Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Comment BeerAdvocate app: What features would you like see?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Todd, Apr 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd

Todd Founder
    Staff Member Fest Crew Subscriber

We're aiming to launch a Kickstarter project to help support the creation of a BA app for mobile devices very soon. http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/beeradvocate-mobile-kickstarter-project.8724/

We've asked in the past, and have a good understanding of what people want, but here's your chance before May 1 to tell us what features you'd like to see in the initial app. Can't promise they'll all be there, but we'll take every recommendation under consideration.

So what say all of you?

Thanks in advance for all of you suggestions.

Cheers!

Uwftke26 likes this.
  2. StarRaptor

A quick way to input reviews and barcode scan to rating

3. BrittEBurke

BrittEBurke Events Manager
    Staff Member Fest Crew Subscriber Beer Trader

I'm sure it's been mentioned plenty of times in the past, but it would be great to have a location based feature that shows breweries, bars, eateries, brewpubs, and bottle shops close to you and displays the ratings and reviews.

Thanks for all you do, and I look forward to the Kickstarter and the app!

4. number58

I'd love an Android version. Often times first gen apps go straight for iOS and leave out Android fans.

Uwftke26, JxExM, FEUO and 20 others like this.
  5. meltroha

Latest forum comments, a search link, a pull down for all the info currently on the right of page, and info for alerts and emails. I'd like to see a nice simple dashboard set up, with most used features, and links to the rest.

JxExM, EdTheEdge and blindjack99 like this.
  6. pearceweb

Android for sure as noted above. Also 2nd a way to find bottle shops, bars and breweries when out and about or traveling. This would be really nice and a lot easier than trying to work the full site from a mobile browser. A way like Yelp! to do mobile reviews and then add toi them later and approve them once you are home would also be cool. Again don't forget the Android community just because Apple is cool! :)

mauike, EdTheEdge and OddNotion like this.
  7. admiralcrunch

Android, beer mail and other notifications, BA fest guides.

EdTheEdge likes this.
  8. sommersb

Subscriber

Access to beer ratings, for quick look ups while in the store
    Method for taking notes for a review, with checkbox type abilities so you can enter key bits in a short time (for example for aroma have boxes to check for hay, bready, pine, grapefruit, etc.)

9. caseyf

Beer ratings and place ratings.

I'd most like:
    • Pull up a beer with as few keystrokes as possible (suggestions like the Amazon app is a good start, typing is fast I don't need to be scanning bar codes)
    • View the beer info and reviews
    • Add a "had" or review
    I'd really like:
    • Pull up a place by searching or by distance from a location or the current location
    • View the place info and reviews

10. bpgpitt10

A way for users to input beer lists from restaurants. If I'm at a bar, I can run down through what they have and input what beers they currently have. Even just a picture of current beer menus would be huge.

Basically, I'm saying you should steal beermenus.com concept and integrate it in this site. I'd LOVE to be able to search a place (with all the reviews on this site) AND be able to see what their tap list looks like.

11. bpgpitt10

One more... location based services for bars and stores to see what is near. It'd even be cool if it recommended the top rated local beers if you left your "home" area/state (which you could designate).

blindjack99 likes this.
  12. stupac2

Beer Trader

I don't really care about an app, I'd like to see the normal site be more mobile-friendly. Everything I want from BA I can get from the site, but navigating it on a phone screen is a bit of a pain.

JxExM, kawilliams81, Mavajo and 7 others like this.
  13. macrosmatic

Beer Trader

Another vote for Android here.

Easily pull up information about a beer (be that keystrokes and/or barcode scanner). Hands down the most important to me.

Quickly see & search my wants, hads & reviews - sometimes I can't remember what I thought about a certain beer. And be able to sort them (by avg. rating, my rating, etc.) like you can on the full site.

I like the suggestion above (#6) for a way to start reviews on the mobile device, but be able to edit & fully flesh them out once I'm back in front of the computer. Presently I'm just doing that on the notepad function on the phone.

