BeerAdvocate and Untappd Have Joined Forces

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by Todd, Feb 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,193) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

Yep. There was one this morning while walking my daughter to school.

hottenot and BBThunderbolt like this.
  2. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,269) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Wow. I think the same thing, and that is my language. All of us need to add on..

3. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,269) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I'm fairly close to moving to Nova Scotia, or somewhere in Cornwall. You're a vagabond, so where's your most trusted place? Hah.....

hottenot and BBThunderbolt like this.
  4. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (9,803) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Spoken like a kid who doesn't have his own lawn.

:wink:

Outliers aside, you can't deny that folks (of whatever age group) checking in a bunch of beers off a taster tray (and often a taster tray that is shared) make up an enormous amount of UT check-ins. I have a fair number of couples as UT friends who split a taster tray, and each check-in every beer. Hmm, 6 beersx4oz each divided by 2. Yup, they're contributing to the whole.

Shrug. I get it. UT is (as has been mentioned) often just beer Twitter/IG. Fine. But, those folks shouldn't expect the rest of the world to give their Hawt Taeks any weight.

5. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Random BTW: does your daughter ever ask her classmates how many beer pictures their parents took on the walk to school that day? Cuz, that'd be awesome if there were a scorecard on the wall:

Kid 1: my mom found 2 today!

Kid 2: yeah? Well my mom found 4!

Kid 3: my dad's a beer geek, and, we didn't find any :slight_frown:

Oh, the shame.

hottenot and distantmantra like this.
  6. ClePaul

ClePaul Zealot (594) May 30, 2013 Ohio

What is ‘untapped’... Is there a free trial subscription to try before you have to commit?

hottenot and nicholas2121 like this.
  7. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

No. It's free, period.

"Well... has been until now. And, presumably will remain so going forward"

hottenot and nicholas2121 like this.
  8. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,199) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

HEY! Listen ya big jerk, I spent like 6 years of my life mowing my parent’s lawn. Countless summer break weekend afternoons lost. I think I deserve a little more credit than that, thank you :wink::laughing:

Of course I can’t deny that. People use apps for their own reasons and their own way. BA is no different in that regard, look at how many “ratings” there are versus full on reviews. That’s no different then Untappd users checking into a bunch of little tasters with no score IMO. I’m just not friends with people like that so it’s really easy to not see those type of check-ins (unless you’re checking out an individuals beer listing of check ins that’s another story)

Boiling Untappd down to “it’s just beer Instagram.” does it a bit of a disservice, IMO. Instagram does not have tap lists, event lists, beer store inventory lists, etc. There is already an app for people who just want to brag/show off what they’re drinking or what they’re doing that day, it’s called Instagram (and for the hardcore show-off you can even sync the two apps if you want...haven’t tried it as I don’t do IG). I can’t argue that there isn’t a demographic of people who do both but I think it’s unfair to say that it comprises 100% the userbase of Untappd.

9. onezendad

onezendad Initiate (55) Apr 16, 2018 Canada (ON)

There is a supporter option where you get a bit more detailed data export option and a couple other things. Much like society here. But again like here all of the good stuff is free.

I think their business model surrounds having businesses pay to be verified, pay for sponsored badges and stuff like that.

Have to admit, the feature they have with the live menu board at the bar/taproom that has a ticker of check ins is pretty nifty.

10. jjamadorphd

jjamadorphd Poo-Bah (1,997) Jul 21, 2012 Florida
    Society Trader

---------------------

You pretty much summed up my thoughts on this news as well. Though I am not a fan of UnTappd, I really hope this helps BA. This is by far the better of the two and my hope is that this will improve the overall BA experience and not diminish it. Good Luck BA! Keep up the good work!

hottenot, Junior, ChicagoJ and 4 others like this.
  11. Kadonny

Kadonny Meyvn (1,387) Sep 5, 2007 Florida
    Trader

Never said that. I'm just not a fan of Lagunitas and how they did things years ago, so I just don't buy their beer......no matter who owns them.

12. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (5,369) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

One of the great aspects of Untappd's social media setup is you can tune and change what you see. Users can opt to follow whichever accounts they want, allowing them to curate what sorts of accounts they see. Users can also 'mute' other users within their feed, allowing you to stay friends but not see the other users content. Instagram offers the same flexibility, albeit maybe not muting. A lot of complaints about shit lords and people hyping up beer, but you have to be actively seeking out that content in order to engage with it.

13. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,908) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

At THE cloud or A cloud? :wink:

Hmm, this appeals to me (I'm not on Untappd). I have probably hundreds (if not more) of photos of beer on Google Photos.

14. deleted_user_950283

deleted_user_950283 Crusader (796) Feb 25, 2015
    Trader

You know, everything other people do doesn’t have to service you or others in anyway. I’m sure you have hobbies of your own. I remember everyone walking around like zombies on their phones trying to catch invisible Pokémon. At least those that ‘collect’ beer check ins actually caught their targets. :wink:

15. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,199) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

Another interesting feature for you homebrewers out there (I used to be, haven't in years), there's a pretty cool function on Untappd where you can create your own Homebrewery listing on there and add your different beers for people to check-in and review as if you were your own full fledged brewery. I've never used it myself but the people who homebrew seem to really love it...

Well said. I will say it's a pretty tedious process making Untappd tailored to your tastes but it's worth it once you get there. To be honest it took a good couple years for me to really get into it because I didn't really have a friends list and there just wasn't a whole lot to do on the app aside from check-ins. After moving to NJ from Arizona the app was a big help finding good bars, restaurants, bottle shops, etc. in the region so I started using it more. Once I started gaining more friends the app became a much more interesting experience.

16. deleted_user_950283

deleted_user_950283 Crusader (796) Feb 25, 2015
    Trader

My boss is a home brewer and did this. Very fun to check in his stuff, making a bunch of different meads lately. He is a beekeeper and has a bunch of fruit trees, makes it all from scratch.

The current bottle share collective we have all met through the nearby function as well. Now we are all thick as thieves, trying to outdo each other through work trips and beer trades. It’s the best thing Untappd has done for me in the 5 years I’ve been on it and BA simultaneously. :slight_smile:

hottenot, Bitterbill and tzieser like this.
  17. nuttybuddy9000

nuttybuddy9000 Initiate (62) Jun 6, 2014 California

You're right, people who use Untappd are idiots.

18. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Crusader (708) Mar 10, 2013 California
    Trader

Some are also BA users.

Proud idiot here.

hottenot, julie13, GuyFawkes and 14 others like this.
  19. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (10,034) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

Username checks out :clap:

hottenot, Ranbot, tzieser and 6 others like this.
  20. JOTAS

JOTAS Initiate (146) Jan 10, 2008 Virginia

Saw the article yesterday, glad BA will still be around.

21. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (5,369) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

It's interesting you say that since I use Untappd, and Instagram, very differently.

At this point, I follow about 10 accounts in Untappd. The only things I want to see in my feed are what my closest friends are consuming in my market area. Reason is to see what they think of what beer is available. Seeing what someone else is drinking in another state just doesn't bring me much interest since that beer is, for the most part, unavailable to me. Reducing my feed also: reduces my consumption/time on the app/phone and reduces my 'urge' to purchase something to 'keep up'.

Aside from my short feed, I like logging beer thoughts for me in my private account and seeing what is pouring where.

That's where a lot of Beer Advocate, WBAYDN included, lost me. Lots of great beers, but with no context or relevance to me.

22. DanielAron

DanielAron Disciple (353) May 15, 2005 Illinois
    Society Trader

You are absolutely right about those people who check into beers based on tasters. But there are plenty of people who take beer seriously, order a full beer and properly review it. It's sometimes a pain to scroll through all the garbage to find those reviews, but it's there. Maybe if we all join we can increase the level of content. That would be easier if we could access or treating from BA on untapped. It would also be easier if the word limit was dropped on untapped. That drove me off the platform a while back.

hottenot, Bitterbill and tzieser like this.
  23. DerekBeckham

DerekBeckham Initiate (21) Dec 15, 2017 North Carolina

As I've been using both tools for quite a while I suppose I'm All Good. BA forums is my best source for discovering new Beers while UnTapped has been my most reliable means of getting 10% off of said purchase at the register. Now, if we could get Total Wine's to show equal 'Respect' to the Beer Labels they sell I'd be beside myself.

hottenot, Bitterbill and Todd like this.
  24. DanielAron

DanielAron Disciple (353) May 15, 2005 Illinois
    Society Trader

@Todd - reading up on this acquisition, I saw that it was an asset purchase only. I hope it was enough for you to pay off BA's debts and make yourself at least a little cash!

Thanks for all your hard work for all of us all these years, and I wish everyone the best in this new chapter. Looking forward to seeing what comes next.

25. Summerteeth

Summerteeth Initiate (144) Sep 29, 2012 Massachusetts

This looks like the same kind of notice I received when Beer Advocate told me that my many missing monthly magazines “are coming”, then told me they were switching to a “quarterly” format because of “issues”, then told me that they were having more “issues” and were only able to send 2 magazines over 8 quarters. In other words, it sounds like more of the same old ragtime to me.

26. TheInsomniac

TheInsomniac Initiate (63) Jan 11, 2015 New Mexico

Heavy untappd user and I've been very disappointed at the backlash towards untappd I've detected in recent years. You people google everything you do in your life, but you have a problem when someone looks up that your mediocre sour earns the same ratings as Bud Ice? Make better beer.

With that said, I hope this doesn't hurt BA. I like diversity.

27. Todd

Todd Founder (6,652) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

Sounds like you might've missed the update from April 2019:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/beeradvocate-magazine-update.234551/

I wish we could've done more with the magazine, and we took care of subscribers the best we could.

28. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (4,073) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

As someone who doesn’t use Untappd, it’s been interesting to hear the different reasons why some like it.

I came to BA when I did because beer prices were starting to get a lot higher than I was used to, and I wanted to read about new beers before “investing” in them. I find ratings only slightly better than useless in that regard; quickly scrolling thru reviews on this site gives me a much better sense of whether I’ll like a beer than some numeric value slapped on it.

Putting the time into thoughtfully reviewing a beer isn’t particularly convenient — not very social in the moment either. It requires a pause and some reflection.

I hope the resource that BA offers in terms of a continually-expanded database of thoughtful, detailed reviews on a wide range of beers doesn’t get lost in favor of some of the other benefits that UT clearly provides for people.

29. The_Beer_Vest_Guys

The_Beer_Vest_Guys Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2019

I Think this is a phenomenal way to grow both respective entities. REgardless of where one was versus another, the two combined will be a powerhouse of knowledge and social good!

Looking forward to the coming developments.

Best,
    TBVG Paul

30. nuttybuddy9000

nuttybuddy9000 Initiate (62) Jun 6, 2014 California

Right on! I rarely use BeerAdvocate anymore. The Untappd experience is more satisfying. It's faster and it usually has numerous pictures of the beer I'm "researching". I was really just calling out the other fellow's comment for basically shaming Untappd users. Cheers!

31. Todd

Todd Founder (6,652) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

From what I've seen, we have a lot of crossover users here. (I'm one, too.)

hottenot, Ranbot, JLaw55 and 3 others like this.
  32. malrubius

malrubius Defender (642) Apr 24, 2007 Vermont
    Trader

How long before Inbev/A-B buys Next Glass?

hottenot likes this.
  33. mathtutorrob

mathtutorrob Initiate (39) Sep 8, 2018 California

I truly hope you will periodically poll BeerAdvocate members for the purpose of determining when a majority exists to support combining the rating data, and possibly also the collection methods. Combining the data would make it more useful to users of both apps/sites.

I run a college computer lab now, but I used to do systems analysis, and this is definitely the type of project for which I could offer some positive suggestions. Please contact me about this any time. I don't use Untapped. I found it to be of little use in comparison to the BeerAdvocate data, WRT my purpose of learning about specific beers, but I recognize that it's popular, and obviously useful to some.

