BeerAdvocate and Untappd Have Joined Forces

Blog Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by Todd, Feb 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd

Todd Founder (13,254) Aug 23, 1996 Finland
    Staff Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

[​IMG]

I'm excited to announce that BeerAdvocate and Untappd have joined forces under the Next Glass umbrella. BeerAdvocate will maintain its distinct brand identity, and continue as its own community, website, series of events, and beyond.

We've been struggling to keep the lights on for over two years, and we still face some challenges, but I'm confident that this is the best path for all of us. Next Glass is committed to not only helping BeerAdvocate, but passionate about protecting and cultivating our unique culture, identity, and community.

I also have a lot of respect for what Greg Avola, Untappd's Co-Founder and CTO, and team have built over the past nine years, and this next chapter is a great opportunity to explore new features and opportunities. Untappd brings over 100 talented coworkers, killer app development, and powerful sales and insights to the table. BeerAdvocate brings nearly a quarter of a century of advocating for beer, the benchmark for beer reviews, an awesome community, the internet's largest beer forum, a decade of publishing experience and award-winning content, over 70 world-class beer events, and our "Respect Beer" motto.

Together, under one banner, BeerAdvocate and Untappd will explore ways to collaborate, strengthen both communities, and provide unmatched resources for its users and the industry.

It's a bittersweet moment, but I'm excited for the future and look forward to working with my new coworkers in taking BeerAdvocate to the next level. And get ready, Brooklyn. Extreme Beer Fest cometh this September. More on that soon...

In the meantime, I'm sure many of you will have questions and concerns. I might not have all the answers right now, but I encourage you to post them and I'll do my best.

As always, thanks for your support.

Sincerely,

Todd Alström
    Founder, BeerAdvocate

2. Todd

Todd Founder (13,254) Aug 23, 1996 Finland
    Staff Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I've tried to anticipate some of your questions specific to this announcement, and I'll update this FAQ as needed. For general site help and questions, please refer to our main FAQ.

GENERAL

What happened?
    A large portion of our business relied on revenue from BeerAdvocate magazine. As the focus of readers and advertisers shifted over recent years, our publication wasn't immune to the issues that have impacted the entire print media industry.

Next Glass stepped up to ensure that our awesome community that we've all worked hard to cultivate since 1996 can continue to thrive for years to come.

Are you on Untappd now?
    I am. I downloaded it while ago for research. https://untappd.com/user/toddalstrom

MY ACCOUNT & DATA

Does this mean I’m an Untappd user now?
    No, but you're free to become one: https://untappd.com, and there's a good chance that many of you already are.

Will I be able to link my BeerAdvocate and Untappd accounts?
    Not at this time, but you can add a link to your Untappd account on your profile page.

Can I sync my BeerAdvocate ratings with Untappd check-ins or vice versa?
    Not at this time.

What will happen to my Respect Beer Society membership?
    Nothing. Your perks are intact, your membership will expire as scheduled, and we hope you'll renew and continue to support our efforts.

Does Untappd own my data now?
    Next Glass has acquired the data.

WEBSITE

Are we going to start seeing Untappd branding on the website?
    We're currently exploring crossover promotions and functionality, but only where it makes sense for both communities and platforms. Next Glass understands BeerAdvocate and Untappd are distinct communities with different use cases and has no plans to change that. The brands will remain separate and I wouldn’t expect to see much Untappd branding on the BeerAdvocate site and vice-versa.

What website improvements or new features can we expect?
    We're currently exploring the endless opportunities, and I’m stoked to get to work with more financial and technical resources behind us.

Will this impact how we currently rate and review?
    No. BeerAdvocate and Untappd are separate platforms.

Will this impact beer scores, top rated beers, etc?
    No. BeerAdvocate and Untappd are separate platforms.

Will BeerAdvocate and Untappd sync data (beers, places, etc.)?
    We've discussed streamlining and centralizing some data and services, but nothing has been implemented at this time.

Will Untappd users have access to our forums?
    Of course. Anyone can participate in our forums, and we welcome all Untappd users to create an account and join the discussion.

FESTIVALS

Do you still plan on hosting beer fests?
    Hell yeah! In fact, I'm currently curating the invite list for Extreme Beer Fest in Brooklyn this September.

Are there any other BeerAdvocate fests planned for this year?
    Yes. We'll be mapping out the rest of the year beginning this week. Updates to follow!

Will you be involved with Untappd's beer fests and vice versa?
    Yes. We're all one family now and we'll be sharing our collective experiences and resources to host world-class events. That said, our fests will be different experiences and cater to different communities. Extreme will still be Extreme!

APP

What does this mean for the long-awaited BeerAdvocate app?
    As mentioned in recent updates, I decided to pull the beta app and take a step back as a lot had changed since we first started app development nearly two years ago. Now that we have the resources, we plan to revisit development later this year and we'll be sure to keep you updated on our progress.