14. AutumnBeerLove

Beer Trader

• Location services
    • Easy way to update "hads" or write a review
    • User friendly beer mail with notifications
    • Notification service options (to toggle on and off individually) for beer mail, posts in a thread, likes, replies, etc
    • Possibly check-in service for the app only (don't need that clutter on site). It would be a cool way to just meet other BAs after events or just around major cities
    • Store and restaurant reviews
    • User friendly way to view and comment in forums
    • Ability to post photos to forum via phone. Could be nice for the "Late night" threads.

Eriktheipaman likes this.
  15. Michael_TBeer

an #ontapsea type of feature. Taplister is one i've heard of but not used. If I want an IPA, location based service that will find the nearest IPA on tap.

16. nickmorgan11

I'm going to jump on the android train as well. Instant ratings would be great with a quick synopsis of style, taste and even food pairings! If you would work in a beer locator as well that would be clutch. For specialty releases, like when Sam Adams released their 262 I was looking for places to get it or just in general when people are looking for a particular beer, people could "Check-in" a beer to a distributor. Best of luck!

17. adamguillette

Android is a must!

18. adamguillette

Also, I'd love to be able rate beers and store this info. in the cloud.

archishaffa likes this.
  19. marcdalke

A bar code scanner would be the bees knees

20. KTracy

I would have to agree with most others; an android app that easily accesses beer reviews, beer place reviews, my hads, and has something for taking review notes.

EdTheEdge likes this.
  21. lurchingbeast

A breathalyzer feature that won't let you post should you blow over .10

22. cosmicevan

Beer Trader

Easy access to wants/gots lists.
    User friendly conversations.
    Easy way to add pictures (getting all WYSIWYG editor functions would be nice - don't have them now on iPad or droid) - perhaps a feature to take a picture and put it on a post.
    A robust places feature for easily finding bars and bottle shops when on the go...if you could hook that into GPS that would be amazing way to find new places (could even be revenue generating for sponsors/advertising).
    Control panel that lets you easily access updates to threads you are watching/posting in

BritCvS likes this.
  23. CMUbrew

Android version
    Can do reviews
    Find breweries, bars, and shops
    Most importantly, I would like it to allow you to stay logged in until you decide to manually log out. It's a pain to log in on my phone every time I see a thread I want to participate in.

24. bhambeerguy

Don't waste your time on beer finders or tap finders. Owners of bars/stores barely remember to update ever. It'll be pure garbage within 6 months.
    Store/Bar finders thought, definitely.
    Quick review options (i.e. easy 0 to 5 on ASTMO w or w/o comments)
    Similar beer suggestions
    Creating custom wish lists and top 100 lists to check off
    Quick "best glass to use" guide
    Place to enter the price to track where you've bought things and how much you paid (to reference later)

ColdPoncho and BritCvS like this.
  25. ChiefColdBeer

Beer Trader

A searchable database of excuses I can give to my wife when I am out having a cold one with my friends. Also software for the gps that will show my location is at a local library or church when I am actually at the bar. This would actually enhance the first item. Also Android!

CBlack85 and csano like this.
  26. drocpsu

The 3 things I think would be the most useful would be quick access to ratings (to look up a beer while at a bar or store), forums & BMs, and location based integration with Beerfly to quickly find bars/stores/etc in the area.

BritCvS likes this.
  27. emannths

Make the location-based features available to beeradvocate.com users too. Right now, the directory/Beerfly guides suck when trying to search for places near a location. Presumably location-based services will require new ways to access the db, which should be made available to website users in addition to mobile users.

Eriktheipaman likes this.
  28. djbreezy

I would also be interested in some sort of wearable computing, augmented reality feature. Just kidding. Even just the basic features and access to the beer reviews, etc. would be GREAT.

29. rumorsofsurf

Beer Trader

1. Scan Barcode to view Reviews
    2. Quick access to My Wants
    3. Quick access to Top Beers by Style
    4. Top Beers near my location (filter by bar vs. store)
    And please make available for Windows Phone

Prospero and BritCvS like this.
  30. joeebbs

View Places
    View Beers
    - add Beer as a "Had" (if you want to review you can do that on your PC. No need to be ignoring friends/bartender so you can put in your review)
    - Recommendations based on "Hads"
    Beer Mail

I think this would limit turning the app into a full fledged version of what the website is. No need for mass social aspects like the message board and you end up not paying attention to people in front of you at the time.

