BeerAdvocate and Untappd Have Joined Forces

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by Todd, Feb 24, 2020.

1. meefmoff

meefmoff Devotee (446) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

If they were to use anything like the Netflix algorithm it will probably tell me that since I liked Bell's Two Hearted Ale I'll surely like meatloaf with mint jelly.

meanmutt, Junior, Bitterbill and 9 others like this.
  2. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Meyvn (1,185) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

Kind of sounds like how Pandora works.

sharpski likes this.
  3. IceAce

IceAce Savant (920) Jan 8, 2004 California
    Industry

Interesting.

I’ve been able to use Untappd on my iPad for the last three years.

Airrion and Bitterbill like this.
  4. Phoodcritic

Phoodcritic Defender (603) Jul 3, 2014 Michigan

Keep in mind that an important reason for the difference is that the scales are not exactly comparable. At the low end, Untappd's scale begins at 0.25 instead of 1.0, like BA.

5. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,636) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Which is also a reason why the rating score lists cannot be combined between platforms. At least they can't be combined without some algorithm massaging.

6. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Savant (938) Mar 10, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Sure, but do people really give beers different scores on each platform because of this? I doubt it. Wouldn't this only affect beers at the very lowest end of scores?

Jacobier10 and PapaGoose03 like this.
  7. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,935) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Hmmm, good question. I would hate to be the one to try and figure out if that's true, and to what degree.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  8. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,735) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

It allows people to give beers a lower score than they can here, so all other things being equal (which they probably aren't), that would result in lower average scores on UT.

9. Phoodcritic

Phoodcritic Defender (603) Jul 3, 2014 Michigan

I agree with MNAle, though I would assume that the score differential would be greatest at the low end and that it would diminish as you move to higher scores.

10. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,019) Sep 24, 2007 Liechtenstein
    Society Trader

Remember too, that at UT it's one blunt score, whereas here, the 5 aspects are all weighted differently.

11. PrimustheOne

PrimustheOne Initiate (74) Nov 23, 2016 New Hampshire

Late to the thread here, but who is the Mass Bay Brewing company, and who is the Clown Shoes in this merger between Untappd and BA?

(or who is the Sam Adams and who is the Dogfish Head)

12. Todd

Todd Founder (5,941) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

Should be obvious from my post, but we're the Dogfish Head.

AlcahueteJ and thebeers like this.
  13. PrimustheOne

PrimustheOne Initiate (74) Nov 23, 2016 New Hampshire

That's a bummer. I'm not a big fan of the Untappd format. I hope that BA doesn't get integrated out of existence.

Mergers are usually not good for the acquired company's employees.

14. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Initiate (164) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Trader

I do like how they have that "similar beers" feature (whether its simply random beers from the same style or brewery listed, or they have someone decide they are is another matter entirely).

15. BeerHunterski

BeerHunterski Initiate (78) May 16, 2010 Nevada

I agree to the idea of linking the scores. I can certainly appreciate the difference between a ba and untappd review. I went to untappd because it was far easier to
    BUT note that an formula for combining the scores while preserving ALL of the pertinent information is certainly achievable.

PapaGoose03, dukeandduke and REVZEB like this.
  16. BeerHunterski

BeerHunterski Initiate (78) May 16, 2010 Nevada

I admit that I have not read all of these comments, but I have not seen one that addresses the similarities and differences between Ba and Untappd the way I view them. IMO it boils down to what motivates you to spend time here in the first place. There is always the love of beer that gets us here to begin with...but (trying to go from the macro to the micro)

0. See what is going on in the global/local beer community
    1. See the opinions of other
    2. Share your opinions with others
    3. Avoid buying beers that you haven't had before, but no one else liked
    4. Catalog the beers you have tried to maximize your variety
    5. Catalog the beers you have tried in order to influence your next purchase

On the Macro level Ba wins - because of its detailed and well written reviews.
    On the Micro level Untappd wins - because of its quick and easy reviewing system.
    You could argue which is more important in today's society, but strict usage numbers would indicate the quick-n-dirty has won out. This doesn't have to be bad thing. The ideal answer IMO (again), would be to combine the platforms/data and reviews into one where you could do either format through the same interface.

sharpski likes this.