MAGAZINE

Does this mean that BeerAdvocate magazine will come back?
    I've learned to never say never.

DOCRW, Roguer, TheBrewsky and 40 others like this.
  3. cambabeer

cambabeer Pooh-Bah (2,646) Dec 29, 2010 New York
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'm nothing but supportive of anything that keeps BeerAdvocate's lights on and around for a long time! Good luck with all the transition stuff that comes with big moves like this.

4. cavedave

cavedave Grand Pooh-Bah (4,145) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Mirrors the moves going on in the industry around us. Will be interesting to observe this from my new "ousider" status, as I technically don't have any irons in this fire anymore. I hope this is a great move for all involved.

5. DIM

DIM Grand Pooh-Bah (4,134) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Thanks for the update and for fourteen years of enjoying a profoundly impactful beer education website that also happens to be home to an awesome community of like-minded folks. Very excited to see what the future holds.:beers:

6. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,017) Oct 4, 2017 Germany

This day just keeps getting better and better...

7. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Grand Pooh-Bah (3,088) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

@Todd

I had no idea there was a struggle to keep the lights on the last two years.

I immediately went to sign up for a Respect Beer Society membership, but unfortunately it's under maintenance.

Best of luck, I obviously love this website, and wish you all the best with your new venture!

8. Zach423

Zach423 Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2018 Massachusetts

Respect the decision. I think keeping the branding but using untappd's resources and competencies will allow BA to prosper in years to come. Cheers to a promising and exciting future!

9. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Grand Pooh-Bah (4,186) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Thanks, @Todd. In my nearly five years years here you've always been "customer" focused. This is the most responsive site I've ever seen to user input. I trust you're making the right move, and I'm interested to see what it brings going forward.

2beerdogs, ChicagoJ, TrojanRB and 9 others like this.
  10. ATL6245

ATL6245 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,160) Aug 16, 2018 Georgia
    Pooh-Bah Society

Congrats! I can only image how challenging it has been over the past few years. I am glad BA is staying separate. I use both formats; but much prefer BA's. I really don't like Untappd rating format, as it lends itself to reviews by beer drinkers that are less concerned about honest reviews. Hope they keep the two separate. Also hope we get a BA app; still would love to have that over Untappd. Thanks!

Alefflicted, EdFed, Gary6R and 9 others like this.
  11. StoutSnob40

StoutSnob40 Grand Pooh-Bah (4,467) Jan 4, 2013 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Wow. That’s pretty nuts. Congrats. I’d be very bummed if this site ever went down, so I’m glad this has provided some breathing room.

12. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,017) Oct 4, 2017 Germany

I have pretty strong opinions on untappd, which would probably be inappropriate to voice here now. Speaking generally, I think it's quite sad that we live in a world where those who cater to the lowest common denominator and short attentions spans thrive, while those trying to create a more engaging, in-depth experience struggle to get by.

I wish Beer Advocate the best of luck and success in the future and hope that this will prove to be the right move going forward and that it will indeed remain a separate entity for a long time to come.

Concerning the app, I'm not sure how it would be in untappd's best interest to create a rival platform to its own, but then again, I have never been that concerned with apps.

Bierschenker, heydre, DOCRW and 53 others like this.
  13. Prager62

Prager62 Grand Pooh-Bah (4,126) May 7, 2010 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Congrats on a move that makes sense and should strengthen both sites. I'll be sending you and Jason friend requests.

14. Harrison8

Harrison8 Grand Pooh-Bah (5,771) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Sounds like a promising future for Beer Advocate and Untappd.

I'd be curious to see if we could ever upload our Beer Advocate beer's list to Untappd. It would make purchasing new beers a little more simple.

15. jageraholic

jageraholic Maven (1,378) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

Who owns Next Glass? I'm finding very little about it online.

16. highdesertdrinker

highdesertdrinker Pooh-Bah (2,492) Nov 5, 2012 Arizona
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I hope it works out for you guys. It’s just a hobby for most of us, but it’s your livelihood. Hopefully the website keeps marching along as before. It’s a great resource with a lot of good peeps.

17. honkey

honkey Maven (1,326) Aug 28, 2010 Arizona
    Trader

Interesting news. As long as the forums here remain mostly the same, I'll be a happy camper. This has been my favorite site for beer related news since I was 18... er, I mean 21 :wink:

18. rgordon

rgordon Pooh-Bah (2,677) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

Same here. I've been around since Pop the Cap in North Carolina in the early/mid 00s. This law allowing above 6% beer forever changed the course of North Carolina's influence in the national beer scene. I found this place supportive and have profound fondness for a number of folks around here. Bon chance........

19. deleted_user_950283

deleted_user_950283 Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2015
    Trader

Awesome news! Congratulations Todd, Jason, Greg, and all the rest of my fellow beer freaks. The best beer website and community is finally paired with the best beer smartphone app. We all can only benefit from the conglomeration in the future. :grin:

mickyge, 2beerdogs, Keztag and 13 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.