BeerAdvocate and Untappd Have Joined Forces

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by Todd, Feb 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scottsbeer

Scottsbeer Meyvn (1,180) Nov 3, 2017 Florida
    Trader

TLDR

julie13, TJM, nicholas2121 and 12 others like this.
  2. Todd

Todd Founder (6,653) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

We're focusing on 2020 right now, which currently includes Extreme Beer Fest: Brooklyn in September. More to follow...

3. DrumKid003

DrumKid003 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 Oklahoma

I've only ever used Untappd for reviews, seeing what my friends are drinking, what people are drinking nearby (within 10 miles), and what shops/breweries have available on posted menus (eve if they are out-of-date). If Untappd opened up the Notes section to 1,000 characters it would be perfect for me because I've had several beers where it took the initial check-in and 2-3 (140 character limit) comments to finish the thought. I come here to mainly for the WBAYDN thread. The forums section for me has no use because the SW section is ruled almost entirely by entries for/about Texas, and I don't have the time to start new threads.

I saw someone mention early something about Untappd only being for the social media crowd, but I'm the outlier in that sense because I don't have Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc. and refuse to take part in that bullshit excuse for social interaction.

KooVee, Bitterbill and Junior like this.
  4. Summerteeth

Summerteeth Initiate (144) Sep 29, 2012 Massachusetts

nope. I got the update. It was like all the other ones. I was left with the feeling that you guys weren’t bring honest with the people who signed up and paid for the magazine.

5. DrumKid003

DrumKid003 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 Oklahoma

I would be more inclined to post on WBAYDN, but the fact that I have to log in to another account (photo storage), copy/paste a link, isn't worth the 5 minutes to me.

Jwhit, Rocktire and distantmantra like this.
  6. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,425) Sep 15, 2014 Colorado
    Society

I have a lot of mixed feelings here. I won't lie--I am a little sad and disappointed that a website that was so passionate about being independent has sold out. But, on the other hand, I also can't blame you if you keeping the lights on was a real struggle. I sincerely hope you won't regret this decision and that Next Glass will allow you to retain creative control. I'm not a huge fan of Untappd. I see its appeal but I prefer writing more thoughtful reviews and talking on the forums. Hopefully we can all continue to do that. Whatever the case, I wish you the best of luck and I hope you made the right choice.

7. Todd

Not sure how much more transparent we could've been (we laid it all out), but I understand and share your frustration.

Amendm and Junior like this.
  8. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,098) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Now I've thought about it, having the best place to get beer recommendations (BeerAdvocate) and the best place to find out where that beer is available near to you (Untappd) under one umbrella just kinda makes sense. Add to it the other unique benefits to users of both sites and it is hard to find negatives to bother mentioning.

9. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,425) Sep 15, 2014 Colorado
    Society

So long as Next Glass doesn't screw up any of the major positive parts about Beer Advocate, I think we can all be happy with that. I'm all for it.

10. ATL6245

ATL6245 Meyvn (1,006) Aug 16, 2018 Georgia
    Society

BA is much better. Not having an app was a huge drawback. One of the best features of Untappd is many breweries list and constantly update their current tap list. It makes deciding what tap room you are visiting that day much easier.

julie13, Junior, Bitterbill and 4 others like this.
  11. DEdesings57

DEdesings57 Crusader (723) Aug 26, 2012 New Jersey
    Trader

Seems like change is coming!

Always felt that BA required a much higher leaning curve to properly use in comparison to untappd, take posting images for example or the more complex menu options and fourms ect.

I always felt only those who are willing and able to use BA will use BA and those group of people are different from the Untappd sec of people who focus more on instantaneous gratification and convenience.

I also find the BA sect are more knowledgeable and more serious when it comes to beer and provided more legit it reviews as compared to untappd.

I really hope that BA will find a way to advance without eliminating it's identity.

12. VoodooBear

VoodooBear Champion (864) Aug 25, 2012 Puerto Rico
    Trader

At least it wasn't AB InBev.

13. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (3,142) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Society Trader

You have channeled my concerns and curiosities in your post. I am saddened initially, but as has been noted, there seems to be advantages to this union. I wish nothing but the best for BA.

14. sculls65

sculls65 Aspirant (251) Dec 15, 2008 Michigan

Whew.. not one wink of sleep lost.

15. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,435) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

Well
    At least those 6 beers are in the database, so other people can give them a more proper review.

officerbill and BourbonJersey like this.
  16. riptorn

riptorn Zealot (532) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Trader

As a small business owner who has struggled with possible shuttering, that sounds like many sleepless nights and thoughts of "what the heck are we gonna do now?".
    Hopefully this move will provide the resources needed to build on what has made BA my online “go-to” for all things beer.

…..looking forward to seeing the ongoing results of integration, migration and separation with Untappd.

2beerdogs, JLaw55, Bitterbill and 5 others like this.
  17. BourbonJersey

BourbonJersey Aspirant (254) Jan 18, 2014 New Jersey

This. I used to post on here quite frequently, but the level of pretentiousness by a portion of the users chased me off. Having read through this thread about some user's views on Untappd, I see that hasn't changed much.

I use Untappd to log my beer for me. I check ratings of beers from my friends to see if they liked it (which I believe is a stronger indicator than the overall score) before I buy it. I take the overall ratings with a grain of salt - but, this by no means means that those ratings aren't relevant or useful.

I log tasters because why not? Every beer I tried at Extreme Beer Fest over the last 5 years has been logged. Are my ratings the most accurate representation of the beers? No, absolutely not, especially when I'm 20+ 2oz pours in. But it's my page and I can do as I please. I love using Untappd as a beer journal. I probably would have used BA's app for this instead had it been operational, but it is what it is.

Too many people are too concerned about things that don't affect them. Why are you complaining about what is going on on Untappd if you don't have an account? Or Instagram if you don't have an Instagram?

I think this move is smart for BA. I think that BA is still a useful tool with a lot of good discussions. I don't think adding the Untappd userbase will change that - but even if it does, isn't that still better than the site ceasing to exist?

18. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,913) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

I wonder if Venom will make a comeback?

I'm probably dating myself here. But hey, I'm a good looking guy, there's worse people to date.

19. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,271) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

The rapport and humor on BA is notable and the only reason I keep coming back.

20. Phoodcritic

Phoodcritic Crusader (771) Jul 3, 2014 Michigan

Beer karma is soo much cooler than badges.

Amendm, 2beerdogs, jasonmason and 8 others like this.
  21. gbiello

gbiello Zealot (574) Oct 23, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

Both sites have their strengths. Like Bhubbard34 says above, my main interest is keeping the top 250 list and trading on BeerAdvocate intact.

Bitterbill, Jason and Todd like this.
  22. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (2,380) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

We'll see.

My point was about ownership and control and who stays in charge.

Whatever the decisions are going forward for Laguintas, Magee will have no say about it.

History says the same will be true for BA and the Alström brothers.

23. Summerteeth

I do not see the word “certain” in the quote you reference.

2beerdogs likes this.
  24. Summerteeth

Y
    no, you kept stringing us along telling us that our magazines were “on the way” but they never came. I understand if the business model wasn’t working anymore but you should have been actually “transparent” and told us it was over, refunded our money, and called it a day.

distantmantra likes this.
  25. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (2,051) Apr 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

As a magazine subscriber, as well as someone who purchased gift subscriptions for a friend, I never was under the impression that someone was "stringing us along". I thought the communication was clear and timely. I was disappointed that the magazine was ending, but I understood based on the information provided.

2beerdogs and Todd like this.
  26. MNAle

Society

Amazing how many different ways "pretentiousness" seems to be defined.

Is that better or worse than dismissiveness?

2beerdogs likes this.
  27. VanTyne

VanTyne Initiate (87) Jun 24, 2013 Maine

Whatever keeps the lights on. Like and use both of you. Learned tons at both, and from this community. And the festivals.

nicholas2121, Bitterbill and Todd like this.
  28. GratefulBeerGuy

GratefulBeerGuy Poo-Bah (3,458) May 20, 2006 New Hampshire
    Society Trader

Looking on the bright side: the BA APP MUST exist!