31. UncleJimbo

UncleJimbo Site Editor
    Staff Member Subscriber Beer Trader

I would like to see the features of a social media app: I want to be able to "check in" to a beer, and have it count towards my "Hads", and to be able to add where I am drinking the beer (i.e, tie it in with the Places database as well as the beer database). I would also like to be able to quickly and easily pull up a beer and see the beer's information, score, etc.

Personally I don't see as much need for being able to write a long review with a mobile app, but I might feel differently if I had an iPad.

Thanks!

jpbebeau likes this.
  32. VncentLIFE

Most importantly BM and to search reviews. I dont need to scan the forums while im out just yet. I can do that when im home.

Oh wait, the ability to regularly access this stuff without constant errors and white screens.

33. jmdrpi

Subscriber

A quick way to pull up a beer's score/review page is most important for me. Second would be a way to enter in some brief review scores/notes, that I can later formulate into a full review write-up.

34. Todd

Todd Founder
    Staff Member Fest Crew Subscriber

As stated numerous times, the site is fine.

You're most likely using an IP/range that has some restrictions on it thanks to a troll, in which case the "issues" you're experiencing are intentional.

But none of this has anything to do with this thread. Drop us an email.

35. LostTraveler

-View places near by or search for placeds by location- and their tap list/beers available if the establishment/store chooses to upload it.

-Alerts to come up for alerts or BMs

-checklists for wishlists/wants

36. mikemerrill

Feature requests for the (long overdue) BA app (in priority order):

1. Ability to very quickly look up reviews/ratings
    a. by typing in the name of the beer (auto-suggest/auto-complete a bonus)
    b. by taking a photo of the barcode on the beer
    c. by taking a photo of the beer label
    d. by saying the name of the beer
    2. Quick access to "best of" lists (perhaps with filtering based on location)
    3. Given a beer, find other beers
    a. from the same brewer
    b. of the same style
    c. also enjoyed by reviewers who enjoyed the beer in question
    4. Ability to quickly rate beers
    a. provide alpha/numerical rating overall
    b. provide alpha/numerical rating per category
    c. come back to complete review when accessing BA via more conventional means (e.g., a computer)
    d. write a full-text review (optionally)
    5. Location-based capabilities including
    a. find reputable craft beer purveyors nearby current location or specific address
    b. ability to check in to location and report each beer so others can see what folks have been drinking at bar X lately (probably more useful than relying on establishments to keep beer lists up to date)
    c. more "social" location-based location features

I'd like to see the app debut in the near term with a rock solid set of minimal set of features and grow from there, incrementally, based on feedback. Even implementing just number 1 above would be awesome, to start. Whatever you do, don't clutter the app with a bunch of half-baked features that nobody will use. The items beyond number 1 are brainstorm. Lots of good ideas in this thread as well.

Maybe the question you should be asking is this: What feature do people want to see most in the initial revision of the BA app?

37. trginter

Beer Trader

I visualize opening the app and seeing six or so large icons. One to bring you to the mobile forums, a integrated barcode scanner, Top 25, ect. Those three are the big ones.

- Integrated Bar Code scanner that automatically links to BA beer page
    - Mobile Forums
    - View top beers of each style

38. trginter

Beer Trader

39. alexipa

Beer Trader

A WP7 app. I've been developing websites, mobile sites, and mobile apps for a long time and know that WP7 apps are the easiest of the three major players to develop for.

Heck, if you surfaced an API, I would make a third party WP7 app on top of it in a matter of hours.

Cinderbike and rumorsofsurf like this.
  40. cmannes

Beer Trader

HeatMap of wants, hads for specific beers/styles/breweries/etc.

So I can bring up the US map, and see that MN gets a lot of Surly Abrasive, and the rest of the US wants a lot of Surly Abrasive. :)

Or more realistically, I can look at the Twin Cities and see a lot of people drinking beer "x", so I'd better head that direction after work and get in on the action.

Lastop and SortaAmbivalent like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe