pints of Oktoberfest beer in an evening. I'd love it just as much without getting tipsy.

24. SaisonRichBiere

SaisonRichBiere Savant (963) Mar 23, 2011 Michigan

Probably not. I love a big sweet stout, but I wouldn't want to ingest the calories without the alcohol.

I once tried going Alcohol-free for a while, so I bought some Malta bottles to keep up that malt fix. Tastes great, still has a good malt flavor, but it was like drinking super dense, syrupy soda, and I just couldn't do it. I barely ever drink soda, and a beer without the alcohol is pretty much a brewed malt soda.

25. ISpendTooMuchOnBeer

ISpendTooMuchOnBeer Initiate (96) Oct 29, 2015 Illinois

I would if reduced to very low ABV because I don't love anything more than a buzz. So if the taste was the same, I'd be fine with a 3-4% abv. But no buzz at all? That takes a lot away.

26. SteveSexton203

SteveSexton203 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2014 Connecticut

I was thinkign the same

Invinciblejets likes this.
  27. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,487) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I'd always have a case of Birell around if it was still brewed in the US with the recipe Ortlieb used for it (according to brewmaster Bill Moeller, it was Hurlimann's yeast fermenting a base version of McSorley's Ale [30 ibu's]), the labels even read "Brewers Gold" (altho' McSorley's used Hallertaus, so - who knows?). Hoppier than any US AAL of the era.

[​IMG]

#67 jesskidden, Jan 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
    LuskusDelph likes this.
  28. NateDyk47

NateDyk47 Initiate (0) Sep 10, 2015 Michigan

I'd definitely still drink beer sometimes- there are a lot I just think taste good. That being said, I'd probably drink A LOT less lol.

29. DaverCS

DaverCS Zealot (584) Dec 9, 2014 Arizona

I don't drink beer for anything but flavor. I specifically choose beers based on taste, not on their ABV. If I was concerned about ABV, I would drink hard liquor... which I don't.

NickTheGreat and twb0392 like this.
  30. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Crusader (737) Mar 28, 2009 California

Yes but not nearly as much. I love coffee and spend a decent amount of researching and trying different coffees. Would I spend 5 hours brewing it Saturday morning probably not.

31. pat61

pat61 Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2010 Minnesota

I have tried low/no alcohol beer and something about it just ain't right. When I am somewhere where everybody is drinking and I don't feel like a drink, a glass of tonic water tastes a lot better and a no alcohol beer.

32. matcris

matcris Meyvn (1,171) Sep 17, 2015 Arizona

Well, if it still tasted the same...FBS.

33. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2010 Wisconsin

I like beer and I like alcohol. I'm not saying my preference would that beers have none if I say I'd drink craft if it didn't have alcohol. The main thing for me is I'd like to be able to drink barrel aged stouts and stuff without getting hammered if you could make Bcbs at 5% abv I'd be all over it. So its not so much the alcohol content or lack there of, its more that if it weren't for the alcohol content I'd be able to drink more. With a pale ale or lager its negligible because after 2 or 3 I'm done anyways, but it'd be nice to be able to do that with the stronger abv beers and not have to be drunk.

34. twb0392

twb0392 Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2014 Wisconsin

If it tasted exactly the same, I would defiantly drink; plus without the booze, it woudnt make me fat

35. j111

j111 Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2016 Canada (ON)
    Deactivated

No buzz = pointless

Remind me of a time back in highschool when we were messing with the freshmen. Told them they were drinking real beer, (poured non-alcoholic into an empty Heineken can) and they pretended to be drunk. Then we told them it was non-alcoholic, lol.

36. rjd722

rjd722 Initiate (0) Nov 17, 2013 Maryland

No.

That said, I completely get what others have mentioned around wanting to enjoy all the best aspects of beer without worrying about getting drunk, being able to drive, make it to work, etc. I wouldn't say that I drink beer for the buzz, but the buzz is part of what makes beer the wonderful beverage that it is.

lester619 likes this.
  37. ssam

ssam Aspirant (284) Dec 2, 2008 California

It would actually be a pretty healthy drink. Full of anti-oxidants and other vitamins. Without the calories from alcohol, it would basically be like tea.

38. Mojo

Mojo Champion (836) Jul 21, 2012 Alabama
    Trader

I sit at my desk at work and constantly drink Coke Zero. If SNPA had no alcohol (and no calories) I would pound that stuff all day long.

twb0392 likes this.
  39. WCKDVBZ

WCKDVBZ Meyvn (1,455) May 9, 2014 South Carolina

Beer without alcohol is like butter without fat.

lester619, otispdriftwood and j111 like this.
  40. chrisjws

chrisjws Champion (885) Dec 3, 2014 California

If it tasted good, sure. I drink coffee, tea and other flavored drinks because I enjoy the flavor. And I don't do caffeine, so no I'm not drinking those for their respective buzzes.

LuskusDelph likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.