Beer Works Boston

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by Celtics76, Oct 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Celtics76

Celtics76 Sep 5, 2011 Rhode Island

What are everyone's thoughts? Before I got hardcore into craft, I used to love going there before a Sox or Celts game. The blueberry ale, red ale, and boston garden ale were favorites of mine. Now I find most of their brews mediocre. I had Pumpkin Works over the weekend and thought it was horrendous. The Back Bay IPA was OK, but nothing special.

I think my standards have risen substantially over the last couple years..

2. Jnorton00

Jnorton00 Apr 13, 2007 Massachusetts

I had some kind of stout there about 2-3 years ago that I though was fantastic. The Mako Shark skewers are awesome too!

3. jbertsch

jbertsch Dec 14, 2008 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Never been that impressed. Over the years I've had one or two that I enjoyed, but an equal number that I disliked. Everything else has just been mediocre to me. I always taste a sense of soap in almost anything I have from them. Anyone else?

4. jaasen64

jaasen64 Jan 15, 2012 Massachusetts

I like going there if I'm in the area (also before Celts/Bruins/Sox games), especially if it's a little bit less packed then everywhere else. I find some of their stuff is somewhat hit or miss. Their stouts/porters are usually pretty solid, but I'm not a huge fan of their other beers. Sometimes they have some interesting experimental stuff on cask. I think last year I had a cask-conditioned bourbon smoked red ale. It was definitely very interesting but by no means my favorite.

5. RichFellows

RichFellows Mar 13, 2011 Connecticut

I've had their beers at the Boston beer fest, not a fan. I wouldn't pour it out but I wouldn't go back for more.

6. bleakies

bleakies Apr 11, 2011 Massachusetts

I've worked two blocks away for about seven years now and haven't bothered dropping in once in that time.

However, as far as beers available at airports go, I was pleased to find their offerings at Logan and enjoyed a couple before catching a flight.

To some degree taste is a matter of context, apparently.

7. joeebbs

joeebbs Apr 29, 2009 Pennsylvania

It's a good gateway beer.

8. Dope

Dope Oct 5, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society

I think it depends on a lot. I've enjoyed their darker beers more. Last time I was there they had an irish cream stout that was excellent and an india pale porter which was decent. Honestly their regular irish stout is one of the best of the style in my opinion (not that that's saying much).

Would love to try their Pumpkinhead, it's currently #20 on the list of pumpkin beers with only 28 reviews.

Dope

9. Celtics76

Yes, it seems like they do a better job with the dark stuff. The one beer I did enjoy when I went last week was the Muddy Water Porter. I've also enjoyed Curly's Stout in the past.

10. benbking

benbking Dec 11, 2009 Rhode Island

I always stop in for their Pumpkin. I really enjoy their Belgian beers. The porter is always solid. I've never had a bad time at the Fenway or TD Garden area locations(note, I've only been to these, mostly the Garden area). I don't think of them as a place to go unless I have some event. But like I said, I have never had a bad time there.

11. kinopio

kinopio Apr 30, 2009 Massachusetts

The Beer Works by the Garden has the best beer selection and is the best overall bar in the area surrounding the Garden. Pretty good beer and plenty of room plus pool tables upstairs.

12. Auror

Auror Jan 1, 2010 Massachusetts

I might kick myself for this, but my go-to pre-game bar by the Garden is Ducali. Really good pizza and usually some decent tap options (Caveat: for the area). Crowd-pleasing beers, but better than nothing. Not sure how recently this was updated, but their "current" beers on tap:
    [​IMG]

Also, even though its only a 2-minute walk from the entrance, because it's across a busy street and in the "wrong" direction, it's usually way less crowded.

13. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

Each BeerWorks has ~ 14 beers or so. The regulars are OK but the specials can be anywhere from passable to terrific depending upon what is available at a particular moment (even at a particular location).

Whenever you go...try a bunch of the specials till you find something you like. Typically BW is great with samples provided you don't want 5 or more (in that case pay for a sampler).

In my experience you will always find a good beer to drink at BW.

14. Mbarry7

Mbarry7 Jun 8, 2012 Massachusetts

Last year after a Bruin's game I tried one of their pepper beers and have been scarred ever since. It tasted like a basic golden ale with black pepper thrown in. Since then I've stayed away, but reading the posts I'll have to try some of their darker brews.

Love this place! As you said, its location keeps it quiet but its a great spot before a Bruins game.

15. jlordi12

jlordi12 Jun 8, 2011 Massachusetts

Hingham location >>> Boston. I love the Pumpkin beer never had it in Boston though.

tigg924, Gushue3 and FrankLloydMike like this.
  16. WanderingFool

WanderingFool Aug 7, 2002 Massachusetts
    Society

I visit the Salem BW at least once a month (gotta use my VIP points) and always enjoy myself there. The beers and food are descent and service is always great. Sure, some of the beers are average, but I like going in not knowing what will be on tap. I love the fact that they brew so many styles of beer so on every visit I can try something new.

SunDevilBeer and Jnorton00 like this.
  17. benbking

benbking Dec 11, 2009 Rhode Island

A few months ago I had their Habanero Red Ale on cask, it was pretty fantastic. Couldn't handle more than one.

18. Longstaff

Longstaff May 23, 2002 Massachusetts

The IPA is good enough for airport beer I guess.

19. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

I have found most of their beers to be average but really enjoyed the Curly's Irish Stout a few years back.

20. bleakies

bleakies Apr 11, 2011 Massachusetts

Thinking on it some more, I recall thinking their beers were really good when I first moved to Boston from the West Coast in 1994; I also quickly made Harpoon my go-to IPA back then.

I assume that my lack of enthusiasm for either these days is more than anything an indication of the crazy proliferation of craft brew options since then.

21. fubar71478

fubar71478 Sep 11, 2005 Massachusetts

DJ's used to have a pretty good tap list, oskar blues Gordon... No clue what its like since the name change

22. yuppiescum

yuppiescum Jun 4, 2009 Massachusetts

Less shitheads here than at Hurricane's.

Also, if you're in lowell going to the Tsongas, less shitheads here than at the Lowell Brewery.

23. AdamsDTD

AdamsDTD Jun 5, 2011 Massachusetts

Certainly not one of the best brew pubs ever, but Boston is really lacking in numbers when it comes to BP style breweries. You've got Beer Works, Cambridge Brewing, and John Harvard all easily accessible by T. The only other BP is Watch City, and it's a pain to get there unless you have a car. So, since the Fenway location is right down the road from my place, I go there often. I agree that their darker offerings are usually the way to go, but once in a while they'll put out a monthly special that's pretty good.

The thing that keeps me coming back in their VIP program. Free to join, and every month you a 50% off discount loaded on your card (no more than $10 off). That's a couple free beers with dinner. The more you go, the more you rack up discounts. Gives me an excuse to go try out their monthly releases.

FrankLloydMike likes this.
  24. Longstaff

Longstaff May 23, 2002 Massachusetts

Not that I think its worth the trip (I live 2 miles away, used to be a mug club member, and haven't been in about 5 years), but Watch city can be easily reached by commuter rail from north station or porter - or the 70A bus from central square or the 170 from dudley sq.

25. cbeer88

cbeer88 Sep 5, 2007 Massachusetts

Their beers are hit or miss, but I never leave the Garden location unhappy. Fenway seems to be dumbed down a bit, and there are also better beer options in Fenway now. I don't know if it has something to do with the location, or the fact that I'm usually at Fenway in the summer when they have all the lighter beers and the Garden in the winter when they have all the heavier beers.

26. AdamsDTD

AdamsDTD Jun 5, 2011 Massachusetts

The Fenway location has Godzilla available right now. Interesting 15% beer - decent, but no way I could drink a full one. Way too sweet. Trying to grab some attention from beer Geeks who otherwise would pass the place by or call their brews mediocre.

27. Boto

Boto Apr 26, 2003 Connecticut

Beers aren't spectacular, but they aren't bad either. The food is pretty decent. I always find it to be a worthwhile stop.

28. Celtics76

I tried a sample of Godzilla over the weekend. I liked it, but for some reason they only serve it in 14 oz. glasses. I wasn't interested in getting slammed before the Ben Folds Five concert, so I passed. They should serve it in 8 or 10 oz. glasses.

29. jlordi12

jlordi12 Jun 8, 2011 Massachusetts

Every concert is worth getting slammed before

30. scootsmal

scootsmal Aug 15, 2012 New York

I still enjoy the Fenway Ale, every time i travel out that way from Albany, I grabbed 6 or 12 to bring home with me.

31. tigg924

tigg924 Apr 30, 2008 Massachusetts
    Society

I agree with most of what has been said--although I tend to go to the Hingham location more..Every now and then they have a beer that I think wow is this amazing. I believe they had Winter Warmer last December and was super impressed with the depth of flavors, but most of their stuff while not bad, it is not worth the drive. I will say I do like their food though.

FrankLloydMike likes this.
  32. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Mar 17, 2009 Massachusetts

Everytime I go to the Fenway Beer Works I think there is something really wrong with whatever I order.

33. FrankLloydMike

FrankLloydMike Aug 16, 2006 Massachusetts

I haven't been in over a year, but I've been very impressed with some of the stuff at the Hingham location.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.