Bitterbill and Todd like this.
  29. BourbonJersey

BourbonJersey Aspirant (254) Jan 18, 2014 New Jersey

I mean I'm only really defining it one way as far as this userbase is concerned...

Also, I don't mind being dismissive of people that look down on other people. I am incredibly dismissive of the pretentious view that journalism/twitter comment portrays. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it's unreasonable that people feel the need to judge others based on how they drink beer or what beer they drink or what app they use to log/rate/discuss beers.

Just my two cents.

colby600 and distantmantra like this.
  30. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (11,416) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Long time lurker on Untapped. I find myself going there more and more in the last year. I just opened an account. The maps ,the taplists and new brews at stores are useful to me.

Bitterbill and Todd like this.
  31. Korbynlehr

Korbynlehr Meyvn (1,444) Jan 23, 2015 Kentucky

Will we be able to merge our accounts?

32. Todd

33. MNAle

Society

Instead of being dismissive, how about disproving my analogy.

I don't get my news from Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.

I don't get my beer information from Untapped.

If you take offense at the characterization of Untapped as social media, I suggest you are the pretentious one.

34. traction

traction Devotee (466) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Trader

I will try to be optimistic about this one. I feel sorry for the devs who have to deal with trying to link the two databases together it seems like it would be a huge PITA. My hope is BA continues to stay separate as a forum permanently that coexists with Untappd rather than a merging of the two sites. Good luck to everyone involved.

35. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Poo-Bah (1,822) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Society

This is my main apprehension. My understanding is Untapped has a single rating metric (Overall), vs. the five metrics used by Beer Advocate and RateBeer (Appearance, Aroma, Taste, Mouthfeel, Overall). Beers can look and smell great and taste just OK, or vice versa. My main aversion to Untapped is the lack of thought to these five characteristics in a rating.

Also, while an initial high BA beer score may prompt me to consider a beer, reading the reviews, focusing on reviews of a beer within a style, provides better input than 4.5 Haze/Stout scores vs. 3.5 Porter or Lager score (pour me a haze bro, this lager is whack).

These factors, the higher thought involved and input submitted across the five rating components, makes me consider BA's ratings far more than I would Untapped, despite the larger number of users / ratings or checkins at Untapped.
    [​IMG]

Doesn't provide much useful information vs. BA Rating below

4.51/5 rDev +0.4%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12oz can into a Teku glass (2020)

Look: Pours a clear orange/amber with a rocky off-white head that leaves behind some spotty, sticky lacing.
    Smell: Pine, citrus/citrus peel, caramel, and bread.
    Taste: Follows the nose, bitter earthiness is balanced out by an equally intense honey sweetness.
    Feel: Full-medium body, dry/sticky, relatively light carbonation.
    Overall: A classic, and a yearly release worth checking out every year.

Rating within 1 100th, BA rating much more useful in evaluating whether this is a beer I should try based on the information provided.

36. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (6,006) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Won’t disagree with the general thought, but in this specific case (BA and Untappd), there are some distinct differences that are now important because they are “one entity.” There is a possibility the differentiating factors for which people previously had a choice may be gone.

If (how big an of one is debatable) the BA distinctions from Untappd go away (the forums and long review format are oft mentioned in this thread), then a choice that some prefer has been taken away. Because Untapppd owners are the buyers here, the assumption is that such a change towards Untappd would be more likely. This is why people who really like the options BA gives them might now be concerned about how Untappd operates.

I’m one hoping both “styles” merge without much destruction, because there are uses for both.

#316 cjgiant, Feb 26, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  37. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,271) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

But not badgers.

zid, officerbill, 2beerdogs and 4 others like this.
  38. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (5,369) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

From Untappd's perspective - why would they buy out a site if they weren't going to use some sort of the structure involved going forward?

Sure, they could kill BA, but I would think they'd want to purpose it for themselves before exploring that former option. Then again, it makes you wonder how much they'd want these forums with so many people bashing their product/service.

2beerdogs and distantmantra like this.
  39. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (6,006) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Fair point, but for arguments’ sake I’ll go with: to get the data and prevent another competitor from the same and even potentially building stronger competition.

Not that I really want to argue these, but as a thought exercise these come to mind.

40. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (8,125) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.