DanielAron likes this.
  34. rbowser

rbowser Zealot (519) Sep 10, 2005 New Hampshire
    Society

GuyFawkes, PapaGoose03 and riptorn like this.
  35. rodndtube

rodndtube Initiate (163) Feb 24, 2007 Maryland

Best of luck to both Beer Advocate and UnTapped. They have the potential to coexist and be very complementary. I like BA for its depth of content and depth of knowledge. I like UT for it quick and dirty app where I can keep track of beers consumed for my own reference point. I also appreciate the "relationship" between brewery pubs and UT for maintaining current lists of "Beers on Tap," which enable non-IT geek brewers to focus on the beer and the pub and not the tech. BA could very much function as the R&D, basic and applied research think tank that complements the UT operations. And, no doubt, the UT team can provide tech support to the BA group. Nonetheless, BA has done an outstanding job on the tech side.

BTW, the new owner is the son of the founder of SAS, the foremost Statistical Analysis package from the dawn of mainframe/minicomputer stat analysis. So they should know big data and database design in a big way.

36. rbowser

rbowser Zealot (519) Sep 10, 2005 New Hampshire
    Society

This merger makes decent business sense. It must be expensive to maintain and develop new functionality for a web /app infrastructure. Untapped and Beeradvocate can now share this cost and untapped seems to have a bit more savvy in how to design for an increasingly mobile users.

I also think this can help position Beeradvocate/ untapped for a more global competition. As the craft beer world continues to spread around the globe, I imagine that US based services like BA, RateBeer, and Untapped will see startups in other parts of the world grab market share. I did just start using a home brewing app developed in Scandinavia (I think) and it is killer compared to its US developed competition.

Love Beeradvocate. 100% support.

deleted_user_950283 and Todd like this.
  37. hopley

hopley Poo-Bah (1,840) Feb 24, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Absolutely, Glad to hear!

Jason and Todd like this.
  38. AoxoMoxoA

AoxoMoxoA Initiate (0) Jun 3, 2006 Oregon

Congrats, Todd! I know this couldn't have been an easy decision. I've been mostly lurking on this site for 14 years! It's taught me so much about beer, and the knowledge-base and community here is literally irreplaceable. Thank you!

39. pat61

pat61 Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2010 Minnesota

I don't mind change, I just don't want to be there when it happens. I understand the need to find a more stable financial foundation especially after spending so many years sacrificing energy on a labor of love and congratulate BA for achieving this. For the folks at BA this will probably be like sending your kid off to college and not knowing what will the hell the kid will do or become. It might work out well, but it is probably pretty much out of your hands. I don't know how much UT and BA can meld. The UT reviews are a lot like voting for Home Coming Queen - they are based on personal likes and dislikes and are a bit of a popularity contest. BA has some of this but the written reviews are more thought out and have more objectivity. I can read the BA reviews and decide whether or not I want the beer. The UT reviews do not tell me that. Blending the two sets of reviews together reminds me of what we used to call in college - a thunder chicken nasty - everybody brings a bottle of something and pours it into a garbage pail. Toss in a bag of ice, and viola - a thunder chicken nasty. The end result of the blending will get you drunk but at best it is much less than the sum of the individual parts. I don't know how well the forums will ultimately do as a result of the "merger." I hope they survive intact but they too could go off in any direction. I am also concerned about my thoughts, opinions, writing, reviews, etc. being used to help someone like AB INBev dominate the craft beer market and gobble up or bankrupt small independent brewers. I grew up in an era when there were something like 70 breweries in the US owned by a handful of people and frankly the beer sucked. I would hate to see a return of that situation and i would hate to think that I participated to the return of that situation in anyway.

40. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,193) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

I've seen heavy use of Untappd's paid services and lots of local checkins while on vacation in Japan, Hungary, Poland and the Netherlands over the last couple years.

rbowser and deleted_user_950283 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.